Losman, might have been better suited

if this offense were tailored to edwards' strengths, as well as taking advantage of our young and (aggressive?) o-line, screens and quick hitting pass plays would be great. who cares if they don't throw deep as long as we move the chains, establish rhythm and confidence. but please, for the love of all that is good and holy...don't throw a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 25!

if this offense were tailored to edwards' strengths, as well as taking advantage of our young and (aggressive?) o-line, screens and quick hitting pass plays would be great. who cares if they don't throw deep as long as we move the chains, establish rhythm and confidence. but please, for the love of all that is good and holy...don't throw a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 25!

With Trent at quarterback a tight end this offseason would have made more sense...but this is the Bills were talking about. I would say that some help on o-line would have been nice, but I think everyone is being a little too hard on our o-line. We have zero depth on the line, but in regards to our starters, the pass protection is a little weak compared to last year, but our run blocking has definitely been an improvement.

I'm sure the list will dwindle, but next years tight end class for free agents is looking pretty strong. Just throwing out a few names....Anthony Fasano, Bo Scaife, Tony Scheffler, and Benjamin Watson. The loss of Derek Schouman hurts a lot more then people want to believe. Trent loved throwing to him and he seemed to catch everything thrown at him.

With Trent at quarterback a tight end this offseason would have made more sense...but this is the Bills were talking about. I would say that some help on o-line would have been nice, but I think everyone is being a little too hard on our o-line. We have zero depth on the line, but in regards to our starters, the pass protection is a little weak compared to last year, but our run blocking has definitely been an improvement.

I'm sure the list will dwindle, but next years tight end class for free agents is looking pretty strong. Just throwing out a few names....Anthony Fasano, Bo Scaife, Tony Scheffler, and Benjamin Watson. The loss of Derek Schouman hurts a lot more then people want to believe. Trent loved throwing to him and he seemed to catch everything thrown at him.

to the bills credit, they did try to get tony gonzalez last year while the team was still red hot and he did not want to come here.

it's not they they didn't try, it just didn't work out in our favor(as usual)

What if that is all the defense is giving him ?

Two premier receivers in TO and Evans. TO, who did not have much trouble getting consistently open in the past.

There is no way the three defenses we faced consistently covered (double covered ?) both these receivers without leaving something open for a third WR/TE in the middle portion. The D has to be 'giving' something either deep or middle.

to the bills credit, they did try to get tony gonzalez last year while the team was still red hot and he did not want to come here.

it's not they they didn't try, it just didn't work out in our favor(as usual)

Ahh the Tony Gonzalez fiasco, I completely blocked that out of my memory. I really hope Schouman can come back from that injury though, because like it or not TE will probably be the starter next year even if DJ gets the boot.

Just score baby

JP 19 TDs in 16 starts

Trent 22 TDs in 27 starts

He needs to step up his game is all im saying.

Huh?

Oh, I got it. You quote JP's best SINGLE season vs. ALL of TE's games.

Mind if I do a little bit of the same:

JP = 42 games, 33 TDs = 1.27 .786 TDs per game.

TE = 27 games, 22 TDs = 1.22 .810 TDs per game.

Looks like a statistical dead heat when it comes to TD passes per game played. I love stats.

You had me at, (TE) "he needs to step us his game." Game, set, match. That's all that really matters. Here's hoping he does.

GO BILLS!!!

P.S. - Thanks DC Tom and Magox for correcting my math.

As much as the Bills were going nowhere with JP it beats the crap out of what we have now. Sure JP was maddening but at least he wasn't afraid to throw the ball downfield. Between all the horrible games there were games where JP threw for 300 yds and was fun to watch. Even when he sucked I at least got the feeling he was giving it his all and leaving it all on the field. TE is not fun to watch. Even my 84 year old mother in law who can't remember who the Bills are playing from quarter to quarter knows TE is afraid to throw the ball. Sadly I don't think it's Trent's fault. I think it's been drilled into him at every turn - DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER!! Now he's so gun shy that it's hard to imagine a good result. I think the kid had a chance to be a quality NFL quarterback. That's looking less likely every week.

