A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

I'm sorry I stopped reading your post here. No use in going on.

Typical. I didn't say the Bills played poorly, but the Patriots were not on their A game. And the Bills could have played better. You have to face reality. The Bills played their hearts out, I have no qualms with that. And they were very well prepared. They deserved to win. But the Patriots were guilty of stupid penalties, a terrible INT, a bunch of dropped passes and a non-existent running game. But they still put up double the yards we did and owned us in time of possession. You cannot beat the Patriots if they win time of possession battle.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) When Poz went down, our weakness up the middle was fully exposed. Poz was flying all over the field. He has the potential to be as good as any mlb in this league, or to be part of the Bills hex. Son of a B word, ya know?

2) The pick/td by Schobel was a thing of beauty. He had a great game. You people should lay off of him, and you know who you are.

3) Holy s--t, has anybody ever seen a DE flagged for defensive f$&*$@g holding on a pass, (Denny, 1st quarter)? Wtf kind of defense is that? I nominate Jauron/Fewell to the douchbag hall of fame. Do I have a second?

4) Stroud is a monster, but every other DT on this team is so-so at best. He simply can't do it alone; he is gonna wear down.

5) Other than his late hit, was Donte Whitner on the field tonight? All kidding aside, please fill me in if he was.

6) Not that you should care, but imo Levitre was superb. I saw him get elbowed in the face and not give ground. He is already a huge step up from Dockery; it isn't close. Case closed.

7) The thing about the no-huddle is that it goes against my grain as a football traditionalist. That said, I would rather have the game in the hands of a smart guy from Stanford than a skeletor nitwit from Yale.

8) McKelvin isn't a bad player. He is simply another wasted pick by at least one douchebag.

9) How long I have I been posting here. 11 years? 12 years> I stake my reputation as a poster that Bell is a bag of s--t. He is weak, stupid, and never will be any good. I hope to be wrong, but it is evident. I am calling for Chambers right now.

10) Trent was very good tonight. People, admit it. If one or two of those dropped were caught, we win.

11) Hang in there folks. We are going to suffer, but we really might get better.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't agree with you on Bell. I think he'll prove to be solid and Leodis will play better. The rest you are pretty much on target. I thought Hang could have done a better job with Wilfork. I thought Wood and Levitre played played very well. Is Fred Jackson better than Marshawn?

I can't agree with you on Bell. I think he'll prove to be solid and Leodis will play better. The rest you are pretty much on target. I thought Hang could have done a better job with Wilfork. I thought Wood and Levitre played played very well. Is Fred Jackson better than Marshawn?

Bell is hidden well in the stunt lineman plays. His athleticism and footwork are nice. If you get him out in space, he's fast and can bury a linebacker or even a lineman because he'll have a head of steam and is agile enough to cut guys off from the point of attack. It's great to see and with the other guys out there with him, it was like watching Denver's lines for the last decade.

But, and it's a big but, his strength is questionable. He will get owned a few times a game on a bull rush (as was seen last night on what might have been one of the worst lineman plays ever). If Trent does a straight drop and wants to look downfield to the WRs, he better have a tight end or RB there to back up Bell.

The penalties were bad but I am willing to give him a pass in game 1. If he's drawing 4 penalties a game in game 4, it will be a problem (he got flagged for 4 penalties, remember, because one was declined because he gave up the sack).

Bell is hidden well in the stunt lineman plays. His athleticism and footwork are nice. If you get him out in space, he's fast and can bury a linebacker or even a lineman because he'll have a head of steam and is agile enough to cut guys off from the point of attack. It's great to see and with the other guys out there with him, it was like watching Denver's lines for the last decade.

But, and it's a big but, his strength is questionable. He will get owned a few times a game on a bull rush (as was seen last night on what might have been one of the worst lineman plays ever). If Trent does a straight drop and wants to look downfield to the WRs, he better have a tight end or RB there to back up Bell.

The penalties were bad but I am willing to give him a pass in game 1. If he's drawing 4 penalties a game in game 4, it will be a problem (he got flagged for 4 penalties, remember, because one was declined because he gave up the sack).

Thank you for a well stated post.

