Fans should realize we are still in rebuilding mode.

well played rook! i didn't fall for it but very, very, very well played! :beer:

Myabe Peter King is right...check out these stats and the write up on Donald Jones

Lee's Replacement

i saw a tweet from tim graham alluding to this...saying that the org. promised lee that they would send him somewhere favorable when they felt the time was right...this could have been the org. honoring that promise while sticking with the best interest of the org. if so...bravo...

Just speculation, but perhaps Evans was traded as a favor to him. No matter how much we want to believe otherwise, this team is AT LEAST a year away from

being a contender and Evans is near the end of his career. He should do well in Baltimore for a year or two and he wouldn't have had that much impact

here when the staff wants to get the young guys game experience.

Does this make the Bills better this year? No, but I don't think it is a big downgrade, either and it does get young guys on the field to see what they

can produce.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy it. First off, TO's little project was James Hardy and look where he is today.

Stevie showed a ton of promise his rookie year and was ready to turn the corner. Did taking a seat and watching TO help him? Perhaps, but let's be real here... the best thing for Stevie Johnson was live game action. The moment TO came into the fold, he barely played let alone dressed for games.

Evans is a vestige of the past. He's a one-dimensional player (albeit a good one) that has trouble with underneath routes. The Bills have plenty of speed at the position, diminishing the value of Lee's core strength. Time to say goodbye.

I don't often agree with you Dawgg, but I think you summed this one up perfectly.

Yeah, I get it....but this has been the line for the last 16 years.

And so now it's our strategy that we are building through the draft?

What does that mean? That we weren't really trying too hard in earlier drafts but now we will?

This crap is getting old. :bag:

The future is never. :bag:

At the risk of swimming against the current tide of outrage, that's a reasonable take. After all, who knows which one might be the next Steve Johnson.

I know people are pissed about the prospects for 2011, but this is not a playoff team with or without Lee Evans. They are looking to the future.

Except that it may have been easier for this team to unload Roscoe Parrish than Evans...considering that we already have a replacement for Parrish in Brad Smith.

Nothing changes until the ownership does. This franchise has been "rebuilding" for more than a decade.

Why do we have to jump on the ownership for every front office move. Go yell at Buddy and Chan as this is their choice.

Buddy builds his team with "bigger" people. One of the reasons he brought Craig Davis from SD to here. While I think they traded the wrong WR (Parrish instead of Evans), I don't think the owner has anything to do here. As another poster said, this franchise should have had a Buddy kind of GM in 2000...They hoped Donahoe would have been that, but all he waanted was revenge against the Steeler (For kicking him out in favor of the Chin).

+1.

This ain't baseball. Because of injuries, this is a short term league. The only time you plan for the long haul is when you draft a blue chip qb. Fitz, who I like, is in his prime. The time is now for him.

Dawgg, I often disagree with you, but i respect our opinion. I suspect Evans is going to have a big year for the ravens. Flacco has a big arm and good blocking. What do you think? My point is that on a normal team, he's a damn good player.

Let me throw this out at you. Among the Bills many stupid moves in the last twelve years, in my opinion the stupidest was not paying Peters. Look at Evans pre and post-Peters. I think it's pretty telling.

Flacco has good blocking???? Ha!!! Do you follow the NFL?

I posted this in another thread but it got closed... have at it - I completely agree with the early discussion/peter king discussion on donald jones:

Like it or not, trading veterans on the downside of their career is the Patriot Way. Now, if we had been winning more, lee might have fetched more than a 4th. But look at what bellicheck has done to build his team (not to mention, he just outright cut, CUT Lawyer Milloy who at that point was a hell of a lot more consistent than lee). You guys can't have your cake and eat it to. Either you get a FO that starts acting like a real FO and trades players trending downward for draft picks while there is still value, or you continue the model of riding them out through their contract and getting nothing. Ya'll can say Nix and Whaley have lost it, but they've done EXACTLY what the Pats would do and have done:

trade AWAY - 2010 Moss and a 7th for a 3rd (want to argue Lee is worth more than that? it's the same as a 4th). http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5653186

trade FOR - 2011 CO 5th and 6th (again want to argue Lee is better than CO? look at the numbers), http://espn.go.com/b...ots-source-says

trade FOR/AWAY - 2010 Deion branch 4th round pick (this is about what Lee is worth) http://en.wikipedia....ki/Deion_Branch

