A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

My only major beef is that on last drive we were running plays too fast no attempt to try to work more time out of the clock but maybe that would have screwed up the rhythm who knows. McKelvin should have run toward the sidelines instead of up the gut or waited in end zone before taking a knee. One first down and game over or at least milk out Time Outs and make them drive the field.

Maybe AVP will look at how NE uses Welker, Moss and the TE and find ways to get TO, Evans and Nelson the ball in space.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't Bill's best A Few Thoughts About the Game. Then again, Bill chose to forgo the entire preseason. That's what happens when you go soft during the preseason. Sound familiar?

LOL. You are totally correct. I had school last night and rushed home to watch it on tape. The last time I missed a game was 14 years ago.

Games like this are blinding. Memories dim, and other heartbreaking games become a blur, but this game was a particular disister imo, even for a masochistic Bills fan.

It's as if even when they do great things, someone absolutely HAS to screw it up. They were winning in spite of the dumb penalties, dropped passes, and an injured Poz, who looked of course like he was going straight to the pro bowl.

Sorry.....this one took a toll on me.

The Patriots are lucky to have escaped with a win. If not for 1 critical error (McKelvin), this game was won by the Bills.

Yes, they were lucky. They are still a good team with some great players and a great coach and luck follows good teams.

McKelvin's fumble was a big turnaround in the game, but the game wasn't decided by 1 play. That's pure hogwash. Yes, the fumble was a bad play, but if he doesn't fumble, the Bills offense could have gone 3 and out and the Patriots still win. Even though he did fumble, the Patriots didn't return that fumble for a score. The Bills defense let them drive the short field quickly and fairly easily to take the lead. The defense could not hold. And let's not forget that the Bills had great plays (conversely the Patriots had lousy plays) such as the Schobel pick 6. The Patriots could say, if not for that 1 play, the game would've been totally different just as easily.

While I know that you shouldn't blame the officials on the calls because ultimatley the team wins or loses as a result of its own actions. I saw several horrible spots last night. An extra foot here and extra foot there. On one occasion it was going to be 3rd and 1 and the ref actually moved the ball a full yard to give them a first down after the ball was spotted. Also some of the illegal formation calls on Bell were suspect as I watched the game replayed and paid close attention to it. I hate to say it but it felt as if the fix was on.

I noticed that as well, wonder how many yards the refs ended up with last night? All in all though I feel both sides got some ticky tack calls which evened it out in the end.

We wont be as good without him but i am actually pretty impressed with Buggs......he sells out when he tackles and gives it his all. Very physical.

If Edwards doesn't @hit the bed this year I am actually for using that 1st round pick this next year on a DT to go alongside Stroud

I fully believe Byrd was drafted to replace Whitner next year.....I know he had ten tackles but he just doesn't make any BIG plays......way too much for a high first round pick. Christ even Huff is starting to make plays here and there

I think Wood AND Levitre are going to get better with every game and going into the offseason those positions will be set.

How about the way Hangman played Wilfork?

What is with everyone and Donte Whitner? He's a solid player to have on your team. Who cares if he was taken 8th overall, at this point it doesn't matter. He makes alot of good plays, at least 5-6 big tackles/plays not 1 like the OP said. Not every Safety taken early is going to be an Ed Reed.

Seriously, he is not going to be replaced or cut any time soon. We have more pressing needs, like LB and DT

What is with everyone and Donte Whitner? He's a solid player to have on your team. Who cares if he was taken 8th overall, at this point it doesn't matter. He makes alot of good plays, at least 5-6 big tackles/plays not 1 like the OP said. Not every Safety taken early is going to be an Ed Reed.

Seriously, he is not going to be replaced or cut any time soon. We have more pressing needs, like LB and DT

I'll say this over and over.....

For a safety to make plays....he needs one thing to happen...and thats to be thrown at....

the two times Brady went at Whitner....

one time, he threw it out the back the endzone....

the 2nd time....he went deep down the sideline to Galloway...guess were that ended up ?? about 10 feet out of bounds....

after a pretty solid game from Whitner...he still gets sh-- on here....

Its quite amazing...

This was my first time seeing Bell. He is fast and plays hard, but he doesn't even look like a blocker imo. I would love to know his actual weight. And, he obviously doesn't have a clue what he is doing out there.

Maybe he can be hidden with the no-huddle, but holes like this kill teams, as if we needed something else to hurt us. :lol:

So you've concluded after having watched Bell once (in his first NFL start, on Monday Night Football, no less), that he's a "bag of sh--"?

Admit it, you don't like him because he's not Jason Peters.

Disagree on a bunch:

Whitner made a lot of brilliant open field tackles.

The defense did not go to pieces in the 3 quarters Poz wasn't in there.

Defensive holding on DE's on passing plays isn't that uncommon. You hold them up so they don't release. Not often called though. Also not sure how that's Fewell or Jauron's fault.

Way too harsh on Bell. only 2 sacks total prior to the last desperate drive - one of which was a coverage sack.

McKelvin made a huge blunder on the return, but he made a lot of great plays on defense. Drafting a starting caliber corner is not a mistake.

Agree on Levitre - he looked awesome. As did Wood and Hangartner. Whole line looked good minus the Bell penalties.

Agree on Trent - couldn't have played much better. Evans needs to work on his ball skills or upper body strength, if he gets hit he tends to drop them, and he coughs up the ball too much as well.

Other thoughts:

Schouman played well. Nelson did too.

Where's the love for Hangartner stuffing Wilfork all day?

