Your first concert

First "real" concert (not classical or philharmonic) was either Ike and Tina Turner or Guess Who (both at Niagara University, we used to sneak in) late 60's or very early 70s. Both were excellent. Actually, Ike and Tina concert was best BEFORE Tina and the girls come out for the "show" part. Ike and the band were awesome. At the Guess Who, I was shocked by the talent of Burton Cummings.

Best concert? Wow, too hard to say. Among the best:

Oscar Peterson (at Kleinhans, I think, or perhaps at UB)), Sony Rollins (at the Blue Note), David Grisman Quintet (at the Tralf), The Outlaws and Les Dudek (in a REAL small ballroom at SUNY Albany playing REAL loud), Roy Buchanan (headlining a day long outdoor concert at SUNY Albany that included the likes of Vassar Clements and Frank Wakefield), Steely Dan (many locations, all great), Van Morrison (at the Masonic Temple in SF), Santana (various locations) and, believe it or not, The Rippingtons (at the now defunct Concerts by the Sea in Redondo Beach, CA)...to name a few.

TOSCA at Hamilton Place was pretty damn good, too!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First: John Denver :D - at the Aud as a little kid in the 70's - my older sister loved him and I think my whole family went. Special bonus - opening act = Starland Vocal Band ("Sky rockets in flight - Afternoon Delight!") :D

Best: SRV at the Poughkeepsie Civic Center late 80's - the place was empty - probably like a couple hundred people showed up - but he played his a$$ off. We just walked up and sat in the 2nd row. At one point he walked over and sat on the edge of the stage and people just gathered around him and he just played a couple songs sitting there with us all standing around him. F'ing awesome.

first was andy gibb and the alessi brothers at the onondaga war memorial, some time in '78, next one was december 14, 1978, Boston and Sammy Hagar...again Onon County War Memorial

like so many others, would have a damn hard time picking a favorite...too many great shows to pick a fav.

My first concert was Sinatra at the opening of the Worcester Centrum.

My first rock concert was Meatloaf in Worcester. I'm lucky I didn't give up on concerts right there. He was hideous. :D

I think the best show I've ever seen is U2 in Hartford during the Elevation tour, but the Pixies reunion show in Montreal is a very close second and the Foo Fighters at the Palladium in Worcester is a very close third.

First concert had to be god probably Blink182 in the late '90's.

Best shows- Edgefests w/ Billy Idol as headliner at the Pier and the one w/ Staind as headliner at DTP... nothing like two really hot days where you mosh heavily

Best Experience- Taking Back Sunday and Story of the Year at RIT last year: While moshing during Story of the Year, my ex knocks me from behind and this high schooler flies at me. My shoulder got right under his jaw, and just destroyed it. he was bleedling profusely from it... But then again, you 110 lb 15 year olds should not be in the pit w/ the big boys. I had to take my Counting Crows shirt off and chuck it cuz it was covered in the kid's blood :D But my ex definitely enjoyed my shirtless state for the rest of the nite :D

1stconcert was way back in 1982, at Sheas, BOC (Blue Oyster Cult).

155 more later and my favorite(s)

1987 & 1994 Pink Floyd shows in Toronto

other notable shows would include:

SRV w/ Johnny Winters at Darien Lake in 1990 just two months before he died

Monsters of Rock

Godsmack this summer at the Lake

Metallica and Aerosmith in Toronto

Queensyrche at Houise of Blues in Mrytel Beach (I met the nad afterwards)

Garth Brooks put on a great show - not a big music fan of his

Slayer and Testament in San Diego

Rik Emmett & Kim Mitchell

Judas Priest in 1983 in Niagara Falls, they kicked off the defenders of the Faith tour with the show.

I must be the oldest concert goer here.

First >>> Dave Clark 5 at Kleinhans.. 1964 or 1965...

