Patrick Peterson

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/nfl_news.cfm?news_id=2729

i could definitely see the bills drafting Peterson this draft. it seems as if the bills always through a curveball for their first pick and this would be an example. however, peterson is skilled and would make an impact in the nfl so im not totally down on this pick if he was selected by us.

thoughts?

i could definitely see the bills drafting Peterson this draft. it seems as if the bills always through a curveball for their first pick and this would be an example. however, peterson is skilled and would make an impact in the nfl so im not totally down on this pick if he was selected by us.

thoughts?

I would not run screaming for the hills, but I certainly would not be happy with this pick. He is a talented defensive back (might be better suited at Safety than cornerback), and an exceptional special teams player. I agree that the Bills tend to do some strange things with their first rounders, often leaving us fans scratching our heads, but I am hoping that Buddy & Co. finally make a logical decision this year in drafting the best available defensive lineman (1. Fairley 2. Dareus 3. Bowers...IMO). Hopefully, as speculated by many, Denver will take Peterson with the #2 pick.

After seeing Peterson get his teeth kicked in by WR #8 from A&M in the Cotton Bowl I say no F’ing way. Further, the Bills have proven that putting a priority on DBs and RBs in the draft results in constant losing seasons. Id like this team to select a great player at an important position and Peterson is not that guy.

thoughts?

These types of posts circulated last year leading up to the draft, only the player mentioned was Spiller. At the time I thought it was just crazy fan talk. There's no way the Bills' front office would be that dense and that far out of touch with what it takes to build a team. Yet, as the draft grew closer, these posts grew more persistent and, surprisingly, grew more popular amongst the fan base.

"Best player available!" ... "He can score from anywhere!" ... "Marshawn is one strike away from being banned!" ... "Freddie is old!"

On and on it went.

But then, the Bills actually picked Spiller and I was dumbfounded.

Now, these posts are starting again (This is at least the third such post over the past few weeks). And again, I'm seeing people climb on board this band wagon. So that being said, it would not surprise me one bit if Peterson is the pick. But it would only serve to remind us once again what an utter abortion Nix has been as GM.

i see this as a real possibility since the front office might see our def line almost set with edwards, troupe, williams, carrington, stroud and johnson...also they will likely go with moats, davis, poz and merriman at the lb position.

You do realize that's the same front as last year and we were ranked dead last against the run. I sure hope they don't see it that way. Trenches first!!!

And as for the lbs, none of them can cover.

Edited by qdawg in philly

Howard Simon was talking this morning about how Rex Ryan and others are now of the belief that the way to build a defense is from the backfield in. The thought is that lockdown corners make everyone on the D better, it improves the pass rush, etc. Also, is it me or does it seem as if there are fewer first round cornerback busts than any other position? With all that said, if they don't go QB or Defensive line at number 3, I'll be sick to my stomach.

You do realize that's the same front as last year and we were ranked dead last against the run. I sure hope they don't see it that way. Trenches first!!!

And as for the lbs, none of them can cover.

the bills pass defense were close to the bottom in the league in td's allowed...if the kid turns out to be on the same level of champ bailey, revis, asoumadi I would be ok. i really am just tired of seeing 1st rounders that dont produce and would be happy if he comes in and starts

Howard Simon was talking this morning about how Rex Ryan and others are now of the belief that the way to build a defense is from the backfield in. The thought is that lockdown corners make everyone on the D better, it improves the pass rush, etc. Also, is it me or does it seem as if there are fewer first round cornerback busts than any other position? With all that said, if they don't go QB or Defensive line at number 3, I'll be sick to my stomach.

That was the same logic with Spiller. A dynamic back will make the offensive line look better by turning nothing into something and will make the QB look better by giving him an outlet and keeping the rush at bay.

After seeing Peterson get his teeth kicked in by WR #8 from A&M in the Cotton Bowl I say no F’ing way. Further, the Bills have proven that putting a priority on DBs and RBs in the draft results in constant losing seasons. Id like this team to select a great player at an important position and Peterson is not that guy.

