Get on the record about Cam.

dayman

How do you feel about Cam for the Bills?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Cam for the Bills?

• I do not want him. He's not an upgrade or answer at QB for us.
    • I would take him if he falls to us in the second.
    • I would trade down and get him late 1st or second.
    • I want him, he is the answer. Take him top 5.

Lot's of posters here. Can't read every topic. Some posters are more vocal than others. Here is the Cam poll. Vote for how you feel about Cam for the Bills. This isn't anything about Cam personally or in college. This is about the draft and future of the Bills.

This poll is public. Everyone will see how you voted. Click the "view" button next to the results in the poll to see who voted how if you are interested.

Obviously feel free to post in here further thoughts on why or whatever you feel the way you do...if nothing else that can keep it quasi-bumped just to get solid poll results.

Edited by dayman

I voted for grab him if he falls to us in the 2nd, but I would also be ok with it if we traded back and loaded up on draft picks and took him later in the first. I am not sold on him, in fact, the only reason I find him even intriguing is because of Chans track record with QB's, especially mobile QB's.

I went with trading back. I think they are better off getting Fairley with the 3rd,I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but I really don't think that either of the two picks in front will pass on him so there isn't a lot up top that "extremely" stands out worth a 3rd round pick and fills our needs (I'm sure there are but I'm not a draft guru and only pull up little tid bits). Carolina is awful everywhere and Denver has always built their teams defense first.

If Fairley is there at 3, Cam isn't a need at this point. We lost 6 games by 8 points or less. I feel like the offense can hang on to the game if the defense was a little bit better and he would be a huge upgrade.

Edited by The Wiz

He's an interesting proposition for the Bills as he is oddly the best solution to give Fitzpatrick the reigns for 2-3 more years while getting Newton up to speed on the pro game. That said, with all of our needs, I would not touch him until after we grab a solid defensive contributor - 2nd round would be good value.

'Trading back up' has been a cornerstone of Bills draft day fiascos for the past decade. Giving up a king's ransom to draft a probably-will-miss project in the late first round is a recipe for failure --- think about how many picks where flushed down the toilet in exchange for Losman and McCargo.

No thanks..

If you get a chance to draft a talented franchise qb then you need to seize the opportunity. I get tired of the argument that the Bills need an immediate impact player. That argument doesn't hold for me because it is not unusual that rookies, even highly drafted rookies, don't contribute right away. Last year, the Bills drafted in the #9 spot. There was no rookie on our roster who made an immediate impact. That certainly doesn't mean that in the long run last year's draft class can't develop into good players.

Cam Newton reminds me of Ben Rothlesberger. He has the size, strength of arm and accuracy. How many times will the Bills be in position to draft as talented a franchise qb? If the Bills address their long term qb need in the first round they then can address their manifold defensive needs with the rest of the draft and in free agency.

Teams that have sustained success usually have their qb positon staffed with exceptionally talented qbs. Fitz is a good guy, but he certainly doesn't fall into being an impactful player.

The Bills are many years from being a serious playoff team. One way to get on the right path is to invest now in drafting a legitimate franchise qb and then systematically filling our other needs.

If you get a chance to draft a talented franchise qb then you need to seize the opportunity. I get tired of the argument that the Bills need an immediate impact player. That argument doesn't hold for me because it is not unusual that rookies, even highly drafted rookies, don't contribute right away. Last year, the Bills drafted in the #9 spot. There was no rookie on our roster who made an immediate impact. That certainly doesn't mean that in the long run last year's draft class can't develop into good players.

Cam Newton reminds me of Ben Rothlesberger. He has the size, strength of arm and accuracy. How many times will the Bills be in position to draft as talented a franchise qb? If the Bills address their long term qb need in the first round they then can address their manifold defensive needs with the rest of the draft and in free agency.

Teams that have sustained success usually have their qb positon staffed with exceptionally talented qbs. Fitz is a good guy, but he certainly doesn't fall into being an impactful player.

The Bills are many years from being a serious playoff team. One way to get on the right path is to invest now in drafting a legitimate franchise qb and then systematically filling our other needs.

Newton is Big Ben/Franchise Man and Fitz is not an "impactful player?"

