Undying Optimism

Whites Bay

For those that wish to chase the "solids" in the toilet bowl, please move on. I'm not here to say the Bills are charging inexorably towards the Super Bowl, but I just looked at the schedule, and did a WTF. Here's the Bills' schedule leading up to Christmas:

10/25 @ Carolina Panthers

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/22 @ Jacksonville Jaguars

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

12/03 NEW YORK JETS (Toronto)

12/13 @ Kansas City Chiefs

I know the turd-seekers are going to say the Bills go 0-8 (yes, I'm assuming the turd-seekers are going to expect the Bills lose the bye week), but just take a look at that schedule.

The Bills are 2-4. The Bills could walk out of that mess at 8-5. Seriously.

Watch for it.

10/25 @ Carolina Panthers - Probable Loss

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS - VERY tough opponent

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans - Will probably get their first win

11/22 @ Jacksonville Jaguars - Only team we'll be able to actually outcoach

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS - Should win

12/03 NEW YORK JETS (Toronto) - Most likely loss on schedule

12/13 @ Kansas City Chiefs - Okay, we'll win this game.

All of those games (except in Kansas City) I can see us losing. We have to win at Carolina and at Tennessee before I'm confident. If we do that, I'll get back to you and agree that we should be optimistic. Until then, its not looking good.

For those that wish to chase the "solids" in the toilet bowl, please move on. I'm not here to say the Bills are charging inexorably towards the Super Bowl, but I just looked at the schedule, and did a WTF. Here's the Bills' schedule leading up to Christmas:

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

I know the turd-seekers are going to say the Bills go 0-8 (yes, I'm assuming the turd-seekers are going to expect the Bills lose the bye week), but just take a look at that schedule.

Watch for it.

While not as optimistic as this post I wrote earlier this week in my blog, the Bills could get back to .500 and even above with the schedule they face up until the final three playoff teams. The game against Carolina will determine a lot about the character of this team and their ability to move forward. Injuries have played a large roll especially in run defense and with out Williams they will surely be tested again, but I am just saying.........

I think everyone looked at the scheudle and saw Cleveland too.

Fitz may give the Bills a better chance than with Trent. But, the one thing that contiinues to suck is the defense. The linebacking corp has got to be the worst, and least physical in the NFL. They're a disgrace and should play in a women's league.

The Bills defense has held the opposing team's offense to less than 70 plays only twice this year.... against the Saints (69) and the Browns (59). What do you think the chances that Carolina is gonna smoke the Bills linebackers again tomorrow?

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

Watch for it.

From an optomistic turd seeker here, given the coaching staff, the best the Bills will do with that stretch is 2-5. This coaching staff plays the games as close to the vest as possible. A simple win is an adventure with this staff and they have already proven it this year and obviously shown it last year. This team is destined for 7-9 again but us real Bills fans are hoping for less just for a higher draft pick. Optomism went bye bye back in 2004. Dump Dick and optomistic Bills fans will come back.

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

Watch for it.

It's possible......but I don't think it is probable.

The team's defense is fairly solid...the stats say they are getting gouged on the run, but I see the defense keeping them in games they otherwise wouldn't have a chance at.

Before the Cleveland game I would agree...but this team has one of the most anemic offenses I've ever seen...and the special teams isn't as good as it has been in years past. If somehow it just clicks for the Oline, the playcalling, and the QB play, then maybe we have a chance.

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

Watch for it.

You know, you can chart the months of the year by the attitudes of Bills fans:

July: "We had a good off-seasion, training camp's starting, we're going to do well this year!"

August: "God, we suck! Judging by preseason, this is going to be a long year."

September: "We should be okay. Sure, they don't look good...but we have a lot of new faces, they just need time to gel."

October: "With just a few bounces, we'd have a winning record, not a losing one. And look at the rest of the schedule...we should make the playoffs EASY!"

November: "God, we suck! XXXXXX needs to be fired/is overpaid/needs to be addressed in the off-season."

December: "We've got a lot of salary cap room and we pick in the top-15. We should be able to get the LB, QB, and defensieve lineman we need in the offseason. Playoffs next year, baby!"

January: ""Go Sabres!" Because the Bills never play in January.

My goodness, the Bills finished 2-8 last season and that "magical" 5-1 start. Despite the 31 hardest schedule in the league, they could not make the playoffs.

Sure the schedule doesn't look daunting, but DJ is capable of losing to any team in this league. See Cleveland, 10-11-09.

