Vcoach - Peerless Price signed

VABills

I can't believe all the crybabies in this thread...wahhhh wahhhhhhh we suck.

It's april...relax people. And I wonder what all of you doomsday naysayers will be saying if Peerless Price comes back with a vengeance and has a great season?

Before you write off the entire season and all the players we've signed, why not wait to see what happens in training camp and pre-season at least!

Too much negativity around here... :lol:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be time for some of you to dust off that old PP Jersey. Though, some got tossed away I suspect. :lol:

658095[/snapback]

I bought one at Dicks Sporting Goods for $7.50 a couple of years ago. :pirate:

All I need now is for the Bills to sign Russell Copeland and I'm all set. Maybe even Chris Burkett?

Whats so wrong with the signing? Its not like MArv came out and said PP would be our #1 WR. We signed a FA who has some skills, and are giving him a chance to compete for a position on the team. He performs, he makes it.

Christ people, half of you need prozac.

And i love it how VAdrawf thinks hes cool because he can make up names for JP.

658085[/snapback]

I guess we are in the minority. I kind of like the idea myself. Did anybody excell in Atlanta, at the WR position, while Price was there? Michael Vick, particularly before last year, was not the most accurate of passers, and preferred to run, or throw to his TE.

In Dallas, Price was signed, midway through the season, as depth, because Dallas had numerous injuries at the position. He wasn't ever really given a chance there, to prove he could play or not.

All I know, is when Price was in Buffalo, he may have had a little bit of an attitude, buttery hands at times, but he was a fairly productive reciever for us, not so long ago.

Marv has repeatedly said that he wants competition. As much of it as he can get, at every position.

He gets Nall and says he has the opportunity to compete for the starting job. But that ois a different thread.

We could go back to the glory days but frankly, it was a different era. The salary cap was not an issue. Besides, we all know the story.

If you look at Price from the perspective of a GM that needs to build the franchise on a tight budget, in a struggling market, with limited ammenities to offer free agents, this all makes sense.

In addition to competition, Marv wants character and guys with a chip on thier shoulder and something to prove.

Price is still quick, if not the blazer he was before, but he has something to prove. He will work his ass off to compete for that spot. This can only drive the others to work harder and do better as well. If he succeeds, and I hope he will, he has an opportunity to be comback player of the year. He could be a good #3, and with a minor miracle he can be a #2. His experience can only help the others.

History shows what Peerless can do if he sets his mind to something. It was no coincidence that the last time he was here, he was outstanding in the contract year. He has had a taste of getting cut during the season and that cant have left a good taste in his mouth.

On the other hand, lets say he fails to make the team in training camp. The younger players learn a life lesson. They will see how quickly it can all turn around with either a little bad luck or poor work ethic. They will also be seeing a guy that ran off from a good thing after the big bucks didn't do any better. In fact, he was worse off and was struggling to stay in the league. Might make you think twice if you are a younger player, who may have an opportunity to go after the cash.

It is a win win situation. Good luck Peerless!

89 Aiken, Sam WR 6-2 204 25 4 North Carolina

18 Davis, Andre WR 6-1 195 26 5 Virginia Tech

83 Evans, Lee WR 5-10 197 25 3 Wisconsin

11 Parrish, Roscoe WR 5-9 168 23 2 Miami

82 Reed, Josh WR 5-10 208 25 5 LSU

19 Smith, Jonathan WR 5-10 194 24 3 Georgia Tech

Vann, LaDaris WR 5-11 210 25 1 Cincinnati

15 Wilson, George WR 6-0 210 25 2 Arkansas

Price, Peerless  WR 5-11  190 29 7 Tennessee

658038[/snapback]

WAAAAA I don't want Peerless becasue he stunk with the Falcons. With Michael Vick at QB the Falcons have ruined alot of receiver stats. I see no downside in this pickup. Unless that is you thought Fast Freddy was gonna have a chance at the starting lineup :lol: .Good move signing Price.