Man...good thing we don't have beers and watch the games together. I don't think we see the game the same at all.

please no. He's not good.

:w00t:

Yeah, what did he really accomplish this year anyways? What a loser!!!

If Fairley is on the board, it's a no brainer. Otherwise, I'm not sold on anyone else at #3. But given track record with ordinary talents at QB, it makes you wonder what he could do with an uber talent like Newton.

He has his warts but he has everything you would ever want in a QB. I hope the Bills do a ton of homework on the guy but IMO, it's hard to pass on a rare talent like this.

I voted no on getting him and being set at QB. Why?

I do not think he warrants a pick for us in any position before the 3rd. We have much more important aspects we need to focus on and there really isn't a difference between him and many of the other QB's in the draft. I kind of hope we either bring in a FA or pick up a UDFA.

Guy's a TE.

Maybe. An athletic TE is certainly a Bills need. What makes us think he can catch?

I voted for grab him if he falls to us in the 2nd, but I would also be ok with it if we traded back and loaded up on draft picks and took him later in the first. I am not sold on him, in fact, the only reason I find him even intriguing is because of Chans track record with QB's, especially mobile QB's.

Maybe.

please no. He's not good.

Not this.

He's an interesting proposition for the Bills as he is oddly the best solution to give Fitzpatrick the reigns for 2-3 more years while getting Newton up to speed on the pro game. That said, with all of our needs, I would not touch him until after we grab a solid defensive contributor - 2nd round would be good value.

Maybe.

Not sure how the Bills would choose to use him, but he's a versatile athlete and a winner. Don't like him any higher than our 2nd - not the right guy to trade up for unless FO sees him as the future at QB. I think the more obvious choices are big burly men in rounds 1 through 7!!!!

Newton is Big Ben/Franchise Man and Fitz is not an "impactful player?"

Man...good thing we don't have beers and watch the games together. I don't think we see the game the same at all.

Fitz is a below average qb with a lot of moxie. Nothing more. Whether I'm drinking beer or soda pop watching the games with you we would probably still have a very different view of what we each have witnessed.

Compared to the atrocious performances of Edwards and Losman Fitz played at a credible level. But that isn't saying much. As I have frequently stated and strongly believe when you get an opportunity to draft a talented qb you should seize the opportunity. I watched at least five games in which Newton played this season. In every one of those tough and talent rich SEC games he was the most impactful player on the field.

:w00t:

Yeah, what did he really accomplish this year anyways? What a loser!!!

If Fairley is on the board, it's a no brainer. Otherwise, I'm not sold on anyone else at #3. But given track record with ordinary talents at QB, it makes you wonder what he could do with an uber talent like Newton.

He has his warts but he has everything you would ever want in a QB. I hope the Bills do a ton of homework on the guy but IMO, it's hard to pass on a rare talent like this.

+1

I voted no on getting him and being set at QB. Why?

I do not think he warrants a pick for us in any position before the 3rd. We have much more important aspects we need to focus on and there really isn't a difference between him and many of the other QB's in the draft. I kind of hope we either bring in a FA or pick up a UDFA.

Witchu, jboyst62. I think we really need a veteran who may no longer be every-game durable, but can come in and play at the drop of a flag, to back up Fitz.

Brohm may have the stuff to develop into a decent NFL QB in a pocket-passer system with a veteran OL but we ain't got that here.

I also like the NE system of sifting through promising UDFA and occasional late-rounders until you find a gem to polish in the background.

in BCS i can see the physical tools, but also looks a year or two away from being an NFL starter. i dont want to pay a guy $10MM/yr to sit on the bench for 2 years. At #3 i want to draft a guy that can play now. If by some miracle hes there at #35 then consider it. but not #3. give me a defensive front 7 that can start and be a factor day 1

I want a QB, not an athlete.

I will go on the record. Newton is a top 5 pick or a top ten pick. It will depend on the Combine, interviews and perhaps any new information that is revealed about his character. If I were the Bills brain trust and the Combine results were solid I would take him at 3 or trade him to a team that wants him for additional picks. He would not come cheap.

I will go on the record. Newton is a top 5 pick or a top ten pick. It will depend on the Combine, interviews and perhaps any new information that is revealed about his character. If I were the Bills brain trust and the Combine results were solid I would take him at 3 or trade him to a team that wants him for additional picks. He would not come cheap.