I also want to emphasize just how well Levitre played. I didn't see any preseason after game 1, and he was taking heat on this board. I totally liken him to Eric Steinbach, and these guys are worth their weight in gold. He won't make the hall of fame. He isn't Gene Upshaw or Larry Little, but he looks GOOD. You and I and anyone else can blast the Bills org. all day, but taking him imo was a brilliant move, especially after drafting Wood.

This game took an unusual toll on me. My initial post was fueled by anger. Bell? Maybe he is great. Maybe he is good. Maybe he can serve as a stop-gap. Maybe he is destined to mediocrity. Maybe he sucks. My reaction was too strong, but in any scenario, the kid isn't ready imo. Not even close, and I would like to see Chambers in there.

Jmo.

This game took an unusual toll on me. My initial post was fueled by anger. Bell? Maybe he is great. Maybe he is good. Maybe he can serve as a stop-gap. Maybe he is destined to mediocrity. Maybe he sucks. My reaction was too strong, but in any scenario, the kid isn't ready imo. Not even close, and I would like to see Chambers in there.

Not ready is probably right but the way he gets out in front of a play was great to see. Seriously Bill: when was the last time you saw 2 and 3 linemen out in front of a RB on a screen or a pitch? It's been years and it plays to Bell's gifts. Whether Chambers can do that is questionable.

How teams take advantage of Bell's lack of strength--and how the Bills hide it--remains to be seen. LT is the biggest offensive question mark and we'll all just have to keep watching.

Upset after Monday? Go figure. I'm still in sleep debt for the MNF debacle. I'm headed up for Sunday's game so I'm trying to rebuild my fandom. Again. Again. Again.

Upset after Monday? Go figure. I'm still in sleep debt for the MNF debacle. I'm headed up for Sunday's game so I'm trying to rebuild my fandom. Again. Again. Again.

Life as a Bills fan ... well explained. Time to move on to next Sunday. Let's hope the Bills build on the positives displayed this past Sunday.

Almost 500 yards surrendered is not a good game by any defense. Having surrendered 500 yards, they were fortunate to only give up 25 points. You cannot say otherwise. And you can't ignore the last 5 minutes either. Losing Poz made a difference and the defense did not play well. Looking back, the Bills defense got worse as the game wore on and I was not left with much optimism about the defense.

Good point about the 500 yards surrendered. Another thing to take into account is that, at least in the first half, New England's offense was having an off day. There were a lot of dropped passes, or throws that were a little off. A lot of drives stalled because of New England messing up; and not because of good defensive plays we'd made.

Imagine how much worse the yardage and time of possession stats would look if New England's offense had been as good the whole game as it had been late in the second half!

We will never beat the best teams in this league unless we can disrupt the quarterback. Especially late in the game. NE, Pittsburgh, Tenn, Baltimore, Philly, GB all do. We don't.

Even of draft day and UFA the Bills have become a DJ team. Instead of being the NYG and drafting pass rushers early and often, DJ chooses to take DB's who sit in zone coverage and wait for the pass to be thrown. All real football fans know the first and best way to stop a passing game is by having 2-3 guys who can get to the QB. We know Schobel still has some ability, but neither Kelsay nor Denney will ever be threats that other teams will plan for. Maybin has a long way to go, but depending on him to improve a pass rush was not realistic.

We draft DB's and successful teams take pass rushers. No wonder the pass defense has worsened every year since DJ took over. At least we've got 11 DB's on the roster that can watch Brees on 9/27.

Even of draft day and UFA the Bills have become a DJ team. Instead of being the NYG and drafting pass rushers early and often, DJ chooses to take DB's who sit in zone coverage and wait for the pass to be thrown. All real football fans know the first and best way to stop a passing game is by having 2-3 guys who can get to the QB. We know Schobel still has some ability, but neither Kelsay nor Denney will ever be threats that other teams will plan for. Maybin has a long way to go, but depending on him to improve a pass rush was not realistic.

We draft DB's and successful teams take pass rushers. No wonder the pass defense has worsened every year since DJ took over. At least we've got 11 DB's on the roster that can watch Brees on 9/27.

Aaron Maybin?