Who wants to see a change?

How many want to see a change now?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who to fire during the Bye week?

• Fire the GM & HC & DC NOW?
    • Fire the HC & DC
    • Have Nix make Gailey fire just the DC?
    • Wait until the season is over and fire the entire staff?

I like Chan Gailey, and after watching the game against the Titans I realize if given a different priority he might just win more games. Gailey did call a much better game this week. He set up some excellent plays, and for the most part all the players did very well on the offensive side. Chan simply doesn't utilize his RB's in the running game enough or his TE in pass catching enough, and when the chips are on the table at the end of the game he reverted to mostly calling pass plays.

The problems with this current team are twofold, defense and pass priority.

First, the defense has more talent then they are showing on the field. This current DC doesn't blitz at all, and wants only his front 4 to bring pressure. This might have worked 20 years ago, but its not working now. I'd have to say that Gailey's first choice at DC was very bad in trying to switch to a 3-4 without the proper personnel. Now the team added some talent in a 1st round pick at CB, a 100 million dollar DE FA, a healthy Kyle Williams. Yet the defense is playing worse this year with a very experienced 4-3 DC running the show.

Second, the Bills have Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB, not Drew Brees, not Tom Brady. Yet Chan Gailey calls pass plays like he has a super star elite QB behind center. The Bills have a backup QB with a losing record starting. The HC needs to realize this and build a game plan around his 2 super star RB's in Spiller and Jackson. A good HC would realize he is not going to win games by putting the game on the shoulders of a QB like Fitz. However, he can win games by letting his star RB's run wild.

JMHO

Clearly Chan Gailey can do whatever he wants with the team, and this GM doesn't care how Gailey runs the offense or defense.

Does something need to change during the bye week or not... Let the status quo stay the same and perhaps win only 5 games total this season, by getting a good setup for great draft position for next year. Then fire everyone after the season? Then promote Whaley to GM, and actually pay that 10 million to Cowher or someone else?

Have Nix instruct Gailey to run the ball more and just fire the DC?

What do you think?

I'm with you PTR. It makes too much sense, which makes it unlikely. Firing Wannstedt also makes too much sense. Does chan watch the film of the defense? Or just the offense. Does he not see that we basically run the same play, every play? Is he going to tell Wannstedt (because he won't fire him) that he needs to blitz more or does he say "Dave knows defense better than I do, so ill let him fix it? I like chan as an OC and play caller. I think he needs to run the the ball more. I don't think firing him now will help the team. Replace the entire coaching staff, except dehaven and the d'allesandris, at the end of the season. Stache needs to go now before the moral of the defense falls through the floor.

Whatever they do, it better be done soon. It's arguable that many of the players in this team talent wise have what it takes. Well... If there isn't a move soon, they may be ruined forever just like the Juron Bills. Guys like Schobel that had the life sucked out of him. So that when we get a new coach all the guys are just useless.

I'm not sure what games you're watching. Chan didn't call plays like Fitz is a superstar yesterday. He calls screen after screen and short passes caught 5 yards from the LoS. He called the game for Fitz like he's a rookie QB who he doesn't trust.

People can B word about how many times Fitz dropped back to throw yesterday but the fact is that 14 of the team's 27 receptions were by RBs. Screen passes are basically extensions of the running game. FJ and Spiller had a combined 35 touches yesterday - I doubt I've seen more touches from RBs in a game that wasn't a total blowout. Chan called a good game that utilized the strengths of the team and minimized Fitz's accuracy issues. This was apparent in the score - the Bills scored 34 points. Hell, the offense didn't punt until the 4th quarter!

The problem is the defense. Peyton Manning couldn't win more than half his games if he was constantly asked to score over 30 points in order to get a win. That Fitz Int was horrible but the bottom line is if the D was halfway decent that INT doesn't matter because the Bills are winning by 2 TDs.

I'm not sure what games you're watching. Chan didn't call plays like Fitz is a superstar yesterday. He calls screen after screen and short passes caught 5 yards from the LoS. He called the game for Fitz like he's a rookie QB who he doesn't trust.

The problem is the defense. Peyton Manning couldn't win more than half his games if he was constantly asked to score over 30 points in order to get a win. That Fitz Int was horrible but the bottom line is if the D was halfway decent that INT doesn't matter because the Bills are winning by 2 TDs.

THANK YOU.

FItz is a limitation, but he's not the biggest problem, he's not the worst thing from yesterday, and Gailey IS calling plays around his limitations.

