Official Shanahan Thread

McNabb overrated (by many).

Andy Reid is showing that he can make any QB look good. Reid may be a bad game day coach be he preps n offense and QB better than you may see.

The offensive talent on Philly is worlds better than Washington. The Skins might have the worst receiving core in the NFL. They have also have a terrible oline and have used 37 crappy running backs this year. They severely failed McNabb in putting talent around him. They are a very talentless football team.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The offensive talent on Philly is worlds better than Washington. The Skins might have the worst receiving core in the NFL. They have also have a terrible oline and have used 37 crappy running backs this year. They severely failed McNabb in putting talent around him. They are a very talentless football team.

Yes but in his early years in Philly, McNabb's top receivers were Todd Pinkston, Greg Lewis, and James Thrash. They were considered a terrible receiving corps yet McNabb and Reid were able to get great productivity out of them.

You might be a little too close to the action, John. The Redskins are considered to be a mess right now. NFL.com even did a piece on it yesterday. Their big FA acquisition, Donovan McNabb, turned out to be a huge bust and they have no plan B at QB (Grossman? LMMFAO!) outside of having to draft one next year, and their scoring offense is ranked worse than it was last year. And Shanahan's move to the 3-4 alienated the already-diva-like Haynesworth and proved to be a disaster. Maybe things will look better next year (assuming there's a season), but with the Giants and Eagles being strong and usually splitting with Dallas, it's not looking good.

The Redskins did the exact same thing that the Bills did. They changed their defensive scheme before they got enough players in place to staff the different scheme. Eventually, they will do what the Bills will also do, acquire players more suited to the scheme.

The McNabb trade hasn't worked out too well so far. So what. It really wasn't a long term maneuver. There is a number of reasons why McNabb hasn't played well so far that have little to do with him. Their OL has not played well and their receiver corps is atrocious.

Mike Shanahan inherited the Haynesworth mess. Changing the scheme certainly alienated the fat slop lazy arse dorkhead. This strongwilled HC took on the narcisstic DT and did what he had to do: Got rid of him for insubordination. The outcome was inevitable. Everyone knew that almost from the start.

You are correct that the Skins are still quite aways from challenging the Giants and Eagles. But not as far away as the Bills are from challenging the Patriots.

As I stated in prior postings both the Bills and the Skins are in a rebuilding mode. It is going to take years before the situation gets settled for each team. There are many people who are chortling at the challenges that the Skins have been subjected to this year. What so many people forget is that is part of the process of any rebuilding team.

Edited by JohnC

The 'Skins decade of mediocrity can be traced directly to the owner. This column (link below) does a good job of describing how the owner and his "Toys R Us" mentality has damaged the team: "In the last eight years the Redskins have traded away 22 draft picks for high-priced free agents, most of whom were busts." (in an tangential matter, I wish the Post has columnists as good as this, instead of Sully.)

In Shanahan's defense, however, I've come to the conclusion that the nearly season-long melodrama between Shanahan and Fat Albert Haynesworth really was not about Fat Albert. Rather, it was Shanahan's way of telling Danny Snyder to keep his nose out of personnel decisions. If that's the case, then I have to give props to Shanahan for giving a big F-you to the owner.

WaPo column

Shanahan use tactics of a high school coach and then conveniently leaks information to the media to support his cause.

If Shanahan wants to make the team better he can start by bringing in a real OC, someone that really knows how to call plays.

The offense will not get better until that happens. Extremely happy the Bills did not go in that direction.

Shanahan should be able to get production out of anyone on offense. Again there is no excuse for the Redskins' offensive performance to date.

Yes there is an excuse....Kyle Shanahan, he sucks.

The Redskins did the exact same thing that the Bills did. They changed their defensive scheme before they got enough players in place to staff the different scheme. Eventually, they will do what the Bills will also do, acquire players more suited to the scheme.

The McNabb trade hasn't worked out too well so far. So what. It really wasn't a long term maneuver. There is a number of reasons why McNabb hasn't played well so far that have little to do with him. Their OL has not played well and their receiver corps is atrocious.