Yup, we dismissed Peterson talking in the Von Miller potential thread. Jeff Fuller (#8) dominated him in the Cotton Bowl. We need someone who can stop the run and put pressure on the QB. Pray that Carolina and Denver do not pick Fairley, otherwise, Marcell Dareus should be the choice at #3.

That was the same logic with Spiller. A dynamic back will make the offensive line look better by turning nothing into something and will make the QB look better by giving him an outlet and keeping the rush at bay.

Rex Ryan was in SI and stated that his defense needs to have a shutdown CB, because then it allows him so much more flexibility with the front 7. Hence the reason why they have Revis (1st rounder in 2007), Cromartie, and drafted Kyle Wilson (1st rounder in 2010).

I'm not advocating the Bills select a CB at #3, but stating that the NFL is changing, and its no longer 3 yards and a cloud of dust and we need lots of fat guys to be good type of league. Its quickly becoming a wide-open, passing, shotgun in over half your snaps, 3 or more WRs on a majority of plays so you need to cover them type of league.

Rex Ryan was in SI and stated that his defense needs to have a shutdown CB, because then it allows him so much more flexibility with the front 7. Hence the reason why they have Revis (1st rounder in 2007), Cromartie, and drafted Kyle Wilson (1st rounder in 2010).

I'm not advocating the Bills select a CB at #3, but stating that the NFL is changing, and its no longer 3 yards and a cloud of dust and we need lots of fat guys to be good type of league. Its quickly becoming a wide-open, passing, shotgun in over half your snaps, 3 or more WRs on a majority of plays so you need to cover them type of league.

Why not? Because you have seen this dumb strategy result in 11 years of consistent losing?

What many (not saying you) miss is that it isn't all about a player being "great," because a great Peterson would help this team a lot less than a "very good" Right Tackle.

The playoffs are on now. Do you think the Jets can beat NE without running the football and keeping it away from Brady? Or, do you think that chances are that the winner of the Steeler/Ravens game will have more yards on the ground than the losing team?

You are correct. It is more of a passing league today, but teams that are weak up front will never be top teams. And, you don't get stronger by drafting first round cornerbacks, running backs, wideouts, or gadget players. Unfortunately, the Bills are living proof.

When the foundation is solid, then we can worry more about things that are "secondary."

But then, the Bills actually picked Spiller and I was dumbfounded.

Who did you want? I'm not sure I see the Orakpo or Ngata in this one, and am pretty optimistic about what Spiller will mean to this team over the next five years.

Everyone raves about our great pass defense, well that's because when you're the worst team stopping the run, team's don't bother passing the ball as much. But when you face teams like the Patriots who throw 4 TDs against you every game because you have no pass rush, then it's alright to draft a top tier corner. We need to draft to beat the Patriots.

i see this as a real possibility since the front office might see our def line almost set with edwards, troupe, williams, carrington, stroud and johnson...also they will likely go with moats, davis, poz and merriman at the lb position.

You think that the front office believes that the same guys that just ranked LAST in the NFL vs the run, is going to suffice? Lol wow. Watch many bills games this year? They need to upgrade the front 7. Period.

Most of the posts on this board seem to indicate that people think the Bills are one or two players away from being competitive which is just not true. The Bills are broken and they need talent to get fixed. This #3 pick isn't for next year or even for 2012, this pick is about building a competitive team for the future. I tell you, if Peterson's the guy, I'll watch in 3 years with a big smile on my face as he shuts down the pass. If they go DL, I'll watch with a big smile too. Bottom line is we need talent, something we've been sorely lacking for the past 10 years. It doesn't matter the position, they just need to hit on a few of these picks.

Yup, we dismissed Peterson talking in the Von Miller potential thread. Jeff Fuller (#8) dominated him in the Cotton Bowl. We need someone who can stop the run and put pressure on the QB. Pray that Carolina and Denver do not pick Fairley, otherwise, Marcell Dareus should be the choice at #3.

