Fred "Two Face" Smerlas

PromoTheRobot

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Smerlas-Would-Have-Been-A-Bill-Forever/8690a2fb-7b28-42ad-b69a-66ce0a28fa85?campaign=BillsBuzz

I loved Fred Smerlas as a Bill. I know he was heartbroken when Marv Levy replaced him with Jeff Wright right before the Bills Super Bowl run. But living in NH I hear Fred on Boston sports talker WEEI, and he regularly put down the Bills, Ralph Wilson, and the city of Buffalo when he is on the air. He can be pretty harsh.

But then Fred is more than happy to to put on a smile and come back to Buffalo to sign autographs and such. He just strikes me as a two-face. When I saw this article, I thought back to what he would say on Boston radio and think "yeah, right."

PTR

http://www.buffalobi...paign=BillsBuzz

I loved Fred Smerlas as a Bill. I know he was heartbroken when Marv Levy replaced him with Jeff Wright right before the Bills Super Bowl run. But living in NH I hear Fred on Boston sports talker WEEI, and he regularly put down the Bills, Ralph Wilson, and the city of Buffalo when he is on the air. He can be pretty harsh.

But then Fred is more than happy to to put on a smile and come back to Buffalo to sign autographs and such. He just strikes me as a two-face. When I saw this article, I thought back to what he would say on Boston radio and think "yeah, right."

PTR

You can say that was the biggest mistake of 1990, cutting Smerlas and not getting a clog the middle NT. Had Bills kept Smerlas or signed free agent Jim Burt, it would have been a different outcome in the Superbowl.

PTR

All part of his tired act.

You can say that was the biggest mistake of 1990, cutting Smerlas and not getting a clog the middle NT. Had Bills kept Smerlas or signed free agent Jim Burt, it would have been a different outcome in the Superbowl.

I'm not sure it was a coincidence that they put him on Plan B after the '89 season. That season was full of locker room turmoil and Fred doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who'd keep his mouth shut or try to make peace in a situation. IIRC he was very outpoken during the 1987 strike and his record after his career speaks to his outspokenness as well. Speaking up is fine so long as it's productive, Fred didn't always strike me as productively speaking out, he seemed more like an opinionated loudmouth.

We can wax poetic about how we would have been better in 1990 with him but what did he actually do after he was claimed by San Francisco on Plan B? He played in 6 games, didn't really do anything, and got hurt. He hung on 2 more years with some frankly awful Patriots teams and didn't really do much there either. What's more likely is that after 10 years of playing every snap at a high impact position he was just done and the Bills knew it, only Fred didn't.

After looking, what's unreal is that Steve Tasker was exposed on Plan B after the '88 AND '89 seasons.

He wasn't cut, he was a free agent, and opted to go to San Fran.

Technically we designated him for Plan B (which to TSW youngsters was an early form of free agency that was only around a few years in the early 80s, late 90s before being deemed to violate antitrust laws and abolished). It’s not too much different than him being cut. The Bills basically told him his services were no longer needed and he was free to sign with any other team. That was when teams basically owned the players rights regardless of contract status. The Bills could have kept him if they wanted to.

I'm not sure it was a coincidence that they put him on Plan B after the '89 season. That season was full of locker room turmoil and Fred doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who'd keep his mouth shut or try to make peace in a situation. IIRC he was very outpoken during the 1987 strike and his record after his career speaks to his outspokenness as well. Speaking up is fine so long as it's productive, Fred didn't always strike me as productively speaking out, he seemed more like an opinionated loudmouth.

We can wax poetic about how we would have been better in 1990 with him but what did he actually do after he was claimed by San Francisco on Plan B? He played in 6 games, didn't really do anything, and got hurt. He hung on 2 more years with some frankly awful Patriots teams and didn't really do much there either. What's more likely is that after 10 years of playing every snap at a high impact position he was just done and the Bills knew it, only Fred didn't.

After looking, what's unreal is that Steve Tasker was exposed on Plan B after the '88 AND '89 seasons.

As much as I loved Smerlas, this is the most well balanced and probably correct reflection on his theoretical impact on the 1990 Bills. As for the bolded, didn't we actually acquire Tasker of Plan B from Houston? Pretty incredible that we trusted him after he had previously reneged on just such a "gentlemen's agreement" that he wouldn't sign elsewhere.

I don't doubt PTR's assessment about Smerlas' radio persona in NE, but it is disheartening. He was a favorite of mine as a kid in the 80s--- I had always heard he wore a Buffalo Bills t-shirt underneath his 49ers and Patriots gear after he left because he was so devoted to the Bills. Perhaps nothing more than mythologizing.

Fred is bitter that the Bills organization has never put forth a campaign for his HOF bid. He loves the time he spent in Buffalo, but feels he was abandoned by the organization, and he holds a grudge. Can't say I blame him, either.

