Bills RB C.J. Spiller says team is close to being Super Bowl contender

WotAGuy

I am happy for the optimism but it is a pretty brazen claim given the guy has never made the playoffs much less the SB. On a more positive note it is good to know that the players feel good about the direction the team is going. This could finally be the year where the Bills turn it around. On paper they have everything necessary to do so. The only potential chink in the chain is whether Fitzbeardy plays well or not.

This is an automated response:

The Bills have proven nothing. Looking good on paper is one thing; we need to see it on the field.

I am happy for the optimism but it is a pretty brazen claim given the guy has never made the playoffs much less the SB. On a more positive note it is good to know that the players feel good about the direction the team is going. This could finally be the year where the Bills turn it around. On paper they have everything necessary to do so. The only potential chink in the chain is whether Fitzbeardy plays well or not.

i think fitzbeardy's biggest asset will be getting everyone around him comfortable and thinking that the sky is the limit.

Edited by swnybillsfan

All kidding aside, I heard most of the CJ interview on SiriusXM. He wasn't bragging; that specific quote came in response to a question from Schein and Gannon about whether the Bills were capable of winning the AFC East.

Spiller came across VERY well in the interview. He didn't take the bait when they asked him about how he's going to be used or how many touches he needs to have. Total "team first" attitude. And like everyone else who has been asked, he didn't hesitate to say the Bills can win a Super Bowl with Fitz at QB.

CJ did Buffalo proud.

All kidding aside, I heard most of the CJ interview on SiriusXM. He wasn't bragging; that specific quote came in response to a question from Schein and Gannon about whether the Bills were capable of winning the AFC East.

Spiller came across VERY well in the interview. He didn't take the bait when they asked him about how he's going to be used or how many touches he needs to have. Total "team first" attitude. And like everyone else who has been asked, he didn't hesitate to say the Bills can win a Super Bowl with Fitz at QB.

CJ did Buffalo proud.

Like most quotes that the media uses, they're taken out of context. I thought the interview was fantastic as well and not homer at all. If you don't believe you can win before the season even starts, they you probably won't. If you concede the wild card is the best you can do, then that will probably be the best you will do. That's psychology 101 kids.

He obviously hasn't read any of the 13 threads on Fitzgibbons' accuracy.

Or as many threads on how it was a waste for clueless front office to use a first round pick on RB by posters being begged to work in front offices.

i like his optimism, and hope that it translates into production and swagger on the field. talented men who believe in themselves and their teammates can do wonderful things if they only billieve!

I think this is the butchest roster of players that the Bills have ever collected. You combine that with swagger, and LOOK OUT!

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Just wonderin', where are all the 'Nanacy's' when a Bill says the same things many of us realize?

Just wonderin'...

Edit: we'll know where they are in 20 weeks..

They are probably waiting for something to comment on.

A player during the off season saying his team is a contender is hardly noteworthy.

You are taking it as some kind of vindication from the sound of your comment :)

Talk is cheap ... but unfortunately that's all there is for another couple of months.

Sounds like he handled himself well though, particularly by not taking the bait on number of touches etc.

Like most quotes that the media uses, they're taken out of context. I thought the interview was fantastic as well and not homer at all. If you don't believe you can win before the season even starts, they you probably won't. If you concede the wild card is the best you can do, then that will probably be the best you will do. That's psychology 101 kids.

I think the reluctance to accept it from some probably goes hand in hand with what you wrote. He's supposed to say it. Due to that, it only holds so much weight. Further, as mentioned, he really doesn't have much experience to judge from. Karlos dansby, and Rex Ryan both say similar regularly- I wouldn't expect someone to point to it as proof Miami or the jets are on track.

Now that I'm done }^*+%#~#€ in everyone's Cheerios, yes, yes I do believe we are headed in the right direction and getting closer than we have been in well over a decade.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Its to bad 75% of the bills fans are always negative about everything. I BILLEVE 2 WE CAN DO IT! SUPERBOWL. I am so excited this year that im driving to my first buffalo game vs miami NOV 15th from IOWA

its foolish

saying it in the lockerroom, different story. as long as it doesnt get out of hand and is tempered by a mature reality how incredibly difficult its going to be then its fine

saying it to the media sets the entire team up for the kind of attention and expectations you dont want. now you just look like a loudmouthed nyjet douche to all the other teams. and you set yourself up for even more pressure from the fans and media who surely are going to put that at the top of their list to call you on when the inevitable problems crop up. you unnecessarily complicate things for your team and damage the fragile psyche of any lockeroom by putting the focus on what great heroes you will be instead of how much work and dedication and desperation it takes to really make it happen

again, its not coincidence that you dont hear veterans talk that way

"but mh the goal of every team should be to win the sb, isnt it? so whats wrong with saying it?"