Am I mistaken, or is Dareus like Maybin in that he only had 1-2 good college seasons. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get. Picking him could be a giant mistake.

Most of the posts on this board seem to indicate that people think the Bills are one or two players away from being competitive which is just not true. The Bills are broken and they need talent to get fixed. This #3 pick isn't for next year or even for 2012, this pick is about building a competitive team for the future. I tell you, if Peterson's the guy, I'll watch in 3 years with a big smile on my face as he shuts down the pass. If they go DL, I'll watch with a big smile too. Bottom line is we need talent, something we've been sorely lacking for the past 10 years. It doesn't matter the position, they just need to hit on a few of these picks.

Well said. Take the top talent. Although, if Fariley is gone, I'd even consider Von Miller at #3, even though that's too high for him based on the mocks i've seen (late 1st round).

I would not run screaming for the hills, but I certainly would not be happy with this pick. He is a talented defensive back (might be better suited at Safety than cornerback), and an exceptional special teams player. I agree that the Bills tend to do some strange things with their first rounders, often leaving us fans scratching our heads, but I am hoping that Buddy & Co. finally make a logical decision this year in drafting the best available defensive lineman (1. Fairley 2. Dareus 3. Bowers...IMO). Hopefully, as speculated by many, Denver will take Peterson with the #2 pick.

I want to give Nix/Gailey the benefit of the doubt and assume they are going to take Fairley/Bowers with this pick if either is available. I think they know they need to improve the defensive front. That being said, I didn't see the Spiller pick coming even though I knew Gailey wanted a little scat back. So I don't know if I would be surprised by any move this team makes.

Most of the posts on this board seem to indicate that people think the Bills are one or two players away from being competitive which is just not true.

It is true, we're only one or two players (at each position) from being competitive!

:)

I want to give Nix/Gailey the benefit of the doubt and assume they are going to take Fairley/Bowers with this pick if either is available. I think they know they need to improve the defensive front. That being said, I didn't see the Spiller pick coming even though I knew Gailey wanted a little scat back. So I don't know if I would be surprised by any move this team makes.

They don't need to just improve the defensive front, they need to improve the TEAM. And if Peterson and Fairley are there and rate similar, sure, take Fairley based on position (or Dareus). I am definitely not advocating Patrick Peterson because I don't know enough about him, and unlike the linemen, I have not seen him play. But if Peterson is clearly superior to anybody else available, I take him even though I don't want to take a CB. You might draft a need if you are a player or two away, maybe. If you are a decade without playoffs and a mediocre talent top to bottom, you take the player you think has the best chance of being great, of wearing a yellow jacket, of being a year in year out pro-bowler.

There was no LT or QB we considered as talented as RB Spiller last year, and I am happy with that decision making (even if not with his rookie year). I expect that the decision making will be the same. What I see as different is that there are fortunately D-Linemen who will be at the top of our talent board when we pick at #3.

But I would like to say it one last time: our first round busts are all that because they are not great players, not because we didn't need a shutdown corner or a left tackle or a QB. Find great players and nobody will complain what position they play a few years from now. Settle for mediocre players based on position, scheme, etc., and you will be talking about busts in a few years.

I don't care that we picked a safety over a DT, I care that we picked a pretty good player (Whitner) over a great player (Ngata). I don't care that we picked a DT over a RB, I care that we picked a not so good player (McCargo) 24 picks before a great player (MJD).

So I don't care what position they play (okay, I do a little). I hope that at #3 and beyond we are trying to get great football players.

Why not? Because you have seen this dumb strategy result in 11 years of consistent losing?

What many (not saying you) miss is that it isn't all about a player being "great," because a great Peterson would help this team a lot less than a "very good" Right Tackle.

The playoffs are on now. Do you think the Jets can beat NE without running the football and keeping it away from Brady? Or, do you think that chances are that the winner of the Steeler/Ravens game will have more yards on the ground than the losing team?