Ahh the Tony Gonzalez fiasco, I completely blocked that out of my memory. I really hope Schouman can come back from that injury though, because like it or not TE will probably be the starter next year even if DJ gets the boot.

I wouldn't bet on that. Trent wasn't drafted in the first round, and is not carrying around a first rounders salary. From a financial standpoint, the FO has no incentive to "force" Trent to become the starter.

Not saying Trent will be waived, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new coaching staff brings somebody in to compete with Trent for the starter's spot.

I am so sick of "taking what the defense is giving him". How about let's ATTACK the Defense & TAKE what we want!

I appreciate what you're saying and I feel the same frustration. But until you can indeed TAKE what the defense gives consistently, you won't have much success forcing the issue.

First and foremost you need a QB with superior confidence. Edwards doesn't strike me as confident when faced with adversity. Secondly, you MUST have a superior OLine in every facet. We don't. Far from it.

Because of those two factors, we will be in more unmanageable down/distance situations. Defenses usually dictate to offenses in those situations.

GO BILLS!!!

Nice math skills, Newton. :thumbsup:

LOL! Talk about lazy math.

I apologize to the community and will immediately correct my post.

Thanks for pointing it out, Tom.

GO BILLS!!!

GO NEWTON!!!

hahahahahahahaha!

That's funny!

A view from the stands at the Ralph & the coaches tapes/NFL network/ESPN tell me Lee & T.O. are open.....frequently.

Watch captain checkdown's head, his eyes in particular, and where he's looking. Very few glances to the outside receivers. The only throws going to 81 & 83 are predetermined rainbow fly patterns.

Nah, if you want to see the path JP was on just look at JaMarcus Russell in Oakland. For a long time I felt like JP didn't get a fair shot here, but in his play last year he was still displaying all the same deficiencies in his game that plagued him all along. Edwards IMO is in the process of playing himself into a backup role, but Losman has some serious work to do if he's to rescue his career.

Then JP dances around the pocket, gets sacked, fumbles the ball, and watches the other team score 6

I will give JP props for one thing tho. He made one helluva strong batch of Kool-Aid® to still have zealots pining for his NFL resurrection

hahahahahahahaha!

That's funny!

A view from the stands at the Ralph & the coaches tapes/NFL network/ESPN tell me Lee & T.O. are open.....frequently.

Watch captain checkdown's head, his eyes in particular, and where he's looking. Very few glances to the outside receivers. The only throws going to 81 & 83 are predetermined rainbow fly patterns.

Watching on TV you don't get the same perspective as being in the stadium and I haven't had an opportunity to see any of the network analysis. But it was my suspicion. They both can't be doubled all the time especially when the defense brings 5 or 6 on the rush.

It comes down to confidence and trust. Confidence in your ability as a QB to deliver the ball and trust in your receivers that they're going to make the play and the catch. As a QB you can't be careless but you also can't be afraid of making an occasional mistake because its going to happen. As far as what the defense is 'giving' I see the validity of this argument but at some point you've got to have the capacity to 'dictate' the play on the field. And if you've got superior weapons at your side you've got to utilize them and attack. I think Edwards has the smarts and the physical capacity to do this. What's holding him back is puzzling. Is he taking on the persona of his head coach as some suggest? I don't know.

I suspect if you asked the great QB's if they worry about what the defense is going to 'give them' their answer would be something between laughter and a blank stare.

On things is for sure. Bills need to win this Sunday and get to .500.

I wouldn't bet on that. Trent wasn't drafted in the first round, and is not carrying around a first rounders salary. From a financial standpoint, the FO has no incentive to "force" Trent to become the starter.

Not saying Trent will be waived, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new coaching staff brings somebody in to compete with Trent for the starter's spot.

I agree that a new coaching staff would bring in a veteran to compete, however our FO will remain the same, and I believe we all know how our FO has handled the QB position over the past couple of years. We will probably see a situation similar to when Kelly Holcomb was brought in to compete with Losman. Trent may lose his job around midseason next year, but I see him as the starter for the season opener.

Hopefully by the end of the year this conversation will be pointless and we will have other positions to worry about improving.

Huh?

