Vikings willing to trade 3rd pick

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8282553a/article/spielman-vikings-might-trade-no-3-pick-even-at-the-last-minute?module=HP11_headline_stack

I hope we dont trade with them. I love Kalil but I like having draft picks more. Plus I think we can get a quality player like Potter later.

Here's a dream: Swap #3 for #10 plus Chris Kelsay and Leodis McKelvin.

Did you see what the Redskins gave up to move to #2? We need a helluva a lot more players than an LT...I would rather keep our next 2 first rounders! If we were one player away, that is one thing, but we aren't...

The price was exorbitant because it was for a for-real franchise QB. It won't be cheap to move to #3 but I doubt it will be anywhere nearly as steep as the price the Embarrassing Ethnic Stereotypes paid.

Also, the majority of mockers have the Bills selecting Rieff or Floyd at 10...By the time draft day rolls around Rieff will slide into the mid to late round of the first round--as will Floyd!

Some teams have Floyd as the third best WR and Rieff is a projected RT/OG

The price was exorbitant because it was for a for-real franchise QB. It won't be cheap to move to #3 but I doubt it will be anywhere nearly as steep as the price the Embarrassing Ethnic Stereotypes paid.

They moved up 4 spots and gave up 3 first rounders and a second rounder. For us to trade to #3 and have the Vikings willing to fall back 7 spots, will still cost at least a couple firsts and a second rounder. Whether it is a franchise QB, WR, LT, DE - the price will still be huge. Way to huge for us right now.

Besides, how many times has Buddy said that he doesn't like to trade up to the top of the draft as it costs way too much? :thumbsup:

Also, the majority of mockers have the Bills selecting Rieff or Floyd at 10...By the time draft day rolls around Rieff will slide into the mid to late round of the first round--as will Floyd!

We are not taking Reiff...

What teams have him rated as the third best WR? From what I have read, draft experts have him rated as a close 2 behind Blackmon...

Interesting. Problem is, Kalil will inevitably require next year's first round pick. I know he's good, but I don't know if he is worth two first rounders. I can't imagine Buddy trading away future 1st rounders for anything but a QB.

Schefter has us taking Reiff. Maybe. I just have a tough time seeing it. I've been a big proponent of Floyd, but Buddy/Gailey seem to pick WRs/OTs later in the draft, so in terms of history, its a toss up. At least Floyd would justify a #10 pick. Reiff will go in the 1st round, but if he skips pass the Bills he is going to fall a ways.

They moved up 4 spots and gave up 3 first rounders and a second rounder. For us to trade to #3 and have the Vikings willing to fall back 7 spots, will still cost at least a couple firsts and a second rounder. Whether it is a franchise QB, WR, LT, DE - the price will still be huge. Way to huge for us right now...as the knocks of why teams won't take him too early.

Besides, how many times has Buddy said that he doesn't like to trade up to the top of the draft as it costs way too much? :thumbsup:

What teams have him rated as the third best WR? From what I have read, draft experts have him rated as a close 2 behind Blackmon...

I'm on my phone at the moment and can't provide the links until later tonight, but speculation has Floyd's character concerns--multiple accounts of alcohol abuse at ND--along with slight above average speed, not the best route runner and takes plays off while in play. (If you think about it sounds like similar knocks that Randy Moss and Dez Bryant had)

They've talked about his position dropping on Sirius NFL to probably from 15-25, due to the rise of Baylor WR, Kendall Wright in the past several weeks!

Some mockers have Wright going to the Bills

Edited by KollegeStudnet

I'm on my phone at the moment and can't provide the links until later tonight, but speculation has Floyd's character concerns--multiple accounts of alcohol abuse at ND--along with slight above average speed, not the best route runner and takes plays off while in play. (If you think about it sounds like similar knocks that Randy Moss and Dez Bryant had)

They've talked about his position dropping on Sirius NFL to probably from 15-25, due to the rise of Baylor WR, Kendall Wright in the past several weeks!

Some mockers have Wright going to the Bills

Man I hope we don't take that little guy...I'd rather reach for Hill

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8282553a/article/spielman-vikings-might-trade-no-3-pick-even-at-the-last-minute?module=HP11_headline_stack

I hope we dont trade with them. I love Kalil but I like having draft picks more. Plus I think we can get a quality player like Potter later.