Yes, they need to replace him next year - and if Travaris looks like he can step in, fine, we can replace one journeyman mediocre/poor QB with another. The "answer" at QB is hopefully coming in next year's draft - it's not happening this season so forget Fitz and the offense for now - the Bills and their fans are stuck with mediocrity or worse at the game's most important position for this year.

The defense is horrific - mostly because we still have the worst LB's in the league, just as we did last season and haven't added anyone but a rookie 4th rounder.

I trust Kyle Williams on this - I highly reccommend his postgame comments.

Kyle Wiliams made it pretty clear that you can't blame the scheme (IE the Defensive Coordinator) because they easily see on film every week that they aren't executing the defensive calls the way they are supposed to.

In his frustration, he stopped just short of calling out some of his teammates, but I got the sense it wasn't generally Kyle who was blowing his assignments.

Generally, when opposing teams gash you for LONG runs, it's the LB's who aren't doing what they are supposed to, and given that they also look physically overmatched on a regular basis, I thnk the entirety of the problem is pretty clear.

It may also be - as I feared at the start of the season - that some of the players from last year are still having trouble learning the new scheme - this is not uncommon at all - it's a known and constantly repeated fact in the NFL that teams don't get good at a defensive scheme until their second season with it.

It sucks for us to watch, but it is the truth.

I honestly believe the team has improved their talent and they are 1 QB and 2 LB's away from being seriously good. Hopefully Nix can get that done next year.

I honestly believe the team has improved their talent and they are 1 QB and 2 LB's away from being seriously good. Hopefully Nix can get that done next year.

Your post should read...

...they are 1 FRANCHISE QB and 2 PRO BOWL LB's away from being seriously good.

Edited by LabattBlue

People can B word about how many times Fitz dropped back to throw yesterday but the fact is that 14 of the team's 27 receptions were by RBs. Screen passes are basically extensions of the running game. FJ and Spiller had a combined 35 touches yesterday - I doubt I've seen more touches from RBs in a game that wasn't a total blowout. Chan called a good game that utilized the strengths of the team and minimized Fitz's accuracy issues. This was apparent in the score - the Bills scored 34 points. Hell, the offense didn't punt until the 4th quarter!

The problem is, that Chan consistently makes the wrong decisions at the wrong times when the game is on the line. That play call for a pass when your in the lead and in a position to pin them deep even if you can't get a first down is all on Chan. He manages the game horribly when it counts. However I agree, I felt the rest of the game was called perfectly. It's just that one play. Unfortunately it seems like its always that way.

How about starting with a change at QB? You have two weeks. Give Travaris a crash course on a slimmed-down version of Chan's offense. He can't possibly be worse than Fitz is. Heck, bring back VY.

PTR

Yea, thats what most said about ex Bill DC George Edwards, but new DC Dave Wannstedt is much worse. Even if the Bills make a change at QB it isn't going to fix the defense, which I think most feel is by far the biggest current problem with the team.

The Bills scored 34 points and the QB threw for 225 yards, and 3TD's, one INT against the Titans. Which is usually enough points to win in the NFL. but not if your defense gives up 195 yards rushing to a RB who had only been getting 2.9 YPC against other teams.

Remember that Seahawks HC Pete Carrol traded away Jackson for a reason. Carrol put Matt Flynn, and Russell Wilson ahead of the 4 million dollar a year TJ, and they paid Matt Flynn 10 million, and are starting Wilson. Anyway, suppose that the Bills do make a change at QB, and start Tavaris Jackson. Then he even plays well, remember that Chan Gailey is going to force the guy to shoulder the games and make the QB win them which is something that Jackson has had trouble with at crunch time.

Although Jackson's record with Minnesota and Seattle as a starter was 17-17 in Minn & 7-7 in Seattle. The reason the Seahawks and Vikings gave up on Jackson were his crunch time numbers. Numerous fumbles and INT's all when the game was on the line.

I kinda want to see how bad its gonna get. I actually enjoyed that game yesterday. I was cheering so loud yelling "there he is" when fitz through that pick and threw it away on 4th and end the game. Just enjoy the mediocrity.

you'll see how bad it's going to get in 2 weeks when Houston has close to 1,000 yds total offense.

The Entire Coaching staff is CLUELESS! The QB is a mess...Gailey said if you sit a QB that makes a mistake or two then there won't be any starters in the league...what a crock of crap! Fitz makes more than one or two mistakes. He is NOT a decent QB at best. OMG! I can't take this garbage that is on the field any longer! I love the Bills with all my heart, but this is beyond garbage they're putting out!

I've lived all my life in NYC and have put up with a lot of crap from my friends, but this is the lowest of all...

Go Bills!

