Geno Smith is amazing

Bangarang

I follow WV closely as I am from there. I will withhold until he plays an actual defense who can pressure him. So far, he has had all day to throw the ball. I'd like to see how he does under pressure. However, arm strength, mobility, etc. is all there, he could be real good.

He's good, but remember this is the offense that produced Graham Harrell and Kase Keenum. Like Tito I'm holding off on the hype until I see him against a few other defenses. Still a very impressive game today, can't take that away from him.

Right now I still have him graded in the 3rd to 5th round category

Edited by WVUFootball29

None of the guys who passed for over 600 yards in college football every did a thing in the NFL.

There it is...I knew it wouldn't make it to 5 responses without a negative one...to the OP, yes, he's freaking awesome. So fun to watch. He really does look like a pro already, I'm not saying he will be a day one starting stud, but he doesn't look like a college qb to me.

The decisiveness that he has, the touch on the deep throws are a big part of why he's the best QB in College Football. This Kid is a special player, end of story. Like the analyst said during the game today, the majority of his throws are not these little dink n dunk screens, many are 10-15 yds down field or more, and the fact that he has been so smart with the football only goes to show how much he has improved over the last few yrs.

at this pace he could easily end up going #1 overall.

Edited by CarolinaBill

unless we lose the next 13 we have no shot at him...

and there is no way we owuld ever give up 3... 1st rd picks to move up.

My fear is we knock brady out for the year tomorrow, and Pats go on for a 2-14 seaosn and 1st over lal pick.. Or even if they made it into the top 10 they have so many stock piled picks they would be able to do what Indianpolis did .. Peyton goes down and they end up with Luck

Edited by shibuya

I dont think that is the game to establish pro potential.... it was a basketball game.

I am disregarding his numbers in my evaluation. What impressed me was his poise, his accuracy, his decision making, and his ability to make very difficult throws look routine both by jamming them with raw arm strength into tight windows and with precision touch passes thrown where only the receiver could make a play. Edited by TakeYouToTasker

He's good, but remember this is the offense that produced Graham Harrell and Kase Keenum. Like Tito I'm holding off on the hype until I see him against a few other defenses. Still a very impressive game today, can't take that away from him.

RGIII went 2nd overall. with slightly worse stats through 4 games

For those of you keeping score at home, so far in this thread we have the following:

1) Geno Smith will be a bust because he threw for over 600 yards today

2) Geno Smith will go in rounds 3-5

3) The worst possible thing that can happen is that the Bills knock Brady out for the season tomorrow and the Pats lose the rest of their games

RGIII went 2nd overall. with slightly worse stats through 4 games

Stats do not equal draft slot.

Unless you are talking arm strength, accuracy, leadership or other such characteristics in your evaluation you are doing it wrong. I haven't seen enough to weigh in heavily (and I kind of hate weighing in on qbs), but.... Stats aren't where you make this evaluation.

Edited by NoSaint

Stats do not equal draft slot.

Unless you are talking arm strength, accuracy, leadership or other such characteristics in your evaluation you are doing it wrong. I haven't seen enough to weigh in heavily (and I kind of hate weighing in on qbs), but.... Stats aren't where you make this evaluation.

Here are the traits in which I rate Geno Smith with a "High" when reviewing his entire 3 years as a starter:

Arm Strength

Accuracy

On-field Intelligence

Athleticism

Poise

Character

Experience

Productivity

Growth

That's actually about all of the necessary traits now that I think about it. The only thing I cant really rate is Leadership since I am not on the team and havent been around him personally, but I think it's safe to say that he has some decent leadership skills if he has made it this far.

Will the kid be a guaranteed NFL success? No one can or should say that. But I would argue that you would be hard pressed to find a better prospect candidate to stake your team on.

The thing with todays shoot-out and the stats is... this performance is not out of the ordinary for him. Those are just slightly better than his "typical" numbers. He had a career completion % of about 65% before this season. Currently he is at about 80% for the 2012 season. Those arent fluke stats.

One could argue that his stats and success are solely a product of the pass heavy system, but that argument would be wrong. When you watch the kid, he can make all the throws and he makes every throw. We're not talking padded stats by dumping it off and getting YACs, we're talking hitting outs, incredible fades, pinpoint deep balls, etc.

