Per Chris Brown - Bills won't target top 60 FAs

akm0404

Did anyone else hear this radio show? Or are we turning rumors and pure speculation into fact and overreacting before anything happens? I find it hard to believe that a guy like Nix would turn his hand face up and let everyone know what he plans on doing in regards to free agency well before the league is even open for business again.

you would? the bills don't run like a proper front office, they're constantly telegraphing their moves (i.e. we're going to draft a scatback) and looking downright foolish (i.e. i'll be asleep when free agency starts)

the bills should be trying to land ANY free agent that will fit the scheme for a fair price. will they get every guy they aim for? of course not, some guys won't want to play in buffalo, some guys won't be at that fair price the bills decide on, any number of reasons things don't work out. but they should be trying their damnest. the stance of ignoring the "top" free agents is foolish and utterly ridiculous - and i am not surprised at all that this foolish and ridiculous front office is taking this stance after the past few seasons. continual plan of paying big dollars for poor players who haven't done anything in buffalo but miss the playoffs.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you would? the bills don't run like a proper front office, they're constantly telegraphing their moves (i.e. we're going to draft a scatback) and looking downright foolish (i.e. i'll be asleep when free agency starts)

And when they don't tell us fans what they plan to do, we howl and moan they are not a professional front office. So which is it? :lol:

PTR

For folks who pretend not to care that something somebody heard on the radio and posted from memory is not the gospel truth there is a lot of interest in this thread. Why is that? Could it be the old ladies in the knitting group would really love for there to be no free agent signings? Stop deluding yourself. If the Bills didn't sign a single free agent much of this board would be ecstatic.

GO BILLS!!!

5600 hits (so far) say otherwise.

Ahhhhh nothing to overshadow the excitement over football being back better than a reminder of how cheap Ralph is.

I haven't followed the labor negotiations and generally haven't cared nor posted much in past couple of months, so I apologize for not being up to date on the new CBA. But, are teams really required to use 99% of their cap space? If so, that's great news. Though I'm sure there is some sort of loop hole I'm missing.

And in regards to who the Bills sign, I'd much prefer the Bills add quality depth instead of making a big name splash. The team still isn't close to being a serious playoff contender and until they are, I'd prefer depth over big names/big salary.

And when they don't tell us fans what they plan to do, we howl and moan they are not a professional front office. So which is it?

Perhaps neither. Maybe they should simply go out and sign a couple of players that can actually help the Bills win football games.

I would anticipate that they're going to go after guys they liked but may not be starters on other teams. They seem to LOVE trying to get the sleeper guys.

Well, when you consider the Bills of the past decade have been essentially sleepwalking through games...

Nix has openly stated:

1. They'll build through the draft.

2. They'll retain guys they identify as key players

3. They aren't fans of chasing "big money" guys

None of Brown's comments should be a shock to anyone that's paying attention. Chasing names doesn't work (see Washington Redskins) and letting your premiere players go is stupid.

I trust Buddy & Chan!

You'd think the Redskins model of using UFA is the only one and, ergo, what makes it wrong for Buffalo. Fact is, teams selectively build through the draft while judiciously using UFA to accelerate the rebuilding process.

As with any topic, there are nuances and a team that's 4-12 which, if the report is true, declines to wade at least into the pool tells me they're not serious about finishing their 2nd rebuild in 5 years. I don't think a lot of fans want to hear about how the rookies are coming along or the UDFA haul is great. They want to know what the team is doing now to improve, and that doesn't mean spending wildly like Snyder has been known to do.

Buddy and Chan have a lot to prove.

Lets wait and see what they actually do before passing judgement?

"BRILLIANT" and a BIG THANK YOU!!! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

A very cynical fan-base...trashing management before FA even begins. How bout a link next time CB referenced, he didn't post on his website so the info is in question (I wouldn't be surprised but I'll atleast hold judgement...)

Buddy Nix clearly made this a point of emphasis when he got hired and has reiterated this point all off season. Still some are shocked. They are going to build their core players through the draft.

