Per Chris Brown - Bills won't target top 60 FAs

akm0404

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also let me say this.....

Im not going to paint this team into a corner saying something like if Clabo and Zach Miller are not Bills this year then it is a failed offseason.....

Resign your own players MINUS that whiny Whitner

Get something that can hold their own at the RT spot....there are like FIVE guys that could do this

Get a athletic backup QB with experience

Get a TE that can block and catch......Speith would do fine thank you

agreed with this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bills don't sign any "real" talent. But that whole ranking of free agents is more media lingo than things you would hear from an nfl front office.

We don't have much longer to wait.

Agreed that the solid numbers are silly. The difference between 43 and 63 is largely based on need, scheme, positional value, etc..... 60-100 tells me starter but not perenial probowler. A guy that is likely the 2nd or 3rd best FA on his team, and like 4th to 5th best available at a premiere position (LT, CB, Pass rush) or 2-3 at a non premiere (TE, RT, ILB)

A 50 year track record is enough of a sample to not need to wait. We can accurately predict what RW has ordered his underlings to do without having to wait. The homers and RW apologists are forever optimistic (PTR etc) because they're blind and don't want to accept reality.

RW is the ultimate illusionist... Constantly doing the bare minimum to keep people interested while pocketing his $25-$30 million in profit yearly on a team he bought for $25k. He's made hundreds, yes hundreds, of millions by being lucky attached to a brand. That brand is the NFL.

Anyone who says this guy is a savor of we should be happy with having a team is lost. (0 years of losing and futility when we should have had a winner. The guy doesn't recognize that winning is will return more profit that his mediocrity.

I'll admit I'm hopIng for new owner or a relocation because this pathetic owner isnt worth the taxes I pay as an Erie county resident. Im a diehard fan but this ahole has the sweetest deal going... Have the hardworking taxpayers build him a stadium and operate And maintain it and have the league and the fans make him a future.

I ended my years as a season ticket holder 2 seasons ago. I refuse to support an owner who:

1) takes my tax dollars as profit

2) who took my season ticket money ad refused to spend it to build a team while simultaneously crying poor at the sAme time he is among the most profitable teams in the league

3) after 50 years and millions of dollars in taxpayer support refuses to ensure this te remains here.

He's the worst owner in the NFL bar none. And I andany of my friends refuse to support him anymore. Die And sell to the highest bidder with no certainty of stAying here is not fan or region friendly and I'm done supporting it.

Anyone who supports it out of fear of them leaving if you dont is only ensuring his profit while failing to recognize this team is going to be relocated if RW doesnt ensure it won't be. So youre wasting your money, the departure is inevitable.

But you still watch the games on TV, in a league where huge TV revenue deals (based on your viewership) line the pockets of the owners. You must be in your own personal hell... :nana:

Edited by stony

Wow. Four pages of hysteria. I really don't know the OP but IMO, these are by far the best posts in this thread:

I find it hard to believe that 1.) Chris Brown said "the Bills are targeting the 70th-100th best free agents"

Even if he did say that I doubt

2.) that the Bills rank all free agents in order.

Top 100 free agents is a term used by "media" and fantasy football.

Actuall football people are going to look at team needs and players that fit the team need. Not whether they should pick up the 69th or 70th "best free agent"

Do you have a link to the audio?

DO YOU SERIOUSLY THINK CHRIS BROWN IS REALLY GOING TO BE TOLD THE TRUTH BY THE FRONT OFFICE AS TO THEIR PLANS?

What show?

What station?

When?

Was Chris Browns statement simply an opinion, because it means nothing in that case.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Wow. Four pages of hysteria. I really don't know the OP but IMO, these are by far the best posts in this thread:

Yep.

Knit one, purl two. Knit one, purl two.

And so it goes.

GO BILLS!!!

No idea if this "quote" is true or not - link?

If it is though - Not going to read through 4 pages of "let's nail Ralph to the cross immediately," to see if it's been posted, but 32 teams in the league, if each team resigned their top 2 free agents (for us, Poz and Florence) that would be the top 64 already. Then it's time to start playing ball.

Maybe the thinking behind the "quote" that has us all up in arms, is that Nix doesn't want to get in a bidding war with the Snyders and the Jones for a top 5 player in the NFL, and spend all of our cap, and thus hasn't spent the entire offseason researching the top tier free agents... When he feels that the value will be in acquiring 5 players in the midrange, that he has researched extensively.

Sorry, OP, but I'm going to have to call bull-stojan on the suggestion the Bills' front office (a) told Chris freaking Brown their FA plans to any degree of specificity; and then (b) the same Mr. Brown spilled the beans on a Rochester radio call-in show.

I've still not read a single confirmation of the original post -- but it's nice to see everyone flying off the handle as usual. :lol:

I believe Walgreen's has a sale on razor blades in case anyone wants to cut their wrists now before the season begins, seeing how it's as good as flushed based on this statement. <_<

PTR

Old Man Wilson would have everyone climb the stairs and jump. Why waste good money on razor blades?

According to Chris Brown on a Rochester radio show, the Bills are not expected to make any kind of splash in free agency and target any of the name players.

When asked, he indicated that fans should expect the Bills to add free agents in the neighborhood of the 70th to 100th best players available.

