Signing Vincent Jackson In FA Would Be a Franchise Changer

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused: in another thread, you stated this about VJ -

"Chargers (Vincent Jackson)I'm tired of posting about him but his numbers don't compare to stevies check the pinned thread for my comparison. On top of quitting on his team for more money."

Here, you are excited about the prospect of signing him. Where do you really stand on the issue?

Well if it wasn't apparent to everyone before it is now. You're only goal is to go after certain members. As section122 educated you... I DID NOT SAY THAT!!!

I'm a big fan of getting this guy.

But I think most of us can agree that it won't change our franchise unless we get two serious pass rushers and improve our O line.

If these things happen, the Bills will be playing in January for a change.

AGREED

Marauder24, on 06 March 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

I'm confused: in another thread, you stated this about VJ -

"Chargers (Vincent Jackson)I'm tired of posting about him but his numbers don't compare to stevies check the pinned thread for my comparison. On top of quitting on his team for more money."

Here, you are excited about the prospect of signing him. Where do you really stand on the issue?

:worthy:

AAANNNNNHHHHH! Wasn't me. Never said it. Is tgre99 really marauder agreeing with himself?

Edited by PDaDdy

AAANNNNNHHHHH! Wasn't me. Never said it. Is tgre99 really marauder agreeing with himself?

when I saw his :worthy: right after I had clarified that it was indeed me who had said it I wondered how bad the reading comprehension on this board was but then again this could also explain it.

is Jackson really good at catching short dump offs?

with an OL than can not pass block, that's the longest pass Fitz is able to complete before getting buried

give me a break. And even if this was the truth (which it's not), the line should be set after our first round pick this year and having everyone healthy. And then u can stop your bitching. jeez, even Bill in nyc isn't too unhappy with the line anymore.

If you think the Bills will sign a blockbuster free agent like VJ or Mario Williams your having a wet dream. Buffalo will get bargain players on the cheap to fill the voids. Maybe even another Shawn Merriman to ride the bench.

It is what it is.

Hey, but it's MY wet dream and stay out of it!

ps- we WILL be in the hunt for Mario. Imagine what that would do for ticket sales.

give me a break. And even if this was the truth (which it's not), the line should be set after our first round pick this year and having everyone healthy. And then u can stop your bitching. jeez, even Bill in nyc isn't too unhappy with the line anymore.

Hey, but it's MY wet dream and stay out of it!

ps- we WILL be in the hunt for Mario. Imagine what that would do for ticket sales.

That brings up an interesting question - Does anyone know what the attendance figures are since Nix has been in charge? Remember, the Bills brought in a washed up WR (T.O.) for that very reason (to sell tickets) Maybe signing V.Jax for $11 Mill Per Season isn't such a bad idea... Draft a LT #1 and maybe Fitz will have the time to throw deep to V.Jax...

Could you freaking imagine Johnson and Nelson to the right, VJ to the left. AND Freddie and Spiller in the backfield on 2nd and 3? Fitz drops back to pass........how in the hell do you even attempt to cover all five of those guys?

press coverage and bring the heat

the OL can not sustain blocks for more than 2-3 seconds

combined with Fitz's inaccuracy downfield and little to throw anyway - the offense is pretty much neutralized

WR is interesting for Buffalo they need a deep threat who can command attention and get the offense moving down field. Is Jackson that? I don't know his speed isn't that of a burner but he does seem to get the offense down field. Stevie basically needs a guy to open the cap on the offense so he can get to work. There are lots of free agent WR's so it would be easy to see the Bills trying to find a guy in free agency, then putting the draft to use in fixing the D and O-line.

I just don't see Vincent Jackson coming to Buffalo. For one, he's been offered, so the rumor is, somewhere in the neighborhood of 11 million a season from SanDiego - or, they're willing to go there for his services. The same source said (Profootballtalk) Vincent was interested in staying in SanDiego, to such a degree that he'd be willing to give them a discount. None of that bodes well for Buffalo.

Instead, I could see Buffalo going after a different available WR - one good enough to merit 4-6 million a year, one who would complement Stevie (unless they see Stevie as a #2 wideout, in which case they might find paying a #1 8-10 million a year as acceptable). But, that I doubt. If they're looking for a great reciever - one better, or with more potential than Stevie, then they'll look for him in the first round of the draft. My bet is that they find a good F.A. wideout in the area of 4-6 million a year, someone who can be a legitimate #2, and they hope guys like Nelson, EAsley, and Jones, all together, make a good enough WR group that defenses won't know where to look. And, I like that idea.

If they're going offense with the first pick - I think it'd be O-Line. A LT. You do that, and they get that good WR to go with the rest of the guys, and maybe even a good pass catching TE, and our running game and passing game improves - that would put the offense in the top 10.

Spend picks in the remainder of rounds on defense - with the exception of a TE, maybe - and bring in a FA linebacker or pass rusher, as well, and this team, as long as Fitz can get the job done consistently, is a playoff/wild card team.

