10 - 11 potential first round draft picks

papazoid

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...coming-rookies/

i would downgrade everyone of them as not being too smart.

EDIT:It's important to note that NFL club officials in this case are only referencing failed drug tests administered by the prospect's college that wind up on his background report, not the drug tests the league conducts as part of the scouting process at last month's NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...html?xid=cnnbin

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no moral objection to marijuana and I don't begrudge these guys a few puffs when they're in college and all the rest. BUT: the issue here is that these guys know they've got millions of dollars at stake and could lose it if they screw this up. That alone makes me question anyone who ignores NCAA/NFL drug policy.

This would go just the same if the NFL instituted 4-game suspensions for drinking Pepsi products instead of Coke. I wouldn't want anyone who broke the rule.

I have no moral objection to marijuana and I don't begrudge these guys a few puffs when they're in college and all the rest. BUT: the issue here is that these guys know they've got millions of dollars at stake and could lose it if they screw this up. That alone makes me question anyone who ignores NCAA/NFL drug policy.

This would go just the same if the NFL instituted 4-game suspensions for drinking Pepsi products instead of Coke. I wouldn't want anyone who broke the rule.

I think the dilemma here is, wouldn't you question the NCAA for such a ridiculous soda policy? That is what we are saying about weed; why is it necessary? I guess what you can take from the last couple of comments is how perception is changing on pot

Personally, I think it is completely harmless and couldn't care less. However, if you're preparing for the job interview of a lifetime, you have to question a person's commitment if they can't avoid something that will be looked down on.

Sorry your wrong. Comin from a former toker, it still shows how stupid the guy is. I don't want another Marshowmetwentybucks on this team. Do you think Brett Farve, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees is lighting up? Especially prior to their first professional job interview with 3 months notice! I would hire the clean guy over the dirty guy every time before I put a million dollars in their pocket.

Sorry your wrong. Comin from a former toker, it still shows how stupid the guy is. I don't want another Marshowmetwentybucks on this team. Do you think Brett Farve, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees is lighting up? Especially prior to their first professional job interview with 3 months notice! I would hire the clean guy over the dirty guy every time before I put a million dollars in their pocket.

My only problem with those players would, indeed, be the fact that they were smoking probably less than a month before their "interview of a lifetime." That's just plain stupid.

I would imagine it will come up in negotiating that first contract. "Look, your client is asking for more than any other nine pick is receiving and pretty close to what the eight pick got..I have to question the guys commitment if he tested positive for marijuana, and you'd have to be showing me a guy with talent and smarts enough not to get into a mess before the draft to ask me to go for those kinds of dollars."

THIS!!! im the biggest "pot-head" i know(its not something im proud of but its true). i feel like it sucks that weed is so less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco but it seen in such a negative light. but if im going to potentially make millions of dollars doing something that i love to do with a passion and all i have to do is not smoke weed, sign me up.

Favre was an alcoholic and a pill-popper, and look how he turned out

Favre was an alcoholic and a pill-popper, and look how he turned out

Try again. Farve got hooked on vicodin after an injury. The fact that he was eating them by the handful is bad but understandable for any one who took opiates for any length of time. He did finally rehab and now won't even touch a tylenol. This is a hard thing to kick, I know first hand. Last ime I checked alcohol was LEGAL. So before you correct me, check your facts.

I agree with the plurality of posters on this board.

I smoke a lot. I'm also an A student, work full time, volunteer my time at our school's radio station, and am involved in other projects.

While I admit the perception and attitudes about a marijuana user are unfortunate, they exist. We shouldn't judge people based on appearances, but we do. You have to play the game to get in the game.

So, while I think its stupid that they judge people on using a product that I think no one would argue provides any tactical advantage, I would think its reasonable to suggest that a NFL prospect would know that scouts will frown on knowledge of its usage and said prospects should act accordingly.

What's interesting is vice usage of other prospects DOESN'T go public. Do they include tobacco and alcohol in these tests? Legal vices, sure, but its just as, if not more than, damaging as weed.

I don't think I'd want a chain smoker to be on my team, wouldn't that seriously affect his capabilities as an NFL athlete?

Try again. Farve got hooked on vicodin after an injury. The fact that he was eating them by the handful is bad but understandable for any one who took opiates for any length of time. He did finally rehab and now won't even touch a tylenol. This is a hard thing to kick, I know first hand. Last ime I checked alcohol was LEGAL. So before you correct me, check your facts.

lol what does it matter if he was injured or not? he still popped a **** ton of pills even after injury. alcohol is legal sure but my point is it is just as dangerous and is very addicting. what am i checking my facts about? why did you get so whiny and upset, is it that time of the month?

This could also be a smokescreen (pun intended) to scare some teams from drafting a player they fear has character issues. Remember the Warren Sapp situation where he fell into Tampa's lap?

I don't think it's a means of getting someone to drop if there are 11 or 12 of them.

But, 11 guys went before Sapp in 95 and only Steve McNair and Joey Galloway were near Sapp's quality. He's probably the best 3 tech DT of the past 20 years.

I think the dilemma here is, wouldn't you question the NCAA for such a ridiculous soda policy? That is what we are saying about weed; why is it necessary? I guess what you can take from the last couple of comments is how perception is changing on pot

Of course. As a member of the general public, it'd make me less likely to watch the games. As a player, I'd advocate changing the policy - take it up with the NFLPA or something. But as a GM, I'd mark down players who risked league punishment, no matter how stupid the underlying charge was. I'm not saying I'd zero them out altogether, but it lowers their value both because there's an actual risk of losing games to a suspension and it generally shows an inability to manage the rules. I might admire a player who followed Thoreau's prescription to disobey an unjust law - I might even call him and congratulate him - but it still would hurt his draft stock in my eyes.

