Could Mike Vick be the NFLs MVP

sleaky72

Get over it. He served his time.

Wow that's pretty ignorant? There's probably hundred's of other convicted felons out there that we could sign. Sure, maybe they're not as talented as Vick but I'm sure there are a couple of convicted rapists and maybe some pedophiles that could play. As long as you serve your prison sentence it's a clean slate right? Try getting a job in the real world with a felony and prison time on your resume. Let me know how that works out for you.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get over it. He served his time.

totally agree. i'm as avid a dog lover as you'll find but everyone is redeemable. his time was also much more valuable than most

occurring in prime earning years. good for him. i think it's a great story.

Edited by birdog1960

To be perfectly honest, Manning and Brady are NOT EVEN CLOSE to Vick this year.

Manning: 93.9 rating; 4 to 1 TD to INT ratio.

Brady: 98.8 rating; 4.25 to 1 TD to INT ratio.

Vick: 115.1 rating; 11 to 0 TD to INT ratio.

As a passer, Vick is standing substantially ahead of Manning and Brady. Add in his ability to run and create plays, and at least right now and so far this season, there is absolutely no comparison. The man has ZERO interceptions on the season. Just unbelievable. And if the season ended today, Vick would be the unanimous MVP.

But he was *never* a great player...LOL.

Gotta love people crowning someone MVP after game number 9. And I'm 100% glad we passed on Vick. Sorry but there are enough good QBs for me to cheer for that guy. And last time I checked, Mike Vick has never been to a SB. But I forgot everyone needs to overreact after every play now.

The funniest is part the Falcons replaced that scumbag and are the best team in the NFC.

You seem very mad at Vick.. All BS aside the man is flirting with greatness. Apparently you eat sleep and **** dogs.. Get over it already.. Or just don't comment on the status, wouldn't that be easier.

Edited by Rooster Cogburn

Wow that's pretty ignorant? There's probably hundred's of other convicted felons out there that we could sign. Sure, maybe they're not as talented as Vick but I'm sure there are a couple of convicted rapists and maybe some pedophiles that could play. As long as you serve your prison sentence it's a clean slate right? Try getting a job in the real world with a felony and prison time on your resume. Let me know how that works out for you.

I find it disturbing that you would compare rape and pedophilia to cruelty to animals. I work in a prison. I deal with real "bad" people on a daily basis - Guys who would rape your mother just to piss you off - and the ignorance of anyone who would compare Vick to these people makes me sick to my stomach.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

What does this really mean? Does this mean he's a "changed man" and he's now someone to root for just because he served time? There are criminals that serve their time and go right back into the joint because they didn't learn their lesson. Who's to say that Vick isn't doing something illegal again we don't know about? I certainly hope that's not the case, but unless you're Andy Reid or Vick's fiancee (even then you may not know), we don't know how much he has changed, if at all. Call me cynical, but we don't have any reason to believe that he's 100% changed because he served his time.

That said, I really would like to believe that he did learn his lesson and he has turned things around. The man is one of the most talented athletes we've ever seen and it would be a travesty if he wasted his talents. He told Suzy Kolber that everything he does is about his fiancee and his kids...it's not about him anymore. That's a positive sign to me.

As for the thread, perhaps Tom Brady is the closest to Vick in the MVP race right now, but there's still almost half the season left. If they gave the award for First Half MVP, then Vick would be the likely candidate. I also don't see any other one player outside of Brady or Matt Ryan that has meant more to their team.

Haha! This is a classic example of why Vick simply cannot win with some people no matter what he does. He's won me over. After Braylon Edwards got that DUI, he did some sort of ridiculous dance the next day after scoring in Miami. Vick has handed the ball to the ref all season. Last night when he spiked that ball after scoring another insane TD, you could tell he was letting out a lot of personal frustration. He's on his own out there man. It's him, probably most of his teammates and probably half the city of Philadelphia and that's it. Meanwhile Snoop Doggy Dogg and Ray Lewis get commercials and endorsement deals. Man this country has some sort of weird fascination with dogs, let me tell ya.

