Aaron Maybin watch... Gets Cut Again

eball

The guy had 2.5 sacks in 3 partial games w Jets as a standup OLB. We couldn't figure this out? He will be used on 3rd downs in passing situation s w Jets.

As PTR and NoSaint mentioned, he accumuated stats against camp fodder. Maybin had 3 sacks in 4 games for the Bills against scrubs during the 2010 preseason and 2 sacks in 2 games during the 2009 preseason (which actually came against starters for Pittsburgh and Detroit). Including the Chicago game this year he has 7.5 sacks in 10 career preseason games.

If Dave Wannstedt, as LB coach and assistant HC for the defense, didn't feel he could be a useful contributer or had any potential then I feel just fine that his preseason stats are padded but meaningless. Aaron Maybin went to high school with Rex Ryan's children in Baltimore which I believe has more than a little to do with this reclamation project. Besides, the Jets couldn't make Vernon Gholston into an NFL player, I won't feel bad that we gave up on Mayhem.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As PTR and NoSaint mentioned, he accumuated stats against camp fodder. Maybin had 3 sacks in 4 games for the Bills against scrubs during the 2010 preseason and 2 sacks in 2 games during the 2009 preseason (which actually came against starters for Pittsburgh and Detroit). Including the Chicago game this year he has 7.5 sacks in 10 career preseason games.

If Dave Wannstedt, as LB coach and assistant HC for the defense, didn't feel he could be a useful contributer or had any potential then I feel just fine that his preseason stats are padded but meaningless. Aaron Maybin went to high school with Rex Ryan's children in Baltimore which I believe has more than a little to do with this reclamation project. Besides, the Jets couldn't make Vernon Gholston into an NFL player, I won't feel bad that we gave up on Mayhem.

Seriously? Wow, "not what you know but who you know" on the 53-man roster!

Seriously? Wow, "not what you know but who you know" on the 53-man roster!

Chris Brown wrote about it in a blog at buffalobills.com last September when we played the Jets. Looks like it wasn't enough to keep him in the NFL!

Edited by Punch

Chris Brown wrote about it in a blog at buffalobills.com last September when we played the Jets. Looks like it wasn't enough to keep him in the NFL!

Pathetic, but I'm sure the Bills were shaking in their new uniforms with the thought of facing him twice a year. Punk.

I feel sorry for the guy. He's got the money he received when he was drafted, but I'm sure he's wanted to be an NFL player for most of his life, and he was never docked for effort. I can bring myself to feel gleeful about his getting cut.

I feel sorry for the guy. He's got the money he received when he was drafted, but I'm sure he's wanted to be an NFL player for most of his life, and he was never docked for effort. I can bring myself to feel gleeful about his getting cut.

I would feel the same way normally, too, but for the several stories I read last year of people who'd seen him around (one guy here worked out at the same gym, for ex.) and they made him sound like a jerk....

Im comfortable with it.

He never seemed grateful for his opportunity and that is something that always bugged me. Plenty of guys come in and don't make it, hell it was my dream to play in the NFL and the closest ill ever get is my season tickets every year. Maybin always came accross as he was entitled to do this, but he never took coaches advice, celebrated after jumping on someone elses play, showed up at 230 pounds soaking wet and was not liked on the team (give back that effing money!)

I feel bad for the guys that get cut and lose out on their dream, but I dont feel bad for Maybin.

Now we can speculate how he played at 230 in college, then magically went up to 250 in the months before the draft, then went back to 230 once he was in the pros.

Nope, now we can stop talking about the guy. He doesn't deserve the time or effort. We'll just remember him when we count down the list of really bad Bills draft picks.

The New York Jets have just released a versatile TOP TEN FIRST ROUND PICK from the 2009 Draft.

This phenom played at a major university where he just lit up the statistical data banks ... he apparently is all muscle with some extra special speed.

Although there is some debate as to the exact position he can play because he weighs in at about 230 ... a speed pass rusher from the OLB or perhaps even a SS ...

Buddy ... get on the wire and pick up Mr. Maybin because he is available probably at a price well below what the team picking him #1 in the draft paid initially ... oh wait a second it was the BILLS. Darn, I had put Aaron out of mind but here's a chance to give him another opportunity. :worthy:

The New York Jets have just released a versatile TOP TEN FIRST ROUND PICK from the 2009 Draft.

This phenom played at a major university where he just lit up the statistical data banks ... he apparently is all muscle with some extra special speed.

Although there is some debate as to the exact position he can play because he weighs in at about 230 ... a speed pass rusher from the OLB or perhaps even a SS ...

Buddy ... get on the wire and pick up Mr. Maybin because he is available probably at a price well below what the team picking him #1 in the draft paid initially ... oh wait a second it was the BILLS. Darn, I had put Aaron out of mind but here's a chance to give him another opportunity. :worthy:

Couldn't be talking about Maybin...he wasn't a top 10 pick.

Maybe he should try basketball. He has more of a b-ball physique.

Looks like he has a body builder's make up with super low body fat and small joints.

http://trialx.com/curetalk/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/07/sports/Aaron_Maybin-2.jpg

Definitely a bit of a misfit for football. No way could he ever play end like they originally drafted him for. Either situational pass rusher and/or special teams. I think he'll always be too big though for SS

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Maybe he should try basketball. He has more of a b-ball physique.

Oh wait! I know I know I know! Maybe he should play sports he is good at playing and not base it n his physique! Football does not appear to be one he is good at. If he can find a 4-3 team that isn't very good and be a situational speed rusher, maybe he could get better over time, but finding good football players instead of good combine pieces is probably a better strategy.

That he even made the jets initial 53 man roster and had a good preseason says something. Odds are some other team picks him up.

Yes, it does say something. Given this:

"He played well, and he's on our roster," Ryan said. "He's one of those guys we had talked about where we probably had three spots open, and I thought his play rushing the passer, that's what landed him on the roster."

It says that Ryan's ego, and failed attempt to show us up, almost put a bad player on his roster. It says that the GM finally had to step in and stop Rex from embarrassing himself and the organization.