Mike Shanahan inherited the Haynesworth mess. Changing the scheme certainly alienated the fat slop lazy arse dorkhead. This strongwilled HC took on the narcisstic DT and did what he had to do: Got rid of him for insubordination. The outcome was inevitable. Everyone knew that almost from the start.

You are correct that the Skins are still quite aways from challenging the Giants and Eagles. But not as far away as the Bills are from challenging the Patriots.

As I stated in prior postings both the Bills and the Skins are in a rebuilding mode. It is going to take years before the situation gets settled for each team. There are many people who are chortling at the challenges that the Skins have been subjected to this year. What so many people forget is that is part of the process of any rebuilding team.

If McNabb wasn't a long-term maneuver (meaning 2-3 years), I don't get what it was. I doubt he was supposed to be a mentor for Rex Grossman. Maybe a rookie in 2011, but they had no idea where they would pick/who would be available and a rookie would take a couple years to develop.

Sure Haynesworth was a mess, but he would have been a lot LESS of a mess if Shanahan had stuck to the 4-3. No doubt he wanted to send a message to Fat Albert, but it backfired.

Don't kid yourself. The Redskins are no closer to the Giants and Eagles than the Bills are to the Patriots.

Sure both teams are rebuilding, but Shanahan now has to find a QB. And WR's. As well as pieces to the 3-4, if he wants to stick with it.

Shanahan use tactics of a high school coach and then conveniently leaks information to the media to support his cause.

If Shanahan wants to make the team better he can start by bringing in a real OC, someone that really knows how to call plays.

The offense will not get better until that happens. Extremely happy the Bills did not go in that direction.

I wasn't defending Shanahan nor his management techniques. The column I mentioned pointed out (correctly) that the 'Skins problems began percolating a decade ago when Danny Snyder and his "fantasy league" mentality took over the team. I was saying that Shanahan used Fat Albert (who was wooed by Snyder) to make a point, and that point was for Snyder to stay out of personnel decisions. (It didn't hurt that Fat Albert was totally unmotivated after signing that obscene contract.) If that is the case, then I comment Shanahan for having a big set of stones to tell the owner to butt out. That said, I hope the Skins suck till the end of time.

If McNabb wasn't a long-term maneuver (meaning 2-3 years), I don't get what it was. I doubt he was supposed to be a mentor for Rex Grossman. Maybe a rookie in 2011, but they had no idea where they would pick/who would be available and a rookie would take a couple years to develop.

The McNabb deal was never intended to be a long term deal. He was a bridge qb until they can get a prospect on the roster to develop. As I and others stated there are a number of reasons why McNabb has struggled. Poor OL play and less than mediocre receivers have hurt his productivity.

Sure Haynesworth was a mess, but he would have been a lot LESS of a mess if Shanahan had stuck to the 4-3. No doubt he wanted to send a message to Fat Albert, but it backfired.

It was Fat Albert who sent the message to the HC. It was that he didn't give a shiiiiiit. There is no excuse for his disgraceful behavior. The major problem with Fat AB had less to do with the type of defense compared to his slackard attitude. It was very predictable that there was going to be clashes between the two. The HC was very dedicated to winning while the narcisstic player was dedicated to himself.

Don't kid yourself. The Redskins are no closer to the Giants and Eagles than the Bills are to the Patriots.

If you look at the caliber of ownership and organization between the Bills and the Pats it is safe to say that they are universes apart.

Both teams are rebuilding, but Shanahan now has to find a QB. And WR's. As well as pieces to the 3-4, if he wants to stick with it.

Both the Bills and the Skins are in a major rebuilding mode. It is going to take time and effort. There are no quick fixes for either respective organizations.

It is humorous how you strenuously rationalize the generational mediocrity of the Bills by pointing out the mediocrity of another franchise. I just don't see the connection.

