Equipment Manager fired after 35 years?

What's the ''secret story'' behind this?

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120912/SPORTS/120919625

'Bills equipment manager Dave Hojnowski has been fired by the team. Hojnowski was one of the longest-tenured employees in the organization, and was in his 35th year. The Bills had no comment on Hojnowski other than to confirm he no longer is employed by the team. He had been working with the club throughout training camp and preseason. The move apparently came last week. The Bills' equipment staff is headed by Jeff Mazurek, director of equipment operations, and includes two assistant managers.'

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking: AP Wire:

According to sources, Dave Hojnowski was released after it was discovered that he mistakenly substituted Rugby balls for NFL regulation footballs during mini-camp, training camp and regular season practices. Mr. Hojnowski was quoted as saying "they are heavier and larger which gave our guys more of a look as the ball was in flight during their practices." As it turns out, the use of Rugby balls backfired on the team in its opener. Leodis McKelvin was asked if practicing with Rugby balls made any difference in his coverage of WR's. "You betcha" said the first round pick "I could hardly see that little NFL ball go whizzin' by me out there...ya know what I'm sayin'??" Hojnowski had no comment other than a finger salute as he walked away from One Bills Drive in a westerly direction toward Cleveland. More to follow on Twitter at #ByeByeShoulderPadsGuy

According to sources, Dave Hojnowski was released after it was discovered that he mistakenly substituted Rugby balls for NFL regulation footballs during mini-camp, training camp and regular season practices. Mr. Hojnowski was quoted as saying "they are heavier and larger which gave our guys more of a look as the ball was in flight during their practices." As it turns out, the use of Rugby balls backfired on the team in its opener. Leodis McKelvin was asked if practicing with Rugby balls made any difference in his coverage of WR's. "You betcha" said the first round pick "I could hardly see that little NFL ball go whizzin' by me out there...ya know what I'm sayin'??" Hojnowski had no comment other than a finger salute as he walked away from One Bills Drive in a westerly direction toward Cleveland. More to follow on Twitter at #ByeByeShoulderPadsGuy

Hahahaha

Pretty good farce, but the implication that McKelvin gave a comprehensible quote is a step too far.

i wrote in the shoutbox earlier that i met him way back in the early-mid 80's when i had a part time job at the stadium. He seemed like a good guy. Still always see him and woody on the sidelines at games or on TV as they pan the sidelines. I was thinkin maybe they caught him gambling on the games or something. Can't imagine what he did as an immediate fireable offense after 35 years of loyal service?!?

This is a bold in-seson move by the FO. It's good to see they have finally gotten to root of all of these problems.

$20 says little Joey Fragaloni (the kid who runs out to pick up the kicking tee after the return) is in Buddy's office this minute getting lectured on how no position is safe this week.

$20 says little Joey Fragaloni (the kid who runs out to pick up the kicking tee after the return) is in Buddy's office this minute getting lectured on how no position is safe this week.

Awaiting the thread that explains how Hojo was responsible for the 2010 draft.....

What's the ''secret story'' behind this?

http://www.buffalone...PORTS/120919625

'Bills equipment manager Dave Hojnowski has been fired by the team. Hojnowski was one of the longest-tenured employees in the organization, and was in his 35th year. The Bills had no comment on Hojnowski other than to confirm he no longer is employed by the team. He had been working with the club throughout training camp and preseason. The move apparently came last week. The Bills' equipment staff is headed by Jeff Mazurek, director of equipment operations, and includes two assistant managers.'

Gotta blame someone for last weekend debacle in New Jersey, because it certainly wasn't the coaches or players fault.

Somebody's gotta take the blame for those hideous "collars!"

Right! Some teams opted for the more subtle collar change, but the one that the Bills, Broncos, etc etc have looks almost like one of those silly tuxedo shirts...or like they should have a bow-tie printed on the front. Who, in the NFL, approved these hideous things? I haven't purchased a new jersey (was seriously considering it) but I can't buy one of those. When they show them up close, say, when a player is being interviewed, they just look like something was torn off their jersey collar..awful look. Too bad, cuz other than that detail, love the Bills "new" uniforms.

Right! Some teams opted for the more subtle collar change, but the one that the Bills, Broncos, etc etc have looks almost like one of those silly tuxedo shirts...or like they should have a bow-tie printed on the front. Who, in the NFL, approved these hideous things? I haven't purchased a new jersey (was seriously considering it) but I can't buy one of those. When they show them up close, say, when a player is being interviewed, they just look like something was torn off their jersey collar..awful look. Too bad, cuz other than that detail, love the Bills "new" uniforms.

Seriously...I don't know WHAT they were thinking with those...just turrible.

Seriously...I don't know WHAT they were thinking with those...just turrible.

I agree, don't hate the white jerseys with the blue collar quite as much, but those white collars-ugh! I know when Nike initially took over I read somewhere that there was limited changes they could make because the uniform change was only one year old, so I am sure Nike had to put their stamp on it somehow to make it look different from the previous jersey, if not just to sell more of them. It does look ridiculous, and not sure why they couldn't just keep the collar blue like other teams stayed one color. And what is up with the material or whatever it is, watch just about any game and the player have a symetrical square of sweat on their stomachs? Edited by BuffBill

Now this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is very high quality stuff. Thanks :worthy:

Edited by Pneumonic

FWIW, the linked Buff News artcle now sez RETIRED. If it really is retiring, I can only think of a personal issue, likely health for this to happen at this time, especially w/ no explanation. If it was a dismissal, then I'm curious as to what prompted it.

They changed the wording...

Bills equipment manager Dave Hojnowski has retired. Hojnowski was one of the longest-tenured employees in the organization, and was in his 35th year. The Bills had no comment on Hojnowski other than to confirm he no longer is employed by the team. He had been working with the club throughout training camp and preseason. The move apparently came last week. The Bills' equipment staff is headed by Jeff Mazurek, director of equipment operations, and includes two assistant managers.

Because Ralph is cheap

This is a bold in-seson move by the FO. It's good to see they have finally gotten to root of all of these problems.

:lol: These are funny.

This one too.

Edited by vincec

MAN, THOSE ARE HIDEOUS!

I was gonna start a thred to ask about those, but wasn't sure when they started.I also noticed they are not the only ones with them.

I mean, the outcry for the damn things is practically universal. There's NOBODY out there who likes them, and I have yet to find someone who DOESN'T have an opinion about them...WTF!?

MAN, THOSE ARE HIDEOUS!

I was gonna start a thred to ask about those, but wasn't sure when they started.I also noticed they are not the only ones with them.

It's been covered many times. Long story short, the collars have to do with the Nike flywire technology being unable to make the front part any color but the same color as the jersey.

FWIW, the linked Buff News artcle now sez RETIRED. If it really is retiring, I can only think of a personal issue, likely health for this to happen at this time, especially w/ no explanation. If it was a dismissal, then I'm curious as to what prompted it.

I haven't heard anything health related and this certainly is news to me. I know him very well, he's a great guy! His daughter is dating one of my best friends so he usually gets us VIP passes for training camp every year and occasionally in the locker room to meet a bunch of the guys. I'll have to talk to my friend and see what the deal is...

EDIT: I just talked to my friend and he said they apparently gave him an option for an early retirement, most likely to get somebody younger started, so he took it.

He's a great dude, I wish him the best in retirement!

Edited by Wooderson

It's been covered many times. Long story short, the collars have to do with the Nike flywire technology being unable to make the front part any color but the same color as the jersey.

I haven't heard of this...do you have a link for further reading? I guess I don't understand--if that's the case--why the rest of the collar has to be a DIFFERENT color...