Not saying I want him but

C.Biscuit97

A few thoughts I had on Newton before drinking time.

1) I'm 30 and haven't been around as some others on this board. But Newton is the most dominate football player I have ever seen. Auburn was an 8-5 team last year and the only major change was Newton. He simply wins games.

2) I think the "one year wonder" gets throw out the window with Newton. He is dominating the conference most like NFL. Nick Saban is a douche but he is a great DC. He couldn't spot Newton.

3) There is a lot of talk about CN being just a running QB. He has over 2,500 yards passing, 28 tds, and is completing 67% of his passes. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232016

4) Say what you want to about "running QBs", but look up the winning %s on Vick, Vince Young, & Kordell Stewart. All won around 60% of the games they started.

5) We need a star. Besides Luck, Newton has the most star quality in this draft.

6) He would have the perfect teachers in Gailey and Fitz. Gailey has worked wonders with guys like Stewart, Fiedler, Thigpen, and now Fitz. Imagine him having Newton and Spiller to call plays with.

Also, Fitz could start next year while CN gets his feet wet doing wildcat. Levi Brown came out during camp and stated how much Fitz helped him during camp. He could be a great influence on Cam.

7) This league uses the spread offense more than ever. We use it a ton right now. Please tell me how a defense defends 4 receivers with a QB with 4.4 speed? I don't think you can. Plus in Buffalo with some of the extreme weather, you need a QB to make plays with his feet.

I understand the concerns people have with CN. Personally, I don't give a crap if he took money because the NCAA is the most backwards organization in the world. But the thought of passing on a QB who is a bigger, faster version of Tebow with better mechanics terrifies me. We need a star and it would be very hard for me to pass on this guy.

He certainly is an intriguing prospect, but I have my reservations about him. This is largely unsubstantiated, but he just reminds me of Vince Young on Steroids. That does not sit well with me. That being stated...I would not throw a tantrum if he somehow ended up in Buffalo. Problem is...he is shaping up to be a top 10 draft pick. I can't see us taking a developmental prospect that early in the draft. Our first pick this year must be someone who will step in and start from day one.

Listen i have seen Cam play in Altanta since High school. The kid is a legit player period! Most Major Programs Ga, Fla, Bama TEN Auburn Wanted him ALL except GA wanted him as a QB. Don't forget OKLA wanted him too. I have been a Bills Fan since the ol War Memorial days when I walked to the games from Glenwood Ave (East Side Baby) The Bills need players and play makers and if Cam is around when we can pull the card the we IMHO should jump at the chance. A year under and Chan/Fitz barring an injury add some special wrinkles to our O,

then get it done.

If not he will end up in Baltimore or Pittsburgh via a trade or DC Git it done

1) I'm 30 and haven't been around as some others on this board. But Newton is the most dominate football player I have ever seen. Auburn was an 8-5 team last year and the only major change was Newton. He simply wins games.

2) I think the "one year wonder" gets throw out the window with Newton. He is dominating the conference most like NFL. Nick Saban is a douche but he is a great DC. He couldn't spot Newton.

3) There is a lot of talk about CN being just a running QB. He has over 2,500 yards passing, 28 tds, and is completing 67% of his passes. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232016

4) Say what you want to about "running QBs", but look up the winning %s on Vick, Vince Young, & Kordell Stewart. All won around 60% of the games they started.

5) We need a star. Besides Luck, Newton has the most star quality in this draft.

6) He would have the perfect teachers in Gailey and Fitz. Gailey has worked wonders with guys like Stewart, Fiedler, Thigpen, and now Fitz. Imagine him having Newton and Spiller to call plays with.

Also, Fitz could start next year while CN gets his feet wet doing wildcat. Levi Brown came out during camp and stated how much Fitz helped him during camp. He could be a great influence on Cam.

7) This league uses the spread offense more than ever. We use it a ton right now. Please tell me how a defense defends 4 receivers with a QB with 4.4 speed? I don't think you can. Plus in Buffalo with some of the extreme weather, you need a QB to make plays with his feet.