I'd take him at 3.

I think he has the raw talent and moxie to succeed at this level, provided he checks out at the combine and doesn't have mental hangups that we are unaware of.

Lot's of posters here. Can't read every topic. Some posters are more vocal than others. Here is the Cam poll. Vote for how you feel about Cam for the Bills. This isn't anything about Cam personally or in college. This is about the draft and future of the Bills.

This poll is public. Everyone will see how you voted. Click the "view" button next to the results in the poll to see who voted how if you are interested.

Obviously feel free to post in here further thoughts on why or whatever you feel the way you do...if nothing else that can keep it quasi-bumped just to get solid poll results.

really doesn't matter what we think...either he is gonna be good or he is gonna suck. Not even the best scouts are gonna know until he starts taking snaps in the NFL...even then half of the scouts will disagree with the other half...

Edited by matter2003

I voted no, don't want him. We already have a pretty good QB. We can pick up a good experienced sub in FA.

I don't want to draft another project that may or may not materialize with that high of a pick. If he fell to the second round, maybe. He's a college QB. Like Tebow or Don McPherson. Great in college, but his style just won't translate that well into the NFL unless he learns to be a pocket passer. Do you think he's a good enough passer (forget running) to pull that off? I don't. Passing is what matters in the NFL, not running.

There is no way he last past the first round so getting him later is out of the question. As far as him being NFL ready, how many guys are at the beginning of their careers. I know there are a few exceptions to the rule, but for every name you throw out there is a ton of Hall of Fame QB's that were not. I think that this will be one of those picks that everyone who needs a qb that passes on him will regret it. Also, I think this whole character thing is BS. If a player produces all of those issues seem to go out of the window. For example, you think Dallas or the Hall of Fame voters care about M. Irvings issues. Hey, technically the Bible says premarital sex is wrong so should we run all the single guys that are getting some out of town. I WANT GUYS WHO CAN PLAY FOOTBALL!

Edited by dubj04

LMAO Thats Hilarious... Fitz is an athlete and you want him right? I think you may have ment you don't want a mobile QB or maybe you were takin it to another level cuz there are many different racial undertones on this board about Cam. So who knows? Maybe im wrong, Maybe im right.

I'd take Cam if Fairly or Bowers are gone which im 90 percent sure they're going to be. I know everybody has there own opinion but if you think Fitz is better than Cam I think you may have the Flu or a Fever cuz your sick....

LMAO Thats Hilarious... Fitz is an athlete and you want him right? I think you may have ment you don't want a mobile QB or maybe you were takin it to another level cuz there are many different racial undertones on this board about Cam. So who knows? Maybe im wrong, Maybe im right.

I'd take Cam if Fairly or Bowers are gone which im 90 percent sure they're going to be. I know everybody has there own opinion but if you think Fitz is better than Cam I think you may have the Flu or a Fever cuz your sick....

Agreed

Rumor is that Eagles are looking to trade Kolb for a 1st rounder. Doubt they get it, so best they can get is high 2nd rounder from someone like us.

so whats better: newton + best defender at #35, or kolb + best defender with 3rd pick

If Newton checks out at the combine and visits (i.e. no skeletons in his closet, meshes well with coaches), I'd take Newton. I think Chan can figure out ways to utilize his ability.

Draft Newton

Use the remainder of the draft to take the best players at any position except WR and RB. Yes, we could use secondary depth with McGee getting old and Florence a free agent.

I could be wrong - but, he looks like the kind of player a team would have to build the offense around, cater to, and even then, I can't say he's shown enough skill as is to be successful at the NFL level. Sure, with the right coach, the right offense, he might be great. So, unless Gailey looks at him and says, "he's perfect for what I envision", then I'd say pass, get the great D-lineman, and if you like that kind of guy, go get Vince Young.

However - with Gailey's track record, we should be excited about whoever they do end up picking as the eventual franchise QB. I don't know - I'll have to look it up - if Gailey has ever had the chance to hand pick his QB? Whoever we end up with at the QB position, I think we can expect good things. I mean, look how decent Fitzpatrick was this year. Gailey didn't see a whole lot in him until the time came for Fitz to play. Imagine what he can do with a guy he is excited about.