Edited by sllib olaffub

Would it be horrible if we got R Moss and went really hard after Super Mario, and signed him :blush: ! I think this would be more of a franchise changer! Just my 4.5 cents worth.

Ugh. A malcontent on the wrong side of 30? No thanks.

I'll take Mario, though. Have no idea if we can afford him. But I hope so!

I had forgotten about this thread. I deeply apologize to everyone who was so offended that I didn't give a detailed explanation on a Tuesday afternoon; please forgive me.

I don't look at VJ as a franchise changer. He is not a winner, i believe he held out a few times, DUI's etc.

Plenty of WR's in the draft....Lets throw that money at Super Mario or someother defensive stud or a TE who can move the chains....

Yah this is how I look at it. He's a nice player, sure but he's a perfect fit for the Chargers offense. Rivers despite having his worst season last year is still really good, and he didn't miss a beat in 2010 throwing to nobodies when VJax was out. And in today's nfl young WR's are making an impact in their 1st-2nd years more than ever before. How will this signing look 2-3 years from now when Fitz is gone and we're grooming a young QB with a high priced north of 30 WR?

I'd be all for Mario. More elite at his position, a more important position, and a position of more need for the Bills. He'll cost a lot but as Bill Barnwell pointed out in his article yesterday he's still better value for us than some middling FA we'd have to overpay to come to Buffalo (see Dockery, Derrick).

Edited by BuffOrange

Meachem or Garcon would make me happy. I'm just concerned with Vjack's attitude/DUI history...

Agree. Meachem or Garcon would be less expensive and give us similar results while leaving money for another free agent to fill our many holes. And he is too old for the future when we finally have a real QB and not a stopgap.

Edited by simpleman

Agree. Meachem or Garcon would be less expensive and give us similar results while leaving money for another free agent to fill our many holes. And he is too old for the future when we finally have a real QB and not a stopgap.

Rumor has it Garcon will be following Peyton. And w/ Meachem I guess you can look at it one of two ways...a) he didn't put up numbers with Drew Brees in a historically prolific offense despite being a former 1st rd pick or b) was there a log-jam at WR that prevented him from putting up big numbers and realizing his potential. I tend to think it is more of the former rather than the latter. Cream tends to rise to the top, and it hasn't with him.

Edited by stony

Vincent Jackson and Marque Colston will hit the jackpot in free agency this year, probably 12million+ for VJ.

Will Stevie still be happy knowing that the guy opposite him is making almost double what he makes, and had about the same stats last season?

Colston had better stats and may command less money, that is "IF" he wants to come to Buffalo.

then there is the pie, should the Bills sign either VJ or Mario they won't have much money left over for other free agents...one big slice or several regular ones.

PS, I don't see Vincent Jackson as a "franchise changer" or he would have done that in San Diego with Phillip Rivers on a much better team, better coaches, better scheme, better O line to allow deep passing.

Calvin Johnson OTOH IS a franchise changer. If the Bills were smart they would find a way to get a LT and draft WR Stephen Hill 6'5'' 200 lbs and he ran a 4.36. Hill with that kind of speed really could be a franchise changer. Plus since he was required to block heavily in that run oriented GT offense, so he is an excellent blocker

Edited by Fear the Beard

Will Stevie still be happy knowing that the guy opposite him is making almost double what he makes, and had about the same stats last season?

You must have not been following Stevie Johnson's, Merriman's etc twitter page....he's on record wanting him.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Washington is going to go after him hard, per ProFootballtalk.com. I'm not on board with spending 10 million or more a year on a reciever - a reciever to split the #1 role with Stevie Johnson, when there are other very good recievers out there to be had in the draft, or in F.A. (I really, really like Early Doucette? out of Arizona as a very good #2 reciever for us, probably at 4 million to 5 million a year - he's fast as can be and he can catch in traffic and on the move). Think about it! Going after Vincent Jackson would be saying we'd be willing to spend about 70% of what it'd take annually to land Mario Williams!!! on a Reciever!!! I'd be much, much happier getting Mario and drafting a good wideout or someone like Early from Arizona, than the other way around.

You must have not been following Stevie Johnson's, Merriman's etc twitter page....he's on record wanting him.

Yea I saw that. It still begs the question... who would be the #1 WR if both have about the same stats. Would there be any animosity if VJ starts to see the majority of the balls or vice versa.

VJ has had only one year with 68 receptions back in 2009, and averages about 60 receptions a year even on a much better team then Buffalo has had.

Some team is going to over pay for Jackson.

All the talk from one bills drive is hinting at throwing a ton of money at some big free agents.

IMO with Buddy Nix, Vincent Jackson is the one. Buddy likes his people because there is a comfort level with them, and Jackson is "his guy" as he was part of the scouting that brought him to the NFL. It just makes sense! Get it done Buddy!!!

At this point if they land Jackson it would not come as a surprise because what has transpired up to this point.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever