only 4 QBs

There are only four QBs in the draft that are worth drafting, all others are a complete waste of time:

1. Colin Kaepernick, Is the most raw but the best upside, looked good in the games I saw rocket arm, wheels, stays calm under pressure, Similar to Vic but not quite as explosive.

2. Blaine Gabbert, Good Athlete can make plays on the run reminds me of Roethlisberger but better runner and not as big.

3. Ryan Mallet, BIG arm, good decision maker, more mobile than given credit for, not good under pressure will need a good line for protection, like Bledsoe who was a great QB for many years.

4. Andy Dalton, 4 yr starter, good at everything great at nothing, next Eli Manning.

I am going with Kaepernick anywhere after first and Robert Quinn at 3.

2. Blaine Gabbert, Good Athlete can make plays on the run reminds me of Roethlisberger but better runner and not as big.

Hmmm. Maybe a roughie, how about Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State. Remonds me of Michael Vick, except White, or Steve Young, except Right handed or John Elway, except not as durable, or Jim Kelly, but not as tall... sorry, but, you were open...

There are only four QBs in the draft that are worth drafting, all others are a complete waste of time:

1. Colin Kaepernick, Is the most raw but the best upside, looked good in the games I saw rocket arm, wheels, stays calm under pressure, Similar to Vic but not quite as explosive.

3. Ryan Mallet, BIG arm, good decision maker, more mobile than given credit for, not good under pressure will need a good line for protection, like Bledsoe who was a great QB for many years.

4. Andy Dalton, 4 yr starter, good at everything great at nothing, next Eli Manning.

I'd only count 1 on that list. And it ain't Kaepernick :thumbdown:

Is "given credit for" what they are calling Frankenstein these days?

I love when people take 4 mid round qbs and compares them to or calls them all the next big ben, Eli, Vick and Bledsoe. You know, 3 guys that went #1 and one that fell to about 10.

Other then Gabbert it's wholly possible that 3 of them are on the board still on day 3.

Edit: I know Gabbert isnt mid round. Probably mid first.

Edited by NoSaint

IMO Colin Kaepernick is too raw and needs a ton of work on mechanics and throwing motion to use our 2nd round pick on. I do like that his completion % improved with each year. However, he doesn't play against the stiffest of competition. During the Senior Bowl week, he showed very good velocity in his throws and had good mobility. His throwing motion is just a mess.

Because he's probably a 2-3 year project, I'm not taking him before the 4th round. The upside is there, but we need to get some instant starters with our 1st couple of picks and he's not one of them.

Also, of the 4 QB's listed, I think Gabbert is going to be the better NFL QB of them all.

Edited by Bangarang

I was under the impression that Mallet's decision making is one of his biggest faults. Maybe it's just me?

I'd only count 1 on that list. And it ain't Kaepernick :thumbdown:

it ain't Stanzi :oops:

... unless a team with a semi-established QB wants a 2 to 3 year project.

Fitz

I was under the impression that Mallet's decision making is one of his biggest faults. Maybe it's just me?

when he is not under pressure.

The waste of time in your list is Mallett.

You're leaving out one very good prospect who I believe will be a guy described as "shooting up draft boards" just as there always is. Delaware QB Pat Devlin.

Devin won't make it in the League.

just curious why the OP left Cam Newton off the list.

He is on every list of first round graded QBs you find by all of the draft experts.

He has unique physical skills and has won 2 national chanpionships and started every game over the last 2 seasons.

I would be interested to hear why you would not even consider him 'worth drafting'

I'd be ok with Quinn i guess, better than VM. Kaepernick scares me as a JP Losman type...

Hmmm. Maybe a roughie, how about Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State. Remonds me of Michael Vick, except White

Uhh, what? Not seeing it, Ponder is somewhat mobile...but Vick? Ponder is one of the most average QB's being talked about in the draft, and he was on a historically good FB team with solid recruiting. Vick at least looked good in college, watching ponder reminded me a lot more of Trent Edwards....

He is on every list of first round graded QBs you find by all of the draft experts.

He has unique physical skills and has won 2 national chanpionships and started every game over the last 2 seasons.

I would be interested to hear why you would not even consider him 'worth drafting'

Just don't like him as a QB, all the games I saw he had a run first mentality.

+1, I don't think I like him at 3, but if he slips to the 2nd he's the only one I like.

Which makes him completely undraftable? Yet Kaepernick has "upside"

I think the Newton hate is funny and I love how the haters (not necessarily refering to the OP) always say "he's the next Jamarcus Russel" rather than Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch,Joey Harrington, etc.

Edited by Maddog69

That was a similar criticism of Tebow. Have you seen Newton throw? He has a strong arm, is accurate and when he needs to has a good touch on the ball. Auborn's offense was designed to take advantage of his immense running ability. That was why they won so much. However, you don't win a SEC Championship and a National Championship without your qb being able to throw.

Edited by JohnC

Then you didnt watch any of his games. Or you just dont understand the concept of playcalling.

Most of his rushing yards came on CALLED RUNS. Not passes that he scrambled out of. When asked to stay in the pocket and pass, he was actually very good, posting multiple 300 yard plus passing games. I should also note that I watched EVERY Auburn game from South Carolina (week 4), on. I'm an Auburn fan, and was not high on Newton in the beginning of this year. It took until about the Arkansas and LSU games until I started believing. So Im not just a fan boy. You can check my old posts, I was all about Mallet for the first half of the year.

As for the QBs in the OP, none of them listed will be much better than Fitz, and that's AFTER the Bills coaches sink 2-3 years into coaching them up.

Since all of the QB prospects are gambles and projects, why not take the one with the greatest potential?

Newton has all of the physical traits and abilities that you would want in a QB prospect, PLUS he has freakish size and speed. NONE of that can be coached into other players. The only question mark on Newton is in his mental game, and (like all of the other QBs) his mechanics can use some tuning. Those are the two things that CAN be coached into a player.

Spending a 3rd round pick on a QB who, after 3 years will be just as good as Fitz is now (if we're lucky), is a waste of a pick and a waste of time, IMO.

I actually have no problem with the Bills sticking with Fitz, as I think he is just starting to come into his own and settle into the league. But if we MUST choose a QB in this draft, the best choice is Newton. Unfortunately, if we want him, we'll have to pick him #3. And while I believe he is worthy of a high pick, Id rather go defense, personally.

Edited by DrDankenstein

I appreciate all the studying, film watching, internet browsing that people do to get to these conclusions about talent, but a few things always come right to mind when I read posts like this. One - the Bills very often tend to pick players no one had considered, so their pick might be way out of left field, and we can only hope it's a good one, especially early. Two - Some years it's easy to tell a great QB in the draft: Rivers, Bradford, Stafford are examples, but, last year's draft is an example of times when there are a number of QB's that are considered the top of the class, but there is a lot of disagreement as to how NFL capable they are. This year's draft reminds me of last year's, regarding QB's, only I think this year's QB class is much deeper. I beleive there will end up being 4 or 5 quality NFL QB's that come out of this draft - but, there are just as many that will probably never be that good, and the trouble this year is that it could end up being any of them. They all seem to have potential to be great or to bust, depending on where they end up and a lot of other factors.

So, I think we will draft a QB this year, I just don't think it will be with our 1st pick. I think the Bills will have three or so QB's they'd like to get if they are available at a certain round. For instance - I think they'd take Locker if he were still there in the second, but, if he's gone I think they go NT or ILB with their 2nd, and then with their first 3rd they grab Ponder or Kaepernick if either is available, and if not, then they go something else and see if maybe Dalton is available with their second 3rd - that kind of thinking.

He only started one year for Auburn and they only won championship, Alabama won last year.

Week after week more stories are surfacing about Mallett having a sense of entitlement, is lazy, and stupid to boot. Yet he is still on OP's list. But Newton and Ponder are "complete wastes of time". Sure.

Ponder is Fitz and Newton won't be a good NFL QB so why bother.

Why do you think, in your opinion, that Newton will not be a good NFL QB?

As I have stated many times before, he runs too much instead of progressing through his reads and reminds me of Vince Newton WHEN he was at Texas and didn't like him either. I don't hate him or any other player, I go by what I see and my gut Feeling and just don't feel he will be good in the NFL. I hope he turns out to be a great player but I just don't think he will.

We do not have the time to spend on a project QB. We have to many holes on our roster to develop a "project"

The 7th round and UDFA's are "projects"

If we spend a 2nd round pick on a player that wont see the field for 3 years how is that any better than drafting Maybin 2 years ago? He was a "project".

This team needs as many impact players as possible now. That means every pick should be on a player than can contribute from day 1 especially in the first 3 rounds

Do you really think that much of your opinion that you feel the need to make yourself sound like an NFL scout? Does "waste of time" mean they won't make an NFL roster, will never start a game, something else??? :blink:

Edited by LabattBlue

As I have stated many times before, he runs too much instead of progressing through his reads and reminds me of Vince Newton WHEN he was at Texas and didn't like him either. I don't hate him or any other player, I go by what I see and my gut Feeling and just don't feel he will be good in the NFL. I hope he turns out to be a great player but I just don't think he will.

A lot of that is a product of the offense that Auburn's coaching staff was running. Besides all of the called QB run plays, most of their passing plays were "Make 2 reads and if nothing is there, then run". In the 10+ games I watched, he was very good at making those decisions.

You have to understand when watching him, that it was designed that way by his coaches. It's not as if they were asking him to go through 3 or 4 receivers, but instead he was taking off with the ball after his first guy wasn't open. He would go through his progression, and if nothing was there, he then turns into one of the most dangerous running backs in the game. THAT is what makes him a better prospect than the others. He can make the same reads they can, but has much better options if no one is open.

I watched Vince Young too, and was never sold on him. I didn't like him even when he was winning at Texas.

Cam Newton is no Vince Young.

I understand that nothing in this thread is going to change your opinion, and more power to you. It's your opinion and you can think whatever you want about a specific player. But I believe you need to seriously re-evaluate your views if you think the guys listed in your OP are going to be good, and/or better than Newton.

We do not have the time to spend on a project QB. We have to many holes on our roster to develop a "project"

The 7th round and UDFA's are "projects"

If we spend a 2nd round pick on a player that wont see the field for 3 years how is that any better than drafting Maybin 2 years ago? He was a "project".

This team needs as many impact players as possible now. That means every pick should be on a player than can contribute from day 1 especially in the first 3 rounds

Ehhhhh, I disagree with the bolded.

Heading into the start of year 2 of a 3+ year rebuilding plan, we definitely have time. And given the current state of the team, now is that time.

We have a decent veteran starter who can hold down the fort while the kid comes up to speed. And sitting a year gives the FO time to shore up and develop the offensive line. It also allows the young talent on said Line to grow and develop.

IMO, this team is currently the perfect situation for a rookie QB to come into. Too bad we need such help on Defense...

IMO Colin Kaepernick is too raw and needs a ton of work on mechanics and throwing motion to use our 2nd round pick on. I do like that his completion % improved with each year. However, he doesn't play against the stiffest of competition. During the Senior Bowl week, he showed very good velocity in his throws and had good mobility. His throwing motion is just a mess.

Because he's probably a 2-3 year project, I'm not taking him before the 4th round. The upside is there, but we need to get some instant starters with our 1st couple of picks and he's not one of them.

Also, of the 4 QB's listed, I think Gabbert is going to be the better NFL QB of them all.

x2

Just give me Dalton.....leader, strong enough arm, accurate, mobile, and a winner

What more do you need? By the way......I would totally take Ely Manning as my backup developmental QB. Give me Dalton in the 3rd round

Robert Quinn at 3

Phil Taylor NT in the 2nd

Andy Dalton QB in the 3rd

best availble LB at BOTH of the 4th round picks

best special teamer at 5

best special teamer at 6

pest special teamer at 7

In free agency give me a ROT and a TE....of STARTING quality

JUCO doesn't count.

He played in JUCO and dominated at that level. Then he played in arguably the toughest conference in major college football (SEC) and dominated. Then he played in the BCS national championship game and dominated (MVP). Not to mention that he won the heisman and by all accounts was the unquestioned team leader of the Tigers.

It is a pretty impressive feat to win 2 championships in consecutive years.

I would say that he is easily qualified to be drafted at some point and not "a total waste of time"

You compare him to Vince Young (can you give me some reasons other than the obvious one?)

I would compare him more to Steve Young.

Edited by Maddog69