its all about how you do it. if you say 'our goal is to win the sb and our focus is on preparing like professionals and winning one game at a time' thats fine. you have shown respect for the game and your opponents and kept your feet on the ground. if you just spout off and say 'why not us, we can be just as good as anybody, we can be a superbowl contender' now youre losing your footing because your posture is now one of self aggrandizing that whittles away at your focus and desperation

i dont expect young men to understand this. thats why teams usually have to get their ass handed to them in the playoffs before they start talking like the wiley veterans. bravado is a liability that turns into a valuable steely determination usually only after youve embarrassed yourself

its foolish

saying it in the lockerroom, different story. as long as it doesnt get out of hand and is tempered by a mature reality how incredibly difficult its going to be then its fine

saying it to the media sets the entire team up for the kind of attention and expectations you dont want. now you just look like a loudmouthed nyjet douche to all the other teams. and you set yourself up for even more pressure from the fans and media who surely are going to put that at the top of their list to call you on when the inevitable problems crop up. you unnecessarily complicate things for your team and damage the fragile psyche of any lockeroom by putting the focus on what great heroes you will be instead of how much work and dedication and desperation it takes to really make it happen

again, its not coincidence that you dont hear veterans talk that way

"but mh the goal of every team should be to win the sb, isnt it? so whats wrong with saying it?"

its all about how you do it. if you say 'our goal is to win the sb and our focus is on preparing like professionals and winning one game at a time' thats fine. you have shown respect for the game and your opponents and kept your feet on the ground. if you just spout off and say 'why not us, we can be just as good as anybody, we can be a superbowl contender' now youre losing your footing because your posture is now one of self aggrandizing that whittles away at your focus and desperation

i dont expect young men to understand this. thats why teams usually have to get their ass handed to them in the playoffs before they start talking like the wiley veterans. bravado is a liability that turns into a valuable steely determination usually only after youve embarrassed yourself

Perhaps. But getting their ass handed to them in the playoffs would be a nice turn of events for this team.

These quotes are always a chance for the more excitable fans to show excitement, and the solid, no-nonsense guys get a chance to admonish them, and talk about solid, conservative behavior....blah, blah, blah. I think CJ was fine, and I bet there have been plenty of guys that have said stuff like this, and then gone on to win the Super Bowl that season. Deon Sanders said it EVERY year.

It is a non-event, that will have no bearing on this season, and I doubt Gailey will say anything.

There are 45 guys on a team. Every Super Bowl winning team has had some self-aggrandizing, unprofessional, and/or disrespectful guys on the roster (not that I think Spiller was).

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Its to bad 75% of the bills fans are always negative about everything. I BILLEVE 2 WE CAN DO IT! SUPERBOWL. I am so excited this year that im driving to my first buffalo game vs miami NOV 15th from IOWA

Hmmm… that's a long drive but on the other hand, it sounds like you'll be spending Christmas in Miami. That sounds better than Christmas in Iowa.

As far as my buddy Meathead, I think you're overreacting a bit. Much ado about nothing, IMO.

On the grand scale, this is very mild stuff.

Hmmm… that's a long drive but on the other hand, it sounds like you'll be spending Christmas in Miami. That sounds better than Christmas in Iowa.

As far as my buddy Meathead, I think you're overreacting a bit. Much ado about nothing, IMO.

On the grand scale, this is very mild stuff.

No thanks dont want to go to a empty miami stadium in december im gonna fullfill a 20 year dream ORCHARD PARK. Boss is buying me two two tickets. Plus im riding with two dophin fans i see at the bar on sundays gameday. NOV 15th game is the only night game we have

Edited by brianhawkeye2012

oye

its not a coincidence that you never hear veterans talk that way

young men dont know the difference between confidence and bravado

chans gonna have cj into his office for a little chat

Um, no he won't. Apparently you didn't bother to read the thread, where it was pointed out by those who actually heard the interview that CJ was not bragging, he responded to a question about whether the Bills could win the AFC East. What exactly was he supposed to say? He stated facts, and suggested that since they played the two Super Bowl teams pretty well last season, it stands to reason they don't feel they are far away.

