Would You Take 8-8 or 3-13 and the #1 Pick in '12?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geesh Joe. I thought you had better character than that. Wheres the Senator when you need him.

16-0 or don't bother playing on my team.

The Senator gave up TSW for Lent!

I actually stayed away from 'the board' from Fat Tuesday thru Day One of the draft, mainly because of threads like this one. No one really has much of anything to talk about unless/until something happens with the CBA and we know what's going on w/free agency, draftee contracts, OTAs, rookie mini-camps, etc.

So, given a complete lack of anything interesting to discuss, we see a bunch of absolutely retarded threads like, "What would you give up to get Andy Luck in 2012?" or "How bad will the Bills suck this season?"

(While we're at it, why don't we just decide right now which coaches we need to fire for their dismal performance in the season that hasn't begun? :rolleyes: )

IMO, it's asinine to talk about who we should want/take in the 2012 draft the day after the 2011 draft just ended, or what our W-L record will be before a single down is played or we even get a look at the Bills' final roster (along with the rosters of our opponents).

That said, I will offer my own succinct thoughts on the 2011 Buffalo Bills season...

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

'Fear the 'stache'!!!!! :beer:

post-2970-016455400 1304772718_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

Despite getting good reviews on their draft, I have heard or read at least a couple of places (SI, Kiper) that expect the Bills to have the #1 pick next year. So, as a Bills fan, what would you rather see happen in 2011:

A. The Bills show good progress and finish 8-8 or a Jauron-esque 7-9, showing solid progress on both sides of the ball.

B. They go 3-13 and end up with the #1 pick in the draft.

There are a couple of other interesting scenarios that could develop. A year ago, Jake Locker seemed like a lock for the #1 overall pick (and Ryan Mallett was talked about being right there with him). So now Andrew Luck loses his head coach, what if he has a down year and talk about him being a "system QB" surfaces?

The other thing is that people are already talking about Luck, Matt Barkley and Landry Jones as top 10 picks. Does that bode well for the Bills?

I know there's free agency and a small detail called a labor agreement to get ironed out but what should we be hoping for?

There are three scenarios that will play out next year...

Scenario #1: The best scenario is that Fitzpatrick throws for over 30 TDs while leading the team to a winning record and a possible playoff birth. Fitzpatrick establishes himself "top 8" franchise type QB in the league. Someone who was just a late bloomer and who has everything you need in a QB who can win you a championship or two.

Scenario #2: The team finishes with a 7 or 8 win season with Fitzpatrick having a decent season with over 20 TDs, but he doesn't solidify franchise QB status.

Scenario #3: The team finishes with a 4 to 6 win season and Fitzpatrick has proven himself as not being the QB who will lead this team to future glory.

Scenario #1 would be awesome and is something I still consider a serious possibility.

Scenarios #2 or #3 will mean the Bills are most probably selecting a QB with their first pick in the 2012 draft.

With apologies to the OP, I HATE discussions like this (I know, then why bother reading and participating...). It's just not in my "fan DNA" to do anything other than root for wins. That's why the game is played. "Moral victories" are great when you're talking about little league.

8 wins > 3 wins. Screw the first pick.

Edited by eball

The "experts" picking Buffalo last are doing it out of habit. If you asked them to predict who picks #1 the next ten years they'd all say Buffalo.

If you want this team to get good then wishing for the top pick is the wrong way to do it. You have to learn how to win in the NFL.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

We need WINS!!!!!!! I say 8-8 or better. I'm not so hung up on a QB until we see what Chan can do with Levi. That kid has a strong arm & a lot of potential.

So we shouldnt draft a qb until Levi gets some games started under his belt?

I don't root for the Bills to lose, but I do root for other "contenders" for the first pick to win. If you ever watched Carolina last year it's hard to see them winning 3 games next year. I don't think 3 wins is going to get it.

The Bills should show some improvement, although the schedule is going to be tough and they're going to have to play a lot of young players. They should win at least 2 more than this year. I can't see them getting the first pick.

first of all, its more likely to take two wins to get the top pick. at three youre probably competing with other teams with three wins then its pretty much a coin flip

if given the choice only btwn eight wins and three/two wins id probably take the three. ive lived through enough eight win seasons and to me they arent much better than three win ones. id rather have the high picks

fortunately i see these bills as being one of the big surprise teams this year and challenging for a playoff spot late into the season. with our luck that probably means 9-5 until the last two weeks then losing both to lose out on a wc by a tiebreaker. but still i expect huge improvement, which i will take over a top pick any day

#1- +25 year, 4 seat season ticket fan here.....

#2- i'll take whats behind door #1 Pick.....I WANT A FRANCHISE QB !!!!!!......if it takes one more crap season...i'm down with that.....last years 8-8 teams picked 16th & 17th....once i have my franchise QB, then i'd rather be 8-8.

besides, i don't think we improved much, so unless we strike it rich in Free Agency, i think we still will pick in top 5 next year (looks like 3 franchise QB's coming out next year).....this years Top 3 draft picks essentially replaced 3 decent players in Stroud, Whitner and Poz.....thats not "improving" to me....it's treading water and starting over younger.

If there is no football this year, (lets hope there is) but lets say there isn't going to be any football this year. Isn't the draft order the same as 2011? If so I wouldn't mind that because, Carolina already has there QB of the future, Denver would probably want some more D and they still have Tebow (and even if they didn't want Tebow) we would have Barkley or Luck sitting right there for us. But I say lets play some football. I am always for showing improvement. You play to win the game..

If they dont play, theres no plan in place, and frankly, at that point I think the draft will be done for or radically different,

first of all, its more likely to take two wins to get the top pick. at three youre probably competing with other teams with three wins then its pretty much a coin flip

if given the choice only btwn eight wins and three/two wins id probably take the three. ive lived through enough eight win seasons and to me they arent much better than three win ones. id rather have the high picks

fortunately i see these bills as being one of the big surprise teams this year and challenging for a playoff spot late into the season. with our luck that probably means 9-5 until the last two weeks then losing both to lose out on a wc by a tiebreaker. but still i expect huge improvement, which i will take over a top pick any day

Now I know why they call you Meathead.

We can show great promise and still go 3-13. This team is bad, We lost ugly and won ugly last year. If we lose well this year we can make progress, get Luck and go from there.

I think we have "lose well" down pretty well by now!

We have not seen 8-8 since Wade left. For me, 8-8 would be unacceptable and the Team should feel AND play the same way.

To me a real fan never wants to watch his team lose. No contest

No fan should ever want their team to go backwards just to get a speculated draft pick who might never make it in the pro's.

Buddy and Chan are developing a nasty, character based team and losing more games would be a major step backward in the young players' development. So, there is no way I'd every hope for a losing season ... if I wanted the Bills to be perennial losers (like they were for the first decade of this century) then I'd be a Dolphins, Jets, or Patriots fan.

True Bills' fans want their team to win as many games as possible and at the end of the season let the results have whatever impact they might but to sit here in May and say you want them to win only 3 games ... you are not a fan!

People act like there are only 5 good players in every draft. Thats like saying only 1% of college graduates are worthy of having a job. Cmon people.

I expect this team to compete for the Super Bowl every season. Anything less is a disrespect to the fans and the competitive nature of the game

I think we have "lose well" down pretty well by now!

We have not seen 8-8 since Wade left. For me, 8-8 would be unacceptable and the Team should feel AND play the same way.

Not to nitpick but we did go 9-7 in 2004