Maybin in tears

Are we really suppose to bvelieve that he was "crying" because he could not play? That is horsecr@p. He can sign when he wants and his manager could solve the issue with a stroke of the pen. He will make millions period. I do not begrudge him the opportunity to get as much as is possible but please he is bracketed already. Crabtree is not relevant. Time to move on and sign a contract.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a giant pile of steaming crap. If he wanted to play so F'in bad, he should have studied in school. That way he wouldn't need an agent and could have signed for whatever the offer before camp started was and he wouldn't have had to sit home and cry. If he was his own agent and loved the game so much, he would have saved 10% and probably made more than what he will eventually get in the long run. Jesus. Grow a pair buddy. Spare us the crying game. We ain't buying it.

Or a kid who is hungry to play football. Face it, it is a business first. Would anyone of you settle for less money if you had the choice? And I don't believe Maybin represents himself in contract talks.

Google sarcasm.

i'm with the overwhelming majority here.. if he was that desperate to play he'd be here now practicing with the team.

i was for the pick during the draft, but the longer he holds out, the less useful he is to the team.

as we saw during the HOF game, we had no pass rush whatsoever.. this is going to be a long, long season for the defense

I've got a novel idea....how about the Bills signing him for a little more just to get him into camp? What's a few extra million from a franchise worth $750M or whatever it is they're worth. If Maybin plays well, then it is money well spent. If not, chalk it up to the price to compete now-a-days.

I'd love to see him in camp like everyone else, but there are two sides to this whole negotiation thing.

And Maybin's agent joins the board. :o

If he wants to be in camp...He tells his agent to make a deal...His agent works for him...NOT the other way around.

This has to be the dumbest thread in months here.

Only Maybin, not his agent, can sign a contract on his behalf. This ends when he says it ends.

This guy was a stretch (situational pass rusher who parlayed a single good college year into a career) in the first round to begin with, now he's holding out?? He should be running to sign the check.

This guy was a stretch (situational pass rusher who parlayed a single good college year into a career) in the first round to begin with, now he's holding out??

I think part of the reason he is holding out could be that deep down he knows this is true and figures he better get the best first deal possible seeing there likely won't be a second one.

I really hope that isn't true though because the world of Bills fans know we need a pass rush as much as anything on the team.... but he reminds me way too much of Flowers for some reason.

And Maybin's agent joins the board. :o

If he wants to be in camp...He tells his agent to make a deal...His agent works for him...NOT the other way around.

Sure....

My point is why all the pressure on the Maybin camp The Bills have just as much power to improve their offer as Maybin has to accept a lower offer. Other franchises went a little over the top trying in order to sign their draft picks early...Look at Mark Sanchez and Darius Hayward Bey.

I'd cry too, if there were millions within my grasp...and be happy to say that the reason for my sobbing was my love of the game and go on and wring my hands about these evil forces all around me. Those forces that can't find their way to give me more millions so I can dry my eyes and unburden my heavy heart.

It's tough being 21, and not being able to sign a contract for millions of dollars. I'm a victim of needing more money. It's not my fault! - that darn extra money is keeping me away from - my love of the game.

You and I are normally on the same page, stuckincincy, especially lately. So please don't mind if I feel the need to second your posts.

I couldn't agree more with you more, my friend, and very well said.

Maybin - either tack 5% onto last year's #11 pick salary, or do subtle derivations between the closest signed guys to you, top and bottom, come up with a number and get into to camp.

The thing I take offense with the most is Whitner and Mitchells comments. You don't know how the process works blah, blah, blah. Get over yourselves, 2 mediocre talents running there mouths.

Telling the kid to wait it out we know what you're going through. Give me a break.

I am with C.Biscuit on this (unless he was being sarcastic)

If a player is stoic and refuses to negotiate quickly, he is an a**hole (e.g. Peters). And if a player is reported to be unhappy because he cannot play, he is a sissy ? Come on guys, perhaps this article is for publicity but I rather read a story about a rook feeling bad that he cannot play, than one about one who is goofing off unconcerned about what stage the off-season is in. I see in this story a guy wanting to get on the field and learn. In my books, that is quite all right.

For our team's sake, I really hope he is the hard-working type and turns out to be a dominating player.

Contracts are a 2 way street.

The people at OBD wanted Wood and Levetre in camp so they can get as many reps before the season as they can.

They did it for them, why not the same for Maybin??? This waiting for other players to sign is Bulls%&t.

Time for the Bills to be leaders not followers for a change.

As Sunday's game proved they Maybin just as bad as they do both the rookie guards.

Get R Done Russ

His agent works for him...NOT the other way around.

This minor detail is apparently lost on certain posters in this thread.

This guy was a stretch (situational pass rusher who parlayed a single good college year into a career) in the first round to begin with, now he's holding out?? He should be running to sign the check.

Agreed. This hold out will only add fuel to the fire when he's of little value this season.

