A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

1) When Poz went down, our weakness up the middle was fully exposed. Poz was flying all over the field. He has the potential to be as good as any mlb in this league, or to be part of the Bills hex. Son of a B word, ya know?

2) The pick/td by Schobel was a thing of beauty. He had a great game. You people should lay off of him, and you know who you are.

3) Holy s--t, has anybody ever seen a DE flagged for defensive f$&*$@g holding on a pass, (Denny, 1st quarter)? Wtf kind of defense is that? I nominate Jauron/Fewell to the douchbag hall of fame. Do I have a second?

4) Stroud is a monster, but every other DT on this team is so-so at best. He simply can't do it alone; he is gonna wear down.

5) Other than his late hit, was Donte Whitner on the field tonight? All kidding aside, please fill me in if he was.

6) Not that you should care, but imo Levitre was superb. I saw him get elbowed in the face and not give ground. He is already a huge step up from Dockery; it isn't close. Case closed.

7) The thing about the no-huddle is that it goes against my grain as a football traditionalist. That said, I would rather have the game in the hands of a smart guy from Stanford than a skeletor nitwit from Yale.

8) McKelvin isn't a bad player. He is simply another wasted pick by at least one douchebag.

9) How long I have I been posting here. 11 years? 12 years> I stake my reputation as a poster that Bell is a bag of s--t. He is weak, stupid, and never will be any good. I hope to be wrong, but it is evident. I am calling for Chambers right now.

10) Trent was very good tonight. People, admit it. If one or two of those dropped were caught, we win.

11) Hang in there folks. We are going to suffer, but we really might get better.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) When Poz went down, our weakness up the middle was fully exposed. Poz was flying all over the field. He has the potential to be as good as any mlb in this league, or to be part of the Bills hex. Son of a B word, ya know?

2) The pick/td by Schobel was a thing of beauty. He had a great game. You people should lay off of him, and you know who you are.

3) Holy s--t, has anybody ever seen a DE flagged for defensive f$&*$@g holding on a pass, (Denny, 1st quarter)? Wtf kind of defense is that? I nomonate Jauron/Fewell to the douchbag hall of fame. Do I have a second?

4) Stroud is a monster, but every other DT on this team is so-so at best. He simply can't do it alone; he is gonna wear down.

5) Other than his late hit, was Donte Whitner on the field tonight? All kidding aside, please fill me in if he was.

6) Not that you should care, but imo Levitre was superb. I saw him get elbowed in the face and not give ground. He is already a huge step up from Dockery; it isn't close. Case closed.

7) The thing about the no-huddle is that it goes against my grain as a football traditionalist. That said, I would rather have the game in the hands of a smart guy from Stanford than a skeletor nitwit from Yale.

8) McKelvin isn't a bad player. h

We wont be as good without him but i am actually pretty impressed with Buggs......he sells out when he tackles and gives it his all. Very physical.

If Edwards doesn't @hit the bed this year I am actually for using that 1st round pick this next year on a DT to go alongside Stroud

I fully believe Byrd was drafted to replace Whitner next year.....I know he had ten tackles but he just doesn't make any BIG plays......way too much for a high first round pick. Christ even Huff is starting to make plays here and there

I think Wood AND Levitre are going to get better with every game and going into the offseason those positions will be set.

How about the way Hangman played Wilfork?

All those DBs sure helped us contain their passing game, didn't it? Second half, especially.

Brady shook off the rust and our DL started to run out of gas... combined with injures for which we have next to nothing for depth. But we've got DBs! Thank God Almighty, Dick, we've got DBs!!!!

How about the way Hangman played Wilfork?

How about the way Wilfork is still going after QB's knees like it's going out style? Dude deserves a knee injury of his own, and just like Dirty Player Harrison I wouldn't feel the least bit sorry if it were a career-ender.

3) Holy s--t, has anybody ever seen a DE flagged for defensive f$&*$@g holding on a pass, (Denny, 1st quarter)? Wtf kind of defense is that? I nomonate Jauron/Fewell to the douchbag hall of fame. Do I have a second?

8) McKelvin isn't a bad player. h

I agree with all your points except the Jauron ones. He coached his ass and had this team ready to play when every expert and fan had given up on him. He deserved to win and I feel for the guy. Your anger towards him is very misplaced IMO.

Good call, our pass-rush also depleted, leading me to believe they were more willing to leave him on an island than anyone playing behind him (and for good reason, it seems). So, it seems with him out of the lineup, they blitzed less, or at least pressured less. ARRGH!

Game, changer.

He threw a bit. Tacky, so was Whitner's "spear," but so was the Wilfork 15 yarder.

Kyle Willams looked fantastic...until POZ went down.

He looked much better closing, he made some great open field tackles, and plugged up a couple woulda-been big plays.

