I can't do this anymore

The NFL is the only professional team sport I care about. I've been a Bills fan for almost thirty years and all of my time and loyalty goes to them. The Bills are the only team I could imagine rooting for but I just can't bring myself to commit my time or money to such a poor product.

How many years of futility can a fan be expected to endure, or maybe a better question is how much should we be willing to endure? I truly, and stupidly, believed we were on the right path and that this might just be the year. I know the season's not over but does anyone really think this team is going to win in NE or Houston?

I'm still a Bills fan in my heart but I think it might be time to take a leave of absence. I won't be putting any more my resources towards this mess of an organization. It just hurts to much.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been saying this for 30 years myself. They always find a way to lose. My uncle and my grandfather were die hard Bills fans, but they have both passed on to the next dimension, never seeing the Bills win an NFL championship. I fear that I will end the same. I just hope they win one during my son's lifetime (he's 2 months old). We will watch the next game again together my brother. Life goes on.

Edited by distortions

I just don't get wrapped around the axle anymore about this team. They suck and will continue to suck until the team is sold and new owner blows it up and starts over from the top down. So I watch the games expecting to lose and don't buy any Bills gear anymore. I won't even pay for Sunday Ticket anymore. If I don't get it for free I'm not buying it. If Nix wanted to show he is trying to improve this team he would fire Wanny today and hire a new DC to turn the ship around.

The NFL is the only professional team sport I care about. I've been a Bills fan for almost thirty years and all of my time and loyalty goes to them. The Bills are the only team I could imagine rooting for but I just can't bring myself to commit my time or money to such a poor product.

How many years of futility can a fan be expected to endure, or maybe a better question is how much should we be willing to endure? I truly, and stupidly, believed we were on the right path and that this might just be the year. I know the season's not over but does anyone really think this team is going to win in NE or Houston?

I'm still a Bills fan in my heart but I think it might be time to take a leave of absence. I won't be putting any more my resources towards this mess of an organization. It just hurts to much.

How convenient: the bye week is next week. See you in 2 weeks. Have a nice leave.

I just don't get wrapped around the axle anymore about this team. They suck and will continue to suck until the team is sold and new owner blows it up and starts over from the top down. So I watch the games expecting to lose and don't buy any Bills gear anymore. I won't even pay for Sunday Ticket anymore. If I don't get it for free I'm not buying it. If Nix wanted to show he is trying to improve this team he would fire Wanny today and hire a new DC to turn the ship around.

I want to disconnect, I really do, but it's hard not to care. Maybe if I didn't give a **** this futility wouldn't be so painful.

I want to disconnect, I really do, but it's hard not to care. Maybe if I didn't give a **** this futility wouldn't be so painful.

I feel your pain, man. I really do. I share your feelings, I feel like doing the same thing.

After the game today my 8 year old son comes up and say, "Daddy, why do you root for the Bills?" I ask him, "What do you mean?" He replies, "they only make you mad and frustrated, so why do you watch them?"

It's a good point. As long as he's been alive they've only been a source of Sunday frustration and at this point it's pretty much only that something in me that refuses to quit, give up or take the easy route that has me still rooting for them.

I think most Bills fans feel your pain Mike and understand where you're coming from and I'm sure we'll see you back here a few weeks from now when the Bills will figure out a whole new way how to lose.

Edited by MDH

I am fed up with watching these morons too, but my solutions is the Red Zone channel....honestly, the thing is a godsend...they have the Bills on just long enough for you to shake your head at their ineptitude, and then before you know it they flip over to another game that you can focus on. It does wonders for blood pressure and sanity. I may not be able to prescribe meds as an RN, but dammit I prescribe the red zone channel for anyone who can't bear to watch this fuktardism anymore.

I am fed up with watching these morons too, but my solutions is the Red Zone channel....honestly, the thing is a godsend...they have the Bills on just long enough for you to shake your head at their ineptitude, and then before you know it they flip over to another game that you can focus on. It does wonders for blood pressure and sanity. I may not be able to prescribe meds as an RN, but dammit I prescribe the red zone channel for anyone who can't bear to watch this fuktardism anymore.

