What do we want Fitz to be

Fitz is confident and is willing to throw it in tight spaces. If you have been a fan of the Bills for more that two years, you should be able to picture the touchdown passes to Nelson where he picked the ball basically off of the linebacker helmet for the touchdown as well as the touchdown to Chandler against the Raiders last year that should have been an easy pick. The question is: with a better defense, do we want him to be more conservative or just be himself with the probablility of more interceptions.

I say let him do the same thing that he is doing and let the coaches coach the game. We have enough talent now around him (healthy) that worrying about interceptions is a waste of energy. If our defense is that much better that unit should be able to cover for any errors to a certain level.

I'm hoping his time with David Lee will lead to him being able to put it where fewer defenders have a play on the ball, and to hit timing routes with precision. I do agree with the Cap'n - in crunch time it's nice to see him not shying away from the challenge, but a lot of the reason that a guy like Tom Brady succeeds lies in his ability to lead receivers and his sharp timing. I'd like to see these from Fitzy.

What do I want him to be?

Early 2000's Rich Gannon/Brad Johnson or mid 2000's Jake Delhomme. Feed the ball to your dynamic running backs 25 times a game and don't make a costly error when its your turn to throw the ball. That, along with a good D, will win you games and got 3 very mediocre QB's to the playoffs multiple times and all to the Big Game once.

Edited by JM57

Fitz is confident and is willing to throw it in tight spaces. If you have been a fan of the Bills for more that two years, you should be able to picture the touchdown passes to Nelson where he picked the ball basically off of the linebacker helmet for the touchdown as well as the touchdown to Chandler against the Raiders last year that should have been an easy pick. The question is: with a better defense, do we want him to be more conservative or just be himself with the probablility of more interceptions.

I say let him do the same thing that he is doing and let the coaches coach the game. We have enough talent now around him (healthy) that worrying about interceptions is a waste of energy. If our defense is that much better that unit should be able to cover for any errors to a certain level.

There is no defense in the history of the NFL that was so good you could lead the NFL in turnovers on offense and still be a good team. Walk into any locker room, coaches meeting, practice, etc...and you will here the same thing over and over again, PROTECT THE FOOTBALL.

This defense is in no way good enough to withstand a barrage of INT's by Fitz again. I love what we have done on D, but we still have a ton of inexperience in the secondary and question marks at LB. None the less, if that was the 85 Bears out there on D for us, we still can't just go out and be careless with the football.

Remember, its not the best D that wins, its who scores the most points. So, if we keep turning it over and struggle scoring while at the same time giving the opposing team several more chances to score while also making our D stay out on the field longer and wear down, then it will be a lot harder to win football games.

So what Fitz needs to be is a better QB for us to win games. Up to this point he has been woefully inaccurate, inconsistent, and mistake prone. Its not even just the INT's he has thrown, its the dozens more he puts right in the defenses hands that they drop, all the missed and bad 3rd down throws for another 3 and out, the coming up short when the game is on the line, the missed opportunities of open guys because he didnt see them and forced the ball somewhere else...he needs to play better football, and thats just the bottom line. If he does, we can make some noise this year...if he doesn't, then I don't care how good our D is, we will struggle to make the playoffs this year or even to get to 8-8.

Edited by Alphadawg7

When I read the "Subject" line, my first thought response was "Better. We want Fitz to be Better."

I think we should leave it at that.

I want Fitz to fart rainbows and grow a beard of cotton candy. :w00t:

Your Kink is O.K.

Edited by Hopeful

There is no defense in the history of the NFL that was so good you could lead the NFL in turnovers on offense and still be a good team. Walk into any locker room, coaches meeting, practice, etc...and you will here the same thing over and over again, PROTECT THE FOOTBALL.

You got that right. If Fitz changes nothing else, but cuts his INTs significantly, the Bills will be much better off.

Very thought-provoking.

However, I take issue with posters who believe that a good D is somehow a substitute for an offense that moves the chain's and scores TD's. -Not saying that's what you said.

I agree that a good D should be able to partially COMPENSATE for certain offensive limitations. However, they still need run- support from Fitz, Fred, Chandler, and whoever else is keyed in to our offense.

Considering Fitz's penchant for picks, bat-downs, and over/under throws, smart playcalling is also key.

You got that right. If Fitz changes nothing else, but cuts his INTs significantly, the Bills will be much better off.

