How many wins...

phypon

We are only two games into the season with the third coming very quickly. I've been biting my nails since the first game. Don't get me wrong, I love what I've seen so far. But with so much disappointment coupled with the hype that has surrounded previous years and teams, I'm still waiting for it all to go bad. I'm not expecting it, I'm very happy with the team. I see a lot of potential and a lot of improvement from years past. I have a lot of hope, but I think that I'm so used to making myself not get too excited so quickly, that I'm trying to keep an even keel within myself.

For instance, usually the first game of the year, for any team, both teams play hard and is really not indicative of who they will become for the season because they've had so long to work on their respective game plans and have no tape of what the opponent has done in previous games for the new season. We know that first hand.

I suppose my questions is, for anyone that what I'm saying makes sense to, what are your thoughts on the season so far and how many games do we need to win before you "accept" this team as a legitimate playoff contender?

(remember the year when we opened the season trouncing the pats* and then beating the Jags) I think we are beyond that. I think that if we have a good showing and a solid win over Joakland, we are for real.

Just my thoughts and my question to you guys.

Thanks for reading.

We are always legit in our own eyes....otherwise these guys won't be playing

As far as legit in the eyes of the national and local media, it will be when we beat the chargers 5 weeks from now....That win will definitely bring the Bills into national focus. In the last few years when push came to shove the Bills have lost games to the AFC Powerhouses in the Colts, Chargers, Jaguars, Steelers and their AFC East rival the Patriots. These 5 teams have consistently been in the playoffs year-in-year-out in the last 4-5 years...Once you start beating those teams we will get the recognition....But it all starts with the next game...You have to take out your opponents one game at a time.

We're as legitimate a contender as any other AFC team. I can't think of any that are CLEARLY better than us. Thats not to say things can't change...we can go 2-14 and pick first in the draft. But that wouldn't change the fact that, as of September 18, we ARE contenders.

At this point, the Steelers have been dominant in their wins against the Texans and the Browns (even though the score does not indicate that). I also think if the Titans with COllins play us on a neutral field, they will win the game in the trenches.

As far as legit in the eyes of the national and local media, it will be when we beat the chargers 5 weeks from now....That win will definitely bring the Bills into national focus. In the last few years when push came to shove the Bills have lost games to the AFC Powerhouses in the Colts, Chargers, Jaguars, Steelers and their AFC East rival the Patriots. These 5 teams have consistently been in the playoffs year-in-year-out in the last 4-5 years...Once you start beating those teams we will get the recognition.

You're right on with what you're saying. We're seemingly always "almost beating" the leaders. The Chargers game, as things stand now, will be a test. You have to believe they're being fully battle tested right now. They lose a heartbreaker Week 1 on a last-second play, and they lose a WTF'er Week 2 on a bad call. They're in a perfect position to make a run right now; they run through the weak stuff: Jets, Raiders, Fish, NE and Bills. I'm sure when the schedule came out, Charger fans were licking their chops. And to be honest, they're not too far from reality. Favre basically knows 3 or 4 plays from the Jets playbook. The Raiders suck, and if we don't beat them handily, then we suck, too. The fish suck, too. NE hasn't done anything to impress me with Cassell except barely escape the games they needed to barely escape against two shiitty teams. I think SD kicks the living shiiit out of them.

So assume the Chargers go on a 4-0 run, and take out the Jets, Raiders, Fish and NE, and then have to play on the road in Buffalo? If this team is real, the Bills win the game, and yes, that's when people in passing, in the office or on the phone, will suddenly say something to you like "Hey, you're Bills are looking pretty good lately."

Thanks for reading.

As others have said, we need to take care of business against the Raiders and Rams. But to answer your question, I will start getting that warm fuzzy if we beat Arizona (they look like they are poised to climb out of the perennial hole just like us) and if we beat the Chargers, we will be THE smoking hot team in the league. Even if we split the Cards & Chargers games, I will think we are for real.