This signing means that we pretty much got Willis McGahee for free from the Falcons. God damn, the intelligence that is Marv Levy!

658384[/snapback]

suuuure, copy my post from 3 pages back... :lol:

This thread is from last June:

TSW: Peerless Price may have to retire

Since he did play (a little) with Dallas last season, the situation obviously wasn't as bad as originally thought. I'm assuming he had to pass an eye exam as part of his physical at One Bills Drive....

658282[/snapback]

Thanx, Lori. I hope the local media will post an update in the coming days.

Pats offered 1 year deal to Price, but his agent opted the four year package in Buffalo..per KFFL

658456[/snapback]

This was a gamble by Levy. I am sure that a 4 year deal involves a signing bonus. The Pats could have cut him and lost nothing.

In our case, if he bombs and is cut, it will cost us future cap space.

I hope that his bonus was small.

To me, these WR signings are for the benefit of JP and Nall. Kelly is the 3rd stringer now. Sure he can makes the reads but alot more is required when everybody is running fly patterns.

I have this feeling that Nall will be the starter come September and he's gonna put up some decent numbers if the line plays well. Willis will make the PB too.

This was a gamble by Levy. I am sure that a 4 year deal involves a signing bonus. The Pats could have cut him and lost nothing.

In our case, if he bombs and is cut, it will cost us future cap space.

I hope that his bonus was small.

658473[/snapback]

Well, I'm sure the Pats offered a signing bonus as well (they would have almost HAD to). The difference? If he works out, we get him cheap for 4 years (the bonus is spread across the years). If he took the Pats offer and had a great year...he's gone, or they need to pony up the big bucks. If they cut him, they'd still need to eat the bonus.

Guest dog14787
he's back. 

So we have a blind epileptic squirrel, throwing to a blind wannaa be wide receiver. 

WTF. 

I guess we'll be in LA in no time at all.  :pirate:

657971[/snapback]

:devil:

He was misunderstood in Atlanta , I'm glad he's back!!!!!!!!

Our wide reciever position just got alot better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Why can I not find anything on this 'eye problem' that is being mentioned on this board ? How serious is/was it anyway ? I think this is a good signing* (Not knowing how much we paid for him)

*EDIT: not for $10MM !!!!!

658255[/snapback]

This thread is from last June:

TSW: Peerless Price may have to retire

Since he did play (a little) with Dallas last season, the situation obviously wasn't as bad as originally thought. I'm assuming he had to pass an eye exam as part of his physical at One Bills Drive....

658282[/snapback]

This, from ESPN, December 2004 Falcons' Price says right eye not troublesome

Excerpt from said same linky:

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Peerless Price insists the vision in his right eye is fine, even though an ophthalmologist diagnosed him with a retinal disorder last summer.

Neither the Atlanta Falcons nor their No. 1 receiver will cite a specific reason for his drop-off in production this year. Price has only 32 catches, by far his lowest amount since becoming a starter with Buffalo in 2000.

"There's nothing wrong with me, man," Price said Wednesday. "Just trying to help my team win."

When the season ends, Price plans to undergo a procedure to fix the problem that's forced him to wear a protective shield on his helmet this season.

"It's laser surgery, and we'll do it sometime in February, but it's not corrective surgery," Price said. "It's for my retina."

His ophthalmologist discovered the disorder during a routine checkup for his contact lenses. Because surgery would require him to miss at least a couple of weeks, Price decided to wait until after the season to undergo the procedure.

Many NFL players use a protective shield for similar problems, but the league first must receive a written diagnosis from a physician. Price does acknowledge occasionally struggling with the glare created when the shield is held up to bright lights.

"I don't like playing in it," Price said. "But I can't afford to risk someone poking me in eye or anything like that."

Acquired from the Bills for a first-round draft pick and later given a $10 million signing bonus as part of a new contract, Price caught 64 passes for 838 yards and three touchdowns last year.

