Round 2, Pick #41: DT Torell Troup - Central Florida

SDS

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have taken Clausen. But this fills a need. A big need.

+1 I don't like Claussen, but I have a feeling we'll be watching a game a few years from now talking about how many teams were dumb for passing on him.

Since when have the Bills shown that they're better at drafting than the conventional wisdom/consensus? Since John Butler was there, that's when. The Bills need to earn the benefit of the doubt by having some of these reaches pan out. Drafting a NT with a 3rd-round grade when there's higher-rated (by consensus) players available at QB, LT, and NT? You'd better be right. The last decade of history suggests the Bills will be wrong again. You can't hope to defend them until they prove us wrong, because we've been right for years now.

Exactly, anyone say reach? My problem here is with value. Which I hate as a term, but this guy is obviously getting taken way too early

Since when have the Bills shown that they're better at drafting than the conventional wisdom/consensus? Since John Butler was there, that's when. The Bills need to earn the benefit of the doubt by having some of these reaches pan out. Drafting a NT with a 3rd-round grade when there's higher-rated (by consensus) players available at QB, LT, and NT? You'd better be right. The last decade of history suggests the Bills will be wrong again. You can't hope to defend them until they prove us wrong, because we've been right for years now.

And who exactly WORKED with John Butler...?

Oh yeah, Buddy Nix.

F### are you people hating on everything the new FO does a bunch of drama queens. When Troup is playing on the first day of the season and shows you what he's got, you'll all be eating crow.

Just like all of you crapping on the Jarius Byrd pick last year.

I like it. Why the hate? We need a NT bad. If Nix determined that Troupe was a better NT than Cody, you can bet at least some of the other 3-4 teams also made this determination. I'm glad we got him.

Now trade back into Round 2 and get a LT and I will LOVE our draft!

Exactly, anyone say reach? My problem here is with value. Which I hate as a term, but this guy is obviously getting taken way too early

Agreed. Sounds like this was a guy who could have been there in the 3rd. He seems to have been rising in the last few weeks, though, so maybe the FO thought they couldn't take the chance to fill the big need at NT.

I can hear it now...

Buddy...He was the highest ranked player available on our board and was the guy we were going to trade back into the first round for. We are very happy he was still there in the 2nd round. blah blah blah...

Buddy said the guy they were trying to trade up for was already gone before the spot they were trying to move into..

They took the top guy (per their thoughts...I'm not big on Cody either) at what I consider the top position of need and one of the hardest positions to find guys for or switch guys in for.

I don't know much about him, but I am very happy to get the top NT available here. I don't think Clausen is necessarily better in 2010 than Edwards, I don't think Campbell is necessarily better in 2010 than D.Bell. I DO think that Kyle was not going to hold down the NT position, and I didn't know where we were otherwise going to fill this.

Would he have fallen to our 3rd round? Could we have traded down with this pick or traded up with our 3rd? Probably. But I would guess we got a good football player at our most important position of need.

People need to stop basing their idea of where a guy should be drafted based on ESPN..

..or think it matters what round a guy is drafted in..

..if a player can play then he can play...

..it would be nice to have players that can play instead of drafting for Madden like 90% of the fans on this board want to do

There is no doubt where the Bills rank in NFL interest. They spent the whole time of the Bills countdown talking to Holmgren and ignored it when their choice was made.

Then they went to commercial, came back and did a token mention of the pick and switched to ESPN2

:w00t::worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

NFL Network :(

Some of you are a piece of work...

2nd round? 3rd round? You have no idea when he would have been taken. If the Bills took him in RD2 - who says 1 other team didn't also think highly of him?

It doesn't matter where you pick your guys as long as you get them. Clearly, they didn't want to risk losing him.

And who exactly WORKED with John Butler...?

Oh yeah, Buddy Nix.

F### are you people hating on everything the new FO does a bunch of drama queens. When Troup is playing on the first day of the season and shows you what he's got, you'll all be eating crow.

Just like all of you crapping on the Jarius Byrd pick last year.

The Bills have been more wrong than right (please see win record last ten years) so not everyone is ready to love this pick yet.

ESPN chat guys are just hammering us. Absolutely hammering us.