He was one of tonight's many pleasant surprises.

Trent did great. Will only do greater.

8) McKelvin isn't a bad player.

Nope, he's a dumb one.

I agree with all your points except the Jauron ones. He coached his ass and had this team ready to play when every expert and fan had given up on him. He deserved to win and I feel for the guy. Your anger towards him is very misplaced IMO.

+1

Bill,

Good to see your "A Few Thoughts About The Game...." again...

A few other ones come to mind.

1. Shawn Nelson had a pretty good debut and that TD was a beauty. His blocking for the most part was Ok. Nelson will continue to improve.

2. It looked like Nelson and Schouman were on the field a lot. Didn't see much of Josh Reed. I was disappointed that Steve Johnson was not active for today. That guy can make plays.

3. I will give the benefit of doubt to Bell with regards to those Penalties. For the most part, he protected Edwards and gave him time.

4. Wood is a future star in this league. Him and Butler gave Edwards so much time to roll out on the right side and some of the blocks he made were just fantastic.

5. McKelvin had a pretty poor game both as a CB and a KR. The CBs played too soft and gave too much cushion

6. Poor Whitner - I think the coaching staff is just not putting him in position to make plays. When he had a chance, he stopped Randy Moss short of the first down markers at least 3 times.

7. Fred Jackson had another FANTASTIC game against the Patriots.....2 back to back success is not a fluke. I wish Van Pelt had involved Jackson in the last drive. He may have got us the yards necessary to get into the FG range.

8. What was disappointing was that we didn't even sniff anywhere near for even to get Lindell to have a long FG try. It almost looked like both Van Pelt and Edwards panicked.

9) How long I have I been posting here. 11 years? 12 years> I stake my reputation as a poster that Bell is a bag of s--t. He is weak, stupid, and never will be any good. I hope to be wrong, but it is evident. I am calling for Chambers right now.

???

I'd to hear some other thoughts on this. I watched the game without sound, and saw the several penalties but didn't get the impression Bell was a liability. For his first regular season appearance, on that stage, are we really capable of making such a harsh assessment? He doesn't have the typical pedigree of a starting LT and I'm sure he'll need to learn on the job -- but it seemed like a decent start.

Love your posts and generally agree with you, but re Whitner you're wildly off the mark Bill. I thought he played incredibly well. He looked like Dawkins out there last night. Remember his natural position is SS, and he looked better last night than most of the FS's in the league. I really don't get what you were looking at.

7. Fred Jackson had another FANTASTIC game against the Patriots.....2 back to back success is not a fluke. I wish Van Pelt had involved Jackson in the last drive. He may have got us the yards necessary to get into the FG range.

8. What was disappointing was that we didn't even sniff anywhere near for even to get Lindell to have a long FG try. It almost looked like both Van Pelt and Edwards panicked.

they did try, they didn't have enough time or we would have won. Look at it. We either needed 10-15 seconds or one more times out

8) McKelvin isn't a bad player. He is simply another wasted pick by at least one douchebag.

10) Trent was very good tonight. People, admit it. If one or two of those dropped were caught, we win.

11) Hang in there folks. We are going to suffer, but we really might get better.

I'm as frustrated as any Bills fan can be @ the moment, but you are incorrect in hinting that Whitner didn't show up. He's the main reason that many of those quick passes Brady completed didn't go for huge gains, as he was one of the main guys to make good open field tackles and minimize the gains. So was Reggie Corner. As for the # of catches they let Moss and Welker have, well, when a team throws the ball 60 times and most of those throws are to the same two guys, that's going to happen.

did anyone see that piece of garbage Teddy Brischi on Sportscenter last night? He kept saying that the Patriots prepare for that type of situation, they practice for being two scores down in 5 mins, blah, blah, blah.

What he should have said was that if McKelvin didn't fumble game over. Bills win.

!@#$ Bruschi anyway. He sounds like a moron when he talks but those !@#$ers at ESPN are going to cram him down our throats.

5. McKelvin had a pretty poor game both as a CB and a KR. The CBs played too soft and gave too much cushion

I think that speaks more to coaching/scheme than the player, but I agree.

Can they figure out a way to stop the slants and the crossing patterns over the middle? Please?

Re #3, it does occasionally happen. Remember Willie McGinest's hold of Marshall Faulk in the Super Bowl? He was the primary receiver and was tackled at the line. Warner had to run it in, fumbled, and it was returned by Tebucky Jones for a score to make it 24-3. The play was called back because of the hold. If McGinest gets away with it, it's a clever defensive play.

Can they figure out a way to stop the slants and the crossing patterns over the middle? Please?