I think he's likely to bust, doesn't show big potential to be a prototype NFL passer, and has poor character. But as a second round pick he's like a lottery ticket when the powerball is high, worth the risk.

I agree with your first sentence more than your second. If you want to use a second round pick on a somewhat risky quarterback, why not go after a guy who's known more for being a pocket passer than for being athletic?

Very few franchise QBs get drafted after the first round. Of the good, non-first round QBs still in the league, the ones that come to mind are Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Matt Schaub. (Maybe there are one or two others I'm forgetting.) None of those guys are particularly mobile or athletic. The fact these players were drafted at all was because of what they'd shown as pocket passers, not because of their athletic gifts.

Obviously, very few quarterbacks taken outside the first round reach the level of Brady or Brees--or even Schaub for that matter. But if you feel like using a non-first rounder on a quarterback to give yourself at least a chance of getting one of those success stories, why not go after a pocket passer QB rather than an "athletic gifts QB"? Christian Ponder might still be around when the Bills' second round pick comes up. He's a guy who's shown good accuracy in the pocket; as well as the other traits you'd hope to see from a pocket passing QB. While any QB taken outside the first round is a lot more likely to turn into a career backup than into a franchise QB, Ponder has as good a chance as any non-first rounder to become the next Drew Brees story.

Yet. I think the options presented in the poll actually gives you the opportunity to both things and have both the QB and the athlete by trading down into the middle of the first and getting Newton.

When the smoke clears the positioning for the Bills is:

1. You trade the valuable #3 using the draft value charts to get a 10-15 choice (whereever you judge Newton will drop to as it is quite doubtful he is a good to go starter at QB in his first year).

However, though Newton is not likely to be a quality QB right out of the draft (he has not shown the made to start at QB that Luck has shown but then nobody has). Newton is a good passer and a nimble runner who is able to make good reads against college opponents. However, against the bigger and consistently faster pro players Newton appears to need a year or more watching pro Ds up close and personal before he becomes quality starter he might well be.

2. Even though you traded down to get Newton he still can play a valuable role in the Bills O as:

A. We make more use of the Wildcat O with Newton as the QB primarily used as a runner receiving the direct snap.

B. The Jets showed how one can use a talented athlete who can pass but is primarily a runner in the Wildcat.

C, Newton appears to be a good enough athlete that when he is in the game he not only provides the possibility of traditional QB or use as an RB but potentially provides a credible WR threat.

3. Firzgerald is actually our designated QB and its his job to hold for at least a year. This gives Newton time tp develop. However by trading down for a significant pick we get potential D supplements with our #2 pick in the second round and the supplemental pick we get for trading down.

I can see how this can work well to make us potent next year.

Cam Newton has a Bad News written all over him. I think he'll hold out long into the preseason, and he seems more of a Arron Maybin. No one heard of him beginning of this year, and now he's the MAN. I'm not a fan of one year wonders, and think will all the news following him it doesn't seem he had nothing to do with it.

If I'm spending a top 5 pick on a QB - or any first rounder for that matter - I at least expect him to know the basic: Like knowing how to do a proper 3,5 & 7 step drop.

Dropping back like Newton does - with no discipline - then looking to take off the moment he thinks he sees a hole has proven time and time again to not work in the NFL. Even successful mobile QBs understand proper footwork and I've not seen many QBs who didn't have this basic fundamental down by the end of college who found success in the NFL. It shows a lack of work ethic to perfect his craft and that will translate to failure in the NFL.

To me this is akin to a RB who is successful in college because he's more athletic than everybody else and hits the edge time and time again - like say, Reggie Bush. Sure it works in college but once you play with the big boys its a different story.

Add to it that Newton doesn't play in a pro style offense and his learning curve is even higher. He doesn't have basic fundamentals AND he isn't very familiar with the pro set. He's a project who will take years to bear fruit - if he bears fruit at all which I doubt given the fact that he's going to be forced into the lineup before he's ready (due to his name) and when he fails he'll be thrown to the scrap heap.

The guy has all the signs of being a bust but that won't stop someone from drafting him in the 1st round.

a vote for 2nd round is a no vote for chickens. he will not be avail in the 2nd.