Per Chris Brown - Bills won't target top 60 FAs

akm0404

This is why teams have a Pro Personnel Department. During the season they perform advance scouting duties among other things and evaluate every player in and out of the league during the off-season. You can be sure they've got their list and have checked it many times over.

So you think they make a list of the Top 100 Free agents then start making calls starting at say 70?

Yeah that makes perfect sense.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, let's not freak out just yet. As frustrated as I am, this is not the final word. We have no idea if whether that includes Poz and Florence so we can't freak out about that. I just cannot see them letting both of them go and refusing to go after any solid free agents. How do they expect to sell tickets for a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 11 years and seems as if they don't care? I know they're the Bills but we can't freak out just yet. be happy that the lockout is over and hope we can sign at least one starting level free agent.

Posluszny and Florence will most likely re-sign and I wouldn't be surprised to see Steve Johnson, Andy Levitre, and perhaps Kyle Williams eventually extended. Perhaps that's how they get to the cap floor by the end of the season.

Nix made a blunder last year when he arrogantly declared he was going to bed on the eve of free agency. He won't make that comment again, but the result appears to be the same: Buffalo on the outside looking in as other teams improve in UFA. Apparently the Bills will trust their 2010 draft class that couldn't get on the field, their 2011 rookies, and their veterans improving to be respectable in 2011. There just doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency to rebuild as quickly as possible. They don't need to spend like Washington stupidly does year in and year out, but 1-2 good free agents could expedite their rebuilding.

That is what gets me year in and out with the Bills - and it was something I really hoped would change with Nix and Gailey, that at least they'd make smarter aquisitions in FA. I don't have qualms about their drafting or UDFA aquisitions - in fact, I think the Bills are better there than a lot of teams. But, there is this unspoken attitude coming from the Bills Front Office that they aren't like the Dallas, the Washington, the Philly teams, that they can't spend like them - that is the first part, and the second part is that they don't have the same expectations as those teams. It's as if they concede that some teams are expected to be good year in and out, while the Bills can't be expected to be good year in and out - that somehow it is harder for them.

That is what really bothers me. Look at Green Bay. Look at Tampa Bay. Green Bay especially - they are loaded with talent and they are a small market team. Whatever is keeping the Bills from being good, it isn't the market they're in, and it isn't the Fan's support. And, they should be expected to win, and be as competitive as anyone else. If they can't spend as much on players as other teams, then they should spend more on coaching. Let's hope Nix and Gailey are finally the solution.

I don't get the philosophy, when you don't pay good players you end up overpaying mediocre players- I'd rather overpay a great player 3mil than overpay three mediocre players a mil each

Edited by ....lybob

That is what gets me year in and out with the Bills - and it was something I really hoped would change with Nix and Gailey, that at least they'd make smarter aquisitions in FA. I don't have qualms about their drafting or UDFA aquisitions - in fact, I think the Bills are better there than a lot of teams. But, there is this unspoken attitude coming from the Bills Front Office that they aren't like the Dallas, the Washington, the Philly teams, that they can't spend like them - that is the first part, and the second part is that they don't have the same expectations as those teams. It's as if they concede that some teams are expected to be good year in and out, while the Bills can't be expected to be good year in and out - that somehow it is harder for them.

That is what really bothers me. Look at Green Bay. Look at Tampa Bay. Green Bay especially - they are loaded with talent and they are a small market team. Whatever is keeping the Bills from being good, it isn't the market they're in, and it isn't the Fan's support. And, they should be expected to win, and be as competitive as anyone else. If they can't spend as much on players as other teams, then they should spend more on coaching. Let's hope Nix and Gailey are finally the solution.

I feel your pain, we all have to suffer through this. But I'm playing devils advocate here; Green Bay is good because they've drafted well. That's the truth. With the exception of Charles Woodson, that team was built through awesome drafting. I know I may sound as if I'm defending the Bills, but I'd rather them pay money for low risk, solid players than big priced free agents who may hurt us even more. Drafting well and spending smart wins championships.

I feel your pain, we all have to suffer through this. But I'm playing devils advocate here; Green Bay is good because they've drafted well. That's the truth. With the exception of Charles Woodson, that team was built through awesome drafting. I know I may sound as if I'm defending the Bills, but I'd rather them pay money for low risk, solid players than big priced free agents who may hurt us even more. Drafting well and spending smart wins championships.

