Chris Brown's mini-camp blog...

http://buffalobills.com/blog/?blogger_id=1

...QB UPDATE: Craig Nall had his best passing day this offseason. His passes had more zip, he was more decisive in where he was going with the ball. Perhaps the light bulb is going on for him with respect to the offense because he wasn't hesitating and pumping and hitching like he had been in previous camps. He was also more accurate which was good to see, and as I suspected I wouldn't be surprised if it was because he didn't have to rush any of his throws. When he was slow to make some reads he would still try to stick a ball in a tight spot, but because his read was late, he'd try to muscle a ball in and it wouldn't get there in time or go for an INT. Today he was in a good rhythm.

Kelly Holcomb on the other hand was not his consistent self. His accuracy was off, he couldn't find a rhythm and made some poor choices with the football. One of his passes was tipped by Josh Stamer and intercepted by Jabari Greer in the end zone.

J.P. Losman performed well in the 2-minute drill. He effectively marched the team down the field. They started around their own 40 with exactly 2 minutes on the clock. They needed a TD and had a timeout at their disposal. It took him six plays to score. And Martin Nance had two big plays on the drive. He converted a 2nd-and-20 and the TD. George Wilson had a nice gainer too.

Kelly Holcomb ... made some poor choices with the football. .

707394[/snapback]

Is throwing a 1 yard pass on 4th and 10 a good decision or a bad one? If it's bad we're used to that.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/?blogger_id=1One of his passes was tipped by Josh Stamer and intercepted by Jabari Greer in the end zone

707394[/snapback]

Who would have thought that he ball would have enough velocity to be tipped that far...either that or Greer was velcroed to Stamer's back, or already lying on the ground

Who would have thought that he ball would have enough velocity to be tipped that far...either that or Greer was velcroed to Stamer's back, or already lying on the ground

707402[/snapback]

Now, be fair. The int took place in the end zone, so we can safely assume that the play started on the 5.

In general folks will have good days and bad days and its nice to see Nall have some good days after his last troubled outing so that he is in the normal context for his tryouts rather than having all bad days in practice which would likely write bust all over him.

The key is to make sure that one has your good days in the ones that count (generally Sundays in the regular season) or during the exhibition games as there three QBs are dueling.

It aounds like with first down then up performance by Nall, first up then down performance by Holcomb, and a continuation of OK but not earth shattering performance by JP, we remain on track for these men to keep dueling until pre-season performances decide this battle.

The critical element which appears necessary for the Bills to achieve success, are a set of consistent good performances by one of these three against real opponents, and Jauron being patient enough to resist the declarations from some to choose somebody and designate a QB starter based on rep or practice work. He reallly needs to see these QBs prove themself on the field in the first two pre-season games and let the chips fall where they may in picking one of these three.

In the end, I think it will matter more which way this funny shaoed ball happens to bounce in these games rather than anyone's assessment based on rep or past performance who should be our starting QB or not.

Now, be fair.  The int took place in the end zone, so we can safely assume that the play started on the 5.

707404[/snapback]

couldnt have been. if the play started on the 5, stamer would have had to been at the 3 to deflect holcomb's pass away from its intended receiver.

And Martin Nance had two big plays on the drive. He converted a 2nd-and-20 and the TD.

707394[/snapback]

I can see it now. KFFL will report "Undrafted rookie WR impresses coaches, may have shot at roster spot." Then it will get picked up by internet hacks everywhere.

And I like this quote from the blog:

"The first thing I noticed was how trim he was. I would guess he's anywhere from 223 to 225 pounds."

Damn, if he can pin it down to that narrow a range, why even give a range?

So if all three QBs are even by halfway through training camp who gets the starting job? I would say Losman because he's the only one of the three that to me looks like he's got upside. As far as I'm concerned Holcomb is on the slippery slope to the retirement home (OK so I'm exagerating a little). Nall has the good arm but slow wheels. If Losman can work through the accuracy issues and gain some poise, he's got both a great arm and nifty feet.

So if all three QBs are even by halfway through training camp who gets the starting job?  I would say Losman because he's the only one of the three that to me looks like he's got upside. . . . Nall has the good arm but slow wheels. 

Brady's wheels are a lot slower than Nall's, so maybe he has the least upside of the three! Or maybe upside is a broader concept than how fast a QB's legs are.

Brady's wheels are a lot slower than Nall's, so maybe he has the least upside of the three!  Or maybe upside is a broader concept than how fast a QB's legs are.

707573[/snapback]

Really, I can't wait to see your reaction if JP succeeds. It will probably ruin your whole year.

That will make for a great story if Nance ends up making the team. There's plenty of time left for him to prove to the Bills they should keep him on the roster come september. It'd be nice to have a receiver with some size as well...to go along with all the speedsters.

Another practice, another mention of Nance making a big play.  You know, it is just AMAZING that the QBs are able to place the ball EXACTLY into his hands every time! 0:)

708090[/snapback]

Polly want a cracker? :doh:

Seriousily though I hope Nance ends up making the team and excelling.

