I never saw this coming regarding Dareus's play....

Kipers Hair

don't really know what to say. shocking doesn't do it justice.

of all the disappointments (mario, fitz, no pass rush, safety play), dareus' sucktitude might be the worst. compounding that problem is the fact that there are a few hall-of-fame type of talents drafted right after him. would certainly be par for the !@#$ing course if we swung and missed again in the top 5 of a draft. he NEEDS to pick it up and play to his "potential" or we're in worse shape than we think.

Dareus, according to the football analytics site ProFootballFocus.com, is the lowest-rated of 77 defensive tackles, and last of all defensive tackles against the run.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz297FUJa9d

Not a big worry. Wanny just needs to get the kid some better "fit(s)". He'll be fine when he has a true NFL coach next season. or he will be gone when his rookie contract expires.

Not a big worry. Wanny just needs to get the kid some better "fit(s)". He'll be fine when he has a true NFL coach next season. or he will be gone when his rookie contract expires.

and then become a fixture in the pro-bowl and goes into the hall as one of the most dominating DTs ever -.-

I'm curious what they had him rated last year when everybody was singing his praises. He didn't just suddenly start sucking. Two things are different - 1) he's dealing with the death of his brother (i.e. his heart might not be into playing atm and I wouldn't blame him) and 2) New defensive scheme and coordinator.

I'd imagine it's a combination of the two. The guy is a talent and if he wants to be good he will be good. My guess is he turns it around at some point this season, I just hope it's not too late.

You know the Bills are the worst team in the NFL against the run, well technically 3rd worst, but they're only 6 yards difference between the Jests and 'Aints.

So how could an individual rank well on a team like that?

Run Defense is a team sport.

Dareus, according to the football analytics site ProFootballFocus.com, is the lowest-rated of 77 defensive tackles, and last of all defensive tackles against the run.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz297FUJa9d

Well, right now the Bills are #30 for run D as a team and that's only because they did OK against KC and the Browns.

It kind of stands to reason the individual players on a team in that position aren't going to be highly rated.

So, if I was the coach and felt he was underperforming because of his recent family tragedy... I would probably do this:

1) Keep him in as starter. Officially dropping him would probably be bad for him and probably bad for team morale given the situation.

2) Call for a LOT of substitution packages with his backup. Assuming his backup is playing better. Otherwise.... do nothing.

Beyond that you just have to give him time to work through it. If he comes back next year and does poorly you deal with it at that time... Hopefully that is not the case. If it hurts his performance for future seasons he should seek help... but I do not think the team can get into that. Right now the loss is too fresh and there is very little anyone can do about it.

I'm curious what they had him rated last year when everybody was singing his praises. He didn't just suddenly start sucking. Two things are different - 1) he's dealing with the death of his brother (i.e. his heart might not be into playing atm and I wouldn't blame him) and 2) New defensive scheme and coordinator.

I'd imagine it's a combination of the two. The guy is a talent and if he wants to be good he will be good. My guess is he turns it around at some point this season, I just hope it's not too late.

Here's a fantasy football related article they put out a few months ago.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/10/fantasy-idp-sophomore-spotlight-marcell-dareus/

And he had no other pass rushers around him. His run grade wasn't the greatest last year, but it was a positive even though Kyle Williams was out for the majority of the year.

Remember...... the guy is dealing with very recent tragedy in his family. There are no 'rules' for how one copes with those type of things. He may not be all that 'into' his job right now. I know he makes millions etc, but he is also human.

Exactly ... The guy is probably still emotionally adjusting and not to mention a new system doesn't help.

Just saw Charley Casserly talking on the NFLN about the Bills defensive line woes...pretty disheartening. I thought Dareus was well on his way to becoming a very good player last year...Casserly insists "if you watch game film" it is obvious that there is something wrong with Mario's arm strength...mentioned that Mario's "hand work" is usually outstanding, but it isn't happening this year. He also said our secondary is experiencing lots of "mental lapses", and our (Wanny's) unwillingness to blitz more often is not helping things...I know this is all stuff we have seen/noticed, but that is the first time I have seen anyone on a national level breakdown our defense, other than just saying it is "woeful" or "hopeless" or "pathetic" etc etc

If we lose Dareus to malaise, we are more !@#$ed than I thought...

Had my doubts too. He lacks the explosiveness and athletic ability like a ngata. He's not a penetrator like Williams. And he doesn't get underneath pads and get leverage like a wilfork. I think partly because he's just too much a wide body makes him an easy target. We could have drafted Peterson or green that I had ahead of him and the media discussed at 3 that would be contributing more. And others of course like watt who werent discussed quite as high are blowing his doors off. Basically another fail due to drafting for need in the making. That stupid 3-4 experiment cost us the troupe and dareus picks in search of a NT :(

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Most experts had Dareus as a consensus top 5 pick. The only two I recall that weren't that high on him were Wes Bunting, who is now a pro scout for someone, and Dave Razzano. Razzano also felt that Aldon Smith and Von Miller were extremely overrated, especially Miller, so there's that.

Dareus was solid last year, just read the below article from PFF, who now ranks him near or at the bottom. It's been a rough year for him, hopefully he turns it around.

https://www.profootb...marcell-dareus/

Edited by bouds

I think that there is one other change from last season. Last season Kyle Williams was injured and Dareus was moved to Williams 3 technique position on the line. This season he is playing the 1 technique between the guard and center and facing more double teaming. Typically the 3 technique players are quicker, penetrating style DTs while the 1 technique guys are the space eating run stoppers. Dareus is not small, but he is more of a 3 technique player and is struggling at the 1.

