would you want carson palmer for a mid round pick?

Don't want palmer we got fitz.

Absolutely Yes....Palmer is way better than Fitz. Palmer is a pretty accurate QB and does not make many mistakes. Without superstar divas, Palmer may actually play pretty well here in Buffalo. The question is: Does he want to come to Buffalo?

:wacko:

So Palmer lost the starting job to Fitzpatrick in Cincinnati, never fully regained his old form after the torn tendon/ligament in 2008, sucked last season, but now should come to the Bills and replace Fitz?

(And the Bills should give up a 3rd round pick for this guy that has stated he wants to retire???)

Oh...OK...I get it now...this is one of those comic threads you see so much of in the offseason! :doh:

Edited by The Senator

Nope. The Bills are building a young team and Fitz is part of that and from what I can tell, is seen as a leader by his teammates.

It's one thing to draft a QB of the future next year, but to bring in an aging vet on the downside of his career to get a marginal boost in talent isn't worth the cost in the locker room.

is it worth it giving up a mid round pick for a guy that would probably only play in Buffalo one year?

why cant people accept the fact that Fitz is the Bills starting QB next year

So Palmer lost the starting job to Fitzpatrick in Cincinnati, never fully regained his old form after the torn tendon/ligament in 2008, sucked last season, but now should come to the Bills and replace Fitz?

(And the Bills should give up a 3rd round pick for this guy that has stated he wants to retire???)

Oh...OK...I get it now...this is one of those comic threads you see so much of in the offseason! :doh:

Palmer never "lost the starting job to Fitz" he got injured. Big difference.

Palmer sucked last season? He threw for almost 4000 yards and 26 TD's...Far better than any Bill in a long time (I don't think any Bill has ever thrown for that many yards and TD's in the same season actually)...And you can't use TO as an excuse, the Bills had him the prior year...

As a matter of fact, Palmer averages 4000 yards and 26 TD's per season when he's been healthy, on a consistently bad team. The Bengals are a poorly coached team with some big names but a lack of overall talent.

If you are going to quote someone don't do it out of context. He said he'd consider retiring IF the Bengals don't let him go. An obvious bluff.

I am not saying Palmer is a great QB, or would be that big of an improvement over Fitz...But those statements were a little off.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

(=

Probably not. If we were even a decent team, that adding a veteran quarterback might propel us into contention it may be a good idea. We are nowhere close to contending yet, so all bringing someone like Carson in would do is delay grooming a young quarterback to be the future of this franchise (if we ever get one) by the time we are competitive.

Palmer never "lost the starting job to Fitz" he got injured. Big difference.

Palmer sucked last season? He threw for almost 4000 yards and 26 TD's...Far better than any Bill in a long time...And you can't use TO as an excuse, the Bills had him the prior year...

As a matter of fact, Palmer averages 4000 yards and 26 TD's per season when he's been healthy, on a consistently bad team. The Bengals are a poorly coached team with some big names but a lack of overall talent.

If you are going to quote someone don't do it out of context. He said he'd consider retiring IF the Bengals don't let him go. An obvious bluff.

I am not saying Palmer is a great QB, or would be that big of an improvement over Fitz...But those statements were a little off.

:oops:

I stand corrected!

I shouldn't have said Palmer sucked. I should have said his 2010 stats (16 games/3970 yards/26 TDs/20 INTs/82.4 rating) were no more impressive than Fitz (13 games/300 yards/23 TDs/15 INTs/81.8 rating) put up with a tougher schedule, a 'lesser' receivers corps, and being thrown into the starting role 3 games into the season after Chan Gailey's Trent Edwards fiasco.

Palmer has stated that, "I will never set foot in Paul Brown Stadium again"; "I have $80 million in the bank. I don't have to play football for money. I'll play it for the love of the game, but that would have to be elsewhere."

Palmer has also told Begals coach Marvin Lewis that he plans to retire. (Marv Levy once noted that when a player starts thinking about retirement he already has retired.)

For all those reasons (and throw in the 'He's from SoCal' thing too) I just don't think Palmer's a good fit here.

(Therefore, he'll probably be wearing a Bills uniform this Fall! :beer: )

Edited by The Senator

Probably not. If we were even a decent team, that adding a veteran quarterback might propel us into contention it may be a good idea. We are nowhere close to contending yet, so all bringing someone like Carson in would do is delay grooming a young quarterback to be the future of this franchise (if we ever get one) by the time we are competitive.

True. The Bill's all ready know they are not going to get that 10 year QB of the future, this year. What they do need is someone to back up Fitz, this year. They simply can not go into the season with Levi Brown as the only back up. They will target someone with either more experience such as Palmer or try to find a young guy that has great potential.