!@#$tardism is an excellent way to describe how this team is run. Kudos.

It doesn't really matter to me anymore. I pvr the games and watch them in less than an hour and usually laugh at these results, today I shook my at head at the stupididty of not going for 2 on two separate occasions. THat annoyed me more than the late interception. The interception was preventable especially in hindsight, the lack of going for 2 is just a headscratcher

to the OP Mike..... you know you will be back after the bye week.

Its a labor of love......I have asked myself the same question for years now. I can't pull myself away even though I know they are not a playoff team.

We had our run during the Kelly years. We had 4 chances at it and we could not get it done. Seems like we will never get back to that level.

Its depressing but its what we got to deal with. Rather have the Bills than not have a team at all is the only thing I can think of right at the moment.

to the OP Mike..... you know you will be back after the bye week.

Its a labor of love......I have asked myself the same question for years now. I can't pull myself away even though I know they are not a playoff team.

We had our run during the Kelly years. We had 4 chances at it and we could not get it done. Seems like we will never get back to that level.

Its depressing but its what we got to deal with. Rather have the Bills than not have a team at all is the only thing I can think of right at the moment.

At this point? I'd rather have no team to root for. It's that bad.

If Mike is giving up, apocalypse is near. The only thing to confirm it will be Promo saying something critical.

Congratulations Chan, you're close to accomplishing the impossible.

I understand how you feel. I am tired of the Bills' (the whole organization) incredible incompetence.

When I think about other NFL teams, none of them interests me enough to be a fan.

So I guess I am stuck being a fan of a team not committed to winning, and will not let them ruin my day.

It is 1984 all over again.

I have to admit, I let my guard down and like a sucker punch, the loss today hurt. <sigh>

I will not make that mistake again until they give me a reason.

I guess my conundrum was answered whether to root for the Bungles, or just accept they won't beat good teams so just let them tank and enjoy another high draft, Buddy on the hot seat so he'll grab a good free agent, and we rid ourselves of Chan and Wanny.

The problem is what decent coach in his right mind would come here?

Yes it's me. I've undergone a twelve-step and renounced hardcore bills fandom. Now, i'm what you'd call a casual observer looking on with mild interest and amusement at another hindenburgian season.

I feel like I haven't seen you in ages, man!! Great to see you!

Football is supposed to be a pleasant distraction from the real world. My month has sucked hard. Bad breakup. College starts to suck after 5 years. Two rough weeks at work with less income than usual. Death of a relative. Even car trouble. All in the last two weeks. I could have used a win, not that the loss itself makes me feel any worse.

She always told me "I don't know why you waste your time and money on that crap. It's so stupid." Sitting in that stadium as people poured out around me, I felt like she was right. THAT is what sucks worst about today for me. Oh well, at least there's still bacon in my fridge. :thumbsup:

Edited by sodbuster

I no longer give money to the organization. I'll still watch the games, streamed over the internet "free".

If they decide to be serious about the team, I'll show my support with my wallet. But it's obvious they don't give a damn about winning games.

If it really does hurt you that much then you should quit. It is not healthy to let something you have no control over and is as meaningless in the grand scheme of things as a sports team affect you that much.

Football is supposed to be a pleasant distraction from the real world. My month has sucked hard. Bad breakup. College starts to suck after 5 years. Two rough weeks at work with less income than usual. Death of a relative. Even car trouble. All in the last two weeks. I could have used a win, not that the loss itself makes me feel any worse.

She always told me "I don't know why you waste your time and money on that crap. It's so stupid." Sitting in that stadium as people poured out around me, I felt like she was right. THAT is what sucks worst about today for me. Oh well, at least there's still bacon in my fridge. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a tough month man. I can relate. too bad that the old saying "there's plenty of other fish on the sea" doesn't apply to sports fandom. At least when you find a new girl, you wont be considered a bandwagoner.

Keep your head up brother!

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

I have been a hardcore fan since the Joe Ferguson-Joe Cribbs era. However, I really began to tune out about 4 years ago when I canceled by subscription to NFL Sunday Ticket and I have no regrets. Sure, I check for scores online but am so happy I don't waste 3 hours of a valuable weekend day off watching a bad product. Even if they somehow land a franchise QB in the draft (and that's no easy task), there will be at least 3 years before they can legitimely compete in the NFL.