Fav in Buffalo >> Led Zeppelin 1973 at the Aud ......Guess Who at Darien Lake

Fav in College>>> Allman Brothers (Duane's last concert 1971),,,warmup was Luther Allison and he was incredible

Latest fav >>> Trans Siberian Orchestra...entertaining as all get out

Yes - 90215 Tour, circa 1983 - Hartford Civic Center

Funny story; I couldn't get the ok from my parents to take the car up to Hartford for the show, but we figured they'd never know so my buddy and I took it and went anyway. Got up to Hartford early and was walking around when we saw a couple of nappy headed punks hassling some lady. We exchanged a few words with them but then moved on. About 20 minutes later we see a cop car with the two punks in the back seat and the women is there telling the cops that they tried to rob her. We make the mistake of walking by the cop car to point and laugh at them, at which point the women spots us and tells the cops we witnessed it, and they grab us and ask what we saw, etc.

So we go to the show and its great and we get home unscathed. But then about two months later a local cop pulls into my parents driveway to deliver a subpoena for me to go up to Hartford to testify at the punk's trial -- d'oh! busted! :D

First concert was Pantera in Erie in '95

Last concert was Nickelback in Norfolk last month

Best concert was Metallica in Pittsburgh in '97

I saw that Pantera tour too but at Darien Lake. That was the one where Phil hit the security guard in the head. It sucked because they didn't sell out and wound up opening the seating area to the GA folks (which means they paid half as much as I did but got in just as close). They only played like 6 songs because of that incident.

I've seen Nickleback too, with Chevelle, though I missed *all* of Chevelle due to Atlanta traffic. That was my wife's first.

Another good one was the Metallica at Darien Lake in 1994.

First concert had to be god probably Blink182 in the late '90's.

Best shows- Edgefests w/ Billy Idol as headliner at the Pier and the one w/ Staind as headliner at DTP... nothing like two really hot days where you mosh heavily

Best Experience- Taking Back Sunday and Story of the Year at RIT last year: While moshing during Story of the Year, my ex knocks me from behind and this high schooler flies at me. My shoulder got right under his jaw, and just destroyed it. he was bleedling profusely from it... But then again, you 110 lb 15 year olds should not be in the pit w/ the big boys. I had to take my Counting Crows shirt off and chuck it cuz it was covered in the kid's blood B-) But my ex definitely enjoyed my shirtless state for the rest of the nite :lol:

I've laid-low as it's pretty easy to take shots at some of the terrible bands people have bothered to see, and counted as their "best" concert. But, you have pushed me over the edge:

Billy Mother-Fuc#ing-IDOL? Really. That talentless POS? Really?

C'mon J-Mack, you can do better than that.

I've laid-low as it's pretty easy to take shots at some of the terrible bands people have bothered to see, and counted as their "best" concert. But, you have pushed me over the edge:

well even if you don't like billy idol, there was stilll our lady peace, Static-X, Flogging Molly and 30 Seconds to Mars, all of whom played really good sets, especuially 30 STM where frontman Jared Leto climbed up to the catwalk above the stage and walked across it without missin a beat

well even if you don't like billy idol, there was stilll our lady peace, Static-X, Flogging Molly and 30 Seconds to Mars, all of whom played really good sets, especuially 30 STM where frontman Jared Leto climbed up to the catwalk above the stage and walked across it without missin a beat

As for Flogging Molly, the drummer, George Schwindt. used to be the bartender at The Shack on Wilshire Blvd in West LA. Real nice guy and a hell of a drummer.

Now, I'm not sure what the actor Leto's stunt does to improve the quality of the band's music.

Hahahaha, I applaud your patience Dean. There have been quite a few that were questionable, but to each his own. I can't really remember having a bad time at any show, even some of the ones that I was less than enthused about attending. Of course, a responsible concert-goer always makes sure that the beers and smokes are in ample supply, thus guaranteeing a good time.

My beef is with those who gave the "impossible to name my favorite"....There has to be ONE that stands out....We have all been to a bunch of shows, and if we were willing to pay to see these bands, I'm sure more often than not they were as incredible as expected. But there must have been that time when your buddy got a flat on the way home and drove into a ditch, or the cops harrassed your tailgate and a friend hit his car with an egg....You know, good stuff like that....That's why I listed the Petty / Crowes show on a perfect day a few summers back...Of course the concert was great, but even better was hanging in the lot hours before the show with a HUGE group of friends, laughing, drinking, whipping the frisbee, and soaking up the sunshine.

