Cam Newton is the next Akili Smith

freester

You sure he's not the next James Harris or Doug Wms? Akili Smith was a scatterarmed smaller QB who was much slower than Newton, but other than that, he's exactly the same.

Don't worry, the Bills are not taking a QB at 3. No way. They have a starter and need a _efense. If it's not front 7, I will be more blown away than when they took John Fina over Carl Pickens. More shocked than Whitner over Ngata or Tommy Harris. Maybe even more shocked than Tony Hunter over Jim Kelly/Dan Marino.

Cam Newton is a one year wonder like Akili Smith. He has questionable intangibles and work ethic. I have zero confidence in Nix's ability to run the draft.

Akili Smith didn't even put up numbers like Cam did this year. This is the 2nd greatest season by a college QB in the history of NCAA football, next to Tebow's Heisman year. Everyone on the Auburn Tigers raves about his work ethic and leadership ability. Not sure where you get your info from. Crayonz maybe?

Based on what? One top pick that hasn't won OROY?

PTR

Even you have to admit, Nix's design of the team thus far has been less than stellar. Picking Spiller was a huge blunder (though I know I'm in the minority on that), failing to seriously address the OL in FA or the draft, other than Moats, his first draft class seems suspect at best. Easley could be good, Spiller will turn out to be decent, Moats I think will be an overachiever his whole career (in a good way) but outside of those three, I'm not holding my breath.

This is a crucial draft for the Bills. They have the ability to get three or four playmakers on Offense and/or Defense. I have no choice but to hope for the best, but so far Nix has been a huge disappointment.

Cam Newton is a one year wonder like Akili Smith. He has questionable intangibles and work ethic. I have zero confidence in Nix's ability to run the draft.

Apparently San Diego had plenty of confidence in his ability where he drafted players like LaDanian Tomlinson, Shawne Merriman and found players like Antonio Gates...

I actually have zero confidence in your ability to judge talent evaluators...

PTR

based on an entire draft that contributed very little on a team devoid of talent. Based on a number of ridiculous moves like extending Kelsay and Merriman. Not firing a first time DC whose defense is the worst in the league.

Enjoying a mid-afternoon snack of paint chips, are we?

Thank you for clearing that up, but do you have proof?

Proof that Nix is incompetent?? His record speaks for itself. Newton like Akili runs an offense that is not pro style. In the pros with bigger faster defenders, he won't be able to run for all those yards. He doesn't have Vick's speed.

Cam Newton will be an excellent NFL QB, mark my words. As long as he stays away from the Jamarsucks Russell ho-ho and twinkie diet, he will be good. All these other QB's mentioned could never throw the ball nearly as good as they could run. Newton OTOH can throw as good, if not better than he can run and he can actually read defenses.

Proof that Nix is incompetent?? His record speaks for itself. Newton like Akili runs an offense that is not pro style. In the pros with bigger faster defenders, he won't be able to run for all those yards. He doesn't have Vick's speed.

I am sorry, but is this your perception of proof?

He has a questionable work ethic and intangibles? Who told you that? http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls10/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=5993420

I guess his teammates and coaches are liars then. But we all know you have inside info that not even his coaches and teammates have about him. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, this must be a major news network that I logged onto where opinion is perpetrated as fact. I'll be on my way.

Sorry, that was my odd way of agreeing with you.

Edited by MattyT

Even you have to admit, Nix's design of the team thus far has been less than stellar. Picking Spiller was a huge blunder (though I know I'm in the minority on that), failing to seriously address the OL in FA or the draft, other than Moats, his first draft class seems suspect at best. Easley could be good, Spiller will turn out to be decent, Moats I think will be an overachiever his whole career (in a good way) but outside of those three, I'm not holding my breath.

This is a crucial draft for the Bills. They have the ability to get three or four playmakers on Offense and/or Defense. I have no choice but to hope for the best, but so far Nix has been a huge disappointment.

Well.....while we are slamming Nix lets make sure to include the WHOLE draft......

- Spiller....yep huge blunder after one year

- Troupe......looks like Nix addressed line here

- Carrington......looks like Nix addressed line here

- Moates, Batten, Easley......jury is still out

Maybe just maybe we can give a new guy more then one year to put his stamp on a team? I didn't like how little we did in free agency but if you subscribe to the theory that they needed to PURGE this team and hit rock bottom before they could truly get better then free agents this year would have just been bandaids that would have put us right where we have been....in the 7-9 and 8-8 area

Lets see what Nix can do with a offseason of knowing what he he's got....a top 3 pick to work with.....a draft of players that are a year older....etc etc

I cant believe anyone would even knock Nix at this point.....

PTR

Agreed that OP is absurd, but it is PERFECTLY REASONABLE to worry about Grampy Nix. On the pro personnel side, Cornell Green at $3 M per year was a disaster in excess of any committed by John Guy. And Davis and Edwards were hardly good finds.

The draft side was almost as troubling.

Hopefully Spiller improves, but it was scary as hell to watch him try to bounce it to the outside on runs. Without major adjustments, his game is not going to translate at the NFL level.

Even if he worked out, taking Spiller was a luxury pick like a Felix Jones/Chris Johnson selection that should not be made before #21 overall and certainly not by a team with this many holes to fill.

The second round selection of Troup was deeply troubling, given his size and pedigree. Why not native Gronkowski there, or a NT better fit for the scheme, or to pair with penetrating Kyle Williams?

Good thing rookies get more than one year contracts I guess. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Polian

On February 7, 1985, Bills general manager Terry Bledsoe suffered a heart attack and Polian was named along with director of scouting Norm Pollom to handle contract negotiations in Bledsoe's absence. Polian was instrumental in the signing of Bruce Smith to his first NFL contract. This impressed the Bills' hierarchy enough to warrant a promotion to GM, after the firing of Bledsoe, in 1985. The fans were not impressed with the promotion of Polian however. Most observers considered the move business as usual, on a 2-14 team.

I would have loved to see some of the trashing of Polian after his 2-14 season. Who says patience is a virtue?

Cam Newton is the next Gary Coleman.

Now the team couldn't win on the arm of just one man.

The right QB for you, may not be right for some.

A man is born, he's a man named Doug.

Then along came ROJO, he's got the talent, but he's green!

It takes different QB's for the team to win yes it does.

It takes different QB's for the team to win. Oooooooh!

because of newtons size, say he doesnt work out as a qb. i would be willing to bet that he would be a great te. at 6'6 250 and speed, how could he not, especially with his ability to sense what a qb would be thinking. it is not uncommon for qbs to be drafted as wr. hell if tebow was at one time thought of as a hb, why not. also just a thought, running the wildcat with a guy that big and physical makes him a legitimate recieving threat, not just show like when trent lined up outside.

i am not advoacting any of this, but because of his build, and athleticism, he is a utilitarian player. i am betting he could make just about any roster at a different position

the one thing everyone says about Buddy is he is a great evaluater of talent. With the number three pick he will not screw it up .

the one thing everyone says about Buddy is he is a great evaluater of talent. With the number three pick he will not screw it up .

He screwed up the first round last year. The only move that I give Nix credit for is hiring Gailey. I think Gailey is an excellent offensive mind. Unfortunately Gailey and Nix are responsible for hiring for a very poor hire for defensive coordinator