I understand the concerns people have with CN. Personally, I don't give a crap if he took money because the NCAA is the most backwards organization in the world. But the thought of passing on a QB who is a bigger, faster version of Tebow with better mechanics terrifies me. We need a star and it would be very hard for me to pass on this guy.

It sure as hell sounds like you want him.

If we did take him, he'd be hard to keep on the bench. ('m not saying I'd be totally against it, but it would be 2 years in a row we have pretty darn good player(s) at a position and bench one of them for a rookie draft pick while a lot of other needs are there.

I'll see what he does against Oregon. But then again the Ducks don't have a very good defense.

Newton does sound like Vince Young Part II.

This is not an original thought, it was brought up in one of the other Cam Newton threads. But the thing that makes an NFL quarterback is all above the shoulders. VY singlehandedly beat USC didn't he? Michael Vick's athleticism is off the charts. Those guys won and succeeded on physical talent alone. None of that stuff means anything once you get to the NFL.

Does Newton have character or maturity? What do the recruiting issues surrounding Newton mean? Is he gonna be like Vick and take 5 years to mature? Vince Young's career is currently circling the drain. Young threw a hissy fit (again) when he was taken out of a game and not put back in…he threw his shoulder pads into the stands when leaving the field. Jeff Fisher put Young on IR after criticizing him in front of his teammates and the public. Almost none of his teammates stuck up for him.

I know Cam Newton is physically gifted but does he have the mental makeup to be an NFL quarterback? That is what I want to know.

He certainly is an intriguing prospect, but I have my reservations about him. This is largely unsubstantiated, but he just reminds me of Vince Young on Steroids. That does not sit well with me. That being stated...I would not throw a tantrum if he somehow ended up in Buffalo. Problem is...he is shaping up to be a top 10 draft pick. I can't see us taking a developmental prospect that early in the draft. Our first pick this year must be someone who will step in and start from day one.

The fact that we're in a total rebuild means just the opposite of your statement. If we were a player away from being a contender, your statement would be more valid. Since we're a lot of players away, if Buddy decides he's a franchise QB, this may be the best time to get one. I'd rather see us draft a QB who will sit at least part of next year & be our leader in the Super Bowl in 3 years, than get a LB, DE or RT who starts on opening day 2011, and still be a QB away from anything in 2013.

The fact that we're in a total rebuild means just the opposite of your statement. If we were a player away from being a contender, your statement would be more valid. Since we're a lot of players away, if Buddy decides he's a franchise QB, this may be the best time to get one. I'd rather see us draft a QB who will sit at least part of next year & be our leader in the Super Bowl in 3 years, than get a LB, DE or RT who starts on opening day 2011, and still be a QB away from anything in 2013.

I guess our opinions differ with regard to where this team stands. I don't really see us in "total rebuild mode." In fact, with the right additions on the defensive side of the ball, I could see us being very competitive next year. We have proven that we can hold our own offensively, and we have a talented, young core of players on that side of the ball. Adding a beastly run stopper like Fairley, and a couple solid linebackers through the draft and free-agency, and suddenly we could have a much improved defense.

With so much defensive talent in the front end of this draft, why reach on a QB who is likely going to ride the pine next season. If Fitz doesn't work out, then we can always look at drafting a QB next year. Besides, winning teams are built in the trenches. Let's start there, and then work our way to upgrading the skill positions as needed.

The most accurate thing to say about where we the team stands is that we are nearing the end of year one of our rebuilding process.

The question is whether this ends up being a two or three year rebuild.

One of the Bills braintrust mentioned before the season started that he felt that "we are not as far off as some people might think." That might have been wishful thinking or maybe partially a marketing ploy and/or it may be an opinion that has since been revised.

Clearly we didn't go from worst to first this year, and in fact our record is worse than last year…but that doesn't mean the team which is 2-2 in the last four games isn't better than the team which finished last season.

Now about John Skelton...

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The biggest issue I see with both cam and your post is that spread concepts are coming to the league - see NE the last few years. Note that's a passing spread, not a spread option. There is not a single spread option team in the league and in many ways cam will have to relearn the position.

It would be like drafting a pure soccer player to replace Lindell. Yea he can kick but it's a new beast switching balls, targets, weather etc....

