Official Shanahan Thread

The $40 million figure you cited is very bogus. He is going to make $3.5 million this year with a $250,000 bonus. He is basically on a year to year deal. If the Skins decide to trade or release him they don't have to pay him. Odds are the team will prefer to go in another direction and will have no financial obligations with respect to him. Your posting of $40 M contract is grossly inaccurate.

The below figures are not close to your fictitious figures.

• 2010: $3.5 million signing bonus/$250,000 if active eight games

• 2011: $10 million option bonus/$2.5 million salary/$750,000 if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

• 2012: $12.75 million salary/$750,000 if active 16 games/$250,000 workout/$2 million possible playoff incentives

So why extend a guy you're going to bench?

PTR

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why extend a guy you're going to bench?

PTR

His contract is basically a year to year contract. They extended his contract (on a year to year basis) because they wanted to make sure they had a qb on board if there was a lockout and a potentially brief training camp. They simply wanted to cover that position just in case.

There is no doubt that they are dissatisfied with his performance. They took a calculated risk and so far it hasn't worked out. They never expected DM to be a longterm solution at qb. He was basically a bridge qb for the next prospect.

Jay Glazer reported that Donovan McNabb and Rex Grossman were splitting first team snaps in practice last week.

Chris Mortensen hears that there's a chance that Grossman starts this Sunday against Dallas.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

At 1;00 pm on the NFL Channel, Coach Shannahan held a news conference and indicated that McNabb is now their third string QB for the rest of the season. He said that since his team is mathematically out of the playoffs, he wants to see whathis other guys can do in a game situation, to plan for next year.

I wonder what the fan reaction would be if Buffalo did the same thing. I know some of you have suggested that regarding a few positions on the team. What is your opinion?

Edited by BillsfaninFl

Well Bills Fans, it could be worse, we could be Redskins (or should I say Deadskins) fans. Strong;y rumored this week to be sitting down the QB (Donavan McNabb) that you gave up a 2 & 3 draft choice for Rex "Freakin" Grossman. This is as disfunctional a franchise as there is in the league. Example #2 - Give $21 million to a player who doesn't give a crap and is suspended for the last 4 games of the year.

There is hope yet for the Bills -- a team that makes them look good.

Well Bills Fans, it could be worse, we could be Redskins (or should I say Deadskins) fans. Strong;y rumored this week to be sitting down the QB (Donavan McNabb) that you gave up a 2 & 3 draft choice for Rex "Freakin" Grossman. This is as disfunctional a franchise as there is in the league. Example #2 - Give $21 million to a player who doesn't give a crap and is suspended for the last 4 games of the year.

There is hope yet for the Bills -- a team that makes them look good.

Redskins-5 wins

Bills-3 wins

??????????

It is bad in Washington, but until we start winning more games than they do, and have an owner that even though he gets in the way, doesn't have a padlock on his wallet and is willing to do whatever it takes to win, nobody in their right mind can say it is worse. We gave up a first and other picks for J.P. Losman. Traded a first round pick for Rob Johnson that turned out to be Fred Taylor. Gave up a first for Drew Bledsoe (that one isn't as bad, they dumped him too early). If D.C. was worse, why would Shanahan go there and not even entertain coming here no matter the salary? The answer-ownership, plain and simple.

Edited by billsfreak

Redskins-5 wins

Bills-3 wins

??????????

It is bad in Washington, but until we start winning more games than they do, and have an owner that even though he gets in the way, doesn't have a padlock on his wallet and is willing to do whatever it takes to win, nobody in their right mind can say it is worse. We gave up a first and other picks for J.P. Losman. Traded a first round pick for Rob Johnson that turned out to be Fred Taylor. Gave up a first for Drew Bledsoe (that one isn't as bad, they dumped him too early). If D.C. was worse, why would Shanahan go there and not even entertain coming here no matter the salary? The answer-ownership, plain and simple.

That is simply not the way to assess this situation. Neither team is going to the playoffs by a mile, so we're on even ground there...

From that point on everything is measured relative to the indicators for the future:

-- Are you getting stronger/better during the course of the season and finishing solid (we'll get the final answer on that in the next 3 weeks)

-- Do you have you have the coach for foreseeable future?