You're right on with what you're saying. We're seemingly always "almost beating" the leaders. The Chargers game, as things stand now, will be a test. You have to believe they're being fully battle tested right now. They lose a heartbreaker Week 1 on a last-second play, and they lose a WTF'er Week 2 on a bad call. They're in a perfect position to make a run right now; they run through the weak stuff: Jets, Raiders, Fish, NE and Bills. I'm sure when the schedule came out, Charger fans were licking their chops. And to be honest, they're not too far from reality. Favre basically knows 3 or 4 plays from the Jets playbook. The Raiders suck, and if we don't beat them handily, then we suck, too. The fish suck, too. NE hasn't done anything to impress me with Cassell except barely escape the games they needed to barely escape against two shiitty teams. I think SD kicks the living shiiit out of them.

So assume the Chargers go on a 4-0 run, and take out the Jets, Raiders, Fish and NE, and then have to play on the road in Buffalo? If this team is real, the Bills win the game, and yes, that's when people in passing, in the office or on the phone, will suddenly say something to you like "Hey, you're Bills are looking pretty good lately."

Let's take it one step further. Assume the Chargers only go 3-1, losing only to the Pats*. Would the Chargers still be considered "the test"?

How about if the Chargers go 2-2? Losses to NE and the Jets (Favre now knows 8 plays).

Personally, the Bills are contenders NOW. With the loss of Brady, NE no longer has a lock on the division title, and the soft schedule being dealt to the Bills, a wildcard spot is practically being handed to us. Anything less, a certain HC of a certain Buffalo team needs to be shown the door. Excuse time is over.

Kind of a hard question to answer if you don't qualify the number of wins by what week. For example, if I say "4 wins" this could mean 4 wins by week 4 or 4 wins by week 12 (or any other week). Ignoring week #, by any week of the season, I would say we are definite contenders by 9 wins total. By 8 wins, we will be contenders, but not necessarily "legitimate".

2 wins so far means absolutely nothing. Look what happened in 2003. We beat 2 playoff teams to start 2-0, then flopped the rest of the season - finishing 6-10. I will say we are "beyond that" when we see it. Sorry to be a pessimist, but its been sooooooo long.

Wow. Awesome responses guys. Thank you for that.

I really want to expound upon my original post, but I'm not in a proper state of mind to do so at the moment.

At any rate, I would love to hear what others think as well.

One thing I have to say, is that I really enjoy the meaningful input from posters on this board. Very thought out and very substantial.

Thanks again and I will add more of my thoughts tomorrow.

We are only two games into the season with the third coming very quickly. I've been biting my nails since the first game. Don't get me wrong, I love what I've seen so far. But with so much disappointment coupled with the hype that has surrounded previous years and teams, I'm still waiting for it all to go bad. I'm not expecting it, I'm very happy with the team. I see a lot of potential and a lot of improvement from years past. I have a lot of hope, but I think that I'm so used to making myself not get too excited so quickly, that I'm trying to keep an even keel within myself.

For instance, usually the first game of the year, for any team, both teams play hard and is really not indicative of who they will become for the season because they've had so long to work on their respective game plans and have no tape of what the opponent has done in previous games for the new season. We know that first hand.

I suppose my questions is, for anyone that what I'm saying makes sense to, what are your thoughts on the season so far and how many games do we need to win before you "accept" this team as a legitimate playoff contender?

(remember the year when we opened the season trouncing the pats* and then beating the Jags) I think we are beyond that. I think that if we have a good showing and a solid win over Joakland, we are for real.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for reading.

I believe the Bills will win 11 games, and that is conservative. The wins in addition to Seattle and JAX: Oak, @ St Louis, @ Arizona, @ Mia, NYJ, SF, CLE, Mia, NE. I think people see the Bills legit now and that is due to how sharp, especially mentally, the Bills have been in the first two games. Yes tackling could have been better vs JAX but the heat eventually wears on you. The D came up big when they absolutely had to, however. You research through the course of most playoff teams seasons and you will notice that the better records were with teams who beat up on the weak schedule. That is nothing to apologize for. The weaker schedule has more advantages than people realize: starters can rest sooner, backups play more, depth is indirectly built through out the team and, USUALLY, injuries are at a minimum. And oh BTW, the skill starts such as RB and QB ususally are well oiled and not as beat up for the playoffs vs those of teams with tougher schedules.

