Per Chris Brown - Bills won't target top 60 FAs

akm0404

According to Chris Brown on a Rochester radio show, the Bills are not expected to make any kind of splash in free agency and target any of the name players.

When asked, he indicated that fans should expect the Bills to add free agents in the neighborhood of the 70th to 100th best players available.

Looks like we are going to be forced into spending a bunch of that 40 million we are under the reported 2011 salary cap (3rd most estimated cap space in the league) on journeyman-caliber 10th best at their position available type guys. Exciting change from the status quo on this, the most wide open and exciting free agency period in league history.

Sorry guys, but Poz, Whitner, and Florence are gone (they'll have plenty of options) and our pipe dreams of Clabo, Bushrod, Tulloch, Miller/Boss etc. arent likely to come to fruition.

Predicting a spate of unknowns to sign here off other bad teams benches and practice squads. That is, if you believe Chris Brown.

Edited by akm0404

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Chris Brown on a Rochester radio show, the Bills are not expected to make any kind of splash in free agency and target any of the name players.

When asked, he indicated that fans should expect the Bills to add free agents in the neighborhood of the 70th to 100th best players available.

Looks like we are going to be forced into spending a bunch of that 40 million we are under the reported 2011 salary cap (3rd most estimated cap space in the league) on journeyman-caliber 10th best at their position available type guys. Exciting change from the status quo on this, the most wide open and exciting free agency period in league history.

Sorry guys, but Poz, Whitner, and Florence are gone (they'll have plenty of options) and our pipe dreams of Clabo, Bushrod, Tulloch, Miller/Boss etc. arent likely to come to fruition.

Predicting a spate of unknowns to sign here off other bad teams benches and practice squads. That is, if you believe Chris Brown.

It likely means they plan on spending significant money on Poz and Florence, and expect to sign them. Whitner is probably gone. If either Poz or Flo are not signed, we will likely try to sign a higher level ILB and CB for the money they had slotted for those two, which will be significant. It also doesn't mean they are going to overspend on low tiered guys. They will sign them as cheaply or as costly as the market bears.

I would not read in to it too much - we have some big salaries to pay some of these guys if we want to keep them in B-Lo, and the truth is the FA market is not that great - yet. With the new contract coming maybe some things will change and I do not think this will hold neccessarily true, the whole 70-100 tier FA's.

This will not stop until Ralph has moved on, it's a joke on the fans of the Buffalo Bills 50 years running.

If the new CBA takes effect, all NFL teams have to spend to 99% of the cap. That makes Ralph as big a spender as anyone. Maybe they are shooting lower because they are going to sign more FA's?

PTR

Maybe they could emulate what they did in Marv Levy's first season and sign a dozen lower tier free agents who, against all odds, all sucked. Basically, two years later they were all gone. The only one who went on to be any good in the NFL was Andre Davis, who played well with Houston after leaving Buffalo.

If the new CBA takes effect, all NFL teams have to spend to 99% of the cap. That makes Ralph as big a spender as anyone. Maybe they are shooting lower because they are going to sign more FA's?

PTR

They could sign #70-100 with the money they need to spend.

This will not stop until Ralph has moved on, it's a joke on the fans of the Buffalo Bills 50 years running.

And pretty much like PTR said, and I am sure many would agre, who wants to see many of the same guys on the field that have been there for the last 3 or 4 seasons? I thought there was a lot of folks around here who said we need to get in new guys and get these "2nd stringers" out of here. Maybe that is the plan?

I do not think our team is full of second stringers, I see a lot of bad coaching and management that is being fixed.

I find it hard to believe that 1.) Chris Brown said "the Bills are targeting the 70th-100th best free agents"

Even if he did say that I doubt

2.) that the Bills rank all free agents in order.

Top 100 free agents is a term used by "media" and fantasy football.

Actuall football people are going to look at team needs and players that fit the team need. Not whether they should pick up the 69th or 70th "best free agent"

Do you have a link to the audio?

Edited by Why So Serious?

Gotta say this is depressing but not unexpected statements. Same old bills. I can't believe they are ruling out the top 60 players! That means they are saying well here are the best players available... we don't need them. We'll sell our fan base on midlevel guys that everyone will hope improves from their previous stats/skills.

I haven't gotten irritated once during the lockout knowing it would (more than likely) be done before anything would be missed. This however irks me quite a bit!

Gotta say this is depressing but not unexpected statements. Same old bills. I can't believe they are ruling out the top 60 players! That means they are saying well here are the best players available... we don't need them. We'll sell our fan base on midlevel guys that everyone will hope improves from their previous stats/skills.

I haven't gotten irritated once during the lockout knowing it would (more than likely) be done before anything would be missed. This however irks me quite a bit!

Why strive for success when failure equals more profit? Less outlay of cash = more for Ralph's till.

Edited by Scrappy

Posluszny and Florence will most likely re-sign and I wouldn't be surprised to see Steve Johnson, Andy Levitre, and perhaps Kyle Williams eventually extended. Perhaps that's how they get to the cap floor by the end of the season.

Nix made a blunder last year when he arrogantly declared he was going to bed on the eve of free agency. He won't make that comment again, but the result appears to be the same: Buffalo on the outside looking in as other teams improve in UFA. Apparently the Bills will trust their 2010 draft class that couldn't get on the field, their 2011 rookies, and their veterans improving to be respectable in 2011. There just doesn't seem to be a sense of urgency to rebuild as quickly as possible. They don't need to spend like Washington stupidly does year in and year out, but 1-2 good free agents could expedite their rebuilding.

I find it hard to believe that 1.) Chris Brown said "the Bills are targeting the 70th-100th best free agents"

Even if he did say that I doubt

2.) that the Bills rank all free agents in order.

Top 100 free agents is a term used by "media" and fantasy football.

Actuall football people are going to look at team needs and players that fit the team need. Not whether they should pick up the 69th or 70th "best free agent"

Do you have a link to the audio?

This is why teams have a Pro Personnel Department. During the season they perform advance scouting duties among other things and evaluate every player in and out of the league during the off-season. You can be sure they've got their list and have checked it many times over.

Blah, blah, blah. It would be fine if we had not heard this 4,364 times before; i.e. it's not a revelation. Why not just root for another team until Ralph passes or sells?

You choose to support this as well as I. You must be happy with the situation.