The thing is, I do not see the Bills giving up a draft pick for an older, stop gap QB. I think the Bills value their draft picks and will likely go after someone that doesn't require losing a draft pick first. If they can't find someone suitable, they may have no choice. If that is the case, they will go after a quality starter because you don't give up a draft pick for just so so player. It is hard to imagine things coming to giving up a draft pick though.

As for Palmer, it is very unlikely that he will actually be available in the first place

No. 1) Palmer wants to start, not be a back up. 2) As a starter he would be no better than Fitz who the other Bills respect and follow. 3) There are adequate backups available in free agency that won't cost us draft picks. 4) Drew Bledsoe.

PTR

:oops:

I stand corrected!

I shouldn't have said Palmer sucked. I should have said his 2010 stats (16 games/3970 yards/26 TDs/20 INTs/82.4 rating) were no more impressive than Fitz (13 games/300 yards/23 TDs/15 INTs/81.8 rating) put up with a tougher schedule, a 'lesser' receivers corps, and being thrown into the starting role 3 games into the season after Chan Gailey's Trent Edwards fiasco.

Palmer has stated that, "I will never set foot in Paul Brown Stadium again"; "I have $80 million in the bank. I don't have to play football for money. I'll play it for the love of the game, but that would have to be elsewhere."

Palmer has also told Begals coach Marvin Lewis that he plans to retire. (Marv Levy once noted that when a player starts thinking about retirement he already has retired.)

For all those reasons (and throw in the 'He's from SoCal' thing too) I just don't think Palmer's a good fit here.

(Therefore, he'll probably be wearing a Bills uniform this Fall! :beer: )

I can agree with that statement regarding his 2010 season, and for the record I don't think Palmer would be a big improvement over Fitz.

But again, while those quotes are accurate, theretirement thing is completely out of context. If you followed that situation or read ANY of the articles on the matter, he was clearly threatening to retire after the Bengals stated they would not let him go. No one involved actually believed or believes he will really retire.

Heh. Just another desperate vote of no confidence in Fitz. Let the guy play a freakin season going in as the starter. He has been the best Bills QB since Jim Kelly and the one year Bledsoe did well for us with a highly ranked defense.

I don't know why people are so quick to want to throw out any BS at QB as long as it isn't Fitz. Give the guy a freakin shot. Maybe we should be giving up a mid round pick for a freakin RT, LT, RG or a run stopping/pass rushing OLB.

What a waste of resources.

I can agree with that statement regarding his 2010 season, and for the record I don't think Palmer would be a big improvement over Fitz.

But again, while those quotes are accurate, theretirement thing is completely out of context. If you followed that situation or read ANY of the articles on the matter, he was clearly threatening to retire after the Bengals stated they would not let him go. No one involved actually believed or believes he will really retire.

Well, Mike Brown did draft Andy Dalton with the #35 overall pick - so Brown might be a 'believer' in the retirement threats.

In any case, given the rancor that exists between Palmer and the Bengals - along with their nabbing Dalton in the draft, it does appear that Palmer is done in Cincinnati. If that's the case, why offer a mid-round pick for the guy? Wouldn't most teams just wait for him to be released? (Kind of like everyone did when it was obvious the Bills were done with Bledsoe?)

(=

NO!!!!... but I would want a LT or a RT or RG or a OLB for a mid round pick. If we are willing to give up a mid round pick to get somebody why not use it to fill a position of need instead of back hand bashing Fitz?

NO!!!!... but I would want a LT or a RT or RG or a OLB for a mid round pick. If we are willing to give up a mid round pick to get somebody why not use it to fill a position of need instead of back hand bashing Fitz?

Now that makes good sense.

How 'bout we just grab Giants' FA OG/OT Kevin Boothe to fill a need, add some OL depth, and to...

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!! B-)

Heh. Just another desperate vote of no confidence in Fitz. Let the guy play a freakin season going in as the starter. He has been the best Bills QB since Jim Kelly and the one year Bledsoe did well for us with a highly ranked defense.

I don't know why people are so quick to want to throw out any BS at QB as long as it isn't Fitz. Give the guy a freakin shot. Maybe we should be giving up a mid round pick for a freakin RT, LT, RG or a run stopping/pass rushing OLB.

What a waste of resources.

Yeah, but some writer desperate for a story in a time of no news compiled some questionable data to find a situational statistic that projects Fitz in an unfavorable light. Therefore, Fitz sucks, we need whoever else.

Carson Palmer > Ryan Fitzpatrick.

There is a reason that Fitz was a Backup to Palmer. Just look at the stats Palmer is a concsistent 20+TD a year QB.

Palmer 86.9 QB Rating Fitz 70 carrer.

He would be an upgrade over Fitz. I dont know how people would not be chomping at the bit if we were able to get a probowl QB for a 3rd rd Pick?