Cam can run, cam can throw but the reads change, the speed changes, progressions are nothing like his current system.

Who is the last spread option qb to have any a career in the NFL as a starter?

I agree with Mr. Hammersticks. Plus, QB is not our problem; defense is. (More studs on the O-Line and a good TE would also be nice to have!)

Edited by Mr_Blizzard

There has not been a game I have watched this year in which it was apparent that he was the best player on the field, no matter what positon was considered. What was also impressive about him was his ability to throw the ball. He has a strong arm and is capable of making every NFL type throw. He is an accurate passer and he also has a good touch on his ball.

With respect to his character and mental makeup I can't answer that question. That is where the scouts and others need to do their due diligence and make a determination as to whether he has the makeup to be a franchise qb.

we need defense and lots of it. cam newton is a beast of a player. and most of you who are saying hes so amazing hes the breasts whatevers. had the same man crush on tebow last year.

if anything i say take colin kappernick(sp) from nevada 3 rounds later. hes tall super mobile and has a arm. hes a poor mans cam.

1.fairley/bowers/quinn

2.heinrich/hightower or some other LB

3.add another LB.

add LBS and front 7. id be happy with 3 rounds and 3 LBs added. von miller is a great option in the first too. but maybe a trade back and acquiring more picks to take him

Every year we get one of these "amazing athletes" coming out of college and people pile on the bandwagon. And nearly every one of them (other than Vick) is never heard from again after draft day.

Pass. This team has holes all over the field. The last thing it needs is another wasted first round pick on a 'project'.

A superstar quarterback is the single most valuable commodity in professional sports. Period. More valuable than a superstar linebacker or defensive end or left tackle or starting left-handed pitcher or goalie or whatever position is important in synchronized swimming.

Period.

If you think you can get one, you do it. Can Cam Newton be a superstar QB? Maybe. Nothing is certain. There is a chance though, and it's worth trying to shoot for the moon. We stink anyways.

I wouldn't even take Newton in round 4. If the Bills want a late-round QB, they should think about Wisconsin senior and Johnny Unitas Award winner Scott Tolzien in round 6 - experienced in running a ' pro-style ' offense (whatever that is, these days), high-character, accurate, and just wins. Plus, for those who have never experienced Wisconsin winters, it's colder there than it is here in the BuffTown!

I really can't understand why more people don't love this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9DLIk_2JK4

Watch him in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day.

Edited by The Senator

Listen i have seen Cam play in Altanta since High school. The kid is a legit player period! Most Major Programs Ga, Fla, Bama TEN Auburn Wanted him ALL except GA wanted him as a QB. Don't forget OKLA wanted him too. I have been a Bills Fan since the ol War Memorial days when I walked to the games from Glenwood Ave (East Side Baby) The Bills need players and play makers and if Cam is around when we can pull the card the we IMHO should jump at the chance. A year under and Chan/Fitz barring an injury add some special wrinkles to our O,

then get it done.

If not he will end up in Baltimore or Pittsburgh via a trade or DC Git it done

Welcome to the board.

The biggest issue I see with both cam and your post is that spread concepts are coming to the league - see NE the last few years. Note that's a passing spread, not a spread option. There is not a single spread option team in the league and in many ways cam will have to relearn the position.

It would be like drafting a pure soccer player to replace Lindell. Yea he can kick but it's a new beast switching balls, targets, weather etc....

Cam can run, cam can throw but the reads change, the speed changes, progressions are nothing like his current system.

Who is the last spread option qb to have any a career in the NFL as a starter?

The interesting thing about Newton is that he does not have to start or sit the bench. He can play H back where he could be a tripple threat. Last year they drafted Spiller to give them an offensive spark (that has not worked out to date). Newton could be the best player available when they draft.

You almost had me until you brought in these two. Stewart was awful.

Anyway, I think Newton would be a very interesting pick. Let's make it easy for everyone--if both Newton and Spiller were in the same draft and were both available at our 1st pick, would there be one person on earth who would pick Spiller?