I hate to go all "Buffalo Barbarian" ( ;) ) on the kid, but he is looking very special. And that is what I want our QB to be, very special.

I dont think that is the game to establish pro potential.... it was a basketball game.

Stat-wise, that is true. However it should be noted that this was the first ranked opponent WVU faced this year, and Smith had his best performance yet.

Also, while the stats are gaudy and should be taken with a grain of salt, it was more about the throws during said game. Threading the needle over the middle, perfect touch on fades, dropping the deep ball right in the WRs hands in full stride, pinpoint accuracy on throwing to covered guys so only his WR could get the ball, etc.

The stats are just a bonus and a product of his actual throwing abilities. Baylor scored almost just as many points, yet their QBs stats are no where near Smith's. Smith was doing something right to get those numbers.

Edit: The true test of his season will be the 4 games after next. They have Texas Tech next week, but then go start next week against #12 Texas, and then they go Texas Tech, #7 Kansas St, #15 TCU, OK St., #16 Oklahoma. We should have a much better idea of what this kid is all about by Nov 18th.

Edit of the Edit: Just looked back at the schedule and saw I missed next week's game against Texas. Fixed the edit above. That should be a good one as well!

Edited by DrDareustein

NO way in hell he goes later than the top of the first round, likely top 5 or higher.

Before today I'm willing to wager the majority of you didn't think nearly as highly of Smith as you do right now. The kid is good, there is no denying that. However, he is in his second year with an offensive system that makes a lot of QBs put up amazing numbers. Look at Graham Harrell's numbers in this offense through his college career: Year School Conf Class Pos Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate 2005 Texas Tech Big 12 FR QB 37 55 67.3 422 7.7 8.8 3 0 149.7 2006 Texas Tech Big 12 SO QB 412 616 66.9 4555 7.4 7.8 38 11 145.8 2007 Texas Tech Big 12 JR QB 512 713 71.8 5705 8.0 8.5 48 14 157.3 2008 Texas Tech Big 12 SR QB 442 626 70.6 5111 8.2 9.0 45 9

Now look at Case Keenum in the same offense: Year School Conf Class Pos Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate 2007 Houston CUSA FR QB 187 273 68.5 2259 8.3 7.7 14 10 147.6 2008 Houston CUSA SO QB 397 589 67.4 5020 8.5 9.2 44 11 159.9 2009 Houston CUSA JR QB 492 700 70.3 5671 8.1 8.4 44 15 154.8 2010 Houston CUSA JR QB 42 64 65.6 636 9.9 8.0 5 5 159.3 2011 Houston CUSA SR QB 428 603 71.0 5631 9.3 10.6 48 5 174.0

Now lets look at Geno's career through today: Year School Conf Class Pos Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate 2009 West Virginia Big East FR QB 32 49 65.3 309 6.3 5.8 1 1 120.9 2010 West Virginia Big East SO QB 241 372 64.8 2763 7.4 7.9 24 7 144.7 2011 West Virginia Big East JR QB 346 526 65.8 4385 8.3 8.9 31 7 152.6 2012 West Virginia Big 12 SR QB 96 118 81.4 1072 9.1 11.1 12 0 191.2

Excellent numbers, but eerily similar to the future HOFers Harrell, and Keenum.

Geno is having a great start to the year, but so far Baylor is the only solid team they've played and this game was an offensive anomaly. We play Texas in Texas next week, which should be a much better barometer than this game was. If he holds up well against teams like Texas, KSU, OU, and such and performs well against that kind of competition then yes I could see him at the top of a lot of draft boards. Right now, I'm going to err on the cautious side.

Sorry the stats look awful. where did the table button go?

WVU, you (and others) need to join our discussion we've been having all month on Smith and the other QBs. Smith has been my guy since August. :thumbsup:

http://forums.twobil...fti-knowi-know/

But yes, there will be a lot of people that just jump on the bandwagon after today's performance.

And while the system has definitely helped his numbers, he was producing even as a sophomore during his first year starting, in a completely different system:

Geno Smith - QB - West Virginia

6-3, 214lbs, Miami, 4yr Snr

2010 241/372 (64.8%) 2763yds 24TDs 7INTs

2011 346/526 (65.8%) 4385yds 31/7

2012 141/169 (83.4%) 1728yds 20/0 through 4 games...

