Official Shanahan Thread

Correction. Shanahan couldn't be bothered to come to Buffalo to interview for the job. Russ Brandon had to fly out to Denver to meet with him. I wanted Shanahan until that happened and wasn't surprised when he rejected the Bills, not vice versa. Each owner had his issues, but Snyder had the deeper pockets so that's where Shanahan went. And it's not working out so hot, and a large part of that blame goes to Shanahan.

Did you expect him to rebuild a dysfunctional franchise in one year? Isn't it ironic that the HC in Buffalo decides to release his starting qb during the seasnon and hardly anyone notices? While the Skins' HC makes a determination that his starting qb is not suited for what he wants to do and basically cuts him from the team's future plans.

There is little difference between what is going on in Washington and Buffalo. The roster is being turned over. Washingting is garnering a lot of attention because it is a high profile franchise. Buffalo is garnering a little attention because it is mostly an irrelevant and invisible franchise.

Washington's record is 5-8. Buffalo's record is 3-10.

Edited by JohnC

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you expect him to rebuild a dysfunctional franchise in one year? Isn't it ironic that the HC in Buffalo decides to release his starting qb during the seasnon and hardly anyone notices? While the Skins' HC makes a determination that his starting qb is not suited for what he wants to do and basically cuts him from the team's future plans.

There is little difference between what is going on in Washington and Buffalo. The roster is being turned over. Washingting is garnering a lot of attention because it is a high profile franchise. Buffalo is garnering a little attention because it is mostly an irrelevant and invisible franchise.

Of course a big difference between Chan releasing Trent and Shanahan sitting Mcnabb is that Chan didn't trade multiple high draft picks for Trent this year and oversee him receiving a contract extension FOUR WEEKS AGO. I know the Skins structured the deal in a way they can still easily ditch him this off-season, but Shanahan, aka pocket napoleon, seems to be on tilt.

He's getting a pass for now based on his previous success, but if they do about the same next year as they did this year, more people will start talking about how he never won a playoff game after Elway left.

I first started questioning the genius of shanny when he shipped out Campbell. I wanted the Bills to trade for the guy, but figured once Shanahan got down there, there was no way he'd let him go. Seeing how he's done in Oak, I still wish the Bills had traded for Campbell as he was certainly worth the low future draft pick. And Shanahan is the worlds biggest moron if he is expecting to get more out of Rex gross.

Edited by DC Grid

Correction. Shanahan couldn't be bothered to come to Buffalo to interview for the job. Russ Brandon had to fly out to Denver to meet with him. I wanted Shanahan until that happened and wasn't surprised when he rejected the Bills, not vice versa. Each owner had his issues, but Snyder had the deeper pockets so that's where Shanahan went. And it's not working out so hot, and a large part of that blame goes to Shanahan.

Living in DC the insider stories are very clear about how he has destroyer locker room morale by treating Mr team McNabb, the same way he treatd Mr ME haynesworth. Not good.

The Bills are playing better football than the Redskins right now and I bet they'd beat them face to face. Other than the Minnesota debacle the Bills have outplayed the Redskins most of the season. They've lost 3 games in overtime over vastly superior competition.

Gailey is getting more out of less talent than Shanny and he's not making horrific decisions along the way. The Shanny/McNab situation is just idiotic and embarassing.

Who said Shanahan needed to rebuild the Skins? Their defense was ranked 10th in yards and 18th in points given up last year (and are now ranked last and 22nd). The better move would have been to stay with the 4-3 and add players to it, which would have also avoided the conflict with Haynesworth. The greater improvement should have come on offense, but as I said, it is ranked WORSE than last year, and given Shanahan's rep as an offensive genius and going out and getting McNabb, that is wholly inexcusable.

DC grid nailed the Trent versus McNabb thing. And he's right that getting rid of Campbell, who has far more potential than Grossman or Beck, was another mistake.

And sure Washington gets more attention. They're like the spoiled brat who also gets attention. But they're as irrelevant and invisible as the Bills when it comes to performance.

The Bills would have more than 5 wins if they had Washington's schedule. And the season isn't over yet.

Living in DC the insider stories are very clear about how he has destroyer locker room morale by treating Mr team McNabb, the same way he treatd Mr ME haynesworth. Not good.

John also lives in the DC area and says "ALL IS WELL!" when it comes to the Redskins. Go figure.

Edited by Doc

Who said Shanahan needed to rebuild the Skins? Their defense was ranked 10th in yards and 18th in points given up last year (and are now ranked last and 22nd). The better move would have been to stay with the 4-3 and add players to it, which would have also avoided the conflict with Haynesworth. The greater improvement should have come on offense, but as I said, it is ranked WORSE than last year, and given Shanahan's rep as an offensive genius and going out and getting McNabb, that is wholly inexcusable.

DC grid nailed the Trent versus McNabb thing. And he's right that getting rid of Campbell, who has far more potential than Grossman or Beck, was another mistake.

And sure Washington gets more attention. They're like the spoiled brat who also gets attention. But they're as irrelevant and invisible as the Bills when it comes to performance.

The Bills would have more than 5 wins if they had Washington's schedule. And the season isn't over yet.

John also lives in the DC area and says "ALL IS WELL!" when it comes to the Redskins. Go figure.

The offense may have "ranked" higher than last year, but in actual measured performance, it's better.

Anyway--very bizarre goings on with McNabb and Shanahan.

I CHALLENGE you to find an "ALL IS WELL" Redskin statement I have made. Fabricating is not an honorable endeavor. Shame on you.

The offense may have "ranked" higher than last year, but in actual measured performance, it's better.

True, the Skins are scoring more points this year than last. However so too is every other team. This year's worst offense is averaging 12.6 PPG, while last year it was 10.9. So the ranking means more.

