Tom Brady: The best QB Ever?

SoggyHog

You don’t have to be a football fan to be a Bills fan. I, however, am a football fan. The energy and excitement of the game thrills me. The strategy of every play, every position and every inch energizes me. The dedication of the players to live an unlivable dream intrigues me. The story of the players motivates me and makes me feel a parallel in my life. Every single one of these kids has a story and a dream. Respect to the players that fuel my love for the game of football. Tom Brady included.

http://www.nfl.com/q...HP11_hot_topics

All that being said...... I still hate the SOB! Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I hope we kick his A** this year! GO BILLS!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don’t have to be a football fan to be a Bills fan. I, however, am a football fan. The energy and excitement of the game thrills me. The strategy of every play, every position and every inch energizes me. The dedication of the players to live an unlivable dream intrigues me. The story of the players motivates me and makes me feel a parallel in my life. Every single one of these kids has a story and a dream. Respect to the players that fuel my love for the game of football. Tom Brady included.

All that being said...... I still hate the SOB! Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I hope we kick his A** this year! GO BILLS!

This is gonna be hotly contested around here just on sheer homerism as its a rule to hate on anything rival of the Bills.

That being said, I love football as much as I love the Bills and I am not afraid to admit that Brady is definitely in the conversation and is definitely top 5 IMO already. What he has done is one thing, the personnel he had to do it is even more impressive. All 3 superbowls were won with scrubs to throw to. Its not like he had Rice and Taylor like Montana did, or Harrison and Wayne like Peyton did...this guy did it with people no one can even remember anymore outside of Branch.

I think its too early to say he is already the best ever, but he deserves to be in the discussion. I still think Montana was the best QB I have ever seen, including Peyton who for all his gaudy stats, Peyton still has a shaky post season record. Its been said a hundred times, but Brady is todays Montana and Peyton is todays Marino.

To be honest, I think Rodgers has the potential to end his career (assuming it keeps going like it has) as a guy who's name ends up in the argument for best ever.

But back to Brady...I would rank him #5 all time right now IMO.

I'd give it to Peyton too. I lived in Indy in '06 thru '10, and he is an amazing QB. He went down last year, the whole team went down. Brady goes down and they still go to the playoffs. Interesting article none the less.

Brady is too dependent on a surrounding cast to be considered the greatest of all time. I'd put Peyton, Montana, and Elway ahead of him in terms of greatness...and in terms of pure QB ability, I'd also put Mario in front of him. Brady fails to maintain a level of greatness in the face of a solid pass rush, as was evidenced in the last two Pats SB appearances against less talented Giants teams. If you pressure Brady, he's anything but great.

He's definitely in the conversation, but the SBs are why people put him up there & he was considered little more than a game manager back then. Since he started putting up Manning-like #s he's also had a Manning-like playoff record. He didn't get enough credit in the SB years & he's gotten too much credit since.

Brady is too dependent on a surrounding cast to be considered the greatest of all time. I'd put Peyton, Montana, and Elway ahead of him in terms of greatness...and in terms of pure QB ability, I'd also put Mario in front of him. Brady fails to maintain a level of greatness in the face of a solid pass rush, as was evidenced in the last two Pats SB appearances against less talented Giants teams. If you pressure Brady, he's anything but great.

I have nothing to add to this.

Edited by billsoverdue

Really? How can anyone seriously say that? Say what you want about these two, but its not even close in terms of who had more talent to play with, and that is Manning. He has had by far more talent and Brady had less talent around him in his 3 SB's than Manning had his whole career. Manning had Harrison, Edge, Wayne, Clark, etc...Brady had Branch and a bunch of scrubs and a retread Dillon when he won those 3 SB's. And if it were not for his Defense giving up 2 once in a life time plays (the catch on the helmet and than manningham last year) he would have 5 Sb's to his one. Peyton has not shown up way too often in the post season where Brady has shined way more consistently with far less talent.

Brady didnt start getting talent until the later years on offense. Its been a terrible collection of no names, has beens, and people who cant even make other rosters during their SB years that he has to work with. There isnt a single player he had on offense that would have started for Indy during that time. No WR could beat out Harrisson or Wayne...Dillon was not going to beat out Edge...what ever scrub TE he had was not going to beat out Clark.