Those numbers were far from his career year of 2002, but Price believed playing a full season alongside quarterback Michael Vick could help him approach his statistics from his last year in Buffalo (94 catches for 1,252 yards and nine scores).

the problem with this is that apparently (buffalo news story) he signed a 4 year deal worth $10 million... ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? :P He got cut twice last year. Who was banging down his door offering millions that we had to spend that much????????? :lol:

if we cut him we still take a cap hit, don't we? why would we risk this? sign him to a one year, low money with a ton of incentives... then it's low risk-high gain... but now it's high risk-low gain if you ask me.

the problem with this is that apparently (buffalo news story) he signed a 4 year deal worth $10 million... ARE YOU KIDDING ME???  :P  He got cut twice last year.  Who was banging down his door offering millions that we had to spend that much????????? :lol:

if we cut him we still take a cap hit, don't we?  why would we risk this?  sign him to a one year, low money with a ton of incentives... then it's low risk-high gain... but now it's high risk-low gain if you ask me.

658733[/snapback]

If the Bills cut him they only take a cap hit for his guaranteed money (i.e. signing bonus). It's impossible to know how much the deal is really for, it could be heavily back-loaded and Price will never see that cash. For instance, if the 4th year of the deal is for $5m then the Bills would get Price for $5m for the first three years and only take a small cap hit for the remainder of the bonus if they cut him after that.

I don't understand people who get all bent out of shape about the overall numbers of a deal. Those numbers are generally padded by agents so they can say, "look, I got this guy $10 million over 4 years!"

This deal is similar to Holcumb's right?

I do not know what the big deal is over this contract, it is reasonable...if PP produces, let's say, 30-40 catches for a few TD's, then the contract isn't too bad...and to me, those are realistic projections.

Who cares, the contact is set up to give him money if he performs.  Whats wrong with that?

658793[/snapback]

It's wrong because Marv is the GM, he sucks, and should be fired, and the Bills are done this year before they even started. You did not receive this memo? :P:lol:

Any chance we can still reacquire Todd Collins? :P

658614[/snapback]

Good afternoon gentlemen

Bravo for this footnote referencing Mr. Collins, inspiring a certain eschatological thought on my part

Perhaps one of the greatest atrocities in the history of Bills had been the unjustful termination of Mr. Collins - there was a segment of the Hooligan Ultras who deliberately wished Mr. Collins to fail, as they saw him as the usurper of the Kaka Gun era of Mr. Kelly

I recall Mr. Collins' Marshal Zhukovesque leadership in a Bills victory over the Cowboys an autumn afternoon many years ago

Brief note regarding Mr. Price:

the signing has generated interest for purely nostalgic reasons gentlemen

Price is an afterthought in the immense neocortex of our Fuehrer Mr. Jauron

Mr. Levy has instead performed a brilliant propaganda maneuver unseen since the days of the Reich -

Mr. Levy's logic with the Price signing: to appease a certain primordial homesickness that as Lacan describes has begun with the original dehiscence

I will be willing to wager one of my mistresses that Mr. Reed, Mr. Parrish and Mr. Davis will be more important contributors.

Sidenote: Attention Mike Schneck - The Hooligan Ultras have noticed you did not attend Mr. Jauron's first voluntary camp workout. That is a deliberate sign of disrespect to Mr. Jauron's regime. The primordial f*cking real of hegemony and violence.

All that matters in this deal is the signing bonus. Before I crucify the front office on this one--I want to make sure I understand the up front guarantee.

The upside of the old Peerless is intriguing but I also recall the untimely fumbles, penalties and other drive killing errors...

We have a lot of speed at wideout--but can any of them get open without Moulds occupying two guys....that's the big question.

If the Bills cut him they only take a cap hit for his guaranteed money (i.e. signing bonus).  It's impossible to know how much the deal is really for, it could be heavily back-loaded and Price will never see that cash.  For instance, if the 4th year of the deal is for $5m then the Bills would get Price for $5m for the first three years and only take a small cap hit for the remainder of the bonus if they cut him after that.