I CHALLENGE you to find an "ALL IS WELL" Redskin statement I have made. Fabricating is not an honorable endeavor. Shame on you.

You seem to think they'll be fine, John. That's the only reason I can think of for why you would be defending them.

You seem to think they'll be fine, John. That's the only reason I can think of for why you would be defending them.

Is not agreeing with you that the Bills are better off than the Redskins, really "defending" the Redskins? It's pretty clear that JohnC is really saying neither the Bills nor the Redskins are in great shape.

I hate to say it, but they are better off than the bills. Shanahan is a very good coach, and they have a very good GM. With that leadership in place, they will spend money the right way and should be good soon. In addition, they already have more wins than they had last year. There is some garbage however, that needs to be removed from that team.

A) He won two Super Bowls with the Broncos

B) The Redskins were effed up long before he got there.

I have no doubt the guy is a class-A ego maniac jerk, but let's not rewrite history.

No one has to re-write history.

Elway carried Denver to 3 Super Bowl appearances before Shanahan arrived.

Shanahan worked for one of the best owners and organizations in the NFL.

Shanahan is overrated and his record post-Elway proves it.

In those 10 seasons after Elway retired, the Broncos made the playoffs 4 times. Their playoff record was 1-4.

After Elway retired, Shanahan won just one playoff game in 10 years.

In his last three seasons in Denver his teams were 24-24 and didn't make the playoffs. They could have made it in his final year but they lost to the Bills at home and at San Diego to squander their playoff spot.

The Bills are 3-3 in their last 6. Washington is 1-5.

There has been a loud group of Bills fans pointing out that the fact Gailey started the season with Trent Edwards as his quarterback causes them to have serious doubts about Gailey's fitness as coach. Gailey has not been given a free pass. But his later work has assuaged the concerns of most fans.

Moreover, the Bills didn't give Trent Edwards a contract extension less than one month before benching him like the Redskins did with McNabb.

And it's worse than that for the Redskins.

Shana-Dad benched McNabb late in the team's week 8 loss to Detroit saying that McNabb didn't know the offense well enough to run the two-minute offense and that he wasn't in good enough physical condition.

Then two weeks later he signed McNabb to the contract extension.

What's going on in D.C. is the very highest form of dysfunction…it's almost unprecedented.

Is not agreeing with you that the Bills are better off than the Redskins, really "defending" the Redskins? It's pretty clear that JohnC is really saying neither the Bills nor the Redskins are in great shape.

Yeah, I'd consider asking "how do you expect Shanahan to rebuild the Skins in one season?" and mentioning each team's record, while ignoring the mess he's made of them "defending Shanahan." But hey, I guess that's me.

Classic doc stuff: fabricate a quote, backtrack immediately ("you SEEM to think"), accuse someone pointing out factual opinions as a "defender" of X. Next you will be labelled a dirty Redskins fan.

So, since you noticed that the WORST team in the league has scored more this year than last, you've concluded that ALL teams are scoring more? That's very interesting use of stats, doc. How's the top team this year doing relative to last? The 10th?

I know you need to hear words spoken, doc. I've pointed out your concreteness many times over the years. But rest assured, I won't be calling JC a Redskins fan, lest he contort himself to the degree you've done with the Patriots.

And if you don't recognize the importance of ranking, I can't help you.

Edited by Doc

A) He won two Super Bowls with the Broncos

B) The Redskins were effed up long before he got there.

I have no doubt the guy is a class-A ego maniac jerk, but let's not rewrite history.

No doubt the 'skins were effed b4 ShineyMan got there - and it doesn't seem to be getting any better, or showing any sign thereof either. Which, BTW, is just fine - one a-hole (Snyfer) deserves another (Shanny).

As for his time in Denver, things seemed to spiral downward pretty quickly after Elway and Terrell Davis disappeared - one could argue that Shanahan merely built on what he inherited, much like Seifert in EssEff, of Switzer in Dallas.

Moreover, the Bills didn't give Trent Edwards a contract extension less than one month before benching him like the Redskins did with McNabb.

You are doing what many others are doing i.e. stating an inaccurate account of his contract status. His contract extension is meaningless. It is simply a year to year contract. When he is traded or released this offseason the Skins will have no further finanical obligation. That is a fact that many people on this board find difficult to comprehend.

The simple fact is that Shanahan made a very unpopular decision regarding McNabb, a gentleman and stellar person. From a football and organizational standpoint it was the right decision.

There is nothing bizarre going on with the NcNabb/Shanahan dynamic. After watching 13 games of in general mediocre play by his starter he decided to go in another direction. It was a tough public relations call but the right football call.

As you stated on prior postings the maneuvers in Washington get magnified because of its high profile owner and franchise compared to the sleepy absentee owner of the Bills and the less than league relevant franchise in western NY.

Last winter after Shanahan interviewed for the Bills coaching job & went to D.C. to interview for the job there, some posters were saying that he rejected the Bills job for this reason or for that and that we "blew it" again. Well, maybe the Bills braintrust detected something in him that others missed. Who confirmed the he rejected the Bills anyway? Or was that a media creation? Look at the mess he's created in Washington. The total mishandling of McNabb, twice, as well as all that Haynesworth headache. And with those situations as a backdrop, how much trust, really, do the players have in Shanahan now? I don't think he's looking so smart now.

So we have Chan here & look at the progression the team has made since midseason. The players are playing hard & enthusiastic in Dec. Chan has a whole lot less talent overall to work with, and we're winning ball games (save the Minnesota game.) The Bills have set up a nice foundation to build on for next season and beyond. What's "genious" Shanahan got going? A mess and lots of uncertainty the he has created. I don't know what happened to his thinking there in D.C., but he's lost a lot of class & credibility w/ me. Feel free to give opinions.