Looks like we are going to be forced into spending a bunch of that 40 million we are under the reported 2011 salary cap (3rd most estimated cap space in the league) on journeyman-caliber 10th best at their position available type guys. Exciting change from the status quo on this, the most wide open and exciting free agency period in league history.

Sorry guys, but Poz, Whitner, and Florence are gone (they'll have plenty of options) and our pipe dreams of Clabo, Bushrod, Tulloch, Miller/Boss etc. arent likely to come to fruition.

Predicting a spate of unknowns to sign here off other bad teams benches and practice squads. That is, if you believe Chris Brown.

Good. Let the Andrew Luck competition begin. We need to go about 2-14 this year to get him. No free agents, plus a half a dozen key injuries and we are there. A good start. It would be a crying shame to go 6-10 and miss out on this kid. He will change the face of some franchise for 10 years.

Sorry, OP, but I'm going to have to call bull-stojan on the suggestion the Bills' front office (a) told Chris freaking Brown their FA plans to any degree of specificity; and then (b) the same Mr. Brown spilled the beans on a Rochester radio call-in show.

I've still not read a single confirmation of the original post -- but it's nice to see everyone flying off the handle as usual. :lol:

Ha! We're just preppin' for the real show -which hopefully begins in earnest VERY soon. Think about it, 131+ days of an NFL lockout has left very little topic substance around here. Many of our great posters have -wisely- chosen to just lurk @ the foolishness that has pervaded TSW.

But NOW, we're about to be thrown into a spin cycle worthy of Sears best washing machine -with resigning our own guys, milking the UDFA pool and UFA's. I'm pretty sure we only have 53 (+ or- ) players right now. We need 90 by Saturday and WE'LL BE PLAYING FOOTBALL IN 3 WEEKS!

I'm hoping Astrobot & his ilk are ready to produce solid player profiles of our nearly 40 new Bills -which will be pinned and we can all chime in with valid, football exchanges!

Whoo-Hoo!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last I am trying to remember that positions like ILB, RT and TE are three of the least sexy lowest ranking positions in a fan/sportscasters mind.

The above is VERY true. I would however like to add that imo, OT and TE are absolutely vital to the Bills if they are to contend. Weakness at these positions have been a constant throughout our playoff drought (except for Peters, who was of course traded). Even then we had no quality RT.

Boss blocks like an OT and is a clutch receiver. I can tell you that giant fans fear losing him. He is worth a TON of money to the Bills imo.

We didn't properly address the OL or TE positions in either of the Nix/Gailey drafts. I DO understand that you can't do it all at once, etc. The defense should be stronger now which is great, but this is a chance to get strong on the offensive front.

If we don't take advantage of this opportunity, I am wondering just how many games people expect the Bills to win this season.

The above is VERY true. I would however like to add that imo, OT and TE are absolutely vital to the Bills if they are to contend. Weakness at these positions have been a constant throughout our playoff drought (except for Peters, who was of course traded). Even then we had no quality RT.

Boss blocks like an OT and is a clutch receiver. I can tell you that giant fans fear losing him. He is worth a TON of money to the Bills imo.

We didn't properly address the OL or TE positions in either of the Nix/Gailey drafts. I DO understand that you can't do it all at once, etc. The defense should be stronger now which is great, but this is a chance to get strong on the offensive front.

If we don't take advantage of this opportunity, I am wondering just how many games people expect the Bills to win this season.

A half-dozen, +/- one or two. I agree there are some enticing opportunities out there at positions at least we, as fans, feel are weaknesses on the roster (RT, TE).

Greetings fellow Bills fans,

Didn't expect this would blow up but needed to add some requested follow up information. This interview with Chris Brown was on the John DiTullio Show on 1280 WHTK on perhaps Thursday evening. Just caught it on my evening commute. May have been Friday. I don't have a link to audio - not sure it exists but that wasn't even the point of my OP.

I paraphrased Brown obviously since this goes off my memory, but he definitely said don't expect the Bills to go after any of the top 60 free agents and fans should temper their expectations and look toward the second and third tier guys in the 70-100 range to fill out the roster. He was basically responding to a question of whether the Bills would make a splash and bring in name guys.

Obviously Brown isn't a part of the Bills war room and is just speculating with educated guessing based on his knowledge of the team and staff. He mentioned again that Nix was a build through the draft guy, using that as support for his hypothesis that the Bills will not sign players that you've heard of/want.

I don't think this is really going out on a limb though, despite 90% of the free agency threads that talk about how the Bills should "go out and get Poz, Clabo, Miller" even though there is zero chance of that happening.

Sad, but probably close to the truth. For the first time in many years, if they added a Clabo and a Miller/Boss to the team and kept Poz and Florence, fans could actually have hopes of rooting for a legitimate competitive team without being completely delusional. Back to the reality of the Wilson money first/pride last nightmare after the lockout ends. At least we have the Sabres.

well, i haven't gone through all the posts here but i can imagine what was said...same old cheap ralphie. I would rather see this team bottom out again and get a shot at Luck, USC kid or the oklahoma kid. We need to knock a couple more picks out of the park and this team could be good for a decade or more with the right moves. The only moves right now would be short term and not great for the a long haul imo.