*** to be noted - they originally sent him for a 1st because 1.) he came from a winning team (always inflates value) 2.) was younger.

and this is just the WRs.... This hasn't even touched on the other trades like laurence maroney (under achieving 1st rounder they at least got some value for in getting back a 4th - again coming from a winning team, value always inflated with draft picks). Bottom line - you guys can't have a competent front office and NOT have moves like this. Grow up and get behind the FO. Nix is following a winning model, whether you like it or not. Just look at what winning franchises do long term - trade the vet talent once down hill and let the young guys build up and start rocking out.

Love the move = GO BILLLLLS!!!!

Edited by rpcolosi

I believe the real reason the Bills traded Evans was because they have 4 WRs from the class of 2010 that they don't want to cut. While their future is yet to be determined, one of them might just be an important player when the team gets good. By the time the team is good, they realize Evans' contract will be up & they had no intention of giving him another big $ contract.

So, to play it safe, it's better to keep Easley, Jones, Nelson & Roosevelt on the roster. With Johnson & Parish that's 6 receivers. Since they don't want 7 receivers on the roster,the oldest guy, Evans, was the odd man out. It's more a classic example of a team

knowing they're not winning this year & are investing time, including added playing time, into the future at the WR position.

This is all fine and dandy, but if they cut one of them and keep buster I am going to be furious

and this is what stands for hope, nowadays. yikes.

jw

His approach on hope was iffy, but what is your take on the trade?

I think it makes a ton of sense. We got some great young receivers. Plus the season hasn't even started yet.

The frustration as a fan is that we are always in rebuilding mode.

I'm glad to have football back, but concerned that the Bills will be out of playoff contention early in the season.

Out of playoff contention because Lee Evans is off the team??? He was key to the playoffs?

I can't remember where I saw it but it said something about how Evans doesn't suit Gailey's offense because he isn't comfortable running routes across the middle.

And isn't it ironic how for the past few weeks before entering Buffalobills.com there is the page with Stevie catching the ball, was it a sign?

I agree with the OP and "Loyal"

I wrote a fairly long post about this (with the quotes from Gailey) in the other Lee Evans thread if you care to read it...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/132896-evans-traded-to-baltimore/page__st__440

Brilliant logic. I have been a big Lee Evans fan forever, and as a fan I am extremely disappointed that we lost him. However, emotions aside, this is a wise move. Evans lacks a vital quality that this team needs at WO, physicality. He is a small player who never beats the jam against our divisional rivals, and never got open underneath. It is what it is now.

Completely agree. Evans is a great deep-ball WR and runs some nice sideline routes, but is actually sub-par in the middle of the field and underneath due to his aversion to contact. Don't think it will be that hard to replace his production, and Evans will be better off in a different system. WIsh him well.

I believe the real reason the Bills traded Evans was because they have 4 WRs from the class of 2010 that they don't want to cut. While their future is yet to be determined, one of them might just be an important player when the team gets good. By the time the team is good, they realize Evans' contract will be up & they had no intention of giving him another big $ contract.

So, to play it safe, it's better to keep Easley, Jones, Nelson & Roosevelt on the roster. With Johnson & Parish that's 6 receivers. Since they don't want 7 receivers on the roster,the oldest guy, Evans, was the odd man out. It's more a classic example of a team

knowing they're not winning this year & are investing time, including added playing time, into the future at the WR position.

Your analysis makes a lot of sense. I have a slightly different twist to the Evans trade. It has little to do with the development of the other receivers so much as taking a broader three to four year perspective on the reshaping of the roster. Buddy Nix and his associates made the decision that Evans wasn't in their long term plans, especially considering when his contract was up. Many critics are making the point that the Bills didn't get much in return on the trade. They didn't get much in return but something is certainly better than nothing.

The Bills are probably going to be a 5-6 win team this year, with or without Evans. So with that in mind it is smart to try to get something for him while you can. Is the productivity from Evan's spot going to be greatly reduced with his replacements? Probably not. Is Buster Davis or Easley, combined, going to have similar numbers? Probably so. The routes that Fitz is most comfortable with are of the quick slants type of routes. Those are not the type of routes that Evans thrives at.