What a lot of people don't realize is that this drug test is no longer done with a urine sample like the old days. They now just cut a piece of hair and the test can detect as far back as 5 years! So if someone tests positive for smokin' weed, they may have still been in high school at the time.

"It's important to note that NFL club officials in this case are only referencing failed drug tests administered by the prospect's college that wind up on his background report, not the drug tests the league conducts as part of the scouting process at last month's NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis."

Still hurts, doesn't it doc?

Yes. Too bad Lynch wasn't caught doing that THIS summer, seeing as how California is currently voting on legalizing marijuana. :thumbdown:

Hey, looks like the Commish is going to have that sit down with Big Ben. Feel better?

It's a start. A suspension is what's in order, though. I mean, if a parking ticket can merit a sit-down and then a gun leads to a suspension, 2 accusations of rape certainly should merit one.

Yes. Too bad Lynch wasn't caught doing that THIS summer, seeing as how California is currently voting on legalizing marijuana. :thumbdown:

This might be a clever comeback, if Lynch would have been busted for possesion of weed.

It's a start. A suspension is what's in order, though. I mean, if a parking ticket can merit a sit-down and then a gun leads to a suspension, 2 accusations of rape certainly should merit one.

BR didn't even get a parking ticket in the first "rape" incident. You should probably aquaint yourself with the details of that case--particularly the more recent details. As for the second allegation, there is nothing other than the woman's complaint at this point. The fact that Goodell is going to "sit down" with BR before the case is legally adjudicated is somewhat unprecedented--so you're wrong about him again. But he's obviously not going to suspend him based on this allegation.

You've lost your mind---or you simply won't let go of a losing argument. Goodell did everyone a favor by suspending Lynch last year. The Bills were fine without him and they realized what a solid back Jackson was. Come to grips with this reality and move on.

This might be a clever comeback, if Lynch would have been busted for possesion of weed.

What was the reason the cops searched Lynch's car again, doc? Oh yeah, because they "saw and smelled pot." If marijuana were legal back last summer, do you think they'd still have searched his car?

BR didn't even get a parking ticket in the first "rape" incident. You should probably aquaint yourself with the details of that case--particularly the more recent details. As for the second allegation, there is nothing other than the woman's complaint at this point. The fact that Goodell is going to "sit down" with BR before the case is legally adjudicated is somewhat unprecedented--so you're wrong about him again. But he's obviously not going to suspend him based on this allegation.

You've lost your mind---or you simply won't let go of a losing argument. Goodell did everyone a favor by suspending Lynch last year. The Bills were fine without him and they realized what a solid back Jackson was. Come to grips with this reality and move on.

Just because he didn't get a parking ticket, it doesn't mean that his first rape charge wasn't a serious one/black eye for the league. But this all goes back to Goodell's cavalier attitude towards violence against women, as evidenced by his equally shameful handling of Brandon Marshall. Goodell is more concerned about a violent crime like a loaded gun in a backpack in the trunk of someone's car. :thumbdown:

But now after a sit down, will it take a 3rd rape charge to get Big Ben suspended? Sorry but 2 rape charges say that this "thug" can't learn from his mistakes and needs to be taught a lesson now. Eh? Or is he different, for some unknown reason. ;)

Oh and I was listening to ESPN the other day and the guy on there, Eric Kuselias, who is an attorney, said that you don't talk to the cops and help them build a case against you (the idea being to let the cops and DA take, say, a month and find nothing incriminating). Hmmmm, now where have we heard THAT before?

All this means is they didn't get caught.

PTR

If you think its legal, you are naive.

is legality the question or the effects of the plant? the one thing i will say, as a head, is that it shows a lack of intelligence to smoke within 2 mos. before you know youll be tested. that tells me you either feel entitled or are just dumb. i, however, dont believe that marijuana has any effect on your playing ability.

I smoke a lot. I'm also an A student, work full time, volunteer my time at our school's radio station, and am involved in other projects.

While I admit the perception and attitudes about a marijuana user are unfortunate, they exist. We shouldn't judge people based on appearances, but we do. You have to play the game to get in the game.

So, while I think its stupid that they judge people on using a product that I think no one would argue provides any tactical advantage, I would think its reasonable to suggest that a NFL prospect would know that scouts will frown on knowledge of its usage and said prospects should act accordingly.

What's interesting is vice usage of other prospects DOESN'T go public. Do they include tobacco and alcohol in these tests? Legal vices, sure, but its just as, if not more than, damaging as weed.

I don't think I'd want a chain smoker to be on my team, wouldn't that seriously affect his capabilities as an NFL athlete?

Jack Lambert smoked. Not pot. But his did smoke cigs.

I agree. Quite a few college students experiment in college but are smart enough to work to get it out of their system when its job interview time.

Check this out. In 2007, a mixed martial arts fighter named Nick Diaz, was fined and his fight declared a no contest because he failed his drug test. The Nevada State Athletic Commision deemed that his high THC levels allowed him to absorb more pain and thus improved his performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Diaz#Return_to_the_UFC

What a lot of people don't realize is that this drug test is no longer done with a urine sample like the old days. They now just cut a piece of hair and the test can detect as far back as 5 years! So if someone tests positive for smokin' weed, they may have still been in high school at the time.

It doesn't really work that way. All drug tests have what is called a threshold level above which a test is deemed positive. They also determine a concetration range for THC which is equivalent to use within certain time period. You can basically differentiate between a non smoker, a recent smoker and a chronic smoker.

Or else, just because ur hippie parents smoked pot for 20 years means you will never be employed.