So if all three QBs are even by halfway through training camp who gets the starting job?  I would say Losman because he's the only one of the three that to me looks like he's got upside.  As far as I'm concerned Holcomb is on the slippery slope to the retirement home (OK so I'm exagerating a little).  Nall has the good arm but slow wheels.  If Losman can work through the accuracy issues and gain some poise, he's got both a great arm and nifty feet.

707529[/snapback]

I am not sure where the misconception started that Craig Nall is immobile. He is not as nimble of foot as Losman, but he certainly isn't Drew Bledsoe. He actually, physically, kind of reminded me a bit of Ben Roethlisburger. Huge, strong arm, tough as nails (until yesterday I guess) and deceptively fast. He is raw, to be sure, but there may be something to him.

I hope Losman succeeds, but I am anxious to see Nall play too. I went back and watched the preseason scrimmage, and preseason game between the Bills and Packers. I was just wathcing to see Nall. He was going up against our third string defense, with his third string O-line in front of him (the equivalent of the Bills first string?). The Bills defense braught a major pass rush, nearly every down that Nall was in there. The guy moved in the pocket very well...Marv was an analyst for the preseason game. I can understand why he went after Nall...he looks like an NFL QB. His stats were not great, but he made a few throws, under a ton of pressure, that very few NFL QB's can make.

If Losman & Nall show enough, and JP is the starter, Holcomb will be elsewhere on opening day. You don't need 2 vets as backups when 1 has 1-2 years left in the NFL in what is basically a build upon year, if not a total rebuild year. No matter how many games played in (or not played in), Nall is a veteran.

If Losman & Nall show enough, and JP is the starter, Holcomb will be elsewhere on opening day. You don't need 2 vets as backups when 1 has 1-2 years left in the NFL in what is basically a build upon year, if not a total rebuild year.  No matter how many games played in (or not played in), Nall is a veteran.

708143[/snapback]

I'm kind of wondering about that, if Nall will be gone for not showing enough or Holcomb will be gone for the reason you point to. The signings of extra 3rd QB candidates would make a little more sense, then. Right now it seems like there's a glut, even if Ochs and Woodbury are gone due to injury/expired clock.

I'm kind of wondering about that, if Nall will be gone for not showing enough or Holcomb will be gone for the reason you point to.  The signings of extra 3rd QB candidates would make a little more sense, then.  Right now it seems like there's a glut, even if Ochs and Woodbury are gone due to injury/expired clock.

708179[/snapback]

Ahh - but the assumption is that the Bills need the cap room. Do they? What player or players are out there that we want to sign? None?

Well, then we need to think about how releasing Holcomb helps the team next year or how filling his spot with another (I assume younger) QB is best for this year and the future.

The signing of all the QB's is not costly at all - so the question is there enough footballs around to make having so many QB's in camp make sense? Or does it only mean that they are considering letting one of the top three guys loose?

IMO, all three will be on the team at the start of the season (baring injury)

Yea, I actually like Holcomb -- as a backup QB. He has the right temperment for the job and would be capable of stepping in, so I am not in favor of getting rid of him. But for the long haul, I'd rather see Losman -- and if Losman can't win the job outright then Nall -- at the starting position. Obviously, we want the best man barking signals... If Losman and Nall are both so pathetic that Holcomb does indeed win the starting job, then it tells us that we need to continue shopping for another starter.

In the best of all possible worlds, Losman wins the starting job outright with Nall playing well enough to push him. (We already know what Holcomb brings to the table.) In the instance that Losman loses the starting job either to injury or poor play -- if it's in mid-game, then turn to Holcomb. If it's for a stretch of games, then give Nall the nod.

Of course, with a couple of weeks to go yet before training camp even starts, I suppose we are getting ahead of ourselves...

Ahh - but the assumption is that the Bills need the cap room. Do they? What player or players are out there that we want to sign? None?

Well, then we need to think about how releasing Holcomb helps the team next year or how filling his spot with another (I assume younger) QB is best for this year and the future.

The signing of all the QB's is not costly at all - so the question is there enough footballs around to make having so many QB's in camp make sense? Or does it only mean that they are considering letting one of the top three guys loose?

IMO, all three will be on the team at the start of the season (baring injury)

708183[/snapback]

No, I didn't say a word about cap room. Rather, the assumption is KH doesn't really help us if he is not playing (and I'd argue, doesn't help us much when he is, either). If both Nall and Losman outplay KH, and he's going to be #3 here, we may as well pay less (not cap money, pay less salary this year) for another young buck who is almost certain not to play. I'd imagine Holcomb would also appreciate the opportunity to get the #2-spot replacement gig elsewhere as opposed to being clipboard man.

Really, I can't wait to see your reaction if JP succeeds.  It will probably ruin your whole year.

707584[/snapback]

Of course with the next report that metions Losman threw an interception everyone will say it is time to cut him.