-- Do you have your QB for the foreseeable future?

-- How many new starters are you away from contending?

.... plus others I can't think of at the moment

On both qualitative questions and measurable football metrics we've improved each quarter of the season so far, while the Redskins clearly have gotten worse, despite the high priced coach of the year and the big pro-bowl, possible hall of famer QB that several wanted us trading for

The original poster is correct...

At 1;00 pm on the NFL Channel, Coach Shannahan held a news conference and indicated that McNabb is now their third string QB for the rest of the season. He said that since his team is mathematically out of the playoffs, he wants to see whathis other guys can do in a game situation, to plan for next year.

I wonder what the fan reaction would be if Buffalo did the same thing. I know some of you have suggested that regarding a few positions on the team. What is your opinion?

Fitz looks to be the starter going forward, so the Bills are doing the right thing. However Grossman is a schlub and starting him is dumb. Then again, John Beck is even more of a schlub so I guess it doesn't really matter. Which makes not finding a QB to groom the worst decision by Shanahan so far.

Redskins-5 wins

Bills-3 wins

??????????

The Bills would have 5 wins at least with the Redskins' schedule. But the Redskins had playoff hopes going into this season. The Bills were just supposed to be in the first year of rebuilding.

The Bills would have 5 wins at least with the Redskins' schedule. But the Redskins had playoff hopes going into this season. The Bills were just supposed to be in the first year of rebuilding.

No they didn't they were worse than us last season. They had Dallas, Giants and Eagles that were all expecte to be in the playoff hunt with the skins hoping to win 4 total. They've exceeded what they expected this year and they've done so with a lot more injuries.

Redskins-5 wins

Bills-3 wins

??????????

Jeebuz, do you read your own posts?

PTR

No they didn't they were worse than us last season. They had Dallas, Giants and Eagles that were all expecte to be in the playoff hunt with the skins hoping to win 4 total. They've exceeded what they expected this year and they've done so with a lot more injuries.

So the expectations after adding Shanahan, already having Haynesworth, drafting in the top-5, and trading for McNabb (which was supposed to have weakened the Eagles), were that they weren't going to contend for a playoff spot? Not quite.

So the expectations after adding Shanahan, already having Haynesworth, drafting in the top-5, and trading for McNabb (which was supposed to have weakened the Eagles), were that they weren't going to contend for a playoff spot? Not quite.

Go look it up. They were picked last in that division by everyone.

The Bills haters have to be contortionists to spin what's going on in DC as somehow better than what is going on in Buffalo. They could work for BP.

PTR

The Bills haters have to be contortionists to spin what's going on in DC as somehow better than what is going on in Buffalo. They could work for BP.

I don't know if I'd call them Bills haters so much as Bills bitchers, but I agree with your other point. I'm sure these same ones would be ready to ride Shanahan out on a rail if he were the coach of the Bills and the Bills were in the same situation as the Redskins.

His contract is basically a year to year contract. They extended his contract (on a year to year basis) because they wanted to make sure they had a qb on board if there was a lockout and a potentially brief training camp. They simply wanted to cover that position just in case.

There is no doubt that they are dissatisfied with his performance. They took a calculated risk and so far it hasn't worked out. They never expected DM to be a longterm solution at qb. He was basically a bridge qb for the next prospect.

Who does Washington have at the skill positions? Not hardly enough for an elite quarterback like McNabb, and it shows. I blame the Redskins lack of front office ability and talent while the coach does a miserable job. I hope he goes to Arizona where he can lead a quality team to victories, a team that badly needs a quarterback.

Anthony Armstrong? An old Santana Moss? Shanahan has a poor history of working without a ready-made team, and so yet again he fails.

Mike Shanahan is looking a lot like that guy in Denver. An ego maniac making one bad decision after another.

Shanahan won two suberbowls but both were off the coattails of Terrell Davis and John Elway. One thing not to overlook is Shanahan has a shaky record in drafting and in player personnel, most notably in his later years in Denver. I am happy with Nix and Gailey and stoked we saved money and our future on the 10 MILLION dollar man. The DeadSkins are the laughing stock of the league right now.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Who does Washington have at the skill positions? Not hardly enough for an elite quarterback like McNabb, and it shows. I blame the Redskins lack of front office ability and talent while the coach does a miserable job. I hope he goes to Arizona where he can lead a quality team to victories, a team that badly needs a quarterback.