I am with C.Biscuit on this (unless he was being sarcastic)

If a player is stoic and refuses to negotiate quickly, he is an a**hole (e.g. Peters). And if a player is reported to be unhappy because he cannot play, he is a sissy ? Come on guys, perhaps this article is for publicity but I rather read a story about a rook feeling bad that he cannot play, than one about one who is goofing off unconcerned about what stage the off-season is in. I see in this story a guy wanting to get on the field and learn. In my books, that is quite all right.

For our team's sake, I really hope he is the hard-working type and turns out to be a dominating player.

What is this BS: "he cannot play"??? Is he injured? No, he's holding out for more money.

Save your empathy for people who deserve it. Have some dignity.

Unbelievable.

What is this BS: "he cannot play"??? Is he injured? No, he's holding out for more money.

Save your empathy for people who deserve it. Have some dignity.

Unbelievable.

He cannot play because he does not have a contract in place. Reason he does not is because of some imaginary salary slotting. I am not empathizing with him because of the monetary issue. My point is that I want a player on the team who is eager to get the paperwork out of the way so he can practice and help the team. I want a hungry, dedicated and motivated player.

What is so unbelievable about that ?

You and I are normally on the same page, stuckincincy, especially lately. So please don't mind if I feel the need to second your posts.

I couldn't agree more with you more, my friend, and very well said.

Maybin - either tack 5% onto last year's #11 pick salary, or do subtle derivations between the closest signed guys to you, top and bottom, come up with a number and get into to camp.

Feel free to rip anything I post to shreds! :o

This Maybin thing is probably just the usual drama queen stuff that seems to waft around high picks not yet signed. WRs seem to get the Oscar for such...

I'm interested to see him play - I can't recall watching him at PSU last year. I read words like "one-trick pony" and can't play the run etc. And that he's greased lightening off the edge.

So...we have something to look forward to.

Feel free to rip anything I post to shreds! :o

This Maybin thing is probably just the usual drama queen stuff that seems to waft around high picks not yet signed. WRs seem to get the Oscar for such...

I'm interested to see him play - I can't recall watching him at PSU last year. I read words like "one-trick pony" and can't play the run etc. And that he's greased lightening off the edge.

So...we have something to look forward to.

<_<

I read my post again and considering my poor writing skills I thought to myself why didn't I just say, "great point, cincy, I agree." but nnoooooo I had to get wordy!!!

Yeah, I want to see the goods, too. He needs to get in.

This is ridiculous. Why does he feel he is completely powerless in what contract he gets? His love of money and his stubborn agent is greater than his love for football. This has nothing to do with "knowing the business" because he would've been in camp already if he had a different agent.

He cannot play because he does not have a contract in place. Reason he does not is because of some imaginary salary slotting. I am not empathizing with him because of the monetary issue. My point is that I want a player on the team who is eager to get the paperwork out of the way so he can practice and help the team. I want a hungry, dedicated and motivated player.

If he is really truly hungry to play then this has to happen

Maybin....calls agent tells him" if you want to have me as a client then get the contract done before the week is out or I will Donald Trump your ass and say your FIRED"

Agent.."I trying to get me...err you all the money we err you can make"

Maybin.. You have 1 week because I want to be on the field with my teammates cause they need me" click

End of discussion.

anything else he is holding out for more bread.

I have no hate for the guy but please spare me the crying about not being on the field and make it happen.

I think the issue is that he (or his people; it's unclear) are using an implausible excuse -- needing to wait until #10 is signed -- to explain his inability to come to terms. On its face, it's a ridiculous argument, which is why people are responding the way they are.

One thought of mine -- there were a couple of reports that he didn't look all that good in minicamps, so I could see the Bills holding their ground and deciding that he's not good enough to overpay slightly. That's purely speculation on my part, but buyer's remorse goes on all the time in the NFL. Just look at Glenn Dorsey, whose now being ritually humiliated at training camp for his perceived inadequacies:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/08/0...r-wrong-reasons

I doubt the Chiefs are happy that they're paying tens of millions of dollars to a guy who isn't any better than another LSU DT who comes a lot cheaper: Kyle Williams.

The problem with the Crabtree situation is that he isn't falling into line, which is what normally happens. His agent wants to get him paid as if he was a top 3-5 player. The fact is..he wasn't. He was the 10 pick. Expecting to get paid more than that is crazy. The fact is, however, by him holding out he may force the hand. The other players before and after Crabtree, are banking on the hope that he hits a big payday that would lead to them getting more money. Had he just accepted being picked 10th and taking that money it would be fine. His agent is doing the same thing, but he is going against the grain. Crabtree WAS NOT a top 5 pick and therefore should not be paid as such.

OK, Crabtree was not a top 5 pick and therefore should not be paid as such. Then logically Crabtree's salary doesn't factor into our emotional wreck of a draft picks contract. Crabtree should get $X therefore our emotional wreck of a draft pick deserves $X-$Y which will slot him between picks 10 & 12.