The McNabb deal was never intended to be a long term deal. He was a bridge qb until they can get a prospect on the roster to develop. As I and others stated there are a number of reasons why McNabb has struggled. Poor OL play and less than mediocre receivers have hurt his productivity.

It was Fat Albert who sent the message to the HC. It was that he didn't give a shiiiiiit. There is no excuse for his disgraceful behavior. The major problem with Fat AB had less to do with the type of defense compared to his slackard attitude. It was very predictable that there was going to be clashes between the two. The HC was very dedicated to winning while the narcisstic player was dedicated to himself.

If you look at the caliber of ownership and organization between the Bills and the Pats it is safe to say that they are universes apart.

Both the Bills and the Skins are in a major rebuilding mode. It is going to take time and effort. There are no quick fixes for either respective organizations.

It is humorous how you strenuously rationalize the generational mediocrity of the Bills by pointing out the mediocrity of another franchise. I just don't see the connection.

The most immediate connection is that the Bills were interested in Shanahan, but he showed his interest by making them come to him. And judging by his performance in Washington, he would have done no better, if not worse, in Buffalo. Beyond that, I've often said that spending money doesn't guarantee anything. I'm curious to see whether a high-priced/name HC/GM combo in Washington will accomplish anything.

But this was the head coach we had to have! No Super Bowl without Shanny! (or Cowher) We were dooooomed, remember? The guy has two rings! He's an offensive genius! All I can say is thank you Mrs. Shanahan! Hope you enjoy the cherry blossoms when they bloom.

PTR

The coach many of us "had to have" was Cowher. Shanny was intriguing but not a "had to have" guy.

Anyone still wish we'd hired Shanahan?

wow, just what I have been thinking whenever I hear anything that has to do with the redskins these days....

If this guy thinks Rex Grossman is the answer to anything, as a Bills coach he probably would have tried to bring back JP

We seriously dodged a bullet not ending up with this guy and landing Chan the Man...

Wow, never thought I would say that.

The owner more than inquired about Shanny. Team reps flew to Colorado to pursue him. Right from the start he made it clear he wasn't interested in the job. He didn't come to Buffalo to look into the job situation-the reps went to him.

Umm, am I mistaken or didn't Shanny spend an entire day in Orchard Park meeting with the Bills?

In any event, it's clear Shanny went for the perceived "easier" job in DC, and the one with greater financial rewards. At this point, I'm thrilled he did so.

Are you aware that it was the owner and his organization who aggressively pursued him? So if you want to be critical of his pursuit then criticize the owner. I never wanted him in Buffalo because I thought he was not a good fit for this organization or owner. To declare MS a failure in his first year of a rebuilding situation is like declaring Chan Gailey, involved in his own rebuilding process, a failure because the Bills presently have three wins. Neither premature assessments would make sense, at least to me.

Both organizations reeked with major systemic dysfunction. There is no quick fix for either organization. It is simply going to take time to right the ship for both teams.

Relax JohnC... this entire thread is just another Blo fan "Misery loves company" rant. Die hard bitter Bills fans just love wishing ill on other teams. It's the WNY inferiority complex manifesting itself through sports fandom. Just root for your own team guys. Although he lets his love for his childhood team get the best of him, At least Snyder is passionate about his team and tries to put together an exciting team and recruit the best available talent. Ralph just sits in Detroit and counts his money.

Yeah, Shanahan also cut punter Hunter Smith after he botched a hold on a field goal attempt by Graham Gano. I don't know if they've had issues with special teams but I do know that the field goal attempt came in a pouring rain and that the snap was high.

When they shots of him on the sidelines, Shanahan's head looks like it's gonna explode.

This McNabb drama on top of the Haynesworth drama, and the poor performance of the offensive coordinator, Shanahan's son, Kyle…Yet another bad year in Redskins land.

:worthy: SHAN SHAN SHAN ... give him all the millions he is demanding ... he will bring the best out in his players and deliver the best assistant coaches .... :wallbash: oh wait ... funny how a close examination of a "former Super Bowl coach" can show that they just don't seem to have that magical success when they move on. Can anyone say LUCKY and JOHN ELWAY?