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

Watch for it.

Not with Dick Jauron as head coach.

Here's my most optimistic asssessment.

10/25 @ Carolina Panthers - L - Carolina will run for 400 yards.

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS - W - Houston's defense is bad and has a pass heavy offense, we can squeak this out.

11/08 BYE - If we play our cards right we won't lose this week.

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans - L - Chris Johnson alone will win this game.

11/22 @ Jacksonville Jaguars - L - Maurice Jones Drew alone will win this game

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS - W - Miami stinks.

12/03 NEW YORK JETS (Toronto) - L - Rex will be ready and Mark "Mr. Sexy" Sanchez gets to play inside thanks to RW

12/13 @ Kansas City Chiefs - W - The Chiefs are better than you think and this is a tough game

That's 3-4 through that stretch which makes us what...5-8? Since we know the Pats will clobber this sorry band that makes 9 losses and means the Bills either have to beat Indianapolis' back-ups in week 17 or win in Atlanta in a game that will probably mean something to the ATL to avoid a 10 loss season. Micheal Turner is already salivating...

I said 5-11 before the year and I stick to it. 5-8 on 12/13 and then lose out.

Here's my most optimistic asssessment.

That's 3-4 through that stretch which makes us what...5-8? Since we know the Pats will clobber this sorry band that makes 9 losses and means the Bills either have to beat Indianapolis' back-ups in week 17 or win in Atlanta in a game that will probably mean something to the ATL to avoid a 10 loss season. Micheal Turner is already salivating...

I said 5-11 before the year and I stick to it. 5-8 on 12/13 and then lose out.

I agree with you, but you're too run obsessed. Teams can't actually pound the ball on us, it's deceptive. We have that weird (and absolutely horribly) bend but don't break defense. At first, I thought it was funny to keep saying that 5 or 6 times a game, but I've finally realized that it really is the defensive game plan. Allow the team to do whatever they want in any 7-10 yard pattern, with the idea that eventually they'll lose a down and go down field. Once they've lost a down, they panic and start to throw. Teams with good quarterbacks know to just throw to the down and out receiver. All other teams lose to us.

And so, my main criticism with your season predicting stats, is that you think we lose the games we'll lose based on defense. I think we'll lose the games we'll lose based on our offensive game plan (or lack thereof). Every time a team successfully prepares for us, we will lose. Our only hope is that the team has no confidence in Fitz, and actually calls successful running plays. A 70/30 ratio, with our RBs could actually mean we can pull out some games...but I don't coach this team, skeletron does.

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

Watch for it.

Are you one of those folks who would be satisfied with a Wild Card berth this season, after accumulating 9 or 10 wins against equally bad teams? You do know what will happen in the Playoffs for this Bills squad, right? And please, please, don't give me that old "anything can happen in the playoffs" speech. We'll get our asses handed to us. What good is that?

Argggggg, I had so much hope before this season started, that we'd actually COMPETE this year. Maybe I need to lay off the pipe.

Are you one of those folks who would be satisfied with a Wild Card berth this season, after accumulating 9 or 10 wins against equally bad teams? You do know what will happen in the Playoffs for this Bills squad, right? And please, please, don't give me that old "anything can happen in the playoffs" speech. We'll get our asses handed to us. What good is that?

Argggggg, I had so much hope before this season started, that we'd actually COMPETE this year. Maybe I need to lay off the pipe.

i would be happy with a wild card then a promp exit when we lose to a real playoff team, its more than i've seen from the bills in the last 10 years... think of the season tickets they could sell after that!

I agree with you, but you're too run obsessed. Teams can't actually pound the ball on us, it's deceptive. We have that weird (and absolutely horribly) bend but don't break defense. At first, I thought it was funny to keep saying that 5 or 6 times a game, but I've finally realized that it really is the defensive game plan. Allow the team to do whatever they want in any 7-10 yard pattern, with the idea that eventually they'll lose a down and go down field. Once they've lost a down, they panic and start to throw. Teams with good quarterbacks know to just throw to the down and out receiver. All other teams lose to us.

And so, my main criticism with your season predicting stats, is that you think we lose the games we'll lose based on defense. I think we'll lose the games we'll lose based on our offensive game plan (or lack thereof). Every time a team successfully prepares for us, we will lose. Our only hope is that the team has no confidence in Fitz, and actually calls successful running plays. A 70/30 ratio, with our RBs could actually mean we can pull out some games...but I don't coach this team, skeletron does.