What exactly am I missing?

IF Crabtree does get more money than a player or two who were picked before him does that mean that our emotional wreck of a draft pick deserves more as well? Your answer above is no, so...no issue, no need to wait for Crabtree.

We need our emotional wreck in camp!

OK, Crabtree was not a top 5 pick and therefore should not be paid as such. Then logically Crabtree's salary doesn't factor into our emotional wreck of a draft picks contract. Crabtree should get $X therefore our emotional wreck of a draft pick deserves $X-$Y which will slot him between picks 10 & 12.

What exactly am I missing?

IF Crabtree does get more money than a player or two who were picked before him does that mean that our emotional wreck of a draft pick deserves more as well? Your answer above is no, so...no issue, no need to wait for Crabtree.

We need our emotional wreck in camp!

Nothing at all. I see it as you see it. They're giving dumb excuses blaming Crabtree, while they portray themselves as victims of the situation. They are as guilty for greed as is Crabtree and his agent.

The part about being a stretch is so wrong it's not even worth commenting on, but I agree he should have signed by now.

:o

I read my post again and considering my poor writing skills I thought to myself why didn't I just say, "great point, cincy, I agree." but nnoooooo I had to get wordy!!!

Yeah, I want to see the goods, too. He needs to get in.

Worry not - anyone could make a case for fitting me with a muzzle. I like to post for effect - from time to time... :lol:

I do some of my best work around 5 PM, when I then log off and get supper going.

<_<

The part about being a stretch is so wrong it's not even worth commenting on, but I agree he should have signed by now.

Is it so wrong NoDog? One season against marginal competition doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (how many Big 10 linemen were picked in the first 3 rounds?). We really don't know whether he was a stretch or not and we won't for a bit. Would I have picked him? Nope (but i'm just a guy on a message board).

Yer sacbee link wants me to log in.

hmmmm, not me. Here's the jist:

Michael Crabtree has become the El Niño of the NFL. That is, he's the guy you point to when things go wrong. Crops failed? It's Michael Crabtree. Mudslide? Michael Crabtree.

The latest person to cite the Michael Crabtree effect is Bills first-round draft pick Aaron Maybin, who blames his contract impasse on the fact that Crabtree hasn't signed.

Is it so wrong NoDog? One season against marginal competition doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (how many Big 10 linemen were picked in the first 3 rounds?). We really don't know whether he was a stretch or not and we won't for a bit. Would I have picked him? Nope (but i'm just a guy on a message board).

I was more talking about him being a 1st round pick. Most had him as one of the top pass rushers, if not the top. Sure there are concerns about whether he'll achieve success in the NFL, just as there are with any rookie, even the ones who seem to be "can't miss" prospects.

It's pretty apparent to me that most, if not all of you, who have responded to this thread either hate that he's holding out or just outright hate the pick. Am i happy that he's not playing, no. But it's not his damn fault. We are talking about millions of dollars here. He wants to play, but he's not going to rush into it until he is able to do the best for himself and his family. I want him to play as much as anyone, but all of you stop hating. My god, are you telling me that if you could make a million more or hundred thousand more here or there, you wouldn't take it. You f'ing crazy.

Last year, Derrick Harvey, DE, went 8th. He signed a 5-year, $23.8 million contract with the Jaguars.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Harvey#cite_note-2The contract contained $17.175 million in guaranteed money and $33.4 million if all the incentives and escalators are met. Maybin will sign for something within 10% of what Harvey signed for. He's not sacrificing millions by holding out. He's sacrificing (maybe) a small percentage of his money to almost insure he won't be able to contribute for most of the year.

That is bull sh-- and I don't believe his PR machine for one second.

Maybin's agent isn't so much negotiating for his client, but for future clients. If he agrees to a deal without Crabtree, the agent will suffer for not having parameters set.

Joel Segal, Lavar Arrington, even Maybin can say what they want. There's no requirement anywhere that says a player cannot sign without the picks around him being signed.

Maybin's agent isn't so much negotiating for his client, but for future clients. If he agrees to a deal without Crabtree, the agent will suffer for not having parameters set.

Joel Segal, Lavar Arrington, even Maybin can say what they want. There's no requirement anywhere that says a player cannot sign without the picks around him being signed.

Obviously there is no requirement. I'm just saying no agent would allow his client to sign until he is comfortable the market is set. And just so you know the client might always have the last say, but to think the agent has no leverage over his client is ridiculous. Most, if not all agents at this level, will not represent clients that do not follow their advice. So yes, Maybin could dump his agent if he really wanted to. If you actually think he needs to do that in order to prove his devotion to Buffalo you are nuts.

Every person who views football for the business that it is, understands why Maybin is doing this. I'm in no way a proponent of the NFL and how overly commercial it is. But, this issue cannot be understood until you accept the fact that it is a business and this is how it goes.