You are correct. It is more of a passing league today, but teams that are weak up front will never be top teams. And, you don't get stronger by drafting first round cornerbacks, running backs, wideouts, or gadget players. Unfortunately, the Bills are living proof.

When the foundation is solid, then we can worry more about things that are "secondary."

This where i disagree.

If all things are equal, the BILLS are better off taking a OT than a CB. However, i'd rather take a "great" player at CB than a "decent" player at a position of need. That's how you win in the long win. You stockpile talent. Great players WILL improve the team regardless of what position they play.

forget Peterson at #3.....

he is an exceptional athlete, but we don't need a corner and he is NOT the 3rd best player in this draft.

here's video of his bowl game.....he's #7 and always is on the right side....played 10+ yards off his receiver and looks weak vs run.

we need a DT, OT or QB !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXy0WVJd1Jc

This where i disagree.

If all things are equal, the BILLS are better off taking a OT than a CB. However, i'd rather take a "great" player at CB than a "decent" player at a position of need. That's how you win in the long win. You stockpile talent. Great players WILL improve the team regardless of what position they play.

Ah, but I said "very good" RT and didn't use the word decent, right?

Also, please address my playoff speculation if you will. Do you think that the Jets can beat NE without running the football, killing the clock, and keeping the ball away from Brady? Imo, this will help WAY more than a corner. You know why? Because Brady can hit SO many tagets. He does so with ease. But, he can't do it unless he is on the field. And, he can't do it when his protection fails him and he is laying on his a$$.

On another team I would be more prone to agree with your premise of BPA. The Bills are different. They are consistently bad on both lines and have been for more than a decade. We have all seen the failure, and it isn't a mystery what is, and has been wrong. They draft players that are easy to get (secondary, rbs, and wrs) with their best picks. And until this stops they will continue to lose.

To me this is just that simple.

Ah, but I said "very good" RT and didn't use the word decent, right?

Also, please address my playoff speculation if you will. Do you think that the Jets can beat NE without running the football, killing the clock, and keeping the ball away from Brady? Imo, this will help WAY more than a corner. You know why? Because Brady can hit SO many tagets. He does so with ease. But, he can't do it unless he is on the field. And, he can't do it when his protection fails him and he is laying on his a$$.

On another team I would be more prone to agree with your premise of BPA. The Bills are different. They are consistently bad on both lines and have been for more than a decade. We have all seen the failure, and it isn't a mystery what is, and has been wrong. They draft players that are easy to get (secondary, rbs, and wrs) with their best picks. And until this stops they will continue to lose.

To me this is just that simple.

The jets need to beat new england* by running the ball because Mark Sanchez sucks as a QB. If the jets had a QB worth a damn, they could trade punch for punch with the pats* because their defense is so much better. But, the jets also spent 2 1st rounders on CBs in the past couple of years (revis and wilson) and traded for another (cromartie). They know they need to keep the ball away from brady to win, but they also knew they need to be able to shut down the passing attacks of both the pats* and the colts if they want to get to the Super Bowl.

For the Bills, there's no OT worth taking at #3, so one of the DLs would be our best option. If there was an OT ranked that high, it would be the no-brainer pick.

you need to rush the passer, whether from a D-lineman or LBs

the Bills have neither -

Rex Ryan does

they have also wasted numerous top picks on cover corners with the intention of playing them in soft zones where their skills were not used.

with the 3rd pick, they need a stud DT that can disrupt the inside, push the pocket make the rest of the crappy pass rushers on the team just a little bit better and maybe functional.

Everyone raves about our great pass defense, well that's because when you're the worst team stopping the run, team's don't bother passing the ball as much. But when you face teams like the Patriots who throw 4 TDs against you every game because you have no pass rush, then it's alright to draft a top tier corner. We need to draft to beat the Patriots.

...because we have no pass rush and because the safeties have to cheat up against the run because the DL and LBs can't stop it...

I don't want to see the team drastically reach for a DL or LB, but talent available at other positions being roughly equal (if it is), then

I'd prefer to see them take a LB or DL.