Well, I took the terrible offense as a given. Given the sheer number of rushing yards we have allowed over the last month it's very difficult to imagine that we can win many games without having the other team turn the ball over. Mark Sanchez threw 5 INTs last week and the Jets botched a FG and it STILL took OT to win the game. That's not going to happen every week. Any team that's smart will run the ball just about every down, move to at least mid field and then even if they have to punt they keep our offense pinned back all day long. It's basically how Cleveland beat us. They punted from midfield all day long and our offense was too inept to flip the field position around. If I have to make bets on whose offense will make more catastrophic errors to surrender field position/points in a game I'd pick ours every time.

The ONLY way we win today's game is if Delhomme throws 4 INTs and we score at least once on defense. I'd be shocked if he throws more than 15 passes today.

Guest dog14787

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

Watch for it.

We lost to the Cleveland Browns at home 6-3, Seriously ...

How many of those games are easier than Cleveland at home?

:rolleyes:

Honestly winning more then 5 or 6 games and not making the playoffs would be the worst thing for this franchise!! I say playoffs ro crash and burn. DJ is our coach, our QBs suck....were not making the playoffs so BURN BABY BURN!!

Guest dog14787

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

Watch for it.

Today will tell us allot, if Fitz pulls out a win we just might half a chance of being a 500 ball club at the half way point and right in the thick of things.

after the past 10 years, any playoffs are good. other than you, i am as relentlessly negative about this franchise as anyone, but i would hoist my mug and publicly apologize to everyone at OBD in exchange for a playoff berth.

i believe, like you, that it would result in a humiliating road loss, but at least we could say for once that we had a decent team. i'd like to try that on one more time before we lose the team.

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

Watch for it.

have you watched this team? If we continue to give up 200+ yards a game on the ground we will lose more than we win

Well, I took the terrible offense as a given. Given the sheer number of rushing yards we have allowed over the last month it's very difficult to imagine that we can win many games without having the other team turn the ball over. Mark Sanchez threw 5 INTs last week and the Jets botched a FG and it STILL took OT to win the game. That's not going to happen every week. Any team that's smart will run the ball just about every down, move to at least mid field and then even if they have to punt they keep our offense pinned back all day long. It's basically how Cleveland beat us. They punted from midfield all day long and our offense was too inept to flip the field position around. If I have to make bets on whose offense will make more catastrophic errors to surrender field position/points in a game I'd pick ours every time.

The ONLY way we win today's game is if Delhomme throws 4 INTs and we score at least once on defense. I'd be shocked if he throws more than 15 passes today.

Well done my friend...well done. Nearly spot on!

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

Watch for it.

Sadly the Bills could also walk out of that stretch 4-9. If the D doesn't completely shut down opposing Os this team has no chance at winning the game.

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

Watch for it.

I'd be surprised if they got to 8-5. I can see them winning the next 3 and getting to 6-4, but when the good feelings return, the pressure starts building to win. This is when Jauron starts to lose it again and will pull another boneheaded move that costs them the game. It just seems that when Jauron is coaching in a big game, the team comes up with a dud.

That said, they have a great chance in front of them. Every team they play until the Jets has a losing record except for Houston, who seems to be pretty inconsistent. If (and that's a HUGE if) they get the offense on track, I can see - but won't predict - 7-4 going into the Jets game.

Well now, wasn't THAT something?

Come on now, all you whiners that responded to this thread - those telling us that the world was ending.

Come on. Let's have a little love here....come on....you can do it....

Well now, wasn't THAT something?

Come on now, all you whiners that responded to this thread - those telling us that the world was ending.

Come on. Let's have a little love here....come on....you can do it....

Hey, what can I say, another team handed us a game on a plate. Will i turn it down? No, but it doesn't mean I think the Bills are any better than I thought they were yesterday. Carolina's gameplan was ridiculous, way way way too much passing which game Delhomme too much room to screw up. Which he did.

The Bills did catch the INTs, I'll give them credit for that. But two of the picks were horrible, unpressured throws to very open receivers. Delhomme is ungodly and I don't know how he still has a job.

11/01 HOUSTON TEXANS

11/08 BYE

11/15 @ Tennessee Titans

11/29 MIAMI DOLPHINS

Watch for it.

thats what I have been saying...our schedule has a lot of winnable games with only 3 really tough games left (Indy doesnt count as they most likely are resting thier starters week 17)