Ok so having a guaranteed franchise LT for 12 years is not worth trading draft picks for? Again, glad you guys aren't making picks

I don't meant to call you out specifically because you are far from the only person, but how does anyone really know where teams have players on their boards?

Unfortunately it's starting to look like they are going to take Reiff. Buddy hasn't been very secretive since he became GM and the more I read about Reiff being the guy including Schefter saying it I'd be surprised if it isn't Reiff at this point.

This tells me they don't think Hairston is ready to start or that they would like an upgrade at RT

10 is high for a guard but I'd rather they take DeCastro and plug him in at RG from day one

Edited by Max997

I like Kalil a lot, but if it means we have to give up our second round pick then no. If we go OT in the first, we really have to go WR in the second by taking a guy like Sanu or Reuben. You need to at least have the option of taking a WR in the second. Trading up would most likely disallow that.

I can't for the life of me see why in the world the Vikings would trade the 3rd pick for anything when it is a LT that is their biggest need? Kalil is a day one starter and perhaps a top ten LT in the NFL in his first year? It doesn't get much better than that? This story is just weird unless the Vikings are looking to rake in a ton of picks like the RAMS and fill more holes and hope for a decent enough LT in the later rounds? Not a bad strategy, but still suspect, IMO.

Tim-

I can't for the life of me see why in the world the Vikings would trade the 3rd pick for anything when it is a LT that is their biggest need? Kalil is a day one starter and perhaps a top ten LT in the NFL in his first year? It doesn't get much better than that? This story is just weird unless the Vikings are looking to rake in a ton of picks like the RAMS and fill more holes and hope for a decent enough LT in the later rounds? Not a bad strategy, but still suspect, IMO.

Tim-

Maybe they feel that in a trade down scenario that they can pick up a boat load of picks and still take Cordy Glenn…

i would give our 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th round picks in this years draft or this years #1 and next years #1 to move up to #3 in this years draft and take Kalil. i think Kalil is the surest/safest player in this draft.

That is not enough to move up from #10 to #3.

That is not enough to move up from #10 to #3.

#3 overall 2,200 pts

#10 overall 1,300 pts

difference 900 pts

our 2nd (#42) 480 pts

our 3rd (#74) 220 pts

our 4th (#102) 86 pts

total 786 pts....close enough...... throw in another 4th if you insist.

next years #1 - i'm gonna say 16th overall (1,000 pts).

btw- your giving up a draft pick...NOT the salary cap space.....in lieu of the draft choice you can use that money on a free agent......

Edited by papazoid

#3 overall 2,200 pts

#10 overall 1,300 pts

difference 900 pts

our 2nd (#42) 480 pts

our 3rd (#74) 220 pts

our 4th (#102) 86 pts

total 786 pts....close enough...... throw in another 4th if you insist.

next years #1 - i'm gonna say 16th overall (1,000 pts).

Picks a year away are devalued by a round. It took 3 1's and a 2 to move from 6 to 2 in a draft with 6 blue chip prospects so a team going from 3 to 10 would be moving out of the blue chip window and could want more. Of course the trade from 6 to 2 was for a franchise QB and the picks given up reflect that but I don't think there would be much of a discount to go from 10 to 3.

So...quantity over quality? Hmm.

Id give up 2 first and a third to get BLACKMON dont worry about extra picks free agent players are wanting to come to buffalo now actually might not have to look at this

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-04-02/nfl-mock-draft-2012-andrew-luck-robert-griffin-giants-jets-patriots-packers

Edited by brianhawkeye2012

Lol

Agreed.

As much as Buddy loves picks, I would not be shocked if he makes an exception in this case and pulls the trigger to get Kalil. A plug and play, prototypical LT is mighty tempting.

Highly unlikely, Nix likes to get his lineman latter.

Personally...well, if these was one person in the draft top five that is considered both an elite player and a position of immediate need to fill it would be Kalil. While it is true that no one can know for sure whether a pick will succeed or flounder Kalil is pretty much the prototypical LT. After he is gone, I don't see anyone worth reaching past 10 for.

With that said, do I think that if we don't pay an exorbitantly high price the pick will inevitably cost us do I think that our O-line will collapse? No. Quality people can be found in later rounds, but this provides some certainry.

Tim-

They might move if the price is right. What if they put the word out that the fins are interested in moving up to pick Tannehill? Might Cleveland if they also want him be willing to give something up to move up one slot?

If you say you have no interest in trading a pick you might not get offers that you receive b y tossing the idea out there.