Nix is receiving a lot of criticism for the Evans trade. That is understandable because there is so little trust for this very flimsy organization. People are simply tired of the mounting losses. But if one stands back and reviews the deal from a strategic long term project it makes a lot of sense.

Nix has laid out his approach on how to build a successful franchise. There is nothing novel about it. It is the standard approach other successful organizations take. You do it through the draft. Success is predicated on drafting well. The best way to judge Buddy Nix at this point is not through wins or losses, it is through player development. If last year's draft class in general do well and contribute this year then his plan is working. This year's draft class will be better judged next year.

In the grand scheme of things the Evans trade is not such a big deal. What it signals to me is that Nix has a plan and he is sticking to it, no matter how loud the howls are. Isn't it better to have a basic plan and follow it instead of the stupid Donahoe/Jauron/Levy/Brandon ad hoc approach.

The upside on this deal is that Evans gets a good opportunity to play for a playoff team. I wish him the best. He is a class person and deserves to be in a better football situation.

The following WGR interview with Merrill Hoge on the Howard Simon Show gives a good analysis on the impending Evans trade. I agree with his assessment. While many people are upset with the deal I'm not.

http://www.wgr550.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5422626

Edited by JohnC

His approach on hope was iffy, but what is your take on the trade?

I think it makes a ton of sense. We got some great young receivers. Plus the season hasn't even started yet.

Out of playoff contention because Lee Evans is off the team??? He was key to the playoffs?

i question the motives for making this deal.

and as i wrote, it opens up the Bills to being second-guessed for thinking this offense, which made modest gains last year, can improve without what's been its most consistent threat.

jw

:blink:

Addendum:

As a fan who's had to witness this dreck for the past however many decades, I can tell you I don't give a rat's ass about the future. I care about THIS year. Winning NOW. To paraphrase the old fool's handchosen GM: Show me the damned Baby, Buddy. to me, there is ZERO about what this front office has done that's geared toward winning in the short term. To be honest, there isn't much geared toward long-term winning either.

I agree with you six pack. This trade was complete bull ****. Kind of along the lines of Jauron firing the o cord a week before the season starts.

I totally agree with you. And I noticed some people are saying we lost the deep threat, I say Parrish is our deep threat now. He is small but fast and he has caught a few bombs in his day. Plus Evans didn't fit Fitz QB style anyway. Fitz isn't a deep ball QB. Intermediate yes but not deep and we have a ton of intermediate WR's. I think Nelson is going to step up this year myself.

I equate Buddy's roster-building philosophy to that of a family who saves for the future rather than spending everything they have. Of course the kids in the family want to see a flashy car in the driveway rather than a Taurus, but when their college tuition is paid for years later, the light comes on and they finally understand the wisdom of Dad's decisions.

Buddy time and again confounds most fans by going the delayed gratification route. Hopefully, 3 years from now when the roster is growing up together, the light will come on for all of us.

I do not expect Buddy to alter his philosophy just because he inherited a perennial loser with fans who are tired of losing. If Buddy DID change course just to please the "instant gratification" crowd, he'd be the wrong man for the job.

i question the motives for making this deal.

and as i wrote, it opens up the Bills to being second-guessed for thinking this offense, which made modest gains last year, can improve without what's been its most consistent threat.

jw

I didn't realize that Evans was its most consistent threat. He was more like the team's invisible threat. The Bills' status from a won/lost standpoint will be little affected by the deal. The upside for this deal is that Evans is liberated from a bad football situation for him and is now on a team where he has a better opportunity to thrive and be on a playoff team. I'm happy for him. I also believe that even allowing for a loud chorus of second guessing Nix's trade does make some sense for a rebuilding team.

Edited by JohnC

I agree. Ravens also drafted Tandon Doss so they will have a good 1-2-3.

I think we'll be fine at WR as well, keeping 6-7 WR's plus Spiller split out wide now and then.

Absolutely correct.

Just as TO delayed the development of Stevie Johnson, the presence of Lee Evans is going to unnecessarily delay the development of such players as Donald Jones, Namaan Roosevelt and David Nelson.

Can we stop using the term "rebuilding"? To rebuild something, there needs to be something of significance to rebuild. When you have a building that's been torn down and discarded, you have a vacant lot. When that lot is vacant for 20 years, and you decide to build something on it, you're just building. You're not rebuilding anything.

