A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

1) When Poz went down, our weakness up the middle was fully exposed. Poz was flying all over the field. He has the potential to be as good as any mlb in this league, or to be part of the Bills hex. Son of a B word, ya know?

I heard Marv say that the loss of Poz for any length of time would be devastating.

2) The pick/td by Schobel was a thing of beauty. He had a great game. You people should lay off of him, and you know who you are.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've seen a slight improvement in his play now that he's recovered from his injury. It was very subtle, and something that might slip past you unless you were paying close attention. As I happened to be, on the play you've mentioned.

5) Other than his late hit, was Donte Whitner on the field tonight? All kidding aside, please fill me in if he was.

I noticed him on the field. The Patriots were in a third and goal situation, and decided to pass the ball. Whitner was out of position on that pass play, but the Patriots failed to capitalize due to uncharacteristically poor execution. After the pass fell incomplete, Whitner distinguished himself by cheering emphatically.

6) Not that you should care, but imo Levitre was superb.

I care!

8) McKelvin isn't a bad player. He is simply another wasted pick by at least one douchebag.

Marv expressed concerns about McKelvin's tackling and his ball protection on special teams plays. I agree with you that thus far, he hasn't lived up to his draft status. But in fairness to the front office, McKelvin was expected to be off the boards before the Bills picked; so it's not like he was a Donte Whitner style reach.

9) How long I have I been posting here. 11 years? 12 years> I stake my reputation as a poster that Bell is a bag of s--t. He is weak, stupid, and never will be any good. I hope to be wrong, but it is evident. I am calling for Chambers right now.

I don't claim to have the same level of insight into offensive line play that you do. But that said, I too was deeply unhappy with Bell's level of play. Unless he improves dramatically, LT will be the Bills' number one need this coming offseason.

10) Trent was very good tonight. People, admit it. If one or two of those dropped were caught, we win.

No question there. I'd had some concerns about Trent, based on the second half of last season. Last night, he put a lot of those concerns to rest.

11) Hang in there folks. We are going to suffer, but we really might get better.

I have to say that even though the Bills lost in a heartbreaker, they played a lot better than I'd expected. There are still serious problems that need to be corrected (dropped passes, our LT situation, etc.) but a lot of the young guys came out and had very solid games! :lol: Wood, Levitre, Nelson, Edwards, etc. I think that we won't see the true effect of those positives until next year, when some of our current holes have been filled.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, enjoy your assessment of the game. My only comment is that I think it is a rush to judgment on Bell. True, he had a horrible game, but let's just see how he develops over the 1st half of the season. Obviously the coaching staff saw enough in him to move forward with him. Furthermore, we don't really know just how well his back is healed. Perhaps it is not as far along as said. It was his very 1st NFL start and against no less than the Patriots in a hostile environment. I think it's too early to write Bell off.

What game were you watching? Bills gave up almost 500 yards of offense, most of it in quarters 2-4. The defense had a few stops and the Pats helped with drops. Game was closer to a 25 point Pats win than you think.

I don't know what game you were watching. They had 13 points with 5 minutes to play.

As always, enjoy your assessment of the game. My only comment is that I think it is a rush to judgment on Bell. True, he had a horrible game, but let's just see how he develops over the 1st half of the season. Obviously the coaching staff saw enough in him to move forward with him. Furthermore, we don't really know just how well his back is healed. Perhaps it is not as far along as said. It was his very 1st NFL start and against no less than the Patriots in a hostile environment. I think it's too early to write Bell off.

Agreed. Bell looked rough at times and had a few bad penalties. But lets not forget, he also got the least amount of playing time during the TC and Preseason due to not being named the starter and having the back injury. He's been practicing with the starting line for what.. a week? So, you have to expect him to look pretty rough last night.

It'll be really interesting to see how/if he progresses over the next couple of weeks.

Monday Night Football has become the Buffalo Bills' fans version of watching a Freddie Krueger movie.

No doubt...the Bills play the part of the hot chick running around in her underwear, fighting off the killer, so they think, stopping to catch their breath, as the killer crops up one more time... this time there was no boyfriend (thought long dead) to save the day... :lol:

No doubt...the Bills play the part of the hot chick running around in her underwear, fighting off the killer, so they think, stopping to catch their breath, as the killer crops up one more time... this time there was no boyfriend (thought long dead) to save the day... :lol:

I see the Bills more as the guy who walks into the bedroom, closes the door and stands there looking at the hot chick he's going to get laid with only to have a machete come through the door and split him in two from the balls up.

I didn't like a lot of what I saw, but ultimately you are right.

This game really got to me and I think I let my temper get a little out of control. :lol:

I see the Bills more as the guy who walks into the bedroom, closes the door and stands there looking at the hot chick he's going to get laid with only to have a machete come through the door and split him in two from the balls up.

I think the Bills are like the police officer who shows up to catch the killer, only to be killed in a humiliating fashion that everyone watching saw coming.

1) When Poz went down, our weakness up the middle was fully exposed. Poz was flying all over the field. He has the potential to be as good as any mlb in this league, or to be part of the Bills hex. Son of a B word, ya know?