Is throwing a 1 yard pass on 4th and 10 a good decision or a bad one?  If it's bad we're used to that.

707402[/snapback]

If the point here is that Holcomb suks, I agree but as suky as he is, he still was more effective than JP was last year and that makes me very, very nervous.

....and yes, I know all the reasons why we should beleive that JP is going to improve drastically this year and I am not aruging that they don't make sense. However, I will believe it when I see it.*

*Please do not leap to the conclusion that I think Holcomb or Nall should start based on this post, I don't.

Yea, I actually like Holcomb -- as a backup QB. He has the right temperment for the job and would be capable of stepping in, so I am not in favor of getting rid of him. But for the long haul, I'd rather see Losman -- and if Losman can't win the job outright then Nall -- at the starting position. Obviously, we want the best man barking signals... If Losman and Nall are both so pathetic that Holcomb does indeed win the starting job, then it tells us that we need to continue shopping for another starter.

In the best of all possible worlds, Losman wins the starting job outright with Nall playing well enough to push him. (We already know what Holcomb brings to the table.) In the instance that Losman loses the starting job either to injury or poor play -- if it's in mid-game, then turn to Holcomb. If it's for a stretch of games, then give Nall the nod.

Of course, with a couple of weeks to go yet before training camp even starts, I suppose we are getting ahead of ourselves...

708211[/snapback]

Of the three, the most unkown in terms of quality is Nall. He just hasn't had much experience on the field in a game to know much about him. JP has had limited time as well but he does have 1/2 a season of starts and spent a whole off season and camp as the starter getting all the reps. Holcomb is obviously a known quantity, no surprises, what you see is what you get. This is JP's third year in the league and so he is pretty ripe to get it all figured out finally....I hope.

708183[/snapback]

Peters? Fletcher?

If we start the year significantlly under the salary cap I'm going to be pissed. If we still have space, we should try to extend some of our talent and use this year's space to fund it so we're less strapped in the future.

Peters? Fletcher?

If we start the year significantlly under the salary cap I'm going to be pissed.  If we still have space, we should try to extend some of our talent and use this year's space to fund it so we're less strapped in the future.

708318[/snapback]

Yes. Not to be underestimated.

And I know there's the policy of not dealing with contracts mid-year, but making a pre-emptive strike wrt McGahee and a couple others might not be bad. If we feel confident, I'd extend TKO longer, too.

what about resigning nate clements?  Need mad cash to keep him, but i hope they can work out a deal that's reasonable.

708335[/snapback]

If Clements has another year like this past season, let him go...he isn't worth "mad cash".

Not that it means much, but he is ranked as the 22nd best corner in the leauge, by PFW. I think only he, and Bills fans think he is an elite CB. His value was really over-inflated last offseason, simply because he was projected to be the top free agent corner, in the 2006 off-season. Not the best corner in the leauge, just the best corner set to become a free agent. Before that, he was rarely mentioned, outside WNY, as one of the best corners in the leauge.

This team is re-building from the ground up. It would be nice to keep Clements, but not for some absurd price. There have been very few corners in the leauge who can take away their side of the field. Nate Clements is not one of them. He isn't worth franchise player type money. Maybe he and his fellow Ohio State alums have a monster season this year....down for down, Terrance McGee had a much better season, at corner, than Nate Clements did.

I know, I know, this is a topic for another thread....

Yea, I actually like Holcomb -- as a backup QB. He has the right temperment for the job and would be capable of stepping in, so I am not in favor of getting rid of him.

708211[/snapback]

The problem with Holcomb on the roster is that he is always going to be an option for the coaching staff/Veterans to switch to the starting job if the real starter (JP or Nall) falters. Considering how Meathead kept going back to KH to save his own job or under the pressure of Veterans, it would rather be that KH not be on the roster. The problem is KH desires to be the starter, not be content with a backup with an oppurtunity to start if the starter is injured. Unfortunately that kind of intention causes division within the team as seen last year or 5 years ago with Flutie and Johnson

If Clements has another year like this past season, let him go...he isn't worth "mad cash".

Not that it means much, but he is ranked as the 22nd best corner in the leauge, by PFW.  I think only he, and Bills fans think he is an elite CB.  His value was really over-inflated last offseason, simply because he was projected to be the top free agent corner, in the 2006 off-season. Not the best corner in the leauge, just the best corner set to become a free agent.  Before that, he was rarely mentioned, outside WNY, as one of the best corners in the leauge. 

This team is re-building from the ground up.  It would be nice to keep Clements, but not for some absurd price.  There have been very few corners in the leauge who can take away their side of the field.  Nate Clements is not one of them.  He isn't worth franchise player type money.  Maybe he and his fellow Ohio State alums have a monster season this year....down for down, Terrance McGee had a much better season, at corner, than Nate Clements did. 

I know, I know, this is a topic for another thread....

708340[/snapback]

he had a great 04 season, and both lenny p and dr. z had him on their all-pro teams. i trust them more than i do pfw these days.

that said, he had a pretty rough year last year.