Well I have to say after reading all the chicken littles on the wall complaining about the trade, this is a very good take on why the trade may have happened. I will miss Lee, but if the plan is to get them young, groom them and let them grow as a team, then let the games begin. I think Nelson and Rosevelt with blossom. If Roscoe can stay healthy, then he'll pick up where he left off from last season. I'm actually thinking Chandler will be the diamond in the rough; the TE we've been waiting for.

Your analysis makes a lot of sense. I have a slightly different twist to the Evans trade. It has little to do with the development of the other receivers so much as taking a broader three to four year perspective on the reshaping of the roster. Buddy Nix and his associates made the decision that Evans wasn't in their long term plans, especially considering when his contract was up. Many critics are making the point that the Bills didn't get much in return on the trade. They didn't get much in return but something is certainly better than nothing.

The Bills are probably going to be a 5-6 win team this year, with or without Evans. So with that in mind it is smart to try to get something for him while you can. Is the productivity from Evan's spot going to be greatly reduced with his replacements? Probably not. Is Buster Davis or Easley, combined, going to have similar numbers? Probably so. The routes that Fitz is most comfortable with are of the quick slants type of routes. Those are not the type of routes that Evans thrives at.

Nix is receiving a lot of criticism for the Evans trade. That is understandable because there is so little trust for this very flimsy organization. People are simply tired of the mounting losses. But if one stands back and reviews the deal from a strategic long term project it makes a lot of sense.

Nix has laid out his approach on how to build a successful franchise. There is nothing novel about it. It is the standard approach other successful organizations take. You do it through the draft. Success is predicated on drafting well. The best way to judge Buddy Nix at this point is not through wins or losses, it is through player development. If last year's draft class in general do well and contribute this year then his plan is working. This year's draft class will be better judged next year.

In the grand scheme of things the Evans trade is not such a big deal. What it signals to me is that Nix has a plan and he is sticking to it, no matter how loud the howls are. Isn't it better to have a basic plan and follow it instead of the stupid Donahoe/Jauron/Levy/Brandon ad hoc approach.

The upside on this deal is that Evans gets a good opportunity to play for a playoff team. I wish him the best. He is a class person and deserves to be in a better football situation.

The following WGR interview with Merrill Hoge on the Howard Simon Show gives a good analysis on the impending Evans trade. I agree with his assessment. While many people are upset with the deal I'm not.

http://www.wgr550.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5422626

I agree with you too JohnC, but let's hope that the boss doesn't get impatient with this building and growing of the team amidst a few more years of losing seasons, and decides to hire someone new again.

Can we stop using the term "rebuilding"? To rebuild something, there needs to be something of significance to rebuild. When you have a building that's been torn down and discarded, you have a vacant lot. When that lot is vacant for 20 years, and you decide to build something on it, you're just building. You're not rebuilding anything.

excellent post. the term "rebuilding" gives the bills far too much credit, and excuses all sorts of ineptitude.

it takes a special kind of talent to be this bad for this long.

I totally agree with you. And I noticed some people are saying we lost the deep threat, I say Parrish is our deep threat now. He is small but fast and he has caught a few bombs in his day. Plus Evans didn't fit Fitz QB style anyway. Fitz isn't a deep ball QB. Intermediate yes but not deep and we have a ton of intermediate WR's. I think Nelson is going to step up this year myself.

Parrish will spend half the season injured, as usual. If anything HE should've been the one to be traded although I doubt that the Bills would've received more than a 6th or 7th round pick for him.

Parrish will spend half the season injured, as usual. If anything HE should've been the one to be traded although I doubt that the Bills would've received more than a 6th or 7th round pick for him.

i'd rather have a 7th for roscoe then a 4th for evans........the difference in value is marginal, yet in the locker room the difference is huge......but of course, it wasn't about either of those factors - it was about the payroll savings for ralph's pockets unfortunately

I agree. Ravens also drafted Tandon Doss so they will have a good 1-2-3.

I think we'll be fine at WR as well, keeping 6-7 WR's plus Spiller split out wide now and then.

I was thinking the same thing. For all those saying we can't replace Evans as a deep threat with what's on the roster, we have a running back who's built the same, only faster. One that Gailey admitted he couldn't figure out how to use last year. Motioning him wide out of the backfield every now and then and just letting him run straight down the field is more versatile than lining up a receiver every play whose one and only trick is that, no matter how good Evans was at it.