Him being form "the South" is meaningless. It doesn't matter where you're from. If you can play, you can play--this has been proven over and over. Somehow this nonsense gets repeated every year.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Draft him and give him a year on the bench. He is Vince Young without the attitude. He is Mike Vick without the dogs, He is Russell without the weight. He is Leaf with a desire to play. He is exciting as all get out.

Edited by jumbalaya

I guess our opinions differ with regard to where this team stands. I don't really see us in "total rebuild mode." In fact, with the right additions on the defensive side of the ball, I could see us being very competitive next year. We have proven that we can hold our own offensively, and we have a talented, young core of players on that side of the ball. Adding a beastly run stopper like Fairley, and a couple solid linebackers through the draft and free-agency, and suddenly we could have a much improved defense.

With so much defensive talent in the front end of this draft, why reach on a QB who is likely going to ride the pine next season. If Fitz doesn't work out, then we can always look at drafting a QB next year. Besides, winning teams are built in the trenches. Let's start there, and then work our way to upgrading the skill positions as needed.

The Bills have shown they can move the Ball sometimes...Most definitely against poorer Defensive Teams...Fred Jackson is still a weapon, and when Stevie is holding on to the ball they definitely can be OK on Offense...But after watching the Minnesota Game and the 1st half of Cincy and Pittsburgh, I'm not so sure anything is actually "proven" yet...It's better than it was with Edwards...That much is proven...

We can argue all day about where winning Teams are built...I'm going to stand behind the argument that 85% of the Teams that have won the Super Bowl over the past 20 years were built around a Star QB...And sure I know the counter argument that QB's like Brady and Brees were not Drafted in the Top 10...But folks are using the example of poor Scouting to make that argument...In a Re-Draft Brady goes #1 Overall in 2000, Brees goes Top 5 in 2001, and so on...They're still Franchise QB's their SB winning Teams built around, the fact that their Teams lucked out and got them as bargains along the way does not mean they "built through the trenches" necessarily...The Pats made a TON of Pick high at Defensive Line over the years...But without Brady they are not 3 time SB Champs...Probably not one time SB Champs for that matter...

I've seen it written around her often enough...QB is not a problem on this Team...As as a statement of fact I agree...But what is the real question The Bills Front Office will be asking themselves? They're looking at Drafting high in the 1st Round with as many as 3 QB's potentially available with Top 10 Grades...The REAL question is if QB is a strength on this Team, not if QB is a problem...There is a difference...It's a HUGE difference...And though I'm not so sure about the futures of any QB Prospects coming out in 2011 (and I'm not going to necessarily endorse Newton, Luck, or Mallett either just yet), I'm on record saying IF the Bills have a QB Graded that high and they Draft the Kid, it's the right move...At this point of a total re-build you HAVE to take the chance on the QB if you want to take the fast track to Playoff Football...It's also proven that there's no such thing as a sure thing...So that being considered why not gamble on greatness?... B-)

I'm not saying I don't want Cam Newton. But the Bills gave up about 1,000 on the ground in their last 4 games and they have 27 y/o reasonable productive QB. I'm not saying they need that high pick for an impact defensive player. And I'm also not saying that I'm cancelling my season tickets if they take a QB in the 1st round. I'd never say any of that.

The attached link is an energetic discussion between Kiper/McShay on the qb prospects. The qb topic is on the backside of the short video. More and more I'm leaning toward drafting Newton, assuming Luck is not available. It would be an excellent situaiton for him and the team because he can learn from Fitz, a very smart and capable qb.

For those who are going to argue about our desperate needs on defense my response is that getting a talented qb in the first round doesn't preclude using the majority of the remaining draft on defense and also being judicious in the free agent market to bolster the defense.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5902565

Auburn runs the ball over 77% of the time. Newton's got just as many running attempts as passing. Call me crazy but if we draft a QB shouldn't his strength be in actually throwing the ball?

I'm not in favor of drafting Newton, but in his defense as a passer, he has proven to be able to make all the throws. With the right coaching, it appears that he could be successful as an NFL QB.

Auburn runs the ball over 77% of the time. Newton's got just as many running attempts as passing. Call me crazy but if we draft a QB shouldn't his strength be in actually throwing the ball?

Dammit, don't you get it?? And he does is win!! He could be the next Tim Tebow!!!!!