The problem is, that Chan consistently makes the wrong decisions at the wrong times when the game is on the line. That play call for a pass when your in the lead and in a position to pin them deep even if you can't get a first down is all on Chan. He manages the game horribly when it counts. However I agree, I felt the rest of the game was called perfectly. It's just that one play. Unfortunately it seems like its always that way.

You may have a point but I'm not sure it was the wrong call, just the wrong read and horrible throw (though I'm still not sure it was a horrible throw, it looks like he was trying to throw a back shoulder pass to Jones and there was a miscommunication )

If the Bills run the ball on 3rd and 7 with 3 minutes left and don't get the first down people are screaming that Chan isn't trying to "put the nail in the coffin" and is giving the Titans 3 minutes to score against a D that has been horrible all day long. I'm not confident the D would have stopped them from scoring had the Bills punted there. Hell, they scored with a minute left on the clock, an extra 35 yards in field position may not have stopped them. And if that happened people would be exploding asking why Gaily ran the ball instead of trying to get the first down.

Did you actually read my first paragraph or just skim over the post and make assumptions?

I said:

I like Chan Gailey, and after watching the game against the Titans I realize if given a different priority he might just win more games. Gailey did call a much better game this week. He set up some excellent plays, and for the most part all the players did very well on the offensive side. Chan simply doesn't utilize his RB's in the running game enough or his TE in pass catching enough, and when the chips are on the table at the end of the game he reverted to mostly calling pass plays.

The problems with this current team are twofold, defense and pass priority.

Gailey has a history of calling mostly 4-5 WR shotgun spread sets and forcing the QB to carry the game. This week against the Titans was different for the most part, He called more running plays, except when the game was on the line he reverted back to his pass happy form.

Fred Jackson was averaging 7.8 YPC against the Titans, 9 rushes for 71 yards. Both Spiller and Jackson should have gotten more touches running the ball IMO.

It starts and ends with the head coach. I really haev a hard time believeing every player the Bills have drafted/signed as a FA are all terrible. The HC needs to go, I am tired of hearing I have no answer or that's not how I go about things.

No it doesn't. It starts and end with the OWNER. Gailey is just a PART of the problem, not the ONLY problem.

Edited by LabattBlue

Did you actually read my first paragraph or just skim over the post and make assumptions?

I read your post and was primarily responding to this portion of it:

Second, the Bills have Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB, not Drew Brees, not Tom Brady. Yet Chan Gailey calls pass plays like he has a super star elite QB behind center. The Bills have a backup QB with a losing record starting. The HC needs to realize this and build a game plan around his 2 super star RB's in Spiller and Jackson. A good HC would realize he is not going to win games by putting the game on the shoulders of a QB like Fitz. However, he can win games by letting his star RB's run wild.

I guess I should have quoted that portion. As my post states he did exactly what you're wanting here. He built the game plan around them, got them 35 touches and put up 34 points because of it.

The reason for losses... pretty simple i think..

1- Bad defense (mostly coaching)

2- HC makes bad play calls at critical times...

3- QB is average and not able to overcome #1 and #2 like maybe a Drew Brees would.

I guess the problem is fixing all these things. i REALLLLY wish we never dumped Perry fewell.

Edited by markgbe

How about starting with a change at QB? You have two weeks. Give Travaris a crash course on a slimmed-down version of Chan's offense. He can't possibly be worse than Fitz is. Heck, bring back VY.

PTR

Harrumph!!

Harrumph!!

but why? do you guys think tjackson can put up 35 points and not throw interceptions? If so why is he a backup on the Buffalo Bills and not starting on another team, or even backup of a more successful team?

Edited by markgbe

PTR

I agree, if Jackson has eaten his Wheaties and is suddenly smart enough to learn a playbook that over the course of two months he hasn't been able to. Besides, you are right, you can't possible do worse? Fitz is bad, real bad and he isn't getting any better, he is what you see and nothing more.

but why? do you guys think tjackson can put up 35 points and not throw interceptions? If so why is he a backup on the Buffalo Bills and not starting on another team, or even backup of a more successful team?

What was Fitz when he came here? A career backup who wasn't good enough to be a backup on the Bengals? You might get a disaster if you play Jackson-but you MIGHT NOT TOO! You won't know until you try. He has had much more success winning games starting then Fitz has, so what can it hurt? You either win or lose, and you can't get much worse then losing games you should be able to win with even an average QB. Edited by BuffBill

Chan and Dave need to go....NOW!!!! And there needs to be a change at the QB position. TJax should be given the reigns for the rest of the season, no matter what!!! What's gonna happen....BILLS miss the playoffs?? Anyone really think they can make the playoffs with Fitz as the QB and the Defense as porous as they are??? You can't have a QB throw as many INTs as Fitz does AND have the D as terrible as it is and expect to win...you can do one or the other, but you can't do both and win in the NFL...Fitz is horrible and the Defense blows like an asthmatic hooker....