Haha! This is a classic example of why Vick simply cannot win with some people no matter what he does. He's won me over. After Braylon Edwards got that DUI, he did some sort of ridiculous dance the next day after scoring in Miami. Vick has handed the ball to the ref all season. Last night when he spiked that ball after scoring another insane TD, you could tell he was letting out a lot of personal frustration. He's on his own out there man. It's him, probably most of his teammates and probably half the city of Philadelphia and that's it. Meanwhile Snoop Doggy Dogg and Ray Lewis get commercials and endorsement deals. Man this country has some sort of weird fascination with dogs, let me tell ya.

true, but dogs are very cool...rescue one...you'll find out.

I find it disturbing that you would compare rape and pedophilia to cruelty to animals. I work in a prison. I deal with real "bad" people on a daily basis - Guys who would rape your mother just to piss you off - and the ignorance of anyone who would compare Vick to these people makes me sick to my stomach.

Perhaps it wasn't clear enough so let me try again. The statement "he did his time" does not absolve someone of their prior actions. There are a LOT (as you well know) of truly horrific sub-humans that have "done their time" and been set free. That doesn't erase what they did nor does it compel me to forgive them.

What Vick did was not on the level of a rapist or a pedophile. It was however deeply disturbing and evident of what kind of person Vick is.

That wasn't my point - I was simply stating that because Vick served time (regardless of the crime), how do we know that he's changed? It has nothing to do with his specific crime.

If Donte Stallworth served jail time because of his DWI and then came back into the league, I'd wonder the same thing.

You seem very mad at Vick.. All BS aside the man is flirting with greatness. Apparently you eat sleep and **** dogs.. Get over it already.. Or just don't comment on the status, wouldn't that be easier.

We've seen this show before.

Vick runs wild in the NFL. Then it's back to 2006.

It was nice to see ESPN dust off their "he's the most exciting man in football!" oldie. Been so long......

That wasn't my point - I was simply stating that because Vick served time (regardless of the crime), how do we know that he's changed? It has nothing to do with his specific crime.

If Donte Stallworth served jail time because of his DWI and then came back into the league, I'd wonder the same thing.

give people a chance...99% of the time they will surprise you. this is the problem with society...people write everyone off after they make a bad choice

I never thought Vick should have been allowed to play in the NFL again went he came out of prison. I thought it would be a great message to send to other young talented millionaires that they had a line they could not cross and that was.....if you get convicted of a felony and serve time for it in prison, you are forever banned from playing in the NFL again. I still believe Vick should be out here amoung the average American citizens trying to carve out a living because he still is a convicted felon.

However, this is America, and it is the greatest country in the world. Goodell and the NFL disagree with my idea, so they allowed Vick to come back. Even you have to admit, the guy has taken full advantage of the chance he was blessed with. Even you have to admit none of us ever thought the guy would be back playing this well only two years out of prison.

I'm sure I agree with your reasons you want him seriously injured. I have owned dogs my entire life, and of course I cannot understand how he ever got himself involved in dog fighting in the first place.

But he did serve his time and if he was a relative of yours you would not want him seriously injured. Your take is stupid, ignorant, and quite possibly bigoted. Nobody deserves to get seriously injured playing in the NFL, they risk their lives every minute they are on the football field, and even convicted felon Vick deserves to be respected for that aspect of their careers!

Not ignorant. This is america. I can voice my dislike for anyone i want for any reason. I do not have to respect anyone. Vick, manning, barack obama, my uncle.... Respect is earned. Make no mistake, if he was a relative of mine i'd be equally as hateful. Having all that.... tear an ACL or two Vick.

Edited by zer0vette

The reason why Vick is now so successful is that he's (finally) bought into the concepts of their offense. His first option was always to run, or to throw deep. Now he's added a good field presence to his game and understands that he doesn't have to do it all by himself.