Smerlas was not a HOF player. If he is holding a grudge on the bills against that he is dumber then he looks which is really saying something. This was a few years back when Smerlas used to come on the Howard Simon show on Fridays in the morning & the week of the Patriots game he was acting really arrogant & putting the Bills organization down saying they are going to get killed & they don't have a chance against Brady/Bellicheck & Simon blew a gasket. He went off on Smerlas. It was hilarious. I mean Freddy was right but it was still funny hearing Simon getting all worked up over it.

Fred would also shovel crap on the Bills on his WHAM radio show with Bob Matthews. Anyone ever listen to that. I can't quote what Fred said specifically on WEEI but the gist was 1) The Bills are a mickey mouse operation, 2) Ralph is a terrible owner 3) the city of Buffalo is a hellhole. (Frankly the first two are common themes here on TBD.)

Actually I can recall one thing: When Buddy Nix was hired Fred said it was a typical cheap Bills move. Nix was too old to have a clue and Ralph was too cheap to hire anybody good (read: famous) and the Bills will continue to suck. Now Fred says the Bills are a good team? I guess he's changed his tune on Nix, or he can't remember the crap he spewed 3 years ago.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Smerlas was not a HOF player. If he is holding a grudge on the bills against that he is dumber then he looks which is really saying something. This was a few years back when Smerlas used to come on the Howard Simon show on Fridays in the morning & the week of the Patriots game he was acting really arrogant & putting the Bills organization down saying they are going to get killed & they don't have a chance against Brady/Bellicheck & Simon blew a gasket. He went off on Smerlas. It was hilarious. I mean Freddy was right but it was still funny hearing Simon getting all worked up over it.

He absolutely was a HOF caliber NT. He was one of the best of his generation.

Fred would also shovel crap on the Bills on his WHAM radio show with Bob Matthews. Anyone ever listen to that. I can't quote what Fred said specifically on WEEI but the gist was 1) The Bills are a mickey mouse operation, 2) Ralph is a terrible owner 3) the city of Buffalo is a hellhole. (Frankly the first two are common themes here on TBD.)

Actually I can recall one thing: When Buddy Nix was hired Fred said it was a typical cheap Bills move. Nix was too old to have a clue and Ralph was too cheap to hire anybody good (read: famous) and the Bills will continue to suck. Now Fred says the Bills are a good team? I guess he's changed his tune on Nix, or he can't remember the crap he spewed 3 years ago.

PTR

Why is everyone always putting Mickey Mouse down?

If he was absolutely a HOF caliber NT then why isn't he in the HOF or even better yet even getting voted on? Take of the rose colored glasses. I have never even heard Smerlas' name be mentioned as a possible canidate for the HOF.

PTR

So I guess he should have stayed around Buffalo and done nothing with his life but wave a Bills flag around (what Jim Kelly is doing-after he failed in every other post career venture.)

How come everyone forgives Kelly for the ultimate Buffalo diss (pooting about having to go to Buffalo) but has problems with Fred Smerlas?

So I guess he should have stayed around Buffalo and done nothing with his life but wave a Bills flag around (what Jim Kelly is doing-after he failed in every other post career venture.)

How come everyone forgives Kelly for the ultimate Buffalo diss (pooting about having to go to Buffalo) but has problems with Fred Smerlas?

1) Kelly had that opinion before coming to Buffalo.

2) Lots of players leave the Bills and play elsewhere but how many trash talk the team and city on radio while coming back to Buffalo for Bills-related events?

PTR

Perhaps because he came to Buffalo and had a hall of fame career that included 4 Super bowl appearances. Oh yeah, and now he is a champion for the city. Remember that charity he runs that raises all that money to help children...what a failure.

D-Line Coach Chuck Dickerson told Marv that Fred was done and that was the biggest reason Fred was let go. Bill Polian was not happy about it either and Bill was present at a farewell party for Fred. Fred held a grudge with Marv until all the facts about his departure were divulged. Fred has always been opinionated and up for debates. Not a strong listener though. Criticizing the Bills front office should not be in any way controversial given the disastrous job they did for so long and he is always upset about the fact that the Bills never develop front office and coaches internally. He is on the inside of the Patriots organization and defends them on a regular basis to my disgust.

He has been nominated for the Hall of Fame several times. He never missed a game for the Bills from 1979-1989 and played in over 200 games total at a very physical position. He made many linebackers look very good for a very long time and beat the crap out of offensive lineman and running backs. He was a force and dominated for years. He had tremendous respect for Kent Hull and I think they both are Hall of Famers.

Edited by Butch Rolle 4 President

D-Line Coach Chuck Dickerson told Marv that Fred was done and that was the biggest reason Fred was let go. Bill Polian was not happy about it either and Bill was present at a farewell party for Fred. Fred held a grudge with Marv until all the facts about his departure were divulged. Fred has always been opinionated and up for debates. Not a strong listener though. Criticizing the Bills front office should not be in any way controversial given the disastrous job they did for so long and he is always upset about the fact that the Bills never develop front office and coaches internally. He is on the inside of the Patriots organization and defends them on a regular basis to my disgust.