I agree, if Jackson has eaten his Wheaties and is suddenly smart enough to learn a playbook that over the course of two months he hasn't been able to. Besides, you are right, you can't possible do worse? Fitz is bad, real bad and he isn't getting any better, he is what you see and nothing more.

What was Fitz when he came here? A career backup who wasn't good enough to be a backup on the Bengals? You might get a disaster if you play Jackson-but you MIGHT NOT TOO! You won't know until you try. He has had much more success winning games starting then Fitz has, so what can it hurt? You either win or lose, and you can't get much worse then losing games you should be able to win with even an average QB.

i pretty much agree. i would be on board if it was a Trent Edwards situation where we were putting up 9 points per game. However, there are so many other teams that have QBs that throw a lot of INTs and they still win because their defense can limit points, stop drives..

Edited by markgbe

Your post should read...

...they are 1 FRANCHISE QB and 2 PRO BOWL LB's away from being seriously good.

Depending on how you define "franchise". A top half of the league sort of QB who can threaten a deep pass would be good enough for my definition.

"pro bowl" LB's? Not necessarily - it would be nice to have one at that level if you fancy yourself a top defense, but for now I'd settle for at least one drafted in the first two rounds. It's not like only one LB is selected to the Pro Bowl every year - more like 8 from each conference right?

Sheppard is starting to look like a third-round bust - there's just no indication he can play on passing downs, and isn't special against the run either.

Barnett has clearly hit a wall. Bradham might amount to something - too early to say.

The bottom line to my point is I think they are only one more draft away, and since you couldn't say that last year, I am pretty pleased with the progress, even if the current production still frustrates. Last spring we needed a WR, an OLT, any semblence of a pass rush, LB's, the CB's weren't great, and we weren't at all sure we didn't need a QB too.

Now we need a QB and a couple of LB's. Gilmore and Glenn look great, and for what little action our QB is able to get him, Graham looks fine.

Is Mario dominant? Has Anderson been healthy? No - but if you complain about the pass rush this season, please go back and take a look at the Bills pash rush last season. There is no comparison whatsoever - it may be disappointing now, but it was flat-out embarrassing how long QB's had to throw last year.

Now opposing offenses attack the short zones and run at the edges because our LB's are too slow so they can't cover and they can't make a play in open space, but they definitely do not sit back all day disrespecting the passrush.

Edited by BobChalmers

This game, as well as the three blow-outs, was on the DC. But it's too early to fire him. The bye is next week. This team has the talent to play well. If he doesn't have this D playing respectable football by the Pats game, I say you have to fire hm. This is just embarrassing.

Fitz played a decent game yesterday, one INT aside, and he's not playing badly enough overall to be benched for Wilson or Thigpen. Some call that a lateral move at best, I call it backward. Gailey called a good game; he deserves until the end of the year to right the ship.

They can (supposedly) even spending among the 32 NFL franchises with a salary cap. But they'll never be able to evenly distribute talent across the league for owners, GM's, and coaching staffs. If the latter was possible, Buffalo would remain below the minimum for going on the millennium now.

Ironic given that Polian was on put on the Wall of Fame yesterday. :bag:

How about Nix falls on the sword and retires at the end of the year.

Doug Whaley gets promoted.

I honestly do not want to see another complete reset as long as Wilson is the owner.

If Gailey and Wannsdedt are fired, it is more likely that the Bills will hire the next George Edwards and Steve Fairchild than the next Wade Phillips and Ted Marchibroda.

All these posts are great. My experience with football is limited to being a fan. Other than playing touch or flag football in my youth I know nothing about running a game or team. However I have been involved with enough organizations over the years to know that leadership plays a big role in the success of any organization. Over the last three years, we have heard the refrain that we are rebuilding. OK, I buy into that. We need talented players to compete in the league. Yes, we have a few weak areas. But so does every team in the NFL. No one has a roster of Allstars at every position.

Over the past decade we have had hysterical coaches, unemotional coaches, players coaches, and coaches with southern accents. They bring in their teams of coordinators and give it all they have got. Throughout our team has remained in the doldrums. We win a few and loose more.

I think Gailey is a good guy. But is he and his staff capable of motivating this team? Can he enthuse energy into players so they compete at the highest level? Based on his results so far, I don't think so. However if he gets fired who will we get? My guess is more of the same.

The bottom line is the person doing the hiring is the one we need to call out. Time to pas the reins Mr. Wilson....