2) The pick/td by Schobel was a thing of beauty. He had a great game. You people should lay off of him, and you know who you are.

3) Holy s--t, has anybody ever seen a DE flagged for defensive f$&*$@g holding on a pass, (Denny, 1st quarter)? Wtf kind of defense is that? I nominate Jauron/Fewell to the douchbag hall of fame. Do I have a second?

4) Stroud is a monster, but every other DT on this team is so-so at best. He simply can't do it alone; he is gonna wear down.

5) Other than his late hit, was Donte Whitner on the field tonight? All kidding aside, please fill me in if he was.

6) Not that you should care, but imo Levitre was superb. I saw him get elbowed in the face and not give ground. He is already a huge step up from Dockery; it isn't close. Case closed.

7) The thing about the no-huddle is that it goes against my grain as a football traditionalist. That said, I would rather have the game in the hands of a smart guy from Stanford than a skeletor nitwit from Yale.

8) McKelvin isn't a bad player. He is simply another wasted pick by at least one douchebag.

9) How long I have I been posting here. 11 years? 12 years> I stake my reputation as a poster that Bell is a bag of s--t. He is weak, stupid, and never will be any good. I hope to be wrong, but it is evident. I am calling for Chambers right now.

10) Trent was very good tonight. People, admit it. If one or two of those dropped were caught, we win.

11) Hang in there folks. We are going to suffer, but we really might get better.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As usual Bill, good post from the game. I really can not blame this game on the coaching. I thought it was interesting about the McKelvin fumble. He fumbled on the previous return but Nic Harris was in the right spot to pick it up. Bottom line is, I do not think McKelvin is going to forget about this and we'll see if it makes him a stronger player than before. I think it will and coming home this upcoming week to play the Bucs is going to help. The best way to solve this already heartbreaking game from 2009-2010 is to get a win against the Bucs.

This game really got to me and I think I let my temper get a little out of control. :lol:

I can relate - also agree with the notion that it is way too early to assess what we have in Bell. The two illegal formation penalties should be easily solved. Hopefully experience will help address the other issues.

I didn't like a lot of what I saw, but ultimately you are right.

My dad is a long-time Bills fan and he's made it clear that he won't be, "led up the mountain anymore."

Man was he right last night. Some teams are known for finishing an opponent, but the Bills find ways to finish themselves. After that game, I think emotions ran high, especially considering Buffalo played NE.

3) Holy s--t, has anybody ever seen a DE flagged for defensive f$&*$@g holding on a pass, (Denny, 1st quarter)? Wtf kind of defense is that? I nominate Jauron/Fewell to the douchbag hall of fame. Do I have a second?

4) Stroud is a monster, but every other DT on this team is so-so at best. He simply can't do it alone; he is gonna wear down.

6) Not that you should care, but imo Levitre was superb. I saw him get elbowed in the face and not give ground. He is already a huge step up from Dockery; it isn't close. Case closed.

7) The thing about the no-huddle is that it goes against my grain as a football traditionalist. That said, I would rather have the game in the hands of a smart guy from Stanford than a skeletor nitwit from Yale.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jauron did not cause the loss yesterday. ps. i like your points 10-12!

did anyone see that piece of garbage Teddy Brischi on Sportscenter last night? He kept saying that the Patriots prepare for that type of situation, they practice for being two scores down in 5 mins, blah, blah, blah.

What he should have said was that if McKelvin didn't fumble game over. Bills win.

!@#$ Bruschi anyway. He sounds like a moron when he talks but those !@#$ers at ESPN are going to cram him down our throats.

Yeah, I noticed that too, maybe the side effects of the stroke haven't worn off yet, being able to put

two syllables togerther in front of a National Audience, is not a prerequisite to broadcasting NFL games,

apparently.

All those DBs sure helped us contain their passing game, didn't it? Second half, especially.

Brady shook off the rust and our DL started to run out of gas... combined with injures for which we have next to nothing for depth. But we've got DBs! Thank God Almighty, Dick, we've got DBs!!!!

Really? We're supposed to cover Wes Welker on a 3 yard out pattern? We gave the Pats the bare minimum, made a few mistakes at the end, and it cost us. Don't blame it on the DB's. The only guy who really screwed up in coverage with Ellison on Watson.

Regarding Bill's comments:

Way way way way off on Whitner. That was one of his best games as a Bill. Seriously, if you missed him making a number of clutch tackles than you must have had your eyes closed.

And on Bell - I have no idea how you can come to that conclusion already. Sounds like blind hatred.

My Own Thoughts (now that I have recovered from last evening)

-The Bills should have won the game. But it would have been because the Patriots played poorly, not because the Bills played well.

I'm sorry I stopped reading your post here. No use in going on.

I don't know what game you were watching. They had 13 points with 5 minutes to play.

Almost 500 yards surrendered is not a good game by any defense. Having surrendered 500 yards, they were fortunate to only give up 25 points. You cannot say otherwise. And you can't ignore the last 5 minutes either. Losing Poz made a difference and the defense did not play well. Looking back, the Bills defense got worse as the game wore on and I was not left with much optimism about the defense.