RD 1, Pick #10: DB Stephon Gilmore - South Carolina

SDS

Some people kill me....WE PLAY BRADY TWICE A YEAR! Also, everyone is now saying the NFL is a pass first league. McGee has missed how many games in the last 2 years? McKelvin is just horrible and is in the last year of his contract this year and wont be a Bill next year and Florance is on the wrong side of 30.

We NEEDED to nake this pick and time will prove how good a pick this was. Sure, it may not be flashy but it is rock solid

Any Relation to Artis Gilmore?

Go Lambchops!

Go Gamecocks!

post-11534-030361100 1335491064_thumb.jpg

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gilmore is an excellent tackler yes but can he shut down an NFL WR? I don't think so.. watch some game tape of him on youtube, he gets beat deep quite often, doesnt get interceptions and has bad ball skills, he has the size an speed but thats about it, imo it was a reach at 10. I know im on the floyd bandwagon but he could of helped out or offense alot more than gilmore will with our D. Floyd is the perfect fit for fitz who throws wild balls all the time, also it would of free'd up stevie. Im not confident randle or hill or jeffery will be there when we pick in the 2nd. So wheres our true no2 WR? i know no one is counting on easley not only to be healthy but actually come in for the first time and be a game changer.. i just dont see it. Blown pick IMO

C'mon, credit where its due, no? Am I not doing better than I was with Whitner and McKelvin. Again, I am more sad than angry. But the fact is, this is yet another top resource down the toilet.

Yes, you are.

And it's still the highlight of the season for me. Which, when you reflect on that, is a sad indictment of both the Bills and myself.

He was quoting Gruden. You know, the guy who knows players and how to win so well that he has sat in the booth for the last couple of years with his Super Bowl ring Dungy gave him?

http://www.kffl.com/a.php/130105/nfl-draft/2012-NFL-Scouting-Report--Stephon-Gilmore--CB--South-Carolina

Weaknesses

Lacks experience at the position after playing wide receiver through his high school career

Overly aggressive on occasion

Needs to improve technique (hence looking stiff on the field at times) and recognition skills

Anticipatory skills barely adequate

Small hands (9 1/4 inches) may help explain his lack of ball skills

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/a.php/130105/nfl-draft/2012-NFL-Scouting-Report--Stephon-Gilmore--CB--South-Carolina#ixzz1tCWc1Un9

Sounds a lot like McKelvin to me

I don't doubt Nix's talent evaluation skills. But I am still not sold on his team-building prowess. Take linemen and pass rushers high, they make the skill position players less important and less expensive. If Nix thought we were losing games last year because our corners were hurt, and not because we were getting blown off the line on defense, I'm sorry but he's nuts.

Did we not sign two FA rushers?

PTR

How sad. How truly sad and stupid. When they threw early picks in the garbage for Whitner and McKelvin, I was furious. This time, I am really feeling sorry for Fitz, and even sorrier for us as loyal, true fans.

Buddy will probably be fast asleep by the time I have finished typing this post, but make no mistake, he just hurt this franchise. And again, fans such as us deserve better than this absolute, true, incomprehensible idiocy.

Another dismal day for Bills fans.

Look on the bright side. You'll have a new target for your crusades.

Florence, McGee and McLovin won't be Bills after this year and if they are they'll be coming off the bench. Getting a starting CB this year to team up with Williams means we'll only have to find nickel and dime backs next offseason to fill in the sub packages. I like it

This. Well said.

I'd love to see them trade up to grab Glenn or Martin at the end of the first round here ... they can grab a WR in round 3.

How sad. How truly sad and stupid. When they threw early picks in the garbage for Whitner and McKelvin, I was furious. This time, I am really feeling sorry for Fitz, and even sorrier for us as loyal, true fans.

Buddy will probably be fast asleep by the time I have finished typing this post, but make no mistake, he just hurt this franchise. And again, fans such as us deserve better than this absolute, true, incomprehensible idiocy.

Another dismal day for Bills fans.

I said this earlier today. Our corners sucked last year. I watched them closely and think this year is different. this year helps us a lot. Leodis cant cover. T will play a game and be hurt for 7. And Florence did a lot of talking last year in the off season and even more when we traded Lee Evans. I was expecting him to back his mouth up and improve on a good year the prior season. He didn't. He got burned almost as much as Leodis who in case I've not mentioned, Sucked!

C'mon, credit where its due, no? Am I not doing better than I was with Whitner and McKelvin. Again, I am more sad than angry. But the fact is, this is yet another top resource down the toilet.

Tell us who you would have drafted and we'll look back in a few years and see which pick worked out better.

You are a pretty knowledgable fan but you seem to have missed that the league has changed and being able to stop the pass is a prerequisite to winning. Every GM out there that I've heard talk speaks of a few positions that are "big-impact" positions and CB is always one of them.

In general I agree with you that you build from the lines out. But there was nobody there worth the pick. With as highly valued as LT's are its very telling that Reiff is still on the board almost an hour later. He wasn't worth the pick.

I'm not a fan of DBs, but that is due mainly to the failure of the Bills to pick them successfully. In terms of value, good CBs are right up there with left tackles in terms of how hard they are to find. It will be said at nauseum, but its a passing league. I don't know enough about Gilmore to have an informed opinion about him, but I do know that McKelvin does not = Gilmore and Whitner did not = Barron.

We'll see what happens. It seems clear to me that the Bills plan on getting to the QB and expect opposing offenses to make quick, short passes..which is why they took a physical corner who is good at pressing.

We'll see. But he was probably the BPA unless the Bills wanted a DT.

I don't doubt Nix's talent evaluation skills. But I am still not sold on his team-building prowess. Take linemen and pass rushers high, they make the skill position players less important and less expensive. If Nix thought we were losing games last year because our corners were hurt, and not because we were getting blown off the line on defense, I'm sorry but he's nuts.

But... who did you want to see them take and where do you fit them in to address "getting blown off the line on defense"? The Bills added two players to the DL this offseason. Once Kuechly was gone, who's the guy you wanted to see to shore up the front 7?

I don't think Nix thought we were losing games solely because of bad corner play, but I gotta say, watching those games last year, there was some downright horrific corner play.

Revis has the best instincts of any CB in the league. This guy is nowhere near his level. Workouts don't always translate to production, see Vernon Gholston. Watch the tape draft droid. You'll see what I'm talking about. The Underwear Olympics is not in pads adjusting to WR's on the fly.

I screened all the video for the top 17 CB's this year.

Next.

Just say it Bill. Who did you want? Reiff?

When is it okay to draft a DB?

The entire NFL is populated by senile GMs who know nothing. How in the world can we go through 17 picks of the first round and have 4 DBs selected and only one OT? These guys don't know how to build a team.

We'll see what happens. It seems clear to me that the Bills plan on getting to the QB and expect opposing offenses to make quick, short passes..which is why they took a physical corner who is good at pressing.

What's really going to piss off the folks is when they take another CB on Saturday.