That being said, I saw the play that he was injured on a few weeks ago. He was running down the middle of the field, diving for extra yardage. If he's going to continue to progress, he absolutely has to stop doing that or he's going to get hurt again. Steve Young, the closest QB to Vick in the modern era, learned to either head out of bounds or slide. If Vick learns to do that and learns to disguise his tendencies, he could be truly be great.

Last night was absolutely ridiculous. How do you stop him right now? He's throwing just as well as he's running right now. Nobody on Washington seemed to be able to even get a finger on him, and even if they did he'd slip away and run for a first down with ease. The guy is on FIRE right now and if Philly keeps this up I can see them going a long way this year.

give people a chance...99% of the time they will surprise you. this is the problem with society...people write everyone off after they make a bad choice

Really? A "bad choice"?

Dogs were shot, hung from trees and electrocuted. Puppies were held underwater until they died. This went on for months if not years. A bad choice?

Some of you need to do a bit more research on what actually went on as part of Vick's dogfighting ring. It wasn't as simple as "he shot a few dogs".

According to the prosecutor's statement of facts in the case, between 2002 and 2007 Michael Vick and his co-conspirators Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor killed thirteen dogs by various methods including wetting one dog down and electrocuting her, hanging, drowning and shooting others and, in at least one case, by slamming a dog’s body to the ground.

Bad choice my ass....

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Really? A "bad choice"?

Dogs were shot, hung from trees and electrocuted. Puppies were held underwater until they died. This went on for months if not years. A bad choice?

Some of you need to do a bit more research on what actually went on as part of Vick's dogfighting ring. It wasn't as simple as "he shot a few dogs".

how do you feel about eating chicken or beef or pork? yeah, moving right along...

vick's having a hell of a year and if he keeps it up i don't see any reason why he shouldn't be in the running for mvp.

So far Vick is the MVP. Dogfighting does not make him a valuable or not valuable football player. Rothlesberger is a rapist...rape doesn' make him a valuable or not valuable player. Geez...you guys think being a football player is like freaking sainthood. and you dog lovers kill me....Slaughter cows, rip chickens to pieces, fight bulls beat and rape women..but keep your hands off Fido. :angry:

i hope he gets injured. career ending. crossing fingers.

Lol, what if someone wished you got burnt in the fryer and your career at McDonalds ended.

Oops, nah that means the rest of us would have to pay for your disability (both mental and physical) for the rest of your life!!!

Nah please keep working!

Lol, what if someone wished you got burnt in the fryer and your career at McDonalds ended.

Oops, nah that means the rest of us would have to pay for your disability (both mental and physical) for the rest of your life!!!

Nah please keep working!

lol, right.

how do you feel about eating chicken or beef or pork? yeah, moving right along...

vick's having a hell of a year and if he keeps it up i don't see any reason why he shouldn't be in the running for mvp.

Call me when Cargill and Tyson start electrocuting the animals. The don't systematically go out of their way to kill the animals in the most painful way possible way.

This board is overflowing with stupid today.

Really? A "bad choice"?

Bad choice my ass....

it sickens me. there's no excuse and i don't think he's made any. but he's paid for his crime and appears to have come out a better person and less importantly, a better player. what would you have society do to him? throw away the key? execute him?

Call me when Cargill and Tyson start electrocuting the animals. The don't systematically go out of their way to kill the animals in the most painful way possible way.

This board is overflowing with stupid today.

okay, keep living in fantasyland where animals raised solely for FOOD are treated kindly and gently when they're slaughtered and i'll just live in reality.

You're right- the board is overflowing with stupid. And a lot of it is coming from Syracuse.

Really? A "bad choice"?

Bad choice my ass....

There are tens of thousands of Americans that actually treat animals just as bad or even worse than Vick did on a daily basis. You know what happens to them, nearly nothing or maybe a fine of a few thousnad dollars. Do I like what Vick did to those poor dogs, absolutely not, I've had dogs nearly my entire life and love them like they were my kids. But Vick was put in jail for his horrendous crimes, while thousands of others continue their treatment of animals with nothing more than a slap on the wrist when they are caught.

Vick has paid for his crimes and he actually seems to be a changed man, everything I've read about him since he's been out of prison seems to indicate that.

