Albany Newspaper Trashes Bills Nation

A local Albany Parenting Blogger turned sports columnist wrote a horrible piece that beats up on an 82 year old woman for liking the Bills...Amongst other attacks.

You can read it on the Albany Times Union's Website. I am not posting the link because I don't want to give her the pleasure of the increased direct link views.

The Albany Bills Backers have responded. Read our Response.

Edited by Albany Bills Backer

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's strange that a newspaper would call out a segment of their readers with such venom. The only response would be don't go to their website or buy their papers. Do they cover the Pats alot in Albany? Or is it mainly Giants/Jets?

Edited by Carey Bender

It's strange that a newspaper would call out a segment of their readers with such venom. The only response would be don't go to their website or buy their papers. Do they cover the Pats alot in Albany? Or is it mainly Giants/Jets?

Mainly Jets and Giants. I would say the Bills are the 3rd team, and Pats 4th.

A local Albany Parenting Blogger turned sports columnist wrote a horrible piece that beats up on an 82 year old woman for liking the Bills...Amongst other attacks.

You can read it on the Albany Times Union's Website. I am not posting the link because I don't want to give her the pleasure of the increased direct link views.

The Albany Bills Backers have responded. Read our Response.

Your response seems well reasoned to me. Good job! :thumbsup:

My censored response is as follows, because I was highly offended:

I am a well educated, compassionate, thoughtful, and caring man. I still am after reading your article, but my response will not be erudite or clever; that I promise you.

Simply put, "forget" you you stupid, arrogant, thoughtless "beatch", and stick all of your snide Bills comments up your "rump", if there enough room for it with all of the "poop" coming down the other way.

That felt good... if they don't want more Bills fans calling them and emailing them with colorful responses, then maybe they'll stop allowing that sort of 'journalism' to be published. You don't pick on an 82 year old woman and make fun of her to make a point- that REALLY PD me off.

People in Albany pointing fingers ought to look out their windows and realize they are in ALBANY. They have nothing to laugh about.

PTR

Let's not make this about Albany... let's make it about the lazy, bull **** journalism that sportswriters at Albany's local paper have been churning out for as long as I can remember. I emailed the editor with my displeasure.

MY E-Mail to Gish..

Your article about The Bills was beyond retarded. If you actually consider it an article…

I work in sports media in Southern California

And I can tell you that there is more of a buzz out

Here about The Bills right now than there is about

Albany’s NFL team..Wait you guys don’t have Any pro sports teams.

Stands to reason why they’d have someone like you be a writer of sports in a town with no sports!

Congratulations on that.

The Bills have the 4th largest NFL fan base in United States.

When you bash that base, you will be hearing from them.

Not that anyone really cares….Not like you are anybody of any significance in sports anyways…

People in Albany pointing fingers ought to look out their windows and realize they are in ALBANY. They have nothing to laugh about.

PTR

Promo T--don't fall into the trap! I haven't read Ms. Gash's column but it likely would have riled me up. I've been in Albany for 20 years (proudly born and raised in Kenmore). There are some great people out here. Some love to bust my chops a bit about the Bills, some understand on some level the pain associated with being a bills fan, but most are pretty good people. I stopped worrying about what the morons think a looonnnng time ago.

Let's not make this about Albany... let's make it about the lazy, bull **** journalism that sportswriters at Albany's local paper have been churning out for as long as I can remember. I emailed the editor with my displeasure.

wuh-ur-duh.

Stay strong, my Albany brothers! I dropped an email to this witch:

Ms. Gish,

I just finished reading your op-ed column about Bills fans in the Albany area. Pretty sophomoric and petty stuff. I used to read drivel like that in my old college newspaper -- and that wasn't a very good publication either. Obviously, your aim is to rag on Bills fans who, for a rare occasion, can dare to dream a little bit and soak up some long-missing national attention. But to what end? Tell me about a fan base that isn't brash or boastful or irrational about their team, will you? Bills fans and the Bills franchise, even in their finest seasons, have found a way to be the butt of jokes from coast to coast. When the team isn't producing a season that is downright awful, they are losing gut-wrenching playoff games (the list is long, as you know). So what if these fans want to raise their voices a bit after two consecutive victories, which have catapulted them to the center of many national sports outlets. ESPN, CNN/SI, Fox Sports and many others have spotlighted the Bills and their players in features and columns without even a seconds delay. Yet, it's completely absurd and ill-founded (in your opinion) for Bills fans of the region to clamor for a bit more coverage in your newspaper? I wasn't aware you worked for the NY Times, Ms. Gish. I have a suggestion, how about you spend a little less time being condescending and a bit more time understanding the pulse of the sports fan. There's a new feeling around these Bills, maybe you oughta turn down your nose and take notice.

Mark in Newark, Del.

This bimbo is just down right stupid. That was a condesending slap in the face article to all Bills nation. Hope she gets canned.

I just read the article and it reads to me that she is either a Pats or Jets fan that is using her job as a means to trash talk opposing fans. Insanely improper and childish and she should be canned for it. I would be offended even if I wasn't a Bills fan if that was in my paper. Thankfully, even though I do live very near to Albany, I don't bother picking up copies of the Times Union, and now I never will. Heck, I might just block their website.

Edited by kdub

Mainly Jets and Giants. I would say the Bills are the 3rd team, and Pats 4th.

My merchandise sales numbers indicate:

1. Giants

2. Jets

3. Patriots

4. Bills

The department store Target sells Giants & Jets merchandise in Albany and Giants & Patriots merchandise in Saratoga.

I have said it many times F**K Albany!

Sent her an email (which I'm 95% sure she won't respond to) calling her a pathetic excuse for a journalist and accused her of stealing from the ATU because she doesn't deserve to be paid as a professional.

Edited by bills1960

1. Giants

2. Jets

3. Patriots

4. Bills

The department store Target sells Giants & Jets merchandise in Albany and Giants & Patriots merchandise in Saratoga.

More likely-You're not very good salesman.

Pinhead, snotty column all the way.

No. 1, it's a poor journalism/business decision not to cover the Bills, a team with some of the most devoted fans in the NFL, when your paper is just a few hours from the city.

No. 2, the paper has less than 100K circulation, is struggling with ad revenue, and had to accept voluntary layoffs recently. She's acting as if Bills fans are trying to get coverage in The Wall Street Journal, which, by the way, does cover the Bills.

No. 3, she's clearly trying to be funny...I hope you all see that. Only thing, it comes off badly. All in all, it's just lame to bash this fanbase that has stuck with this team for so long...and an 82 year old woman.

On another note, the response by the Albany Backers would have been substantially better, and would have had far more impact, with humor or sarcasm. To take that silly column, from a parenting blogger, so seriously completely makes her point. Humor is your best weapon against this nonsense.

Here's Ms. Gish... no wonder she's so bitter... just sayin'

post-7113-003304500 1316726341_thumb.jpg

Yes.

Oh, sorry, wrong type of thread.

We've got several members of TBD that live and work in the Capital region. Please take that in consideration before slamming the entire region.

As a journalism student I'm not even sure what that is? That might be the worst article/column i've ever read.

Keep it can use it later in your studies to disect it as an example of how journalism doesnt work. And HAH to THE Sully haters.

1. Giants

2. Jets

3. Patriots

4. Bills

Seek therapy.