San Diego has feasted on a weak AFC West the last few years, Indy always wins the games they are supposed to, ditto for NE.

If the National Media wants to paint the NFC East as the Super Division, fine. Those teams will beat the crap out of each other then lose out early in the playoffs because of how worn down they have become. I will not be impressed with Romo till he does something special in the playoffs. D will still win championships, not Romo to Owens or McNabb to Jackson or Eli to Burress.

With all this being said, the Bills are a contender and it is due to how they are performing in all three aspects of the game on the field for 60 minutes.

Wow. Awesome responses guys. Thank you for that.

I really want to expound upon my original post, but I'm not in a proper state of mind to do so at the moment.

At any rate, I would love to hear what others think as well.

One thing I have to say, is that I really enjoy the meaningful input from posters on this board. Very thought out and very substantial.

Thanks again and I will add more of my thoughts tomorrow.

You have to respect a man who knows when he's gone incoherent.

Bills as "Contenders"?

Proviso 1: The team has to maintain the "One-Game-At-A-Time" mentality. I think this could be Jauron's finest hour.

Proviso 2: The dreaded injury bug decides it's had enough feasting in Orchard Park, and shifts its focus elsewhere in 2008.

Given these provisos, The Bills hit two "Contender Levels" by the end of October/early November:

Contender Level 1: If they take care of business through the bye week (5-0), and then get by San Diego the week after the bye, they'll be one of the few major unbeaten teams out there at 6-0 with a couple of legitimate potential AFC playoff opponents under their belt (Jax and SD). Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the Bills will beat San Diego. The fact that it's in Orchard Park, however, means a LOT this year.

Contender Level 2: At that point, the next three games on the slate are the NYJ, Dolphins and Pats*. It is a real likelihood that - if Provisos 1 & 2 are still working - they could be 9-0.

Having just reasoned this all out in my head, I just typed that out, and it looks highly unlikely. I think the atmosphere might be a little rarified. They couldn't REALLY go 9-0, could they? Maybe I'M the one who has gone incoherent!

Yessir, that's all you'll ever find around here...'cept maybe after a loss. :devil:

I think people see the Bills legit now and that is due to how sharp, especially mentally, the Bills have been in the first two games.

You know, I think this is a big thing. I believe struggling through adversity, with some agonizing losses and missing the playoffs the last couple years has mentally toughened this team. With a coach like Jauron I just can't see them taking any game lightly or looking past anybody.

With the talent we have and the right attitude the wins will take care of themselves.

If we win on sunday, we only have to go 7-6 to make the playoffs...we should manage that easily.

Well, when you look at it that way... :( Still, every season there's one team that starts 4 or 5 and 0, then manages to lose 5 or 6 games in a row to miss or barely squeak by into a first round playoff exit. See "mental toughness" above for why I hope (and believe) that won't be us this year.

IMO, we ,<NFL fans> are bearing witness to a renaissance in the league. I think we've seen the last of truely powerful teams built for the long haul. Every team has great players and can beat any team at any time. The G-men as much as proved this theory last year. One could argue that Indy, NE, etc have fallen back to the back but I think it just exposes how no one can stay great when injuries hit key players. Now, more so than at any time in the past, pro teams can truely turn it around over the course of one season. The teams with chemistry and commitment to coaching staffs provide the only X-factor anymore regarding 'winning games you're supposed to win'. Therein, I believe the Bills have the X right now.

I really don't think we'll ever see a team like our '88 - '94 squads again. But that doesn't mean we won't win a Super Bowl or two in relatively short order with an ever changing roster. Any and everybody can!

Just my opinion.

As for how many wins it will take: just 1 -the LAST game!

