Pegula has "started ball rolling on Bills purchase"

Beerball

I hate to be a buzz kill, because this would be great, but the NFL would not allow it, as I understand it. This is what the hold up is with Jeremy Jacobs (link: http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2007/07/02/story2.html). I think something run by Golisano, Danny Wegman, or the hall of fame ownership group (Kelly, Talley, Tasker, etc...) is much more likely.

I hate to be a buzz kill, because this would be great, but the NFL would not allow it, as I understand it. This is what the hold up is with Jeremy Jacobs (link: http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2007/07/02/story2.html). I think something run by Golisano, Danny Wegman, or the hall of fame ownership group (Kelly, Talley, Tasker, etc...) is much more likely.

as the article states you can own the two franchises if they are in the same city. the article states that golly(then the owner of the sabres) could be the owner of the bills.

I'm hearing that Pegula's son played for a hockey league in Olean. Any truth to that??? If true I didn't realize this guy had ties to Western NY... Anyway I hope he is intrested.

:thumbsup:

His wife is from Rochester and they lived in Orchard Park and Olean for several years.

You can own an NFL team in the same city where you own another professional sport's team, or a city that doesn't have an NFL team. Jacobs owns the Bruins, which is Boston, so he can't own the Bills (he could own the Patriots), but Pegula can own the Buffalo Bills and Sabres.

The NFL would love another deep-pocketed owner like Peluga in the league. Especially in Buffalo. And since he owns another pro sports franchise in the same city, he is eligible to own the Bills. A previous thread indicated he would be the 3rd wealthiest owner in the NFL if he did buy a team. Not too shabby.

GO BILLS!!!

You're incorrect here. Jacobs can't buy the team because he owns the Bruins in Boston. However, the NFL permits an owner to own multiple sports franchises if, and only if, they are located in the same city. Pegula would not be banned from buying the Bills according to NFL rules...

I don't have a link on this, but I've read it from several times from reputable sports journalists...

Incorrect. You can own two franchises as long as they are in the same city.

I hope it's true but this article doesn't really say a helluva lot and seems more like speculation than fact, IMHO.

It doesn't say enough to even be called speculation.

Folks, nothing will happen until after Mr. Wilson passes (which I personally hope is a very long time from now).

Any talk of who is lining up to buy, or backing Kelly, or any other wild ass speculation is nothing more than mental masturbation.

as the article states you can own the two franchises if they are in the same city. the article states that golly(then the owner of the sabres) could be the owner of the bills.

Someone will have to do their homework because I know Paul Allen owns both the Portland Trailblazers and the Seattle Seahawks.

Someone will have to do their homework because I know Paul Allen owns both the Portland Trailblazers and the Seattle Seahawks.

For the 700th time......An NFL owner can own any franchise in any city as long as it doesn't compete with another NFL team. Exception being the same city as your NFL team.

PTR

I personally have no qualms about masturbation.

It doesn't say enough to even be called speculation.

Folks, nothing will happen until after Mr. Wilson passes (which I personally hope is a very long time from now).

Any talk of who is lining up to buy, or backing Kelly, or any other wild ass speculation is nothing more than mental masturbation.

I'm very late to this game, but where did Pegula's money come from? What's his background other than being a local? (I'm just curious)

Made his billions in the natural gas industry...grew up in Pennsylvania, very working class backround. From what I understand, his company was the most valuable independently owned company in the US, when he sold it to Shell, last year, for 4 billion dollars. He is not popular amongst enviormentalists.

His WNY connections didn't come into play until (I believe) the mid-70's when he moved to Olean...later lived in Orchard Park, was a Sabres season ticket holder for 18 years. His wife is from Rochester.

Pegula did deny having interest in the Bills, at his introductory PC as the Sabres owner. However, prior to his official purchase of the club, an interview with one of Pegulas business associates seemed to indicate that Pegula would "absolutely" have interest in the Bills, should they become available.

Pessimists are taking Pegulas on his word that he has no interest...optimists are pointing out that it would be sort of crude for Pegula to be making statements on his interest in the Bills, unless Ralph Wilson went public, saying that the team was up for sale. We all know, Ralph Wilson will own the Bills until he passes away...it would be takcy for Pegula (or anyone) to be openly pining for the day that he can own the Bills, when it means the death of its' current owner.

While the story linked here doesn't seem to be much of anything, I think it is kind of logical to assume that Pegula would be interested in the Bills.

From the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/feb/17/ap-source-pegula-set-to-take-over-sabres/#

Edited by Buftex

Made his billions in the natural gas industry...grew up in Pennsylvania, very working class backround. From what I understand, his company was the most valuable independently owned company in the US, when he sold it...2004 I think, for 4 billion dollars. He is not popular amongst enviormentalists.

His WNY connections didn't come into play until (I believe) the mid-70's when he moved to Olean...later lived in Orchard Park, was a Sabres season ticket holder for 18 years. His wife is from Rochester.

Pegula did deny having interest in the Bills, at his introductory PC as the Sabres owner. However, prior to his official purchase of the club, an interview with one of Pegulas business associates seemed to indicate that Pegula would "absolutely" have interest in the Bills, should they become available.

Pessimists are taking Pegulas on his word that he has no interest...optimists are pointing out that it would be sort of crude for Pegula to be making statements on his interest in the Bills, unless Ralph Wilson went public, saying that the team was up for sale. We all know, Ralph Wilson will own the Bills until he passes away...it would be takcy for Pegula (or anyone) to be openly pining for the day that he can own the Bills, when it means the death of its' current owner.

While the story linked here doesn't seem to be much of anything, I think it is kind of logical to assume that Pegula would be interested in the Bills.

Thanks! Appreciate the recap! :beer:

Paul Allen owns the Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trailblazers...different states.

Allen was allowed to buy the team despite owning the NBA's Trail Blazers since Portland, Oregon doesn't have an NFL team. (NFL rules prohibit team owners from either outright ownership or a majority share of another sports team outside its home market if they play in the same city as another NFL team

Allen was allowed to buy the team despite owning the NBA's Trail Blazers since Portland, Oregon doesn't have an NFL team. (NFL rules prohibit team owners from either outright ownership or a majority share of another sports team outside its home market if they play in the same city as another NFL team

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: