Stevie and Bills $2M apart

CBD

WGR Sports Radio 550 has learned through a league source that after exchanging contract proposals from one side to the other, the Bills and Johnson are $2 million per year apart in talks at this point in time.

The exact number being offered to Johnson by the Bills isn't known to this point, but the source said the difference between the organization's offer and the counterproposal made to Buffalo is $2 million per season.

http://wgr550.com/Source--Bills-and-WR-Johnson--2-Million-Apart/10974301

Edited by Carey Bender

That's actually better shape than I thought these negotiations would be in.

If true, are the Bills offering $5mil and he's asking for $7mil? Maybe it's $6mil vs $8mil?

I'm thinking more 7 v 9 or 8 v 10.

If the Bills came to TSW and learned that Stevie was way better than Lee Evans who the Bills paid 9 million to, they would have to start the negotiations by offering over 14-15 mil per year. ;)

I'm thinking more 7 v 9 or 8 v 10.

If the Bills came to TSW and learned that Stevie was way better than Lee Evans who the Bills paid 9 million to, they would have to start the negotiations by offering over 14-15 mil per year. ;)

That's my guess. 4 years and we are closer to 30 and he's closer to 40

He's not Larry Fitzgerald. I'd be surprised if the Bills go higher than $5-6m per yr

Your right, he's not.

Larry got 8 yr 120mil

I said 4 year 30-40 as where I think the talks are

Larry is 15m per, mine was between 8-10 given the talks of a gap of 2m. I think you need to look at who has signed 5m deals lately. They aren't clearcut #1 on their team. I think these talks are mid range up and coming #1 WR talks.

The Bills paid Evans 9m per yr. He's better than Evans, right?

He is potentially better than Lee, but I'd like to see him prove it.

Also, that was a terrible overpayment for Lee. I don't think we should make the same mistake twice.

Your right, he's not.

Larry got 8 yr 120mil

I said 4 year 30-40 as where I think the talks are

Larry is 15m per, mine was between 8-10 given the talks of a gap of 2m. I think you need to look at who has signed 5m deals lately. They aren't clearcut #1 on their team. I think these talks are mid range up and coming #1 WR talks.

Very good point. The market for a solid #1 receiver is probably closer to $8m. I honestly don't care what they pay him, I'll just be glad they sign him longterm.

Now can all the rollercoasters please stop crying "Ralph is cheap" and "we don't re-sign players".

I think you're being a bit premature there, Mike.

I've seen numerous times in 42 years of following this team that Ralph WAS cheap.

We shall see what, if any, wisdom he's managed to accumulate.

Remember Ralph recently said that he's finally learned that it's best "to have a scout ... a football guy, as your general manager."

Until a few extensions are given to deserving players, Ralph hasn't proven anything to me.

I've seen numerous times in 42 years of following this team that Ralph WAS cheap.

Remember Ralph recently said that he's finally learned that it's best "to have a scout ... a football guy, as your general manager."

Until a few extensions are given to deserving players, Ralph hasn't proven anything to me.

Uhhhhhh.....Kyle Williams?

Nix has said repeatedly that we will re-sign our key players. Stevie and Fitz will get deals. If Fred keeps performing the way he has been he might even get a bonus!

Now can all the rollercoasters please stop crying "Ralph is cheap" and "we don't re-sign players".

The deals aren't done yet. But this totally makes up for all of the cryptkeeper's miserly years. Yep, two potential signings did it. Just knowing that there are agents out there...negotiating...it just warms my chicken soup for the Bills fan soul.

FWIW...

WGR was reported this morning that the Bills are offering 6 mil per season, and Johnson wants 8 mil per season.

In terms of market the $8M seems about right, however I'm not sure how they factor in renegotiating the contract early and upping his minimum salary for this year before they have to.

2 things- can't they just franchise him next year anyway? And 2- I think he's worth $15 per season and I'll tell you why- he's continuing at the same pace as last year despite the fact that the greatest 37 catch a year/on pace for 16 catches this year decoy in the history of the NFL isn't there every play to take away all the double coverage.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

2 things- can't they just franchise him next year anyway? And 2- I think he's worth $15 per season and I'll tell you why- he's continuing at the same pace as last year despite the fact that the greatest 37 catch a year/on pace for 16 catches this year decoy in the history of the NFL isn't there every play to take away all the double coverage.

I suppose they could, the franchise tag for this year is $11.5M, seems as though they'd be better off just giving him the $8M.

I really don't think Stevie will, but I think he has the potential to pull a Vincent Jackson. I really don't want that. He is too good and worth the pay day. Fitz, in my mind has proven he is the guy around here for the next 6-8 years. He is 28 I think, so we get him under contract until he is 34-36 years old and we'll be ok. We have Thigpen for a few years and then 3-4 years down the road we draft and groom a QB for 3-4 years. Freddie deserves a pay raise. If he does not get a new contract he should hold out next year. I would not have any problem with that. He is deserving and should use the only leverage he has in order to get paid. Since he is only in his third year of carrying the load I can see him playing for 3-4 more years. Maybe not as the featured back down the road, but certainly as the 3rd down back.

Nix has said repeatedly that we will re-sign our key players. Stevie and Fitz will get deals. If Fred keeps performing the way he has been he might even get a bonus!

Uhhhhhh.....Kyle Williams?

That's 1 extension by this regime, Mark.

Kelsay is another although it's debatable whether that was a good or even necessary move. Kelsay had already gotten a lucrative extension and I'm guessing the team approached his agent and not vice-versa.

Now the Bills minimally have 3 extensions that beg do be done.

Like I said to Mike. It's a bit premature to act as if this team's front office has their act together.

Don't confuse him with facts...

How ironic.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

In terms of market the $8M seems about right, however I'm not sure how they factor in renegotiating the contract early and upping his minimum salary for this year before they have to.

No. In terms of market $8M is sky high, thats calvin johnson, reggie wayne, andre johnson kinda money.

In no one's universe is steve johnson in their tier. He deserves to get paid but not as one of the best WR in the game. He's not.

Edited by K Gun Special

No. In terms of market $8M is sky high, thats calvin johnson, reggie wayne, andre johnson kinda money.

In no one's universe is steve johnson in their tier. He deserves to get paid but not as one of the best WR in the game. He's not.

Calvin Johnson: 6 years, $55.5 million + 8.5 million in incentives

Andre Johnson: 7 years, $63 million

Reggie Wayne I'll give you (for now), he's on the last year of his deal and making $6 million

But if you want to talk sky high, here's a reason why I think new receiver contracts might be higher than you expect...

Larry Fitzgerald: 8 years, $128.5 million

And the franchise tag is $11.5 million. So at $8 million Johnson would be coming in under the money currently being paid to some of the top receivers and, I would guess, under the contracts you will see more and more players getting.

Salaries are going up. The top WRs are going to be topping $10 million per year in their next deals, as we've seen with Fitz.

8 mil per season for stevie is a no-brainer.