1) When Poz went down, our weakness up the middle was fully exposed. Poz was flying all over the field. He has the potential to be as good as any mlb in this league, or to be part of the Bills hex. Son of a B word, ya know?

2) The pick/td by Schobel was a thing of beauty. He had a great game. You people should lay off of him, and you know who you are.

3) Holy s--t, has anybody ever seen a DE flagged for defensive f$&*$@g holding on a pass, (Denny, 1st quarter)? Wtf kind of defense is that? I nominate Jauron/Fewell to the douchbag hall of fame. Do I have a second?

4) Stroud is a monster, but every other DT on this team is so-so at best. He simply can't do it alone; he is gonna wear down.

5) Other than his late hit, was Donte Whitner on the field tonight? All kidding aside, please fill me in if he was.

6) Not that you should care, but imo Levitre was superb. I saw him get elbowed in the face and not give ground. He is already a huge step up from Dockery; it isn't close. Case closed.

7) The thing about the no-huddle is that it goes against my grain as a football traditionalist. That said, I would rather have the game in the hands of a smart guy from Stanford than a skeletor nitwit from Yale.

8) McKelvin isn't a bad player. He is simply another wasted pick by at least one douchebag.

9) How long I have I been posting here. 11 years? 12 years> I stake my reputation as a poster that Bell is a bag of s--t. He is weak, stupid, and never will be any good. I hope to be wrong, but it is evident. I am calling for Chambers right now.

10) Trent was very good tonight. People, admit it. If one or two of those dropped were caught, we win.

11) Hang in there folks. We are going to suffer, but we really might get better.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I typically look forward to these BillFromNYC post-game capsules, but this post was just bad. I completely believe that everyone should be able to voice there personal opinion after the game, but I have to wonder what game you were watching.

It's OK, though. Like the Bills, we just need you to correct a few mistakes for next week.

1. Maybin's impact is already being felt, but without another playmaker on the D-Line, someone who can pressure the QB up the MIDDLE, teams will always be able to adjust away from pressure and own us in the second half, a-la last night.

2. Our D-Line is superb at making adjustments against the run. Our LB core? Not so much.

3. The no-huddle is the ONLY thing keeping Trent alive with this O-Line of his.

4. T.O. is the reason Jackson had the room he did.

5. Other teams make adjustments at halftime. Ours don't. Except, perhaps, for AVP, who ran a PERFECT play scheme to have us go up, 24-13. My vote is with HIM for next HC, as Ralph will certainly not hire an expensive guy from outside the club.

6. April's bunch are the most undisciplined guys in football right now. What happened to his dominance???? He looks like a chump coach right now, same as his boss.

7. Jauron looked scared after Jackson's TD to put us up by eleven. No really, go look at the film. He wiped his eyes and looked like he was gonna puke a little into his shirt. He had nothing, NOTHING, to say to his team (McKelvin) that would have prepared them for the oncoming desperation plays by NE. Instead, he just stood there like a stone and waited for the inevitable. Ralph should see that and finally get it. He needs to go, or this team will ALWAYS choke. Their flipping coach EXPECTS them to.

3) Holy s--t, has anybody ever seen a DE flagged for defensive f$&*$@g holding on a pass, (Denny, 1st quarter)? Wtf kind of defense is that? I nominate Jauron/Fewell to the douchbag hall of fame. Do I have a second?

The coaching staff put a good game plan together tonight overall and this team looking good. Our D was getting to Brady most of the night.

5) Other than his late hit, was Donte Whitner on the field tonight? All kidding aside, please fill me in if he was.

He made some really good tackles and even caught the praise of the broadcasters several times...not sure what game you watched...

6) Not that you should care, but imo Levitre was superb. I saw him get elbowed in the face and not give ground. He is already a huge step up from Dockery; it isn't close. Case closed
AGREED

7) The thing about the no-huddle is that it goes against my grain as a football traditionalist. That said, I would rather have the game in the hands of a smart guy from Stanford than a skeletor nitwit from Yale.

You need to adopt to the modern game, you will enjoy it more. "Traditional" style football doesnt exist anymore

8) McKelvin isn't a bad player. He is simply another wasted pick by at least one douchebag.

Emotions get the best of you here or what? McKelvin is one of the best KR in the league and a promising young DB still, so how is this a wasted pick?

9) How long I have I been posting here. 11 years? 12 years> I stake my reputation as a poster that Bell is a bag of s--t. He is weak, stupid, and never will be any good. I hope to be wrong, but it is evident. I am calling for Chambers right now.

You are off your rocker here with this one. I watched Bell and the O Line all night, and he showed a lot of promise. He made some mental mistakes, but it was his first freaking game, cut him some slack...

10) Trent was very good tonight. People, admit it. If one or two of those dropped were caught, we win.

Trent was good, but I wont say very good. He completed a lot of easy throws, which is fine, but he still couldnt get the ball DOWN field, and when you do you score points. I will hand it to Trent, he looked poised and made smart plays, which is good, but we are not going to put enough points up to beat the Saints, Pats, etc by dinking and dunking an entire game. Did you see Bradys two strikes to Watson? We need him to make throws like that. I mean even his 2 TD throws were little dunk throws that Fred and Nelson turned into great after the catch moves to get in the end zone. Welker and Moss combined for as many catches as Trent had throwing attempts...

The defense did not go to pieces in the 3 quarters Poz wasn't in there.

What game were you watching? Bills gave up almost 500 yards of offense, most of it in quarters 2-4. The defense had a few stops and the Pats helped with drops. Game was closer to a 25 point Pats win than you think.