The defense will cut Fitz's INTs by allowing him to play safer and not abandon the running game. With a little help from his receivers, some of the types of picks we saw last year (6 to be exact), will be eliminated too.

A few weeks ago it was debated ad nauseam as to whether Fitz's high INT total was a result of forcing throws when the Bills got behind, or if Fitz just plain sucks/takes too many risks. Based on the stats, it was pretty much a wash.

Fitz was pretty much consistent in throwing about the same amount of picks in each situation if you check split stats on NFL.com or ESPN.

Thankfully, Brad Riter broke it down even further, so we can see that less than half of Fitz's picks were solely his own fault: The Truth About Fitz and Picks

If you're skeptical, there is a video of each pick included in the breakdown. Enjoy!

I want Fitz to fart rainbows and grow a beard of cotton candy. :w00t:

PTR

LOL. Why Promo, I'm shocked. A rediculous post from U. Your posts, in my opinion, are usually one of the best & most insightful. Been enjoying them for years.

I did laugh my __ __ __ off when I read it though. Keep up the good work and.......... Go Bills!

Manage the game and make the safe throws. Interceptions are going to happen, but be extra careful in our own territory. Use the sideline more often on broken plays. Picks on 3rd and long and 4th downs in opponent territory if we're facing a long field goal are fine with me if nothing is available. Stay healthy.

I was thinking about an NFL Dinner where they invited all of the AFC East QB's and their significant others to the table. Can you imagine the dialogue after the dinner? We have TB and Giselle, Tannehill and his hot wife, and Sanchez and I guess this week it is Eva Longoria. How much would that suck for the Amish regular guy Rifle?

All kidding aside, he's not had the talent that Eli's had, nor the defense. I hold Fitzy's judgment after this year, not the first two weeks, but the whole season to see if he is really a servicable QB. Everyone wants a quick answer, and many of you have heard me say before we were decomated in talent due to bad FO decisions for decade. We still need one to two WR, a TE, and at least on LB. Once we get there, if we get there we will have a real chance. I'm very hopeful we can provide an effective running game as we showed nothing in the preseason and we will run a great deal in the real season.

We'll see.

I was thinking about an NFL Dinner where they invited all of the AFC East QB's and their significant others to the table. Can you imagine the dialogue after the dinner? We have TB and Giselle, Tannehill and his hot wife, and Sanchez and I guess this week it is Eva Longoria. How much would that suck for the Amish regular guy Rifle?

All kidding aside, he's not had the talent that Eli's had, nor the defense. I hold Fitzy's judgment after this year, not the first two weeks, but the whole season to see if he is really a servicable QB. Everyone wants a quick answer, and many of you have heard me say before we were decomated in talent due to bad FO decisions for decade. We still need one to two WR, a TE, and at least on LB. Once we get there, if we get there we will have a real chance. I'm very hopeful we can provide an effective running game as we showed nothing in the preseason and we will run a great deal in the real season.

We'll see.

I think Fitz is very happy with his All-American wife and mother of his three, soon to be 4, children.

I don't care about the picks he threw in blow out losses. I don't care about the chances he takes. I think he sees a chasing defender with his back turned to him as an an opportunity. I would just want him (and his teammates) to be better in the clutch. There's a fistful of failures in tight games against good teams, some of which were on him (Ravens, Chiefs, Steelers, Bengals, Giants, Jets, etc.) This is where he/they need to be better.

FitzpatrickLiza--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg?width=960&height=720

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

Absolutely. That's my point. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Fitz fits Buffalo, and all of them can do what they do in other cities. I love he is a family man, unapologetic, and is harvard bright with three kids.

I wasn't ripping on his wife, but moreso talking about the kind of guy we have who fits our city, our fans, and our team. My apologies if anyone thought I was ripping on his wife as I really was not at all.

I still say with better talent, better field position, and a better defense, and now game planning when it counts with a running game, he is going to surprise people, and be much better than people think. That is why i feel we need to give a whole season to see who Fitzy is as the guy. Can he be a rothles, Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. With the right team around him, I think he can.

I also think if Brady's line is as bad as it might be, he won't look so invincible this year, as he'll have two less seconds to throw.

I would like to see the history on this but Fitz has lead a team to victory after having trailed by 18 or more points 4 times in his career. It's the same confidence and risk taking mentality that leads ot blowout losses like they had in Dallas last year. It's the flipside of the same coin.