I don't understand people who get all bent out of shape about the overall numbers of a deal.  Those numbers are generally padded by agents so they can say, "look, I got this guy $10 million over 4 years!"

658740[/snapback]

I agree with this post. I like the signing of price. I mean Atlanta signed him for "a $37 million contract with a $10 million signing bonus" I think are 10 mil for 4 year is very modest. I was looking at hi numbers and he didn't do too bad his first year with atl he had 64 rep with 838 yards with a QB that didn't throw to him much. I live in Atl and i read alot into the Vick Price deal. Price was mad cus vick run alot and didn;t throw to him. After going with 94 reps and 1252 yards with the bills bad OL and signing a huge deal and only geting 64 reps but still putting up yards i see why he was mad. Price wasn't good for Atl they are a russing team. I think he will do fine back in Buffalo. And he is still young. As for the price for Price 5 mil in the first 3 years isn;t bad. We paid Davis 1.3 mil for one. Thats my point of view you can agree or not i just thought i would put it out there.

I agree with this post. I like the signing of price. I mean Atlanta signed him for "a $37 million contract with a $10 million signing bonus" I think are 10 mil for 4 year is very modest. I was looking at hi numbers and he didn't do too bad his first year with atl he had 64 rep with 838 yards with a QB that didn't throw to him much. I live in Atl and i read alot into the Vick Price deal. Price was mad cus vick run alot and didn;t throw to him. After going with 94 reps and 1252 yards with the bills bad OL and signing a huge deal and only geting 64 reps but still putting up yards i see why he was mad. Price wasn't good for Atl they are a russing team. I think he will do fine back in Buffalo. And he is still young. As for the price for Price 5 mil in the first 3 years isn;t bad. We paid Davis 1.3 mil for one. Thats my point of view you can agree or not i just thought i would put it out there.

659005[/snapback]

I just wanted to add this link explains about Vick and Price. Also after reading look up Jenkins stats look alot like Prices with ATL.

http://msn.blogs.foxsports.com/Robstylz/20...essing_or_Curse

All that matters in this deal is the signing bonus.  Before I crucify the front office on this one--I want to make sure I understand the up front guarantee.

The upside of the old Peerless is intriguing but I also recall the untimely fumbles, penalties and other drive killing errors...

We have a lot of speed at wideout--but can any of them get open without Moulds occupying two guys....that's the big question.

658991[/snapback]

Clayton, who may not be the most reliable reporter but isn't always wrong, said Price was going to make a little less than 3 million this year. If true, that almost without question puts his signing bonus at 2 million, along with 750K veteran minimum salary this year. So that's 500 K a year bonus. Not much. If we cut him after this year, he counts less than 3 million (and is split between this year and next), which is what Josh Reed makes. If we cut him after two years, it will cost us a little over 2 million per. Not much for a WR. If he plays well or very well, he's a steal.

If we cut him after this year, he counts less than 3 million (and is split between this year and next), which is what Josh Reed makes. If we cut him after two years, it will cost us a little over 2 million per. Not much for a WR. If he plays well or very well, he's a steal.

659053[/snapback]

If his bonus is 2 mil, how can he ever "count" 3 mil if he is cut?

If he is cut after this year, but before 06/01/07, his bonus hit would be 1.5 mil, minus his year 2 salary, no?

If his bonus is 2 mil, how can he ever "count" 3 mil if he is cut?

If he is cut after this year, but before 06/01/07, his bonus hit would be 1.5 mil, minus his year 2 salary, no?

659066[/snapback]

I said less than three mil, because of the 2 mil bonus plus this year's salary, which is very likely about 750K. That is the total number we would pay him. And I also said "split between this year and next" if he is cut after this year. So we would "owe" 1.5 mil in dead cap next year.