As for most my most impressive, I saw a 22-year old Derek Trucks (nephew to the great Allman Bros drummer Butch Trucks) wailing on his guitar at a $5 show in a bar in Burlington, VT in summer of '01. There were about 30 people there and Trucks absolutely tore it up. The Allmans are one of my all-time favorite bands, so obviously I walked out of there mesmerized. Half of me wanted to run home and pick up my guitar, and the other half never wanted to touch a guitar again because of my comparative ineptness...I have seen Trucks solo since, and I've seen him with the Allmans many times, but I still marvel at it every time I think of that show...

Hahahaha, I applaud your patience Dean. There have been quite a few that were questionable, but to each his own. I can't really remember having a bad time at any show, even some of the ones that I was less than enthused about attending. Of course, a responsible concert-goer always makes sure that the beers and smokes are in ample supply, thus guaranteeing a good time.

My beef is with those who gave the "impossible to name my favorite"....There has to be ONE that stands out....We have all been to a bunch of shows, and if we were willing to pay to see these bands, I'm sure more often than not they were as incredible as expected. But there must have been that time when your buddy got a flat on the way home and drove into a ditch, or the cops harrassed your tailgate and a friend hit his car with an egg....You know, good stuff like that....That's why I listed the Petty / Crowes show on a perfect day a few summers back...Of course the concert was great, but even better was hanging in the lot hours before the show with a HUGE group of friends, laughing, drinking, whipping the frisbee, and soaking up the sunshine.

As for most my most impressive, I saw a 22-year old Derek Trucks (nephew to the great Allman Bros drummer Butch Trucks) wailing on his guitar at a $5 show in a bar in Burlington, VT in summer of '01. There were about 30 people there and Trucks absolutely tore it up. The Allmans are one of my all-time favorite bands, so obviously I walked out of there mesmerized. Half of me wanted to run home and pick up my guitar, and the other half never wanted to touch a guitar again because of my comparative ineptness...I have seen Trucks solo since, and I've seen him with the Allmans many times, but I still marvel at it every time I think of that show...

Trucks and his band are great! I saw him free at the concerts at the canal in North Tonowanda . I never saw Duane with the Allmans, but a friend of mine says Derek is suspiciously similar in looks. and stage demeanor. to Duane.

Trucks and his band are great! I saw him free at the concerts at the canal in North Tonowanda . I never saw Duane with the Allmans, but a friend of mine says Derek is suspiciously similar in looks. and stage demeanor. to Duane.

Saw Gregg Allman at the Coach House last Thanksgiving. His son Devon and his band Honeytribe opened up. While Derek sounds an awful lot like Duane, Devon looks quite a bit like him. Looked it up, Devon was born aftert Duane died. B-)

Been listening to Derek quite a bit of late, the kid (and his band) are phenomenal!

FAV-- Triumph sport of Kings Tour at the War Memorial followed closely by Rush Grace Under Pressure show also at

the War Memorial.

I was at both of those.

First was Blue Oyster Cult in 84'

Best was Monsters of Rock in Philly 88'

Close second Whitesnake and Faster kitty Cat in Weedsport maybe 90'

Saw Aerosmith a bunch of times once w/ Ted Nugent and once with Motley Crue, both awesome shows.

Saw Clapton at the Aud in Buffalo, but it was "A night of the Blues" which was great, but not a real "Concert"

First concert was Steely Dan at Santa Monica Civic Aud 1973. Saw them twice again in 1974, the last real tour year.

Favorite(s):

Loggins & Messina's very last concert at Honolulu convention center--front row seats, dead center. 1976 or 77, can't remember now.

Eagles at Aloha Stadium--I think it was 1979/80? Jimmy Buffet opened, but I missed him because I passed out from the pakalolo and beer. I woke up as the Eagles started their first song--Hotel California. Ahhh...memories....

Pearl Jam at HSBC a few years ago. Current favorite concert band.