Besides that, this thread is about does he deserve being the MVP, which if I recall is a football only award. In that case, yes he deserves the MVP at this point of the season.

Not to excuse it, but I think the dogfighting thing was more a product of the neighborhood Vick grew up in than anything else. Newport News is as ghetto as it gets, and in places like that dogfighting is considered socially acceptable. Dogs are not the same beloved companions that they are in the Land's End catalog. They are trained killers. I doubt there are a lot of fat, happy golden retrievers chasing sticks and licking kids' faces in Newport News. Animal cruelty is something Vick saw a lot of from a very young age and he probably had a warped perspective on dogs.

And by the way, professed dog lovers, unless you live in the country with a few acres of land for your dog to roam around on, you're pretty much committing animal cruelty, too. Dogs aren't supposed to hang around your condo all day while you're at work, or be placed in a little cage to keep them from being dogs. And a quick game of fetch, a milkbone, or a walk around the neighborhood on a leash doesn't even come close to making up for it. It's funny how so many people treat their dogs like goldfish, yet want to preach about Michael Vick's cruelty.

Vick sure is making alot of NFL GM's look stupid. Anyone could have had him when he got out of jail. Heck, the Bills could have made a serious play for him in the offseason when Dungy was mentioning Buffalo publicly. Would have cost us a draft pick or two..big deal. Look at Vick now? Philly was committed to Kolb but now they have no choice but to keep Vick as their man. He could play at this level for another 4-5 years.

So far Vick is the MVP. Dogfighting does not make him a valuable or not valuable football player. Rothlesberger is a rapist...rape doesn' make him a valuable or not valuable player. Geez...you guys think being a football player is like freaking sainthood. and you dog lovers kill me....Slaughter cows, rip chickens to pieces, fight bulls beat and rape women..but keep your hands off Fido. :angry:

So, apparently sainthood must mean you don't fight dogs? And when was Big Ben ever convicted (or even charged for that matter) for rape? I also don't think people against Vick are OK with people that "fight bulls beat and rape women" either. Next time, take a few minutes to think before you write.

And by the way, professed dog lovers, unless you live in the country with a few acres of land for your dog to roam around on, you're pretty much committing animal cruelty, too. Dogs aren't supposed to hang around your condo all day while you're at work, or be placed in a little cage to keep them from being dogs. And a quick game of fetch, a milkbone, or a walk around the neighborhood on a leash doesn't even come close to making up for it. It's funny how so many people treat their dogs like goldfish, yet want to preach about Michael Vick's cruelty.

So, keeping my pitbull in my 1500 SF condo during the day and then taking her for a walk around the block at night is just as bad as electrocuting and drowning her? Yep, OK. There really should be an IQ limit for posters.

Edited by kas23

people can hate players like Tom Brady for no other reason than he "is a f*g".

However, there are very legitimate reasons to dislike and root against Mike Vick and people rush to defend him/debate people like he is a close relative. People dislike athletes (and celebrities in general) for much, much less than this. Heck, I always said that I wouldnt root for the Sabres if they ever got Jaromir Jagr... I see people writing all the time how much they hate Dan Marino's guts. God forbid people speak out against Vick.

Edited by May Day 10

WRONG. I'm specifically talking about the people who said he didn't have football left in him and more so, the people who insisted he was never that good in the first place. Many people on here claimed they'd rather have Edwards as their QB completely from a football standpoint.

Jeez guys even the eagles weren't sure what they had in Vick. Kolb was their guy in the early season too if we can all remember. Failing to predict Vick’s resurgence is hardly indefensible. Obviously there was some correct guesses and incorrect guesses. There was no great visionary who proclaimed Michael Vick has changed his ways, regained his elusiveness, puts in the film work, reads defenses now and will be the top rated passer this year.

Ill say this. I was disgusted by what Vick did and really wasnt sure if he deserved another chance. But I have been beyond impressed with him. He seems to be honestly remorseful and greatful to be back playing the game he loves. On top of all that he is playing beyond Good. Its downright impressive.