There is such thing as planning for the future, and still remaining respectable while doing it. This team has no legitimate threat at wide out going into the year. Stevie Johnson had a horrendous second half to the season after he lost his confidence in the Steeler game. This staff made it obvious last year that Evans wasn't in the plans, but atleast have something more than Marcus Easley if you are going to dump your best wide out. The guy has never even played an NFL game. Is a 4th round pick really that valuable that we make this deal now? I cant wait for fantasy football. The steal of the draft will be Lee Evans in the 9th or 10th round.

So everyone is upset that we traded a 30 year old wide receiver whos on the downside of his career for a 4th round draft pick, but everyone is ok with trading 23-24 year old Marshawn Lynch for a 4th round pick? Doesnt make sense

We were never gonna be a serious contender this year so why not get the best compensation for lee before he has no more value, we have so many young receivers that need to prove themselves. You guys get these crazy ideas in your head that this team is gonna win 10 games and make the playoffs every year and when we start making moves you get all whiny, understand this is for the best of the team and shut up.

Hopefully, 3 years from now when the roster is growing up together, the light will come on for all of us.

Since the average NFL career is 3.3 years, the majority of the team will be ready to turn over by then. :doh:

This isn't the '80s or early '90s where teams had the luxury of time to accumulate talent. Today, you've got quality starters for a single contract before FA and "greener grass" breaks up the band.

If Buddy thinks it will take 3+ more years to be competitive, he's the wrong man for the job.

Edited by Lurker

So everyone is upset that we traded a 30 year old wide receiver whos on the downside of his career for a 4th round draft pick, but everyone is ok with trading 23-24 year old Marshawn Lynch for a 4th round pick? Doesnt make sense

We were never gonna be a serious contender this year so why not get the best compensation for lee before he has no more value, we have so many young receivers that need to prove themselves. You guys get these crazy ideas in your head that this team is gonna win 10 games and make the playoffs every year and when we start making moves you get all whiny, understand this is for the best of the team and shut up.

expect them to make the playoffs every year? seriously, dude? i'd be happy to go .500 at this point.

please alert us when the team is competitive enough to critique their decisions.

I was thinking the same thing. For all those saying we can't replace Evans as a deep threat with what's on the roster, we have a running back who's built the same, only faster. One that Gailey admitted he couldn't figure out how to use last year. Motioning him wide out of the backfield every now and then and just letting him run straight down the field is more versatile than lining up a receiver every play whose one and only trick is that, no matter how good Evans was at it.

Good point. I think you have to add that thinking to Gailey's comments about Evans needing to do more in the middle of the field, not just a one-dimensional threat. I don't think Evans fits what Gailey wants.

The only thing I am dissappointed in is the 4th round pick for him. Thought it was a bit low (3rd sounds realistic). But other than that Evans is a one dimensional WR with fly route capabilities that can't run the crucial underneath and timing routes in the NFL. He does not make or break our offense and has pretty much been invisible for a number of years now. Did we really lose a leader? I dunno, I never seen it on the field. Was he a class act? Sure.

However, I don't mind dumping his salary for the sacrifice of the rebuild, locking up guys like Williams and Stevie long term, hopefully have a top 3 draft pick next year and make a splash next offseason in fa to polish the turd into one shiny one. :)We are not winning this year anyways. Its not that bad people.

Some how this sums up the pathetic organization from top down. Insert said player and wait til next year...have we really come to this conclusion? Keep rotating the coals like this is some farm/ Triple A system, I guess if we continue to support this turd. Its gonna continue to smell FOUL!!!

What salary saving??? Their 20 mil below the cap...this is a con game & the fan base needs to demand more from OBD.

Exactly! I agree that Lee wasn't a good fit with Gailey's "system", but he is a quality player on a team that has very few to spare. This was purely about money. Anyone who thinks differently is one of those fans that will defend anything and everything the front office does.

This reminds me of the day when Bills traded Eric Moulds to bank on Drew Haddad's future potential.

Even though I hate the Bills front office. This is a great take. It makes sense. Simply because you didn't justify today's move simply by saying that the Bills have a fantastic WR corps, even though no one knows if we do or not.

Well done.