He's 4 games in and has nearly as many TDs as incomplete passes, and 0 INTs. That's saying something regardless of scheme.

Edited by DrDareustein

This. He was throwing to WIDE OPEN receivers all day. He made the throws but no real analysis

can be made other than he can throw the ball real far. Could be the next RG3 could be the next Ty Detmer.

Edited by inkman

This. He was throwing to WIDE OPEN receivers all day. He made the throws but no real analysis

can be made other than he can throw the ball real far. Could be the next RG3 could be the next Ty Detmer.

Not completely true, but Im not going to argue about this one single game. Especially this early in the season. We'll just all have to continue watching over the next 6 weeks.

He reminds me of Jamarcus Russell.

HAHAHA Yes!! Get it started!! :thumbsup:

Not to keep race in the mix, but he does draw (rightful) comparisons to Cunningham.

while i agree that its a must to see him vs better defenses, i again point to RGIII. i am too lazy to search things, but i guess there have been a lot of doubters week 4 last college season. with exact the same reservations about the style of play, the quality of opposition and so on.

in the end, he went #2 overall and some " experts " went on to say the colts made a mistake with still picking luck over RGIII.

of course time will tell. but so far he is off to a great start. and has a world class arm. and is a little bigger than RGIII.

so, if he keeps this up, yeah. he is worth a boatload of picks.

and if not he may well end up beeing a 3rd to 5th round flyer. why not.

Geno Smith - QB - West Virginia

6-3, 214lbs, Miami, 4yr Snr

2010 241/372 (64.8%) 2763yds 24TDs 7INTs

2011 346/526 (65.8%) 4385yds 31/7

2012 141/169 (83.4%) 1728yds 20/0 through 4 games...

What is most impressive about these statistics is the TD to Interception ratio - 75 TDs to 14 Interceptions. No matter what the system, those are incredible numbers. I would say, future franchise QB numbers.

Edited by CSBill

In the limited number of snaps I've seen him take, mostly on youtube vids, what stood out to me most was pocket awareness....this guy has eyes in the back of his head! He feels the rush like he's psychic.

What is most impressive about these statistics is the TD to Interception ratio - 75 TDs to 14 Interceptions. No matter what the system, those are incredible numbers. I would say, future franchise QB numbers.

It's an impressive stat but in scouting qbs, stats can easily mislead. Again I'm not saying he won't be great but even a late round flop like colt Brennan had a single season with a 58-12 ratio, or a graham Harrell with 134-34 for his college career (again a late rounder).

You want to see statistical success, but again I'll say if your discussing that primarily and not how well the ball comes out of his hand compared to other top picks... What's between his ears and connected to his shoulders in comparison to peers at that level.... You aren't having a meaningful talk.

How tight is his throw compared to Cam? How is his decision making (audibles, progressions) compared to luck?

The next test will be doing it on a big stage against teams that are real peers talent wise. He's got some heavyweight fights coming up quick. I hope to see more so I can chime in more confidently about GS and not just the process

I really look forward to seeing more of him.

Those of us that follow college ball and like Geno like him as a QB because how he looks throwing the ball, making decisions, etc. The die-hard college ball fans don't take his raw stats into account.

See, that's one of the better endorsements yet in here. I'd love to hear more detailed info from you.

I follow WV closely as I am from there. I will withhold until he plays an actual defense who can pressure him. So far, he has had all day to throw the ball. I'd like to see how he does under pressure. However, arm strength, mobility, etc. is all there, he could be real good.

Watch the video on youtube from the LSU game from last year...his pocket presence is amazing. He also had several beautiful passes that his receivers botched. I really had no idea about the guy until I was directed to these videos. The guy is a gamer and LSU's defense was no joke.

Geno Smith has the largest nostrils of any human, ever...

he HAD to have had a nose picking problem as a child

oh, my, god.....

Barkley throws picks.

Geno nose picks?

Let him pick away on our sideline and dribble all over the ball -- as long as he throws those touchdowns. Eight TDs versus six incompletions is ridiculous, regardless of the level of football.

BA

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.