Newton does sound like Vince Young Part II.

This is not an original thought, it was brought up in one of the other Cam Newton threads. But the thing that makes an NFL quarterback is all above the shoulders. VY singlehandedly beat USC didn't he? Michael Vick's athleticism is off the charts. Those guys won and succeeded on physical talent alone. None of that stuff means anything once you get to the NFL.

Does Newton have character or maturity? What do the recruiting issues surrounding Newton mean? Is he gonna be like Vick and take 5 years to mature? Vince Young's career is currently circling the drain. Young threw a hissy fit (again) when he was taken out of a game and not put back in…he threw his shoulder pads into the stands when leaving the field. Jeff Fisher put Young on IR after criticizing him in front of his teammates and the public. Almost none of his teammates stuck up for him.

I know Cam Newton is physically gifted but does he have the mental makeup to be an NFL quarterback? That is what I want to know.

Vince Young's record as a NFL starter is 26-13 (67% winning percentage). If Fisher plays him earlier last year, he would have led the Titans to the playoffs for a 2nd time in his career.

Mike Vick's NFL record is 38-28-1 (57%). He was the first QB to ever win a playoff game in Green Bay and has the Eagles on the verge of the playoffs this year.

As for Newton, a lot of these "character" issues are BS. I work in the education field and can tell you that school isn't for everyone. Newton has found his career path. By all accounts, he is a great teammate and leader. Personally, I couldn't give a crap if he cheated on some meaningless class or his father took some money while he makes the school millions of dollars. All I care about is what he does on the football field. And there, he is flat out awesome.

Dammit, don't you get it?? And he does is win!! He could be the next Tim Tebow!!!!!

So you're all ready declaring Tebow a failure before he starts one NFL game? Good point and thanks for your wisdom.

You almost had me until you brought in these two. Stewart was awful.

Anyway, I think Newton would be a very interesting pick. Let's make it easy for everyone--if both Newton and Spiller were in the same draft and were both available at our 1st pick, would there be one person on earth who would pick Spiller?

Him being form "the South" is meaningless. It doesn't matter where you're from. If you can play, you can play--this has been proven over and over. Somehow this nonsense gets repeated every year.

Say what you want about Stweart and Young, but they were winners in the NFL. Stewart was nearly a MVP under Mularkey.

I'm not saying I don't want Cam Newton. But the Bills gave up about 1,000 on the ground in their last 4 games and they have 27 y/o reasonable productive QB. I'm not saying they need that high pick for an impact defensive player. And I'm also not saying that I'm cancelling my season tickets if they take a QB in the 1st round. I'd never say any of that.

I'm one of the bigger Fitz backers around. But if you have a chance to draft a franchise QB, you can't pass on him. We have at least 8 picks this year so there is plenty of chance to address the defense.

These stats are inflated because Auburn plays with the lead a lot. In the SEC championship game, he threw 28 times (4 tds, 0INTs). Against Alabama, he threw 20 times (3 tds, 0 INTs. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/gamelog?playerId=232016

Additionally, when you averaging almost 11 yards per attempt like Newton is, your throws tend to make a bigger impact. I'd rather have a guy who averages 10 yards attempt throw 15 times r than someone who throws 30 times at 5 yard a clip.

Bills will draft Christian Ponder in the second (if he is there) filling a bigger need with their first pick.

I was high on Ponder coming into this season, but so far this year, he has left me very underwhelmed. And I hate doing the whole school thing since he is an individual player, but FSU QBs don't translate well to the pros.

I was high on Ponder coming into this season, but so far this year, he has left me very underwhelmed. And I hate doing the whole school thing since he is an individual player, but FSU QBs don't translate well to the pros.

I hear you, but thats one of the reasons why he might be there in the second. I figure Chan likes his leadership and skill set and feels he can coach him up as he learns how to read from the Harvard professor.

I'm not saying I don't want Cam Newton. But the Bills gave up about 1,000 on the ground in their last 4 games and they have 27 y/o reasonable productive QB.

Reasonably productive isn't good enough at the quarterback position in the NFL. You can get away with that at any other position, but damn, having an elite QB is a million times better than having an elite defender against the run.