Its worked out well so far judging by the 2010 class :wallbash:

"BRILLIANT" and a BIG THANK YOU!!! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

A very cynical fan-base...trashing management before FA even begins. How bout a link next time CB referenced, he didn't post on his website so the info is in question (I wouldn't be surprised but I'll atleast hold judgement...)

After a decade plus of mis-management and treating the fans like crap, the fans deserve to be a little cynical.

Is anyone really surprised? It is the same old Bills and their cheap ass owner. Can't wait until there is a new owner, hopefully they will still be in Buffalo when there is, but at least they may try to win. The Sabres owner is going to make Ralphy even worse now.

Why? When you sit back and really look at what the Sabres just did, have they really done much to make them contenders?

Getting Regher was a good move, Erhoff may be a good move, but talking to Canucks fans, many weren't sad to see him go and feel that he isn't worth the money being spent on him, and then theirs Leino who is being viewed as an answer to the C position converting him from a winger and giving him big money after one great year in the playoffs?

Did the Sabres spend alot of money and get value out of it, or is it going to end up being money spent for the sake of spending money?

I personally would rather see money spent wisely, then money spent just for the sake of spending money.

I can't believe this thread as garnered so much attention. Do you guys believe the OP? I find it funny tbh.

While I can see us not signing clabo or any of the top tackles, boss/ miller/Lewis or any of the top tier guys on the tbd "wish list" so to speak, I don't think the gameplan is to NOT try and sign a top 70 player. We have 3 top 70 fa's and I expect to sign two of them, flo and Poz, unless they really wanna get outta buffalo. To fill the salary cap, I expect them to extend a few of our young promising guys like Levitre, wood, Williams and Johnson. That would be money spent wisely.

I do not believe the info regarding us not signing top 70 FA is true.

I can't believe this thread as garnered so much attention. Do you guys believe the OP? I find it funny tbh.

While I can see us not signing clabo or any of the top tackles, boss/ miller/Lewis or any of the top tier guys on the tbd "wish list" so to speak, I don't think the gameplan is to NOT try and sign a top 70 player. We have 3 top 70 fa's and I expect to sign two of them, flo and Poz, unless they really wanna get outta buffalo. To fill the salary cap, I expect them to extend a few of our young promising guys like Levitre, wood, Williams and Johnson. That would be money spent wisely.

I do not believe the info regarding us not signing top 70 FA is true.

That's a bingo.

I would anticipate that they're going to go after guys they liked but may not be starters on other teams. They seem to LOVE trying to get the sleeper guys.

I am as big a fan of Nix and Gaily as anyone here but I would not agree with this philosophy ALL the time......

If you have an opportunity to get a fairly young, very productive, very consistant player that fits a need on the team and they are there for the having you have to make a run at them....It cannot ALL be done through the draft because by the time you have attempted to biuld the team the owner and fans are PO'd at the staff that was brought in to fix the ship and there is turnover.....creating a never ended solution to the problem......

I have agreed with every move that has been made so far with the exception of Cornell Green. When we didn't bring in a lot of free agents last year I agreed with that as well....but this is a little bit different situation......with the cap floor and players out there at definatly fit obvious needs......this is where you show the fan base that you care about winning.

Right Tackle was a absolute disaster last year.......we have not had a quality TE in years.......they are there....get one

I don't buy what Chris Brown says at this juncture.

I remember all the talk coming from Brown about the draft and its contrast with what transpired.

Besides, what does the top 60 FA mean in football speak? 21 position evaluation, ranked by depth? Or top 60 overall like the media usually handles it?

60 players in the largest free agent class in NFL history isn't that big of a deal.

The reason for that is they are 10 times cheaper, the result of that is the Buffalo Bills of the last decade.

I don't buy what Chris Brown says at this juncture.

I remember all the talk coming from Brown about the draft and its contrast with what transpired.

Besides, what does the top 60 FA mean in football speak? 21 position evaluation, ranked by depth? Or top 60 overall like the media usually handles it?

60 players in the largest free agent class in NFL history isn't that big of a deal.

Exactly. We don't know how well informed he is. I never heard this interview, he may have said don't expect them to go big because that it his assumption based on what he's seen over the past few years. Doesn't mean they'll go that route again.