Anthony Armstrong? An old Santana Moss? Shanahan has a poor history of working without a ready-made team, and so yet again he fails.

I don't solely blame DM for his miserable season. As you noted he is playing on an offense with bad receivers and poor OL play. In addition, he is playing in an offensive scheme that doesn't fit him. The Shanahan, father and son, offense is a precise passing scheme which doesn't suit DM's skill set. Where will McNabb end up next season? He could end up in Arizona where he has a home or he can maybe end up in Minnesota.

From what I have seen of him this year his skills have measurably eroded. He seems to be a shadow of what he once was. Maybe a fresh start away from the turmoil of a rebuilding franchise will do a lot to revive his career?

McNabb did have some good results earlier in his career with a mediocre cast of receivers:

Yes but in his early years in Philly, McNabb's top receivers were Todd Pinkston, Greg Lewis, and James Thrash. They were considered a terrible receiving corps yet McNabb and Reid were able to get great productivity out of them.

Judging by the ongoing excellence in Philly's offense, I have to say that I've come to the conclusion that Andy Reid is a better football coach than Mike Shanahan. The two Super Bowls that Shanny was a part of might make it appear otherwise, but looking carefully at their records, Reid is climbing the ladder of coaching greats while Shanny is falling.

Redskins-5 wins

Bills-3 wins

??????????

Some thoughts from the Washington Post on the owner's impact on the 'Skins: "In the last eight years the Redskins have traded away 22 draft picks for high-priced free agents, most of whom were busts."

It's hard to overstate the reverberating effects of those lost drafts, and the pressure they still create today, on the field. The Redskins have pressing needs at offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, secondary, wide receiver and running back. Name another team in the NFL with that many downright needs. And they have exactly seven draft picks."

"As this so-called rebuilding season wears on, it becomes more apparent each day just how much damage owner Dan Snyder and his playmate Vinny Cerrato truly did with their Toys R Us buying sprees."

However, the columnis inexplicably goes on to polish Shanahan's knob by saying what a wonderful evaluator of talent he is.

Some thoughts from the Washington Post on the owner's impact on the 'Skins: "In the last eight years the Redskins have traded away 22 draft picks for high-priced free agents, most of whom were busts."

However, the columnist inexplicably goes on to polish Shanahan's knob by saying what a wonderful evaluator of talent he is.

"Wonderful evaluator of talent?" Wonder if the writer was just trying to stay in Shanny's good graces…didn't want to jeopardize his access maybe?

Shanahan has kept up the Redskins trend of mortgaging the future for the present.

In trading for McNabb, Shanny sent their 2nd rounder (37th overall) in the 2010 draft to Philadelphia. That pick turned into Nate Allen who is now the Eagles starting free safety as a rookie and won NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month for September.

Philly also gets a 3rd or 4th rounder in next year's draft. That's a helluva lot to pay for a "bridge quarterback." Yeah. No. How much did our bridge quarterback cost and how is he playing? Which organization looks a helluva lot more shrewd?

And to those who are arguing that Washington has more wins than the Bills, well that's true.

It's also true that the Bills are 3-3 in their last six games and the Redskins are 1-5.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

"Wonderful evaluator of talent?" Wonder if the writer was just trying to stay in Shanny's good graces…didn't want to jeopardize his access maybe?

Shanahan has kept up the Redskins trend of mortgaging the future for the present.

In trading for McNabb, Shanny sent their 2nd rounder (37th overall) in the 2010 draft to Philadelphia. That pick turned into Nate Allen who is now the Eagles starting free safety as a rookie and won NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month for September.

Philly also gets a 3rd or 4th rounder in next year's draft. That's a helluva lot to pay for a "bridge quarterback." Yeah. No. How much did our bridge quarterback cost and how is he playing? Which organization looks a helluva lot more shrewd?