I'm pumped up and excited as hell at the start the Bills have gotten off to, but I don't consider them real contenders until they secure a playoff spot. "Contenders" in my book means capable of winning it all. Get in the playoffs and anything can happen.

The team simply hasn't done enough in the past few years to be given the benefit of the doubt in terms of assuming they'll be there at the end. Too many times have they been in the running for a WC spot only the stumble in December – that being said, thus far this looks like an entirely different team. I hope it stays that way.

This is very unfair, but I think we could win the first FIVE games and some will argue we are not legitimate contenders. Easy schedule ...seattle and jacksonville had lots of critical injuries, then oakland, Arizona...well...you know the drill. Then we'll have the Yeah they are first in the AFC East but that's like being third anywhere else. I'm usually suspicious of the "we don't get no respect" talk...but frankly I don't think anyone is going to take us seriously until we actually WIN the first playoff game. On the other hand...it might not be too bad to have all of these teams not taking us seriously!

We're as legitimate a contender as any other AFC team. I can't think of any that are CLEARLY better than us. Thats not to say things can't change...we can go 2-14 and pick first in the draft. But that wouldn't change the fact that, as of September 18, we ARE contenders.

The Chargers game will be a big test, granted. To really be considered a legit "force" in the east you have to beat the Pats* in their house, PERIOD! :devil::(

Thanks for reading.

Win the next three and play a close game (even win) against San Diego.

Then I will be convinced.

Which is somewhat scary because it may hint that the NFC may be getting equal or better than the AFC.

If we can get to 6-2 we should be in good shape.

Then we face the Putz* 2x (4 or 5 weeks after their bye), Browns @ home and Bronco's on the road.

This is very unfair, but I think we could win the first FIVE games and some will argue we are not legitimate contenders. Easy schedule ...seattle and jacksonville had lots of critical injuries, then oakland, Arizona...well...you know the drill. Then we'll have the Yeah they are first in the AFC East but that's like being third anywhere else. I'm usually suspicious of the "we don't get no respect" talk...but frankly I don't think anyone is going to take us seriously until we actually WIN the first playoff game. On the other hand...it might not be too bad to have all of these teams not taking us seriously!

fans and the media might not take us seriously but any coach worth a damn isnt going to overlook us. Ya we beat up some beat up teams but if you watch those games, one team wanted it more in both cases and that was us. The beat down of the seahawks, that team couldnt wait to leave after the third quarter and jacksonvile wilted in their own heat after having all the momentum and dominating the second half.

This team will be physical week in and week out. I have full confidence in this team after watching the preseason and the first two games that even if we are overmatched, physcially or underprepared it will still be a fight and we have the play makers to win those close games. Its going to be a fun season.

Plus once the Jets get demolished on monday night and the pats lose a few we are the favorites to win the east and that has to be recognized

I'd rather be the underdog, and flying under the radar. A lot of people in the sports media had us pegged from anywhere between 7-9 to 9-7, finishing 2nd or 3rd in the AFC East. All 3 phases of our team are working very well, when you have that, you're gonna win a lot of games. We're only going to get better as the season progresses.

I'll think we're a contender when we have 10 wins, or twice as many wins as losses a minimum of 9 games into the season.

I'll think we have a realistic chance of winning the Superbowl when we have 12 wins, win the Wildcad game convincingly, or are ahead in the AFC Campionship game.

In my opinion, you can tell with your eyes- don't even look at standings. I think we are a fringe contender, but not a superbowl contender. We have a shot at a first round upset, but it wnds there. Too thin at DT, not good enough at DE or WR. Too inexperienced at QB.

I will say that I expect New England to deteriorate as the season goes on- except for their line, they are pretty old on defense- and that defense can only carry them for so long. Last season's offense is hurting them right now- they went too much on finesse and I don't see them getting to much of a power game with less that a full season to work on it.

We should finish with around 8-9 wins, IMHO, maybe better if our strong start continues (I can see 5-0 or 4-1 happening- and it should be 5-0 based on the college teams we play in the next 3 weeks)