You saw what Gailey could do with Fitz, Imagine what he could do with palmer.

Well, Mike Brown did draft Andy Dalton with the #35 overall pick - so Brown might be a 'believer' in the retirement threats.

In any case, given the rancor that exists between Palmer and the Bengals - along with their nabbing Dalton in the draft, it does appear that Palmer is done in Cincinnati. If that's the case, why offer a mid-round pick for the guy? Wouldn't most teams just wait for him to be released? (Kind of like everyone did when it was obvious the Bills were done with Bledsoe?)

Yup, clearly the Bengals are planning for post Palmer life (I was happy the Bills passed on Dalton..., as well as all the other QB's in this draft).

I do agree with you though. Fitz played well enough last year, especially compared to who we've had before him recently. The Bills should still be thinking young "franchise" QB for the future, but on a team with low expectations there is no reason to trade picks for minor short term improvement.

Now that makes good sense.

How 'bout we just grab Giants' FA OG/OT Kevin Boothe to fill a need, add some OL depth, and to...

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!! B-)

Yeah, if we are giving up picks we need to add to the O line big time. We can get Jackson from the Vikings (I think he's a free agent) or perhaps Dennis Dixon from the Steelers, or Leftwich, or Charlie Batch to backup Fitz. All serve what the Bills are looking for: someone who won't challange Fitz, but could step in if Fitz gets injured and handle playing in the NFL with some degree of competency. (depending on the player we get).

Carson Palmer > Ryan Fitzpatrick.

There is a reason that Fitz was a Backup to Palmer. Just look at the stats Palmer is a concsistent 20+TD a year QB.

Palmer 86.9 QB Rating Fitz 70 carrer.

He would be an upgrade over Fitz. I dont know how people would not be chomping at the bit if we were able to get a probowl QB for a 3rd rd Pick?

You saw what Gailey could do with Fitz, Imagine what he could do with palmer.

He will be awesome for us in retirement :rolleyes:

A few years ago I would have been all for it but do we really need a guy they say this about:

"According to NFL Films guru Greg Cosell, Carson Palmer's arm strength has clearly decreased on tape since his 2008 elbow injury.

"Not the same passer he was," Cosell says. "Can't drive the ball and make stick throws." Palmer's passes have been fluttering since he tore ligaments and tendons in his throwing arm three years ago. Cosell would've ranked Palmer behind only Peyton Manning and Tom Brady from 2005-2007. If owner Mike Brown were smart, he'd sell high on Palmer while it's still possible. "

Edited by PDaDdy

NO WAY !!!!

along with losing the 3rd round pick...you inherit a gawdy contract of:

12/29/2005: Signed a six-year, $118.75 million contract extension through 2014. The deal included a $15 million signing bonus and a third-year option bonus of $9 million. 2011-2012: $11.5 million, 2013: $13 million, 2014: $14 million, 2015: Free Agent

i don't see Palmer accepting anything but STARTER.

OK, everyone. There is something that must be said. How well Fitz did last year is 100% irrelevant to who we should pick up in free agency. We only have 2 QBs on this team and need one or two more. While looking for a QB, we do not look for depth by assuring that that person is not going to push for the starting job. We look for depth by getting the best player available. The idea is to improve the team and not waste time on sub par talent. I want to see Fitz take us to the playoffs as much as any. I like Fitz as much as any, but I do not want us to go into this season with only one viable candidate to lead this team at the QB position. Just stop the worrying over a QB controversy. That is simply a non-factor. We need someone in case Fitz goes down with an injury.

Sorry for the rant. Just getting annoyed with people criticizing every possible FA QB because they don't want anyone but Fitz. We need additional depth at this position dammit!!!

I would say no to trading for Palmer for a few reasons:

1.) He is not a long term solution to our QB situation. Even if he did not have diminished skills due to injury, he is at the end of the career agewise.

2.) He is shot. He is not the same since the injuries

3.) He would not want to come here anyway

4.) Would not want to give up a draft pick to get him

5.) Ridiculously high salary would be wasted money.

OK, everyone. There is something that must be said. How well Fitz did last year is 100% irrelevant to who we should pick up in free agency. We only have 2 QBs on this team and need one or two more. While looking for a QB, we do not look for depth by assuring that that person is not going to push for the starting job. We look for depth by getting the best player available. The idea is to improve the team and not waste time on sub par talent. I want to see Fitz take us to the playoffs as much as any. I like Fitz as much as any, but I do not want us to go into this season with only one viable candidate to lead this team at the QB position. Just stop the worrying over a QB controversy. That is simply a non-factor. We need someone in case Fitz goes down with an injury.

Sorry for the rant. Just getting annoyed with people criticizing every possible FA QB because they don't want anyone but Fitz. We need additional depth at this position dammit!!!