There is a middle ground between Dan Snyder craziness an scrounging for scraps like an Dickensian orphan and Ralph needs to find it.

If the new CBA takes effect, all NFL teams have to spend to 99% of the cap. That makes Ralph as big a spender as anyone. Maybe they are shooting lower because they are going to sign more FA's?

Or maybe they'll just re-sign Jon Corto for 6 years, $42M. This team's management of the money it does have to spend is :wacko: .

Lets wait and see what they actually do before passing judgement?

Yeah, I guess so.... But I have every inkling that I've seen this movie before.

Namely, the organization trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh--, and then marketing it as chicken cordon bleu.

DO YOU SERIOUSLY THINK CHRIS BROWN IS REALLY GOING TO BE TOLD THE TRUTH BY THE FRONT OFFICE AS TO THEIR PLANS?

He's not as out of the loop as you might think. He's written things pre-draft the past couple of years that have turned out to be spot-on in hindsight. e.g. the selection of a "scatback" and this year that they'd be going heavy on defensive picks. Does the NFL's equivalent of the Kansas City Royals really need to play its cards close to the vest?

Edited by UConn James

Ya, let's not freak out just yet. As frustrated as I am, this is not the final word. We have no idea if whether that includes Poz and Florence so we can't freak out about that. I just cannot see them letting both of them go and refusing to go after any solid free agents. How do they expect to sell tickets for a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 11 years and seems as if they don't care? I know they're the Bills but we can't freak out just yet. be happy that the lockout is over and hope we can sign at least one starting level free agent.

but wouldn't it be nice one season for the press to be speculating that the bills were going after 2 or 3 top free agents with names attached rather than this. brown could well be wrong but would anyone here bet against him on an even odds bet?

Free agency and the team's lack of interest there is another reason why neither the GM nor HC jobs were attractive last time around. Then again, if they can become respectable and win 8 games in 2011 without spending big on free agents, kudos to them. If they don't, there will be a backlash, which started last season when ST sales dropped 20%.

It will all play out eventually.

Lets wait and see what they actually do before passing judgement?

What? And deprive the knitting group the opportunity to get their collective panties in a bunch?

GO BILLS!!!

According to Chris Brown on a Rochester radio show, the Bills are not expected to make any kind of splash in free agency and target any of the name players.

When asked, he indicated that fans should expect the Bills to add free agents in the neighborhood of the 70th to 100th best players available.

Looks like we are going to be forced into spending a bunch of that 40 million we are under the reported 2011 salary cap (3rd most estimated cap space in the league) on journeyman-caliber 10th best at their position available type guys. Exciting change from the status quo on this, the most wide open and exciting free agency period in league history.

Sorry guys, but Poz, Whitner, and Florence are gone (they'll have plenty of options) and our pipe dreams of Clabo, Bushrod, Tulloch, Miller/Boss etc. arent likely to come to fruition.

Predicting a spate of unknowns to sign here off other bad teams benches and practice squads. That is, if you believe Chris Brown.

Is anyone really surprised? It is the same old Bills and their cheap ass owner. Can't wait until there is a new owner, hopefully they will still be in Buffalo when there is, but at least they may try to win. The Sabres owner is going to make Ralphy even worse now.

If the new CBA takes effect, all NFL teams have to spend to 99% of the cap. That makes Ralph as big a spender as anyone. Maybe they are shooting lower because they are going to sign more FA's?

PTR

Not really, several teams will have to think to stay below the salary cap, the Bills will be one of those few teams that have to think to get above the salary basement.

According to Chris Brown on a Rochester radio show, the Bills are not expected to make any kind of splash in free agency and target any of the name players.

When asked, he indicated that fans should expect the Bills to add free agents in the neighborhood of the 70th to 100th best players available.

Looks like we are going to be forced into spending a bunch of that 40 million we are under the reported 2011 salary cap (3rd most estimated cap space in the league) on journeyman-caliber 10th best at their position available type guys. Exciting change from the status quo on this, the most wide open and exciting free agency period in league history.

Sorry guys, but Poz, Whitner, and Florence are gone (they'll have plenty of options) and our pipe dreams of Clabo, Bushrod, Tulloch, Miller/Boss etc. arent likely to come to fruition.

Predicting a spate of unknowns to sign here off other bad teams benches and practice squads. That is, if you believe Chris Brown.

AKM.....could you please link your source to that information? In what article does Chris Brown say this?