I get the debate, and Peyton is among the best, but to say Brady was dependent on talent being around him is ridiculous in comparison to Manning. The fact that Manning did not win more than 1 SB with all that talent...HOF talent...around him, just adds to his post season failures.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Really? How can anyone seriously say that? Say what you want about these two, but its not even close in terms of who had more talent to play with, and that is Manning. He has had by far more talent and Brady had less talent around him in his 3 SB's than Manning had his whole career. Manning had Harrison, Edge, Wayne, Clark, etc...Brady had Branch and a bunch of scrubs and a retread Dillon when he won those 3 SB's. And if it were not for his Defense giving up 2 once in a life time plays (the catch on the helmet and than manningham last year) he would have 5 Sb's to his one. Peyton has not shown up way too often in the post season where Brady has shined way more consistently with far less talent.

Brady didnt start getting talent until the later years on offense. Its been a terrible collection of no names, has beens, and people who cant even make other rosters during their SB years that he has to work with. There isnt a single player he had on offense that would have started for Indy during that time. No WR could beat out Harrisson or Wayne...Dillon was not going to beat out Edge...what ever scrub TE he had was not going to beat out Clark.

I get the debate, and Peyton is among the best, but to say Brady was dependent on talent being around him is ridiculous in comparison to Manning. The fact that Manning did not win more than 1 SB with all that talent...HOF talent...around him, just adds to his post season failures.

Oh boy.

Any argument where you have to use "if only...." is a losing argument. And by "surrounding cast" I'm talking about more than the skill positions. Brady's losses to the Giants are HUGE dings to his record, especially the first loss against a 10-6 team.

Brady is the best of our time and definately in the discussion for all-time. Peyton has been knocked out in the first round 6 or 7 times in his career. To compare that to Bradys superbowl losses is a little ridiculous.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. We're not talking about overall team performance, we're talking about individual QBs and their impact. Peyton elevated a pretty mediocre team to one that was a perennial playoff participant and eventual SB champion. Brady took a 16-0 team to the SB against a 6-loss team and failed to even maintain the same level of production as his position, let alone elevate it. It wasn't the Pats defense that lost those last two SBs. Take Peyton off the list...Montana alone is at a level above Brady, IMO.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. We're not talking about overall team performance, we're talking about individual QBs and their impact. Peyton elevated a pretty mediocre team to one that was a perennial playoff participant and eventual SB champion. Brady took a 16-0 team to the SB against a 6-loss team and failed to even maintain the same level of production as his position, let alone elevate it. It wasn't the Pats defense that lost those last two SBs. Take Peyton off the list...Montana alone is at a level above Brady, IMO.

I cant agree with the notion that Peyton's teams were mediocre. I actually think Peyton has had more talent on the field over his career. The losses to the Giants are nothing to hold against Brady. Those Giants teams had a ton of talent themselves and were playing their best football. Brady didnt play poorly considering the pressure he was under. Those games were close. I find it hard to believe Peyton or any other all-time QB does a whole lot more under that pressure.

I love Peyton but his own personal playoff performances arent all-time great.

I cant agree with the notion that Peyton's teams were mediocre. I actually think Peyton has had more talent on the field over his career. The losses to the Giants are nothing to hold against Brady. Those Giants teams had a ton of talent themselves and were playing their best football. Brady didnt play poorly considering the pressure he was under. Those games were close. I find it hard to believe Peyton or any other all-time QB does a whole lot more under that pressure.

I love Peyton but his own personal playoff performances arent all-time great.

A 16-0 team losing to a 10-6 team isn't a big deal? They were close games...point is, they shouldn't have been. Reference Brady's pre-SB interview when he scoffed at the notion that he would lead his team to only 17 points...he well expected to put up points and he failed to do that. If he had still won, it wouldn't really matter....but they lost...for the first time that season....and that is a huge blemish, IMO.

I hate the bastard, but Brady's in the top 5. Still, I'd go with a healthy Peyton over a healthy Brady.

If top 5 means "fifth", I could certainly put him in that sport...that sounds like a pretty good spot for him.