I don't know what to make of Dareus yet. I don't know if he is quite good enough to pick as high as 3, but maybe he is. Where would

he play? Would he play DE or NT?

Likewise, I don't know about LB Von Miller. I don't like what I've read so far about any of the other outside LBs coming out and he is

a proven pass rusher at the collegiate level for 2 years...

The jets need to beat new england* by running the ball because Mark Sanchez sucks as a QB. If the jets had a QB worth a damn, they could trade punch for punch with the pats* because their defense is so much better. But, the jets also spent 2 1st rounders on CBs in the past couple of years (revis and wilson) and traded for another (cromartie). They know they need to keep the ball away from brady to win, but they also knew they need to be able to shut down the passing attacks of both the pats* and the colts if they want to get to the Super Bowl.

For the Bills, there's no OT worth taking at #3, so one of the DLs would be our best option. If there was an OT ranked that high, it would be the no-brainer pick.

Sanchez sucks? He might, but he plays behind 3 first round blockers, one of the #4 overall, another (Mangold) who could well wind up in the hall of fame. Imagine him behind our mess up front. Not a pretty picture, and I actually prefer Fitz.

Also, looking at the games yesterday, we were both right. Passing dominated the day. However, the winning team in both games doubled the rushing yardage of the loser. And they tripled the number of rushing first downs.

I readily acknowledge that it's a passing league. There, I said it. :thumbsup: But in cold weather/playoff time, there will always be a great need for running the football, as well as stopping your opponent from doing so.

Btw, I keyed on Bulaga and he looks pretty good. I think he will develop into a fine RT, and said this before the draft. Try to watch Mangold today. He is a monster. We shunned these players for a scat back gadget player and a small safety so yeah.....give me a big monster lineman at #3, not another corner.

Jmo. :)

Sanchez sucks? He might, but he plays behind 3 first round blockers, one of the #4 overall, another (Mangold) who could well wind up in the hall of fame. Imagine him behind our mess up front. Not a pretty picture, and I actually prefer Fitz.

Also, looking at the games yesterday, we were both right. Passing dominated the day. However, the winning team in both games doubled the rushing yardage of the loser. And they tripled the number of rushing first downs.

I readily acknowledge that it's a passing league. There, I said it. :thumbsup: But in cold weather/playoff time, there will always be a great need for running the football, as well as stopping your opponent from doing so.

Btw, I keyed on Bulaga and he looks pretty good. I think he will develop into a fine RT, and said this before the draft. Try to watch Mangold today. He is a monster. We shunned these players for a scat back gadget player and a small safety so yeah.....give me a big monster lineman at #3, not another corner.

Jmo. :)

Your point about rushing is taken, but rushing stats can be skewed because a team that is leading is obviously going to run more to kill the clock. A good majority of the top rushers came from teams not in the playoffs.

So now its Whitner's fault we didn't draft both Ngata and Mangold? I thought we took McCargo over Mangold?

And yes i agree with you that the BILLS need some DL help more so than a CB. For other teams it would be different. For example, if the Lions were selecting at #3, they'd be well within their rights to take Peterson.

So now its Whitner's fault we didn't draft both Ngata and Mangold? I thought we took McCargo over Mangold?

Nah...there was never a need to trade up. Again, Levy said that he had offers to trade down for more than another second. I was more about Mangold, Joseph and Trueblood. They were right there for the taking. Trading up was a dumb move when they could have had an extra second and used it on Trueblood. Remember, they also had an extra early third. It was a painful draft, unimagineably bad.

Btw, I don't think that Ralph will allow Nix to draft a 1st round corner, even if Nix is so inclined. If the Bills do this, ticket sales/profits will decrease sharply. Of this I am sure.

Do you agree? I am curious to your take about this selection, and how much control you think Mr. Wilson will have over it. I am convinced that the first round belongs to Mr. Wilson now that Dick Levy is gone. Are you?