This was actually a major concern of mine before the season started. I don't think you can be effective vs the run without at least one immovable object in the middle and the Bills don't have one.

What I never saw coming ....... Was the flag for the obvious holding call on Mario in this pic. .. I'm sure there were plenty more in the NE game that never came.

Glad you saw that too, actually both Jets players are guilty. We are a bit spoiled I think sometimes, too used to seeing B. Smith drive or drag two guys like that right into the QB's face. I know Mario's got got to raise his game a bunch but very few of today's players are going to destroy a double team/hold like #78 used to. Looking again at that pic I'd like to see him stop playing so upright as well, someone needs to show him some old Bruce footage.

Edited by angryfan62

I think that there is one other change from last season. Last season Kyle Williams was injured and Dareus was moved to Williams 3 technique position on the line. This season he is playing the 1 technique between the guard and center and facing more double teaming. Typically the 3 technique players are quicker, penetrating style DTs while the 1 technique guys are the space eating run stoppers. Dareus is not small, but he is more of a 3 technique player and is struggling at the 1.

This was actually a major concern of mine before the season started. I don't think you can be effective vs the run without at least one immovable object in the middle and the Bills don't have one.

Good point, but the Bills also run double 3 techs in passing situations. Honestly, our defensive scheme isn't doing anyone any favors, so predictable. Every player on D becomes blockable when offenses can predict/knows where everyone lines up every single down. We don't change a thing, it's the same look over and over.

Glad you saw that too, actually both Jets players are guilty. We are a bit spoiled I think sometimes, too used to seeing B. Smith drive or drag two guys like that right into the QB's face. I know Mario's got got to raise his game a bunch but very of today's players are going to destroy a double team/hold like #78 used to. Looking again at that pic I'd like to see him stop playing so upright as well, someone needs to show him some old Bruce footage.

Watched a sack by Von Millet the other night who outside rushed and dipped his shoulders lower than the linemans waist on cut to the QB.. Guy couldn't get a glove on him. I had to watch it 3 or 4 times to see how he got his pads so low.. Pretty impressive..

Watched a sack by Von Millet the other night who outside rushed and dipped his shoulders lower than the linemans waist on cut to the QB.. Guy couldn't get a glove on him. I had to watch it 3 or 4 times to see how he got his pads so low.. Pretty impressive..

Saw the exact play you're talking about, pulled the move on Sebastian Vollmer, it was really incredible. Couldn't believe how low he got and still maintain balance. Incredible balance.

Edited by bouds

Glad you saw that too, actually both Jets players are guilty. We are a bit spoiled I think sometimes, too used to seeing B. Smith drive or drag two guys like that right into the QB's face. I know Mario's got got to raise his game a bunch but very of today's players are going to destroy a double team/hold like #78 used to. Looking again at that pic I'd like to see him stop playing so upright as well, someone needs to show him some old Bruce footage.

Totally different players with different styles you cant compare. Williams is taller and heavier. And Bruce was VERY unique with how low he could get, maintain his balance, and slide laterally. No way Williams can replicate that

Good point, but the Bills also run double 3 techs in passing situations. Honestly, our defensive

scheme isn't doing anyone any favors, so

predictable. Every player on D becomes block able when offenses can predict/knows where

everyone lines up every single down. We don't

change a thing, it's the same look over and

over.

Which would explain why we look so much worse in the second half. Teams adjust and we don't change a thing.

It is obvious to anyone with a modicum of sense that Dareus is a different player to this point of the season vs. last year. That doesn't just happen in a vacuum. He is lacking the same passion for the game and isn't showing the joy and fun on the field that was so apparent last season. He is in the grieving process and those five stages aren't linear, so let's all step back and let the kid be. Let him take as much time as he needs. If I were his coach I'd insist on it and let him watch the game in the hopes that will help him rediscover his passion.

Anyone who would call him a bust or question his athletic ability and technique, doesn't know WTF they are talking about. Perhaps some of the most ignorant posts I've seen around here and that's saying a lot.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Dareus is on pace for an 8 sack season for an interior line man that is pretty good.

Its not like they are running right at him.

This thread is beyond retarded.

The Bills had 6 straight Quarters of bad defense therefore Dareus sucks. Genius!

Dareus is on pace for an 8 sack season for an interior line man that is pretty good.

Its not like they are running right at him.

This thread is beyond retarded.

The Bills had 6 straight Quarters of bad defense therefore Dareus sucks. Genius!

Agree X 30 Dareus was great last year.....Let's settle down with the dareus bust nonsense

He's a bust. I thought he was a stiff before we drafted him out of Alabama. Slow and stiff. Possibly worse than the Whitner draft, considering he went #3.

Really? You thought he was slow and stiff after watching the Michigan State game? I call baloney.

All these experts who "had their doubts" about Marcell were no where to be found last year. The guy had 5.5 sacks as a rookie at DT/DE. That is the most Kyle Williams has ever had. So all you people who are now saying Marcell is a bust/wasted pick after 5 weeks are full of crap. If you guys can't see a cause and effect between his brothers death and his play, then I don't know what to say.