We should get the best free agent QB that we don't have to give up any picks or players for!!!! QB is lower on our list of needs than OL and LB help. If we are going to give up anything or absorb enormous contracts it should be to fill positions of greater need.

Edited by PDaDdy

Yeah, if we are giving up picks we need to add to the O line big time. We can get Jackson from the Vikings (I think he's a free agent) or perhaps Dennis Dixon from the Steelers, or Leftwich, or Charlie Batch to backup Fitz. All serve what the Bills are looking for: someone who won't challange Fitz, but could step in if Fitz gets injured and handle playing in the NFL with some degree of competency. (depending on the player we get).

This is not a knock on you Ryan, but people here decide that they dont want 1 year wonders coming out of college. How is Fitz any different?

He has played 1 Average, not even great, but average season his entire career and people are already declaring him starter and that he can lead us to the playoffs?

I hope im wrong and he comes back and plays lights out, but I just dont see it based on his career numbers. This is very similar to Derek Anderson, whos number are very similar to Fitz's numbers.

I want someone who has proven they can win in this league and have done it before. IMO Palmer is one of those guys.

C'mon!!!!

Really...a 3rd round pick for Carson Palmer?

Bulger, Volek, Leftwich....someone with NFL game experience who can step in for Fitz in a pinch. There is absolutely no reason for a young, rebuilding team to let go of valuable draft picks to obtain a QB who is on the downside of his career. Bring in a veteran free agent, sign an undrafted FA QB (Pat Devlin, Adam Weber), and then draft a QB early next year.

We should get the best free agent QB that we don't have to give up any picks or players for!!!! QB is lower on our list of needs than OL and LB help. If we are going to give up anything or absorb enormous contracts it should be to fill positions of greater need.

I've all ready said that the Bill's probably won't want to give up draft picks, especially for someone as old as Palmer. That wasn't what I was driving at anyway. The thing that I was getting at, is that we still need depth at QB. Something a lot of people are simply writing off completely, simply because we have Fitz. That's crazy. You don't go into the season with just 2 QBs, period. Especially when the one back up we have is Levi. This is a huge priority.

As for Palmer, I am not necessarily condoning that. He is just one of many options.

Edited by Rockinon

I've all ready said that the Bill's probably won't want to give up draft picks, especially for someone as old as Palmer. That wasn't what I was driving at anyway. The thing that I was getting at, is that we still need depth at QB. Something a lot of people are simply writing off completely, simply because we have Fitz. That's crazy. You don't go into the season with just 2 QBs, period. Especially when the one back up we have is Levi. This is a huge priority.

As for Palmer, I am not necessarily condoning that. He is just one of many options.

Agreed completely that we need to bring in more QBs. Luckily, Buddy agrees too as he has said they will go into camp with 4 QBs.

But I cant agree with Carson Palmer being one of those QBs. Unless he wants to take a HUGE paycut, and sit behind his former backup (who is playing at a much higher level currently).

I dont think the Bills see Palmer as an option. Nor do I think Palmer sees the Bills as an option.

This is not a knock on you Ryan, but people here decide that they dont want 1 year wonders coming out of college. How is Fitz any different?

He has played 1 Average, not even great, but average season his entire career and people are already declaring him starter and that he can lead us to the playoffs?

I hope im wrong and he comes back and plays lights out, but I just dont see it based on his career numbers. This is very similar to Derek Anderson, whos number are very similar to Fitz's numbers.

I want someone who has proven they can win in this league and have done it before. IMO Palmer is one of those guys.

Actually, the head coach is endorsing Fitz, the general manager and the players around him too. Why wouldn't a fan as well? Not so far fetched as some make it out to be. I don't know about Palmer. The FO must really like him to go after him, but he would first have to actually become available(not very freaking likely) and they would also be willing to give up pick(also not very freaking likely).

But I cant agree with Carson Palmer being one of those QBs. Unless he wants to take a HUGE paycut, and sit behind his former backup (who is playing at a much higher level currently).

That's the key, the Bills probably wouldn't consider picking him up at his current contract (I hope). If he were to be let go by Cincy, that contract is out the window and he is a FA. If he didn't draw much interest MAYBE the Bills could consider it.

For those who are saying "Palmer sucks", "he's shot", "Can't play since injuries"...I guess you haven't actually watched him play. Like him or not, the guy is good, and was good LAST YEAR. Just because the Bengals suck, doesn't mean he does. Is he Peyton Manning? No way. Is he better than any QB the Bills have had since Jim Kelly by a wide margin? YES, including Fitz.

The guy averages 4k yards per season and 26 TD's when healthy, which is what he did last year (Healthy). I think the Bill's should look for a younger, longer term prospect personally, but give the guy some credit. He's accomplished a lot playing on one of the all time worst franchises.

T