I can't believe this is even a discussion.

Peyton, Joe M, Johnny U are 3 that are clearly better than Brady. All you have to do is compare the 2010 Colts to the 2011 Colts for Peyton. Joe M never lost a super bowl and earned the name Joe Cool for a reason.

Danny boy and Elway deserve some conversation as well. Brady can't even enter this equation until after them.

Besides, it is easy to be Brady* when your coach steals the D's signals and knows what is coming :w00t:

Can this guy ever be considered the best qb ever?

http://sportsofbosto...on-with-gisele/

lmao....

I can't believe this is even a discussion.

Peyton, Joe M, Johnny U are 3 that are clearly better than Brady. All you have to do is compare the 2010 Colts to the 2011 Colts for Peyton. Joe M never lost a super bowl and earned the name Joe Cool for a reason.

Danny boy and Elway deserve some conversation as well. Brady can't even enter this equation until after them.

Besides, it is easy to be Brady* when your coach steals the D's signals and knows what is coming :w00t:

LOL, I was hoping someone else would throw in that last part so I didn't have to take the heat for it :lol:

LOL, I was hoping someone else would throw in that last part so I didn't have to take the heat for it :lol:

I'm surprised it took this long. I was waiting as well, figured I toss it out. B-)

On a serious note, no doubt the guy is a great qb, but the best ever? No way.

I would definitely have to give the nod to Tom Brady. Montana stunk up 3 qtrs of the game and then did magic in the 4th qtr to bail them out....On the other hand Brady and his offense has dominated the league for the decade with some outstanding quarter backing. Brady put fear into the opponents...

Few years ago I would have said yes he is. Great arm can make all throws, super quick decision maker, has all the subtleties down like looking off the DBs, been successful in different schemes and with different personnel, 3 rings etc etc. Only knock was not a great scrambler, but so what when you can do all that other stuff. But 2 SB losses later when the O didn't put up a lot points, and I see him losing his edge a bit, I'd put him in with a group of legends like staubach montana and elway. But during his era at least he's clearly #1 to me, well ahead of Manning

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

bunch of young guys saying peyton peyton peyton. i put brady at around #8.--which is no insult. peyton around 7.

montana 1. elway 2(he carried --and i mean really carried some mediocre denver teams to deep in the playoffs).Marino 3.

Steve Young 4. Fran Tarkenton 5. favre 6(only equalled by elway,marino in sheer talent dept--woulda been no 1 exc for occas brain farts)

Danny Fouts and Kenny anderson round out the top 10. apologies to the pre 1960s guys like sammy baugh, johnny U ,Otto Graham didnt really see ya cant judge you

bunch of young guys saying peyton peyton peyton. i put brady at around #8.--which is no insult. peyton around 7.

montana 1. elway 2(he carried --and i mean really carried some mediocre denver teams to deep in the playoffs).Marino 3.

Steve Young 4. Fran Tarkenton 5. favre 6(only equalled by elway,marino in sheer talent dept--woulda been no 1 exc for occas brain farts)

Danny Fouts and Kenny anderson round out the top 10. apologies to the pre 1960s guys like sammy baugh, johnny U ,Otto Graham didnt really see ya cant judge you

This is more along the lines of how I feel...not just cause I grew up watching them play, but because it just hit me that the competition they played against was like much better back then since we had fewer teams and less parity. Definitely agree about Elway...both he and Mario were one man armies at times...each of them often had no defense and no RB worth a damn...they had some nice wideouts at times, but as far as a complete team? Nah....

And I rank Peyton up there because I see him doing the very same thing that Elway and Marino had to do during the 80s...take mediocre teams and turn them into playoff/SB teams pretty much by themselves.

Edited by ajzepp

Tom over Peyton x10 IMO. Toms 7-4 against the media darling known as Peyton Some of these posts blow my mind. Peyton had plenty of talent over the years. The colts got old and they declined lately. Peyton was toms whipping boy until much like Lebron James one time Peyton/Lebron finally won the big one

I'm all about my bills. But Brady's a golden god if they score another td or two and beat the giants.. No tyree helmet catch things change quick.