I dont think I'll ever be fully comfortbale with what he did, but i can forgive him for it and enjoy watching something truely spectacular. That game last night was unreal. Incredable what he is capable of on the field. Imagine if he had done that his entire career? Just unbelievable talent and I feel lucky we can watch it

So, apparently sainthood must mean you don't fight dogs? And when was Big Ben ever convicted (or even charged for that matter) for rape? I also don't think people against Vick are OK with people that "fight bulls beat and rape women" either. Next time, take a few minutes to think before you write.

So, keeping my pitbull in my 1500 SF condo during the day and then taking her for a walk around the block at night is just as bad as electrocuting and drowning her? Yep, OK. There really should be an IQ limit for posters.

Neglect = Abuse, that's all I'm saying and I stand by it 100%. I never said it was as bad as electrocuting and drowning dogs, but it's a lot worse than most dog owners would ever admit. I have lived with two self-proclaimed dog lovers who keep their dogs imprisoned all day and the effect on the animals is obvious and profound. Very few dog owners even give this a thought when they rescue that cute puppy from the pound. I say this all the time: If your dog can't exercise freely and be an active participant in your daily life, then you should not own a dog. Where I live, dogs work on ranches and it's acceptable to take your dog to work, to friends' houses, and even to the bar. I travel the country a lot, and when I do I am shocked to see how fat and detached dogs become when people force them to live in isolation.

The way I see it, dog neglect is socially acceptable cruelty in middle class America, and while the brutality factor is certainly not as high in the suburbs, this situation parallels dog fighting being socially acceptable cruelty in the ghetto. Middle class people neglect dogs because they see them as cuddly stuffed animals, and ghetto folk run dogfights because they see dogs as rent money. And they're both wrong - dogs are social animals with an innate need for engagement and physical exertion.

I'll stop ranting now. Talk amongst yourselves.

I don't care if throws for 10,000 yards in the first half, that POS doesn't deserve anything but more jail time

Well he did lose an estimated 93 million dollars in salary and endorsements (I think I heard that on Mike & Mike). That is one hell of a fine!

Move on!

Neglect = Abuse, that's all I'm saying and I stand by it 100%. I never said it was as bad as electrocuting and drowning dogs, but it's a lot worse than most dog owners would ever admit. I have lived with two self-proclaimed dog lovers who keep their dogs imprisoned all day and the effect on the animals is obvious and profound. Very few dog owners even give this a thought when they rescue that cute puppy from the pound. I say this all the time: If your dog can't exercise freely and be an active participant in your daily life, then you should not own a dog. Where I live, dogs work on ranches and it's acceptable to take your dog to work, to friends' houses, and even to the bar. I travel the country a lot, and when I do I am shocked to see how fat and detached dogs become when people force them to live in isolation.

The way I see it, dog neglect is socially acceptable cruelty in middle class America, and while the brutality factor is certainly not as high in the suburbs, this situation parallels dog fighting being socially acceptable cruelty in the ghetto. Middle class people neglect dogs because they see them as cuddly stuffed animals, and ghetto folk run dogfights because they see dogs as rent money. And they're both wrong - dogs are social animals with an innate need for engagement and physical exertion.

I'll stop ranting now. Talk amongst yourselves.

+1

I live in LA right now, and refuse to own a dog because 1.) I dont have a yard to let a dog roam freely and 2.) Dont have the time and dedication it takes to own a dog. Ive had dogs my entire life and refuse to be part of this culture that thinks its ok to take a tammed wild animal and cage it up all day or not let it roam freely. And for those same dog lovers that say there dog is part of the family, would you lock ur child up alone and home? If you want to truly help a dog, instead of bitching on a bills forum, like ur the voice of reason, why dont you take a couple hours out of your day and spend some time at your local shelter. Thats what I do. And yes im also non-religious and have forgiven michael vick. People make mistakes in life.

As far as his on the field play. He looked like an MVP last night. He connected with 4 different recievers for TDs. As well as running for 2. He certainly gets my vote for the first half of the season.