Wanna buy JP Losman's house?

If it's apprised at the asking price I would call 17K cheap. HOA fee I don't get. Gated Community?

it's not a gated community, oakland runs perpendicular to Bryant street right next to children's hospital. I've been to the house in person its absolutely gorgeous, all the houses on that street are

And they wonder why people are moving away from the area ?? Look at the taxes per year $15000 thats freakin hwy robbery !!! :devil:

It's a $710,000 house and you think $15,000 in taxes is highway robbery?

A three story house with two bedrooms? Weird.

It's a pretty common configuration for a townhouse.

it's not a gated community, oakland runs perpendicular to Bryant street right next to children's hospital. I've been to the house in person its absolutely gorgeous, all the houses on that street are

It's a great location. It definitely is not a gated community, but I do believe that there is more than one unit in that building.

And they wonder why people are moving away from the area ?? Look at the taxes per year $15000 thats freakin hwy robbery !!! :devil:

That's roughly five times my tax rate.

Or, to look at it another way, if my tax rate were that high, about 40% of my monthly mortgage payment would be going into escrow. That's insane.

Yes, I do.

My house is (was...) valued at around $180k and our property taxes are around $2,200. So for a $710,000 house, we'd be paying around $8,800 - a far cry from $15k.

In Minnesota, property taxes are even lower.

Not to mention our sales tax is nowhere near the ~9% it is in WNY.

Yes, I do.

My house is (was...) valued at around $180k and our property taxes are around $2,200. So for a $710,000 house, we'd be paying around $8,800 - a far cry from $15k.

In Minnesota, property taxes are even lower.

Not to mention our sales tax is nowhere near the ~9% it is in WNY.

Agreed! 17k for a 710k home is highway robbery and also a big reason home values here and everything else is so suppressed. An equivalent home (710k) in Massachusetts would be about 6k in taxes and even lower in NC. About 8-10k in Florida. So yes, what extra do you get in Buffalo for the at least 7k more you pay? Nothing and that is the point.

Not really the forum for this but I just agree with Fezmid and the rest of the people who move here and are absolutely shocked by the property taxes.

But hey, props to Losman for keeping his home here so long. He still likes Buffalo. Too bad it never worked out for him.

More like highway robbery where the robber pistol whips the victim just for the hell of it. But I guess they have to pay for all those government employee early retirements somehow, huh?

If it's apprised at the asking price I would call 17K cheap. HOA fee I don't get. Gated Community?

Actually no - extremely accessible to the public and a pretty sh_tty location, if you ask me.

Oakland Place - a 1-block street btwn Elmwood and Delaware Avenues, running from SummerStreet to Bryant Street, with Childrens Hospital at the end of the block.

Think helipads, ambulances, and lots of sirens and noise.

Oakland Place is a great place to take a walk down in the summer time. The houses look awesome from the outside, and I'm sure there are some that are even nicer on the inside than JP's.

True. I used to live on Oakland right on the corner of Bryant just across from CH. The houses are amazing there. All of them. Not saying the taxes aren't outrageous, but if you have the means it's defenately worth it if you like that sort of thing.

Actually no - extremely accessible to the public and a pretty sh_tty location, if you ask me.

Oakland Place - a 1-block street btwn Elmwood and Delaware Avenues, running from SummerStreet to Bryant Street, with Childrens Hospital at the end of the block.

Think helipads, ambulances, and lots of sirens and noise.

It's really not as bad as you make it out to be. Yes there's a little more road noise at night but mostly just from the generators and fans humming. In 2 years I can't remember a single Helicopter ride. If it happened it didn't wake me up. The humming at night actually turned me on to a must have fan in order to fall asleep. Quiet hum at night vs silence is nice IMO.

It's really not as bad as you make it out to be. Yes there's a little more road noise at night but mostly just from the generators and fans humming. In 2 years I can't remember a single Helicopter ride. If it happened it didn't wake me up. The humming at night actually turned me on to a must have fan in order to fall asleep. Quiet hum at night vs silence is nice IMO.