He has been nominated for the Hall of Fame several times. He never missed a game for the Bills from 1979-1989 and played in over 200 games total at a very physical position. He made many linebackers look very good for a very long time and beat the crap out of offensive lineman and running backs. He was a force and dominated for years. He had tremendous respect for Kent Hull and I think they both are Hall of Famers.

Additionally, he was a Pro-Bowler 5 times betwen 1980 and 1988, including an All-Pro nomintaion. During that stretch no NT or DT received more accolades. As a side note, he was nominated for Hall of Fame consideration again this year. Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Additionally, he was a Pro-Bowler 5 times betwen 1980 and 1988, including an All-Pro nomintaion. During that stretch no NT or DT received more accolades. As a side note, he was nominated for Hall of Fame consideration again this year.

Fred was a great Bill. Who cares what the New England native says now? He's on the Pats bandwagon big deal. As mentioned before in this thread, him blocking the last second field goal by the Jets, giving Buffalo the division was HUGE! I still remember the goal posts coming down and part of one being delivered to Ralph's suite. What an awesome play and game. One of the best Bills games in Bills history. Smerlas was a gamer, who earned his checks.

Fred Smerlas= great Buffalo Bills player

also

Fred Smerlas= total a-hole

All this talk about Smerlas makes me wonder how the Bills SB's would have turned out if Knox had been retained as HC. Be interesting to see what he could have done with all that talent/

I love Marv... but Knox will always be my favorite Bills HC in my lifetime... it is amazing how great those pre-Super Bowl team defenses were... I know, people will say that they the Bills defense didn't dominate so much in the 4 Super Bowl years (as opposed to the 87-89 teams) because of the no-huddle...and that may be true to a degree, but I think Walt Corey's defensive schemes (if he really had any) left a lot to be desired...they had all-world talent on defense, but had just "pretty good" results. Hell, forget Knox...just think of how different things might have turned out if Wade Phillips had come to Buffalo a little earlier....

Fred Smerlas= great Buffalo Bills player

also

Fred Smerlas= total a-hole

I love Marv... but Knox will always be my favorite Bills HC in my lifetime... it is amazing how great those pre-Super Bowl team defenses were... I know, people will say that they the Bills defense didn't dominate so much in the 4 Super Bowl years (as opposed to the 87-89 teams) because of the no-huddle...and that may be true to a degree, but I think Walt Corey's defensive schemes (if he really had any) left a lot to be desired...they had all-world talent on defense, but had just "pretty good" results. Hell, forget Knox...just think of how different things might have turned out if Wade Phillips had come to Buffalo a little earlier....

Wade Phillips was available in 1989 but the Bills were happy with Corey. Wade went to Denver instead.

No he wasn't. He was a very good player but not a HOF. Of course the HOF has become so watered down with guys like Doleman, Martin and Kennedy getting in that I suppose Smerlas was as good as them.

Edited by vincec

"Plan B free agency permitted all teams in the NFL to preserve limited rights of no more than 37 total players a season. If a player was a protected Plan B free agent, he was incapable of signing with another team without providing his old team the first opportunity to sign him again. The rest of the players were left unprotected, liberated to negotiate contracts with the rest of the teams in the league"

Buffalo Bills 1990 "Plan B" Free Agents

Derrick Burroughs, DB; Joe Devlin, G; Tom Doctor, LB; Darryl Franklin, WR; Mitch Frerotte, T-G; Gale Gilbert, QB; Ronnie Harmon, RB; Richard Harvey, LB; Flip Johnson, WR; John Kidd, P; John Kolesar, WR; Adam Lingner, C; James Lofton, WR; Bruce Mesner, NT; Carl Mims, DB; Matt Monger, LB; Robb Riddick, RB; Fred Smerlas, NT; Art Still, DE; Steve Tasker, WR; Tim Vogler, G.

Smerlas said the Marv never talked to him for more than 30 seconds in 4 years. Going into 1990, he was 33 and a backup. San Fran offered him big money for that time. $750,000+. Some of the names on that list.....this place would have burned down.

PTR

I've heard Fred on the Bob Matthews radio show as well here in Rochester, and I agree, his commentary regarding the Bills can be less than flattering.

However, I don't see how you can really blame the guy. As much as it breaks my heart to say this, the Bills have sucked for the past 12 years, and Fred isn't afraid to say it. The man isn't two-faced, he's a realist.

If you don't like his opinion, there is always Ralph Wilson's personal little minion: Chris Brown. He'll give it to ya straight :sick:

100% Agree.. Fred Smerlas and Tim Krumrie in the 1980's were both touted as the very best nose tackles in the league.. If Fred holds a grudge against the Bills and the city of Buffalo, we don't have to like hearing it, but lets not degrade who he was as a player..