Oh, I got it. You quote JP's best SINGLE season vs. ALL of TE's games.

Mind if I do a little bit of the same:

JP = 42 games, 33 TDs = 1.27 .786 TDs per game.

TE = 27 games, 22 TDs = 1.22 .810 TDs per game.

Looks like a statistical dead heat when it comes to TD passes per game played. I love stats.

You had me at, (TE) "he needs to step us his game." Game, set, match. That's all that really matters. Here's hoping he does.

GO BILLS!!!

P.S. - Thanks DC Tom and Magox for correcting my math.

If you wanna go by best season

JP 19 TDs

Trent 11 TDs

If you wanna go by best season

JP 19 TDs

Trent 11 TDs

Nah, I'll wait until the end of this season before I do that. TE still doesn't have near the game experience Losman had. Plus JP's best season was his 3rd season and it really didn't take off until the second half of that year. So, this being TE's 3rd season and only three games in to boot, I've gotta be fair and wait to make the best season comparison.

But keeping in the spirit of making stats say ridiculous things:

JP 2nd year = 8 TDs

TE 2nd year = 11 TDs

Keep 'em coming.

GO BILLS!!!

I wonder if there are still Lions fans who still pine for Joey Harrington.

Losman fans, please stop. It's getting embarassing. Edwards may not be teh answer but if you have half a brain, you know without a doubt John Paul isn't for sure.

Please stop this madness.

Nah, I'll wait until the end of this season before I do that. TE still doesn't have near the game experience Losman had. Plus JP's best season was his 3rd season and it really didn't take off until the second half of that year. So, this being TE's 3rd season and only three games in to boot, I've gotta be fair and wait to make the best season comparison.

JP 2nd year = 8 TDs

TE 2nd year = 11 TDs

Keep 'em coming.

GO BILLS!!!

JP's 2nd year was his 1st year with ANY playing time at all. Keep 'em coming.

I think passing TDs are overrated. But to be fair, I doubt Edwards will throw 19 TDs this year.

Passing TD's OVERRATED? That is the CRAZIEST thing I have ever heard. 99% of the other QB stats are pointless & overrated if you will. Passing TD's is the one stat that you can use to see how GOOD a QB is. You can't use it to compare QB's from different eras, but if you compare QB's that were contemporaries the QB with the most TD's is most likely the better QB.

JP 2nd year = 8 TDs

TE 2nd year = 11 TDs

Keep 'em coming.

GO BILLS!!!

JP 2nd year = 8 TDs in 8 starts

TE 2nd year = 11 TDs in 14 starts

Hmmmm......who had the better TD per games ratio? Also up until their second season JP had only attempted 5 passes where as Trent had already started 9 games and attempted 269 passes.

Again I say Trent has yet to prove he is better than JP was. If he has proven that, how? I'd like to hear it.

Passing TD's OVERRATED? That is the CRAZIEST thing I have ever heard. 99% of the other QB stats are pointless & overrated if you will. Passing TD's is the one stat that you can use to see how GOOD a QB is. You can't use it to compare QB's from different eras, but if you compare QB's that were contemporaries the QB with the most TD's is most likely the better QB.

This isn't fantasy football. If good QB play gets you to the redzone and a RB runs the ball in that's just as good as if the QB threw the pass. The points count the same. However the QB helps the team score is what matters.

JP 2nd year = 8 TDs in 8 starts

TE 2nd year = 11 TDs in 14 starts

Hmmmm......who had the better TD per games ratio? Also up until their second season JP had only attempted 5 passes where as Trent had already started 9 games and attempted 269 passes.

Again I say Trent has yet to prove he is better than JP was. If he has proven that, how? I'd like to hear it.

Losman LOST football games. He didn't WIN football games. He sucks; he is out of the NFL because he sucks. Please get over it.

I wonder if there are still Lions fans who still pine for Joey Harrington.

Losman fans, please stop. It's getting embarassing. Edwards may not be teh answer but if you have half a brain, you know without a doubt John Paul isn't for sure.

Please stop this madness.

I think the point people are trying to make is as bad as you think JP is, SO FAR Trent has been every bit as bad, maybe even worse.