Oh noes!!! Not the ESPN chat guys. :w00t:

Can't say I'm thrilled with the pick, but most of the people bashing the pick just know nothing about him. I like Cody but obviously he is falling for a good reason. Nix helped picked Jamal Williams. I'll trust him over ESPN guys.

I had already resigned myself to the fact that they hate Clausen (fine, we'll stink so bad next year that maybe Gailey will get fired and a real coach will draft Locker #1 overall), but how do you pass on Charles Brown there? Dude is gonna be a solid Day 1 starter at LT, if you ask me. Not a great run-blocker, but a great technician in the passing game, and he has those super-long arms everyone's infatuated with these days.

It just really bothers me how little the Bills seem to care about the two most important positions in football.

To pass on Clausen, Mccoy even Brown the OT or Kindel and take a guy that played low level competion means to me Ralph wanted to save $ once again. Terrible choice.

This may be the stupidest theory I've ever read.

Based on what?

Bottom line: With so many teams running a 3-4 defense, players with the Troup's natural size and strength will be in high demand. Troup has a massive frame, looking more like he weighs 340 than his actual weight of 314. When he plays with proper leverage and hand use, he flashes the ability to hold the point of attack extremely well against multiple blockers -- the main skill 3-4 teams are looking for in a 0-technique nose tackle. However, he is limited to this position by his lack of athleticism, as he lacks the quickness to consistently disrupt the backfield and the lateral speed and agility to make plays outside his "A" gaps. He will need to improve his hand fighting and fitness if he wants to develop into more than a two-down backup at the next level, because in college he struggled to produce on runs at him and late in games. He will probably be drafted higher than we have him rated because there is such a premium on his position, but he will probably always be limited to playing on first and second down.[/i]

:w00t:

huh?(part in bold)

People need to stop basing their idea of where a guy should be drafted based on ESPN..

..or think it matters what round a guy is drafted in..

..if a player can play then he can play...

..it would be nice to have players that can play instead of drafting for Madden like 90% of the fans on this board want to do

+1 Kiper is in love with JC and everyone is passing on him it should tell everyone on this board how good Kiper is at rating people he sucks is one of the worst and JC will be the same he sucks and should not even go till the 3-4 round

Dude is gonna be a solid Day 1 starter at LT, if you ask me.

I don't think any NFL team did..at all...or will ever do so..I don't know anything about the guy and I'd be disappointed if my ESPN informed opinion matched up with the team's

Torrell flippin Troupe? Are you serious? Ahead of Cody, Thomas, and Joseph? Wow.

How do you justify not taking Cody?

What a sh*tty pick with Charles Brown, Cam Thomas and even Cody still there. No excuses. This is a 3rd round pick.

REACH. Better value could have been had in Clausen or Brown. Troup, Cody, or Cam Thomas would have been there at the Bills 3rd round.

Quoted for dexterity. I am so glad this group of deep thinkers do not work for the Bills. Perhaps try to know a little of what you're talking about before you just start immediately bashing. Dumbasses.

To pass on Clausen, Mccoy even Brown the OT or Kindel and take a guy that played low level competion means to me Ralph wanted to save $ once again. Terrible choice.

Remember Tulane......LOL... CLausen = trade meat....

This was a great 3rd round pick. Should have been Charles Brown. This just goes to show Buddy locks on with tunnel vision. About 4 mins total time on two picks. Trade down 25 spots and take this non penetrating slow high motor guy. Ugh lets get our QB's killed and open no holes for Spiller. Makes no sense. Jake Locker here we come.

I like it. Why the hate? We need a NT bad. If Nix determined that Troupe was a better NT than Cody, you can bet at least some of the other 3-4 teams also made this determination. I'm glad we got him.

Now trade back into Round 2 and get a LT and I will LOVE our draft!

:w00t:

Some of you are a piece of work...

2nd round? 3rd round? You have no idea when he would have been taken. If the Bills took him in RD2 - who says 1 other team didn't also think highly of him?

It doesn't matter where you pick your guys as long as you get them. Clearly, they didn't want to risk losing him.

I agree Scott...... We filled a need. And at this point it doesn't matter. The player is now a Buffalo Bill.