Being a fan of this team wouldn't be so bad if they never gave us a reason to hope. Every offseason they do just enough to suck you back in. I was blown away by the offseason. I was actually stupid enough to tell someone " this might be the best defense the Bills have ever had. That's the part that's so soul crushing. You go into the season thinking maybe, just maybe, this is the year they take that next step. Six games in and you're thinking "I'm a !@#$ing idiot",

In many ways it would be easier if they were just a bunch of guys who fought hard a just weren't good enough.....

Being a fan of this team wouldn't be so bad if they never gave us a reason to hope. Every offseason they do just enough to suck you back in. I was blown away by the offseason. I was actually stupid enough to tell someone " this might be the best defense the Bills have ever had. That's the part that's so soul crushing. You go into the season thinking maybe, just maybe, this is the year they take that next step. Six games in and you're thinking "I'm a !@#$ing idiot",

In many ways it would be easier if they were just a bunch of guys who fought hard a just weren't good enough.....

Thats exactly what they are.... your last sentence said it all.

It was the same thing during the Juaron era.

The koolaid just had more sugar in it this summer. The Bills did actually try this spring and summer and that gave us hope.

But so far Mario is "stealing" money and Anderson is hurt and Wanny is a joke of a DC.

Only reason I watch is because of C.J. and Freddie because they do some amazing things.

How do you think Chicago Cubs fans feel after over ONE HUNDRED YEARS of futility?

I think I'll stick it out.

After the game today my 8 year old son comes up and say, "Daddy, why do you root for the Bills?" I ask him, "What do you mean?" He replies, "they only make you mad and frustrated, so why do you watch them?"

It's a good point. As long as he's been alive they've only been a source of Sunday frustration and at this point it's pretty much only that something in me that refuses to quit, give up or take the easy route that has me still rooting for them.

I think most Bills fans feel your pain Mike and understand where you're coming from and I'm sure we'll see you back here a few weeks from now when the Bills will figure out a whole new way how to lose.

So what did you tell your son?

As for Sodbuster, sorry for your bad week.

I want this team to move so I have a good reason to jump off the band wagon. This loss hurts as much as the debacle against the Pats or 49ers. I was a Fitz defender and a Gailey supporter but I give up. Why not go for 2? No need to kick an extra point, even if you failed on the conversion youre only down by 2. I didnt feel comfortable with 3 minutes to go and Fitz throws the same interception. Stevie was open on the flat and could have got the first down. You could almost predict the meltdown. I hate how our defense gave Chris Johnson one of his best games. Wanny either needs to be on the field talking his guys up on the sideline and be a real leader or just leave Buffalo. Sick of these dinosaurs running this side-show of a team. The loss DOES fall on Fitz because both times he coughs the ball up proved to be costly. Didnt he throw that same interception before? Why not just run the ball to force them to use their timeouts? During the last minute drive, Why is Fitz still dinking the ball 5 yards? Did we throw long at all this game? I finally succumb to the rest of the negative nancys and the realists on the website and say, "You guys were right, Should have listened." Buffalo is going to have to do some serious shaking up this off-season for me to even think of supporting the current regime again. This loss hurt so bad I couldnt enjoy any other game this sunday.

Edited by Smears

Sometime between last season and this season I decided that life was much more than whether or not the Bills win on sundays. I love football. I love the competition, I love the strategy, i love the hits and I love cheering on the Bills. I love it. When the game was over, I sighed, went to the store, got some dinner and ice cream came back and watched more football. My mood didnt change. Its just a game. I love it but I cant let things like a game I have zero control over dictate my mood anymore. Maybe I grew up a bit this year, but I just dont care when they lose anymore. Its not my battle and it is no reflection on me as a person. Thats just me

I can think of many better ways to spend my Sundays. This team is a waste of time.

I won't give up on the Bills, I will just watch a differnt game when they play against Houston.

Also, might I add. This was their first loss this year where they didn't lose by more than 21points! We're getting better!

Edited by Bills!Win!