Amazing what people will get worked up over.

Prepare yourself.

For The Time Of Your Life!!!!!! :thumbsup:

This reminds me of the late 80s when good things were starting to happen and many fans had that feeling we were heading in the right direction.

I like this coaching staff. I like the FO. We're assembling a lot of talented players who leave it all on the field. I don't think we're quite ready for Super Bowl run yet but the playoffs seem realistic for the first time in geologic eras.

Well if you don't have faith...

I love it !! Good for CJ, I think he was just saying what's on alot of players minds in the locker room.

I think if they stay focused they have a shot at a playoff berth and If they get to dance anything can happen. If they get a home playoff game...wait I'm getting ahead of myself.

Ofcourse we have to wait and see what happens, but I haven't been this pumped up about a season in a long while.

Prepare yourself.

For The Time Of Your Life!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Seriously hawkeye he's right. It's an epic experience from the tailgating to seeing that beautiful stadium and field. I remember I couldn't stop staring at the stadium while I was tailgating and then when you finally get inside and see that field you've been watching on tv for so many years...nothing beats it.

No thanks dont want to go to a empty miami stadium in december im gonna fullfill a 20 year dream ORCHARD PARK. Boss is buying me two two tickets. Plus im riding with two dophin fans i see at the bar on sundays gameday. NOV 15th game is the only night game we have

Apparently I've reached a point where you have to repeat everything twice in order for it to register in my brain. That's awesome and I have zero doubts that there will be serious squishage of the fishage!

We have as good of chance as anybody right now to win it all.

Man, you guys are like dogs that have been beaten. The gate is open, you're free....

Open your eyes!

Awesome!!!

It's so true. I had to laugh at that thread that stated (paraphrasing) that all the positive attention this offseason was making the poster get really nervous.

For my own part, I'm enjoying the offseason immensely and expecting great things from this team in 2012 and beyond.

As I've stated before, it's like watching some of the up-and-coming Bills and Sabres teams of the past… you can see it happening before your very eyes and it's very exciting.

CJ did Buffalo proud.

there are lies, big fat lies, statistics,and headlines.Thanks for pointing that out. Misleading headline writing is a fine art these days.

A dose of reality-

When Vince Young uttered the words "dream team", that is all it took to start an avalanche of coverage on the Eagles and with every loss it became more magnified.

Anything C.J. Spiller says won't be seen in that light because Buffalo is a small market team, but if he had said that in a major city, he would have caused a stir.

Rhetoric is for teams that have never won anything, and frankly we don't need it right now- we need PRODUCTION.

I listened to the interview as well. Schein and Gannon pretty much forcibly pried a headline worthy quote out of him. They didn't like his party-line response that he was giving them.

I know, right? Schein was bound and determined to get something controversial out of CJ, and Spiller just didn't bite. When CJ said to take the next step, the Bills have to be "more consistent," Schein wouldn't let up. "What does that mean, CJ?" "More consistent how?" "How many touches do you need to be happy?" I was very proud of the way Spiller answered those questions. CJ even stayed away from anointing Vince Young the backup, despite their prodding. He talked about how the competition between VY and Thigpen will be "fun to watch."

I've always liked CJ, but that interview really took it up a notch. He's a solid, solid guy.

I agree that this is much ado about nothing.

They got their sound byte, and the Bills got some free advertising that might whip up even more excitement about the upcoming season which leads to ticket and merchandise sales. There was no stupid "dream team" proclamation. Everyone wins.

Why play the game then if you don't think you can win? I don't think he said anything a confident player shouldn't have said. Good for him, and good for the team.

When Jauron said "It's hard to win in the NFL" everyone around here including me ground him into a powder for that weak minded approach, and now that a player shows the slighted hint of confidence in his team's chances this year, and people around here still aren't happy...

Holy Frickin hell how miserable can you be about this team? They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. I think it's time for people to dial the criticism back just a tad... MmmKay?

I know it's the internet and all, where everyone can sling criticism without repercussion, but maybe we ease off of the throttle around here just a bit and be excited for the team, this year's offseason has been a God Send, let's enjoy it just a little.