And to those who are arguing that Washington has more wins than the Bills, well that's true.

It's also true that the Bills are 3-3 in their last six games and the Redskins are 1-5.

Excellent post. It was more of the same in Washington this year. The teams are trending in different directions right now and Shanahan has lost control of the team with his antics. Gailey has his team following quite nicely. I am quite happy he is in DC and not Buffalo. As for the ultimate results of rebuilding efforts in both cities, we will see, but my bet is the Bills are better next year than the Skins by a clear margin.

Watching the Redskins implode on national television this week has been rather fun to watch, in a twisted sort of way.

It seems like an eternity since the first pre-season game when the Redskins routed the Bills - that's when the national media had Donovan McNabb as the league MVP and Shanahan was Coach of the Year, and of course, the Redskins were favorites to win the Super Bowl. At least that's the impression you got watching ESPN and the talking heads after the game. Moreover, the Bills looked like a badly coached JV team that night - Gailey even admitted he was slow on the play calling, not ready for the speed of things.

But four months later, which team is going in the right direction? Which team has more promise? Which team is more fun to root for?

The Bills get a lot of well-earned crap from the national media, but honestly, has there been a more dysfunctional team/organization in the NFL over the last 5-6 years than the Redskins?

Who would you rather have as your coach right now: the arrogant Shanahan, or the mad offensive genius of your funny looking old uncle Chan? Or who would you rather have as your QB, the bewildered NcNabb, or the Harvard MBA-type guy dissecting defenses like it’s a first year Biology lab?

In comparing where the two teams have gone since August, I'll take the Bill direction, no contest!

GO BILLS!!!

I hate to say it, but they are better off than the bills. Shanahan is a very good coach, and they have a very good GM. With that leadership in place, they will spend money the right way and should be good soon. In addition, they already have more wins than they had last year. There is some garbage however, that needs to be removed from that team.

I hate to say it, but they are better off than the bills. Shanahan is a very good coach, and they have a very good GM. With that leadership in place, they will spend money the right way and should be good soon. In addition, they already have more wins than they had last year. There is some garbage however, that needs to be removed from that team.

Shanahan is a good coach??? Maybe when he's not running his veteran players under the bus, or when he had John Elway. Elway really helped Shanny prove his "genius."

The bolded: You are right. Washington always makes great FA moves. In fact the only team that ever rivaled them was The Broncos, when Shanny had the ckeckbook. I am almost scared for the rest of the league to see what they do.

Also, they already have their franchise QB in Grossman, and all we have is a proven backup.

You are so right.

Edited by Beebe's Kid

Watching the Redskins implode on national television this week has been rather fun to watch, in a twisted sort of way.

It seems like an eternity since the first pre-season game when the Redskins routed the Bills - that's when the national media had Donovan McNabb as the league MVP and Shanahan was Coach of the Year, and of course, the Redskins were favorites to win the Super Bowl. At least that's the impression you got watching ESPN and the talking heads after the game. Moreover, the Bills looked like a badly coached JV team that night - Gailey even admitted he was slow on the play calling, not ready for the speed of things.

But four months later, which team is going in the right direction? Which team has more promise? Which team is more fun to root for?

The Bills get a lot of well-earned crap from the national media, but honestly, has there been a more dysfunctional team/organization in the NFL over the last 5-6 years than the Redskins?

Who would you rather have as your coach right now: the arrogant Shanahan, or the mad offensive genius of your funny looking old uncle Chan? Or who would you rather have as your QB, the bewildered NcNabb, or the Harvard MBA-type guy dissecting defenses like it’s a first year Biology lab?

In comparing where the two teams have gone since August, I'll take the Bill direction, no contest!

GO BILLS!!!

Well, none of us know the future.

I say that because the Bills and Redskins have been mirror images of each other this past decade. In just about everything except the owners. Snyder throws money at everything, while Ralphie likes to hide when it comes time to pay.

