Albany Newspaper Trashes Bills Nation

People in Albany pointing fingers ought to look out their windows and realize they are in ALBANY. They have nothing to laugh about.

PTR

Well said. (My wife spent four years there. She uses the word "armpit" a lot when discussing it.)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure Bills fans in Albany didn't start this little tiff - a long time ago? And maybe the newspaper finally got fed up?

That's the impression I get from reading the article.

Why go where you're not wanted?

Could you explain what you mean? I have lived in the Albany area for 19 years, originally from Lancaster, and don't get your point.

Could you explain what you mean? I have lived in the Albany area for 19 years, originally from Lancaster, and don't get your point.

It's simple: Buffalo Bills fans in the Albany area are angry that a local newspaper reporter criticizes them in an article. But it looks like between the newspaper and the local CBS television station, Bills fans have been needlessly hassling them for years.

When I first read the post yesterday about the article I thought it was completely uncalled for and the reporter should be in trouble for writing it. Now I realize that the newspaper staff are probably fed up with local Bills fans who continually complain that they are being ignored.

So the newspaper shot back!

If they don't like the Bills in the Albany media, why try to force yourselves on them?

It's simple: Buffalo Bills fans in the Albany area are angry that a local newspaper reporter criticizes them in an article. But it looks like between the newspaper and the local CBS television station, Bills fans have been needlessly hassling them for years.

When I first read the post yesterday about the article I thought it was completely uncalled for and the reporter should be in trouble for writing it. Now I realize that the newspaper staff are probably fed up with local Bills fans who continually complain that they are being ignored.

So the newspaper shot back!

If they don't like the Bills in the Albany media, why try to force yourselves on them?

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

What do you mean, needlessly harassing them for years? There is a significant population of Bills fans in the area and it is not unreasonable for these fans to request more coverage of our team. During the Super Bowl run, their was significant coverage here to the point where WNYT created a fan poll wherein residents could vote on which game would be shown each week (Bills or Jets). Understandably, Bills coverage went south as the teams fortunes declined. While the Bills in recent years have pretty much become an also-ran in the sports coverage, they (and Bills fans) were never disrespected until Ms. Gish's article.

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

What do you mean, needlessly harassing them for years? There is a significant population of Bills fans in the area and it is not unreasonable for these fans to request more coverage of our team. During the Super Bowl run, their was significant coverage here to the point where WNYT created a fan poll wherein residents could vote on which game would be shown each week (Bills or Jets). Understandably, Bills coverage went south as the teams fortunes declined. While the Bills in recent years have pretty much become an also-ran in the sports coverage, they (and Bills fans) were never disrespected until Ms. Gish's article.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/135501-albany-tv/

"I've harrassed the program director at CBS 6 in Albany for years now and he hates hearing from me."

If the local newspaper and local CBS television station found it in their financial interest to cover and broadcast the Buffalo Bills, they would.

By the sounds of it there's some really a**hole Bills fans in the Albany area who don't like the fact that they're behind the Giants, Jets, and Patriots. Three teams with seven Vince Lombardi trophies between them, it should be noted. :bag:

So what do these fans do? They badger the s**t out of the newspaper and television station. So finally the newspaper had enough and fired back at the local Bills fans.

This is what Ms. Gish wrote:

"You're getting crazy notions again, demanding more Bills coverage in the Times Union. One of you left voicemails for the sports department that would make even a potty mouth like Ron Jaworski blush."

I suppose the potty mouth voice-mails were profanity?

So the Bills fans in the Albany area started this whole mess. I don't understand why they force themselves on media who don't want them.

Worse, they probably look pretty stupid in front of the non-Bills fans there.

"I've harrassed the program director at CBS 6 in Albany for years now and he hates hearing from me."

If the local newspaper and local CBS television station found it in their financial interest to cover and broadcast the Buffalo Bills, they would.

By the sounds of it there's some really a**hole Bills fans in the Albany area who don't like the fact that they're behind the Giants, Jets, and Patriots. Three teams with seven Vince Lombardi trophies between them, it should be noted. :bag:

So what do these fans do? They badger the s**t out of the newspaper and television station. So finally the newspaper had enough and fired back at the local Bills fans.

"You're getting crazy notions again, demanding more Bills coverage in the Times Union. One of you left voicemails for the sports department that would make even a potty mouth like Ron Jaworski blush."

So the Bills fans in the Albany area started this whole mess. I don't understand why they force themselves on media who don't want them.

I would love to say you're kidding but I think you take this far too seriously. You're overstating the case a wee bit, don't you think? Nonetheless, this is certainly not worth arguing over.

How real fans act and behave? If someone spit in your face and made fun of your grandmother where thousands of people could see, you'd just write a tame civilized letter and call it a day?

Sorry, but I'm old school like my father... I don't take crap from ANYONE and I'll call them every name in the book if they wrote that kind of stuff about my team, an 82 year old woman who deserves respect, and manipulated the representative of a Bills Backers. That's about as close as spitting in my face with words as you can get. Don't go calling me not a real fan for going the mad as hell and not taking it any more route.

I think you missed the point of my original response that I sent to the lady who wrote the article. My point, and what I was trying to express, is that True Fans will be Fans and Fanatical about their team when they are on top or on the bottom. Many of us Bills fans are exactly that way.

And, yes, I would most likely use my words in a tame and civilized way. I don't take crap from anyone either, but I also know where to draw the line. She didn't call any of us any names or four-letter words. She wrote a letter to Bills fans about how she feels about us. She manipulated us, absolutely, and she was wrong to do so, but that does not warrant anyone verbally abusing someone for their opinion, regardless of how they came to it.

I did not call you nor anyone else "not a real fan." Again, my point to her, and now you, is that true fans are there for the good times as well as the bad. That is all I was trying to express.

....I don't take crap from anyone either, but I also know where to draw the line.

Looks like the newspaper got tired of taking crap from local Bills fans who did NOT know where to draw the line.

:thumbsup:

Great News: It looks like Buffalo Bills fans now realize that they unnecessarily started a fight with the local Albany newspaper and now understand why the newspaper fought back.

Bills fans now understnd that leaving profanity laced voice-mail messages and "demanding" e-mail messages actually backfire. Bills fans also realize that "hassling" television stations for "years" to the point where they "hate" you also backfires.

They realize that despite a 2-0 record, the team hasn't been to the playoffs for what, eleven seasons?

Bills fans can now focus exclusively on beating the New England Patriots today!

All is calm. :D

GO BILLS!

:thumbsup:

A newspaper/TV station should NEVER listen to their customer

/pearlhowardman school of journalism