I thought playing the CBs on the line of scrimmage would prevent that. They gave the Pats* WRs at least a 7-yard cushion all night. Slants will beat that coverage every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

More generally, the only individual to pin this loss on is McKelvin. Not Jauron, not Edwards, not Kelsay or Denney. Despite everything else (a few dropped passes, penalties at bad times), if McKelvin takes a knee, we're talking about the biggest upset in years. I'm not bothered by the attempted return as much as McKelvin not dropping to the ground the moment he felt contact.

Good post but I respectfully disagree with some comments. I personally dont care if we dont have Poz - go out and get a veteran LB with leadership. Poz reminds me of Whitner - alot of tackles and no huge plays. So he makes alot of tackles. Make a play.

I dont think Bell will be a bust. It was the guys FIRST regular season game in his career. Yea he had some STUPID penalties, but did Edwards get hit from the blind side except for that last desperation drive (which all Bills were in disarray). Many times he pulled on a run nicely and set up some great blocks for Freddy. I think he will only get better. Why did you think he was weak and stupid? Like I said he made some young mistakes ie penalties - but seriously I could not have determined if it was him or Peters.

I really lke the way the offense played. People of course are already complaining on Trent kept checking down. Well when you double Evans and Owens a TE and RB will be open. Why throw into double coverage when they are wide open. I only wish they treid it once on that last drive

I really lke the way the offense played. People of course are already complaining on Trent kept checking down. Well when you double Evans and Owens a TE and RB will be open. Why throw into double coverage when they are wide open. I only wish they treid it once on that last drive

Exactly. Trent took what they gave him and the Bills chewed up yards because of it.

Poz was playing great and the defense was doing an overall great job until he went down. Any idea how long he is going to be out?

Schobel had a great game in the first half, but it seemed the second he couldn't get to Brady nearly as often.

I couldn't disagree with you more on this one, Whitner was great last night. He was hitting anyone he could, made several key stops. Without him, this game would have been over early.

Levite and Wood did great for rookies, I was impressed with the overall job the line did all night.

I really don't understand why the cb's play off the receivers so much, 3rd and 5 and their playing 7 yards back? What the hell is that? It was not a banner night for special teams and McKelvin made it worse at the end.

Along with your Whitner comment, this one doesn't make any sense either, I thought Bell played admirably and our line could be very good in the future. A lot of little penalties that hurt, but I thought Bell was very good last night.

Trent was excellent last night and makes me believe that this team won't be as bad as I thought this year.

This game was there for the taking last night, but I can honestly say, I never at any point thought they would win it, at least I would never let my mind believe they would. When Jackson went in for the TD and we were up by 11, I hoped we would win it, but I never thought we would. That bend but don't break defense that Fewell loves so much killed us again because they broke at the wrong time.

They did a great job last night and it makes me look forward to a pretty good season, I hope. Instead of the disastrous year I thought we would have, maybe we'll end up about 7-9 :pirate:

I'm sure they know how to stop the play but when it comes to executing it, I think they find themselves on the PUP list.

The Bills are once again paper thin at LB with Posluszny's injury. With injuries inevitable, I expect them to sign more depth in the preseason, but that hurts the bottom line. Lack of depth cannot be an excuse each year. Ellison should not be a starter and his coverage ability is terrible.

Whitner's presence, even with a pass rush is not enough. He makes a few tackles sure, but he's not near a Polamalu type SS.

Bell is not ready.

all of you naysayers are truly demonstrating yourselves to be the boobs that you are.

The Patriots are lucky to have escaped with a win. If not for 1 critical error (McKelvin), this game was won by the Bills.

The O-line was strong- particularly up the middle. Eric Wood is an ANIMAL!

This has nothing to do with Jauron and everything to do with CORRECTABLE mistakes. McKelvin had 2 fumbles (1 critical), Bell had some learning-curve penalties (but also played better than expected- walker who?), and 3 different receivers had drive-killing drops (Jackson, Owens, and Evans) in the first half that could have resulted in points.

The D-line is finally getting pressure to Brady AND without having to call blitzes as in the past. Kevin Williams, Aaron Schobel, and the crew were disruptive often and history has shown that that is the way to beat Brady.

What about the tackling? I love Gruden's take on Reggie Corner chomping at the bit to take down Wes Welker.

And how about the play-calling of AVP?

Brady whined after the game that they did not play up to their level. Baloney! They got beat. If McKelvin stays in the end zone...

...I would take my chances with this offense last night to close out the game with 2:00 to go.

Who cares about stats? The only stat I care about is the final score. And with the national media having a field day at the Bills expense (I don't know how the league can stand by and let 1 of its franchises be slandered like that over, and over, and over again) predicting wild 41-7 games, I think the Bills can walk away from this with their heads held high BECAUSE NOT ONLY DID THEY BEAT THE PATRIOTS, but they FINALLY SHOWED THAT THEY BELONG ON THE SAME FIELD.

If they play like this for the rest of the season, I see 11-5 in their future.

GO BILLS!