OK JP, I'll buy your freakin' house then!

I do as well, I am here in Florida now moved over 7 years ago my house appraises for 1,200,000 and I pay about 12k a year in taxes and that is without a homestead credit ! No HOA fee but we do have cameras entering and exiting the community which we all chip in 25 bucks a year to pay maintenance of the equipment.

My family still has a lake house in Canandaigua, NY with just over 100 ft of waterfront taxes are over 25k per year. NY is insane on taxes, God Bless florida !

I lived there, too. Two houses in from Elmwood, across the street from the hospital. Within a very short period of time, the ambulances and noise really have no affect on you. You barely or don't even hear it. It's kind of a remarkable phenomenon but it's true. It's a great, great place to live in Buffalo, IMO.

This is kinda weird, cause it seems like only yesterday we had a thread where we were discussing an article about JP buying this same townhouse. I can't believe it was that long ago. Sucks that the guy liked B-lo as much as he did, but didn't work out for him.

I lived there, too. Two houses in from Elmwood, across the street from the hospital. Within a very short period of time, the ambulances and noise really have no affect on you. You barely or don't even hear it. It's kind of a remarkable phenomenon but it's true. It's a great, great place to live in Buffalo, IMO.

<Entire building shakes & rumbles as the "L" roars past>

Jake Blues: How often does the train go by?

Elwood Blues: So often that you won't even notice it.

<Entire building shakes & rumbles as the "L" roars past>

Agreed! 17k for a 710k home is highway robbery and also a big reason home values here and everything else is so suppressed. An equivalent home (710k) in Massachusetts would be about 6k in taxes and even lower in NC. About 8-10k in Florida. So yes, what extra do you get in Buffalo for the at least 7k more you pay? Nothing and that is the point.

Not really the forum for this but I just agree with Fezmid and the rest of the people who move here and are absolutely shocked by the property taxes.

But hey, props to Losman for keeping his home here so long. He still likes Buffalo. Too bad it never worked out for him.

Not in NC where I live. My tax rate is around 1.2%, so $710k house would be around $8,500. If I lived in Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham it would be over $10k...

But yes, $17k per year would be a major disincentive to buy the house. The house looks very nice otherwise.

Edited by vincec

That is insane...Everyone says it is affordable housing in Buffalo-they are, but the taxes are horrid and make the prices really the same as other places deemed super expensive-like California..That house in California would be 2 million, but the taxes on this house over thirty years takes the price up to $1,220,000!!!!. NYS just plain sucks.They are like a dysfunctional old dinasaur of a company still operating like GM before they almost folded in 2009...Bethlehem Steel in the 1970's -same thing with NYS...NYS cannot sustain the model they run within.It will eventually comecrashing down-pretty soon too, unless they chnage the whole state sytem of taxes , unions, pension etc...

17K in taxes? HOA fee of $300?

It actually says that the taxes are $15,700 but yeah the taxes are still ridiculous.

When I left Buffalo ten years ago I believe the property tax rate was around 3%… out here in San Jose (which is not cheap), the rate is 1.25%.

It's nice that everyone is commenting on the environment (which I'm familiar with having lived on Bryant Street and in the Elmwood Village for years) but no one has explained why there is an HOA fee.

Is this a former mansion which has been divided into multiple units perhaps? It says townhouse/condo but I thought I heard he had bought an old mansion.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I do as well, I am here in Florida now moved over 7 years ago my house appraises for 1,200,000 and I pay about 12k a year in taxes and that is without a homestead credit ! No HOA fee but we do have cameras entering and exiting the community which we all chip in 25 bucks a year to pay maintenance of the equipment.

My family still has a lake house in Canandaigua, NY with just over 100 ft of waterfront taxes are over 25k per year. NY is insane on taxes, God Bless florida !

Skooby?