Give me our CHAN over their SHAN any time. The ego's these coaches have who name their sons to have controlling power with their teams. Poor poor Dan Snyder has SHAN Squared and the Bills have a coach who seems to have his act together.

Even though our record isn't what we want ... you can see the forward movement and the coaching abilities blended with humility and honesty in Chan Gailey.

Oh, by the way ... some of the SHAN demanders for our Bills also were begging for Donovan too ... funny how things turn around.

The most immediate connection is that the Bills were interested in Shanahan, but he showed his interest by making them come to him. And judging by his performance in Washington, he would have done no better, if not worse, in Buffalo. Beyond that, I've often said that spending money doesn't guarantee anything. I'm curious to see whether a high-priced/name HC/GM combo in Washington will accomplish anything.

You are mischaracterizing what is going on under Allen/Shanahan regime. This new regime did not pursue high priced free agents in the offseason. They are taking a very old roster with expensive players such as Haynesworth and Portis and systematically purging them. Over the next year or two this team will get younger with fewer high profile free agent acquisitions.

And judging by his performance in Washington, he would have done no better, if not worse, in Buffalo.

Shanahan just took over last year. What ddid you expect in his first year of a rebuilding project? Miracles? The Bills have won 3 games so far in a concluding season. If you are going to be harsh in your view of the Washington project are you going to use the same standard for Gailey/Nix in their first year rebuilding project?

The rebuilding process takes time and a sound strategy. Declarations of success or failure at this point are a little premature.

Worse than 3 wins? How is his 3-4 defense worse than ours? We have the worst run defense in the league. Our pass defense is propped up in the rankings mainly because teams pass on us fewer times than any team in the league. We surrender more points than the Skins. They create more turnovers. Their passing game may suck, but they pass for more yards per game than we do.

Both HC's walked into bad teams. Shanahan hired his son (dumb move). CG hired a token OC and an ineffective nobody for DC--and that poor judgement has hurt a team that decided to go to a new defensive system, current roster be damned.

The problem for Shanahan is compounded by the public perception of his team (a huge national following) and his owner. The Skins, a once and, fairly recently, proud SB dynasty has very public failings due to their very high profile. So much more is expected from that team. Their flamboyant owner fails spectacularly and that makes everyone else feel good. The Bills owner is an absentee landlord who is rarely seen in public and likely is unknown by most of the football watching people in this country. The national image of the Bills and Buffalo is not quite that of the Skins and Washington, DC. When the Bills fail, it is expected. It is done mainly in obscurity as far as the rest of the nation is concerned. There is absolutely no pressure to win NOW (or even "next year")--even from the fan base, based on the comments on boards like this and the fact that the Bills still sell a lot of seats for meaningless games year after year.

My guess is that the rabid Skins fan, as much as he is going off on Shanahan, is not pining for our HC instead (assuming he even knows who our HC is).

It's the way of the world...

Relax JohnC... this entire thread is just another Blo fan "Misery loves company" rant. Die hard bitter Bills fans just love wishing ill on other teams. It's the WNY inferiority complex manifesting itself through sports fandom. Just root for your own team guys. Although he lets his love for his childhood team get the best of him, At least Snyder is passionate about his team and tries to put together an exciting team and recruit the best available talent. Ralph just sits in Detroit and counts his money.

Yep. There is an obvious reason why the Bills business cash flow is being kept in the black.

There is some schadenfreude going in this thread, for sure. Some people would have it that Shanahan has created all the problems in Washington (because he is on their target list apparently), but he inherited just as many headaches (more probably considering some of the characters on the Redskins roster) as did Gailey and has many of the exact same issues as well as some that are quite different. None of which means the Bills are better off than the Redskins; both organizations are just trying to figure out a way to climb out of the gutter that systemic dysfunction has thrown them in.

Was the Washington job really a "better situation"? Hmm. :)