Other than that, both teams have had the same luck with failed high draft picks (Malcolm Kelly, anyone?) and busted free agents (Haynesworth, McNabb, Dockery II). Both teams have suffered through inept coaching (Jauron's bungling game management, Gibbs' calling 2 consecutive time outs in the Bills game a couple of years ago). Both teams have had horrible front office personnel (Vinny Cerrato must have had pictures on people to even be employed in the NFL, Donahoe is still a dufus, Levy tarnished his luster, and Brandon is not even worth the effort it takes to fart). Every year, both teams promise gold, but deliver arsenic.

Which is why I still don't understand the bone-heads on this site who constantly trumpet the supposed value of "name" coaches and "name players". Names don't win championships.

But this is far from over. Allen and Shanahan are intriguing. I think that they will create a competitive team in Washington. What I find amazing is how all of the preseason "experts" were convinced Washington was going to explode (just where is Gruden, these days?), now have to face the reality that they ain't there yet.

What also has surprised me is the way that the Bills have completely turned it around after the bye. It is a 100% different team.

I intend to keep comparing the two teams (Bills and Redskins) for the next couple of years, as I find it an interesting comparison between the value of names (Shanahan, Allen), versus solid football men (Gailey, Nix). In 3-5 years time, I wonder who will be the better squad.

I don't really care about the Redskins demise but your three questions are good ones. For the first time in a very long time I actually feel like there is a plan at One Bills Drive. Hope is bears fruit over the next few years.

Gibbs calling the 2nd timeout had no effect, since Lindell nailed the FG the 1st time he kicked it.

I know it didn't work out for him in his last stint in DC but Gibbs is one the better coaches in NFL history, winning superbowls with three different QBs. Personally I love it when teams blow big money and still suck.

Remember last winter when Shanahan came to Buffalo to interview for the coaching job? Then he went on to D.C. to interview there. I remember several posters whining about our "losing" Shanahan and oh, the Bills are so pathetic that and that's why he "rejected" Buffalo. Well, maybe the Bills braintrust rejected him. Who confirmed the "He rejected Buffalo" side of it. Or was that media perception?

My main point is, though, look at the mess he's made in D.C. and the direction the two teams are going in. Can Shanahan have very much support of the players after these two McNabb incidents? And all along the way has been the Haynesworth headache. But Chan has the Bills moving in the right direction. Players are still out there playeing hard and competitive (the Minnesota game not withstanding.) And Chan has had much less talent overall to work with. We can look forward to the offseason acquisitions and next season. I have no idea what Redskins fans can look forward to.

:censored: Shanahan, and the horse he rode in on. First he :censored: ed up the Broncos (they sucked in the AFC's suckiest division), now he's :censored: ed up the Redskins. While I'm ecstatic that he was able to swindle idiot-owner Dan Synder out of $$$millions$$$, I was never a fan and never wanted him here in Buffalo.

I was much more in favor of...

Mike Leach

Remember last winter when Shanahan came to Buffalo to interview for the coaching job? Then he went on to D.C. to interview there. I remember several posters whining about our "losing" Shanahan and oh, the Bills are so pathetic that and that's why he "rejected" Buffalo. Well, maybe the Bills braintrust rejected him. Who confirmed the "He rejected Buffalo" side of it. Or was that media perception?

My main point is, though, look at the mess he's made in D.C. and the direction the two teams are going in. Can Shanahan have very much support of the players after these two McNabb incidents? And all along the way has been the Haynesworth headache. But Chan has the Bills moving in the right direction. Players are still out there playeing hard and competitive (the Minnesota game not withstanding.) And Chan has had much less talent overall to work with. We can look forward to the offseason acquisitions and next season. I have no idea what Redskins fans can look forward to.

Correction. Shanahan couldn't be bothered to come to Buffalo to interview for the job. Russ Brandon had to fly out to Denver to meet with him. I wanted Shanahan until that happened and wasn't surprised when he rejected the Bills, not vice versa. Each owner had his issues, but Snyder had the deeper pockets so that's where Shanahan went. And it's not working out so hot, and a large part of that blame goes to Shanahan.

Try "search" function.

he :censored: ed up the Broncos (they sucked in the AFC's suckiest division), now he's :censored: ed up the Redskins.

A) He won two Super Bowls with the Broncos

B) The Redskins were effed up long before he got there.

I have no doubt the guy is a class-A ego maniac jerk, but let's not rewrite history.