First concert was Steely Dan at Santa Monica Civic Aud 1973. Saw them twice again in 1974, the last real tour year.

Favorite(s):

Loggins & Messina's very last concert at Honolulu convention center--front row seats, dead center. 1976 or 77, can't remember now.

Eagles at Aloha Stadium--I think it was 1979/80? Jimmy Buffet opened, but I missed him because I passed out from the pakalolo and beer. I woke up as the Eagles started their first song--Hotel California. Ahhh...memories....

Pearl Jam at HSBC a few years ago. Current favorite concert band.

Lucy, 'splain!

First - Chicago at the Aud in the mid 70's

Favorites - U2, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, B.B. King

Most interesting not quite a concert - One night about 7 years ago, I was working late at my office building in Miami. I heard some music from the park across the street. It turns out, Shania Twain was doing a sound check for an outdoor concert that was going to take place the next day that was going to be televised on CBS. I went down to check it out. I essentially had a private concert with about 6 other people that happened to pass by as well as her crew. I stood about 10 feet from the stage and watched and listened to her sing about 5 songs. I am not much of a country music fan, but I was very impressed with Shania. Not only is she very attractive, she was very friendly to everyone there.

Saw Gregg Allman at the Coach House last Thanksgiving. His son Devon and his band Honeytribe opened up. While Derek sounds an awful lot like Duane, Devon looks quite a bit like him. Looked it up, Devon was born aftert Duane died. B-)

Been listening to Derek quite a bit of late, the kid (and his band) are phenomenal!

Great info, your Chefness.

BTW, when you said "Devon was born after Duane died" did you mean Derek? If so, more than 9 months after? :lol:

First concert in 1974 (I think) was David Bowie's 19-80-Floor Show at the Aud. One week later, I saw Frank Zappa at the Aud. Weirdest show had to be Kraftwerk, Sparks, and Greenslade at the old Century Theatre. That was in 1975.

Best concert ever? Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" tour (1983?) I saw them from the 4th row at Miami U in Oxford OH. The show literally blew me away. There is a DVD of that tour. I highly recommend seeing it.

PTR

Lucy, 'splain!

As you know, the somewhat original band stopped touring after Pretzel Logic. Fagen toured with different folks after they broke up (after Goucho). Then the reunion tour began in the 1990s. But Steely Dan (Becker and Fagen), with originals like Denny Dias and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, stopped touring in 1975.

First: Alice Cooper on the Billion Dollar Babies Tour New Year's Eve 1973 at the Aud

with ZZ Top opening.

Best: too many to say, so I'll just list the most recent,

Iggy & the Stooges at the 9:30 Club in DC last week.

That was the first concert I went to as well!!! Saw Black Sabbath at the NF Covnention Center a month or so afterwards, I think I was in 9th grade at the time!!

Probably the best was Commander Cody at the Tralf, sometime in the mid 80's.

I remember seeing The Bachman Turner Overdrive (!!!!) at the Salty Dog in Buffalo, got totally hammered and had a great time. I think the music was pretty good also.

First non-classical concert that I actually wanted to go to: Hum at the Tralf in '95.

Best ones: Radiohead at Air Canada Centre, I want to say 2000(?), Sigur Ros at Beacon Theatre 2002, Undertow Orchestra (Mark Eitzel, Vic Chesnutt, Dave Bazan and Will Johnson) at Bowery Ballroom, Tricky @ BB, REM and Centro-matic numerous times, Built to Spill 1998 at Brownies... I like far too much music to really single any one show out as the best of all.

Recently, the Books at Webster Hall were amazing.

Okay, another question for you forty somethins out there?

What was the name of the club that one of the promoters owned out by the airport I think.

I saw three great shows there

1) The Police in 80 0r 81

2) Aerosmith--under the name of Dr J and the All Stars i think(BTW,hateAerosmith, just cool to see them in a club setting)

3) Al Dimeola(sp)- John McGlaughlin- Paco deLuccia(sp)

I can picture the place, it was a yellow building but cannot remeber the name for the life of me!