Farmer completely eaten by his hogs

This is a serious issue, and it never gets much attention. Many die from hogs ever year. Children can be devoured in minutes. Adult men can be overcome and be victims, as well. Hogs are one of the most dangerous forms of livestock if handled poorly. There is a reason they say do not sit down in a hog pen.

On another bit of farming notes; NC raises $73 billion from agriculture a year, 2/3 of that from livestock.

PS: anyone here who would think I would not reply to this thread...pfff, yeah. Right.

Edited by jboyst62

This is a serious issue, and it never gets much attention. Many die from hogs ever year. Children can be devoured in minutes. Adult men can be overcome and be victims, as well. Hogs are one of the most dangerous forms of livestock if handled poorly. There is a reason they say do not sit down in a hog pen.

On another bit of farming notes; NC raises $73 billion from agriculture a year, 2/3 of that from livestock.

PS: anyone here who would think I would not reply to this thread...pfff, yeah. Right.

Eet mor cowz!!!

Out in British Columbia there was a pig farmer who was killing woman (mostly hookers I believe) and he would feed the bodies to the pigs, guess they will eat almost anything

Is it true that Chickens can be just as bad? I thought I had heard somewhere that it can be dangerous if you get hurt in a chicken coup....

Out in British Columbia there was a pig farmer who was killing woman (mostly hookers I believe) and he would feed the bodies to the pigs, guess they will eat almost anything

I think his name was Robert Pickton.

Is it true that Chickens can be just as bad? I thought I had heard somewhere that it can be dangerous if you get hurt in a chicken coup....

Or earthworm farms. Very risky. One of the most dangerous jobs in the country...

Hence the expression "as greedy as a pig".

I am unsure 100% about chickens, but from what I have heard and know about them, they'd hurt you if you laid there idle for an hour or so. They are scavengers, and will prove it by whatever they eat.

Pigs would have you gone in less then 20 minutes. Cows really won't do much to rip you apart, although I have been bit by a few (once I know was on purpose as I was working it in the chute). Nearly had my leg broken being kicked by one and had to crawl 200 yards in the middle of a summer night. Had my lariet around one and went to unhook it, something spooked the steer (800 lbs.) and it just took off dragging me across the barnlot stepping on me etc. Yeah, those a-holes have really messed me up a few times.

And if you've ever seen how they harvest earthworms, it's pretty funny. Go out at night in a field and pick them up.

I am unsure 100% about chickens, but from what I have heard and know about them, they'd hurt you if you laid there idle for an hour or so. They are scavengers, and will prove it by whatever they eat.

Pigs would have you gone in less then 20 minutes. Cows really won't do much to rip you apart, although I have been bit by a few (once I know was on purpose as I was working it in the chute). Nearly had my leg broken being kicked by one and had to crawl 200 yards in the middle of a summer night. Had my lariet around one and went to unhook it, something spooked the steer (800 lbs.) and it just took off dragging me across the barnlot stepping on me etc. Yeah, those a-holes have really messed me up a few times.

And if you've ever seen how they harvest earthworms, it's pretty funny. Go out at night in a field and pick them up.

I thought hogs domesticate down the quickest? Even farm raised hogs can be dangerous? I suppose in great numbers they can be like piranhas! Do they even eat the skeleton/bones?

I thought hogs domesticate down the quickest? Even farm raised hogs can be dangerous? I suppose in great numbers they can be like piranhas! Do they even eat the skeleton/bones?

Farm raised pigs just do not care. When it is time to eat, they'll eat. If there is a bore in there and he is aggressive he will shirley knock you down. You can raise a pig to be a domestic pet, just like you can a dog, but both of them are omnivores.

The hogs/pigs/swine will eat some bones, too. Just like alligators, they just pass it through.

Farm raised pigs just do not care. When it is time to eat, they'll eat. If there is a bore in there and he is aggressive he will shirley knock you down. You can raise a pig to be a domestic pet, just like you can a dog, but both of them are omnivores.

The hogs/pigs/swine will eat some bones, too. Just like alligators, they just pass it through.

I do admit... I give a big fist pump when Old Yeller handles those wild boars when Travis falls among them pigs!

What movie is this from?

Heh JBoy, I was reading an article where a dude in Mass. had 50 cows stolen from him and they showed up in Pa. at an auction. My question is can you microchip cows like you can a dog?

Isn't the south US battling a huge problem with wild boars / pigs?

More than the south now, They are migrating north very quickly. Although there are not many in the state yet, NY now has open season on them if you have a hunting license. Any number at any time. They breed very quickly and adapt well to many climates. I look forward to hunting them when they inevitably make their way into NY.

Edited by chknwing334

What movie is this from?

Heh JBoy, I was reading an article where a dude in Mass. had 50 cows stolen from him and they showed up in Pa. at an auction. My question is can you microchip cows like you can a dog?

Yes. People do it, too. You can also use RFID's tagged in their ear. Some people still brand, and about everyone tattoos inside their ear.

Cattle rustling is alive and well in this country. Guy with a trailer and 2 cows on it may drive around all day stopping at farm to farm asking if someone has some for sale. He's from Mississippi and hauling back, but the sale only had two good ones. He saw yours out there in the pasture and they look real good. He'll gladly buy a few from you so he doesn't travel back empty. The thing is, the sale was arranged previously and he doesn't have any cash on him. He will mail you a check, it'll be about a week.

or

If you know someone that has a farm and it is unattended, you just back up the truck, load'm up and leave.

More than the south now, They are migrating north very quickly. Although there are not many in the state yet, NY now has open season on them if you have a hunting license. Any number at any time. They breed very quickly and adapt well to many climates. I look forward to hunting them when they inevitably make their way into NY.

If anyone bags some boar let me know. I'll buy any extra meat you have.

Maybe that works where you live. Where we currently reside said thief will end up the guest of honor at a blanket party. Cameras are alive and well.

I live near a landfill. They have a camera that can read a license plate at 300 yards...AT NIGHT.

However, most farms around here don't have cameras, don't really have anything, actually.

If anyone bags some boar let me know. I'll buy any extra meat you have.

Shipping is so freaking expensive, though... My god, I didn't think it'd be much when I talked to you about shipping it. I couldn't imagine paying a couple hundred.