Dan Orlovsky: Bills offensive weapons are top five in the AFC, too many are sleeping on this team

Logic

3 hours ago, eball said:

I've learned not to care what national media talking heads say about the Bills because they are rarely doing a "deep dive" into the specifics and are just reacting to groupthink or a headline.  Orlovsky studies, and he knows that a QB's best friend is multiple options so he doesn't have to force the ball in one particular place.

The counterpoint is asking who is the "go-to" guy when you absolutely need a play, and I'd say that for this team it's going to be Kincaid -- and that doesn't concern me one bit.

Based on the last half of last season, I think you could make the case for Kincaid or Shakir.

Hopefully having quality up and down the WR depth chart will stress the opposition's secondary depth enough that they can't focus on taking away a specific player and/or Shakir continues to shine when he is the WR that draws the big boy coverage.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, FireChans said:

When we had “one stud and little else,” do you mean when we had Gabe Davis, Khalil Shakir, Dalton Kincaid and James Cook?

I don't even think we had one stud -- just a guy who thought he was but disappeared down the stretch and pouted.

• Agree 2

The Bills are fine and I, for one, am very happy that the spotlight won't be ANYWHERE near them as they start the season.

As long as the Bills have Josh Allen, they will ALWAYS be in the SB mix.

The defense needs to come through (which includes the coaching staff) and Allen's weapons need to hold to the ball to win a championship. Period. End of story. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't even think we had one stud -- just a guy who thought he was but disappeared down the stretch and pouted.

Fair enough.

Did you think those other names were “little else?”

The NFL punditry are just grasping for topics until training camps open. No one has any idea if this offensive group is good or not. You can certainly point at past performances by players but whatever. 

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

***** is Steve Diggs?

You might know him by his fancy name.  STEFON

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Top 5 in the AFC is not that impressive lol. 

Basically Orlovsky is saying that by the divisional round, we will likely have the worst weapons of the remaining teams. 

Cool bar I guess?

When we had “one stud and little else,” do you mean when we had Gabe Davis, Khalil Shakir, Dalton Kincaid and James Cook?

The most important thing going into every season and after every season is to be at the top of the rankings of weapons by the backwards hat wearing youtube scouts who watch film.

Don Shula and Bill Parcells used to talk about this all the time.  

• Haha (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Logic said:

My responses in bold.

It's not as if I said the Bills skill players are dog poop or anything. I said I'd rank them about sixth in the AFC, and listed who I'd rank ahead of them. YMMV.

Man, I used to read your stuff and agree but your takes have been hard to agree with this off season dude. 

You’d rather have ETN, Gabe Davis (who we didn’t want to resign), And Christian Kirk over our weapons?! YIKES

youd rather have a 32 year old DHop, Calvin Ridley, Tyler Boyd, and Tony Pollard over the Bills offense?!  Ouch. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Agree 2

I think the biggest thing that is creating division in opinions of the weaponry is the TE position. Not everyone places the same value on TEs.

Knox and Kincaid are a really strong duo. Not sure there is a better pair in the league. I could honestly see 1500 yards from them next year if they stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I figured I'd give this its own thread, because this board could use a little hit of positivity going into the weekend. I've been as loud a critic of the Bills' offensive moves as anyone this offseason, so allow me to share a contrary opinion:

He and Mina are both correct.

7 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Man, I used to read your stuff and agree but your takes have been abysmal this off season dude. 

You’d rather have ETN, Gabe Davis (who we didn’t want to resign), And Christian Kirk over our weapons?! YIKES

youd rather have a 32 year old DHop, Calvin Ridley, Tyler Boyd, and Tony Pollard over the Bills offense?!  Ouch. 

I'll miss you. Best of luck in future endeavors.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'll miss you. Best of luck in future endeavors.

I asked questions my man, 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

What if they had a stud and multiple good options

That is probably a potential for next years offseason depending on where they finish and minnesota finishes.

Defensive line and corner are going to demand high resources though also.  

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

That is probably a potential for next years offseason depending on where they finish and minnesota finishes.

I also don't know what "multiple good options" means. I mean that could describe literally every offense in the NFL if you squint your eyes hard enough.

• Thank you (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I asked questions my man, 

I already gave answers. I'm sorry you didn't like them. Let me try again.

Christian Kirk posted an 1100 yard season and then was on pace for a 1200 yard season last year before getting injured. No current Bills receiver has EVER even eclipsed 900 receiving yards, let alone 1,000. Curtis Samuel's career best receiving yardage total was 15 yards better than Gabe's, but Gabe scored more TDs that year. Brian Thomas was ranked higher on every draft board everywhere than Keon Coleman. Had he been on the board when the Bills picked, they would have taken him over Keon Coleman. While we love Kincaid's potential, he has yet to post a 900 yard season, which Evan Engram just did.

As for the Titans: DeAndre Hopkins has 12,000 career receiving yards and 78 TDs. Even last year, at age 31, he still had -- yep, you guessed it -- over 1,000 yards, which -- can you guess what I'm gonna say next? -- is more than any current Bills receiver has ever had. Calvin Ridley has 1,000 more receiving yards and 14 more receiving TDs than Curtis Samuel in two LESS seasons than Samuel. Tyler Boyd has played just one more season than Curtis Samuel, but has 2600 more yards and 9 more TDs.

So yes. I think both the Jaguars and Titans -- based primarily on career production vs "potential" -- have better weapons than the Bills. Objectively speaking, the stats back me up. In some cases, HUGELY so. I'd be willing to be that if you were to poll most unbiased NFL fans, they'd agree.

It's perfectly fine that you disagree with me, and perfectly fine that you find my opinions abysmal. I'll survive. Have a nice Memorial Day. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I also don't know what "multiple good options" means. I mean that could describe literally every offense in the NFL if you squint your eyes hard enough.

well here it means adding to the group of pass catchers.  

Buffalo has built an excellent running game and has a fabulous quarterback.  

So naturally adding to Allen, The O-Line, Cook, Davis, Knox, Kincaid, Coleman, Shakir, Samuel.

Essentially the backend of the wr room is going to fluctuate like the dline is.  

If no one emerges as the top outside guy then I imagine they will seek one out in the draft/free agency as the top outside guy.  On the flip side if coleman works out and they like having guys who lineup all over I would imagine they are drafting middle rd wr again or mid level guys in free agency.

I am pretty positive this is a good group on offense.  I am not so sure the defensive line and cornerback group is anything special.  I will go as far as saying this team right now to me will not get over the hump in the AFC as they are currently on Defense.  

Dan Orlovsky: Bills offensive weapons are top five in the AFC, too many are sleeping on this team

Great to hear.  The obvious conclusion then is that there will be no excuses if our offense underachieves with Allen at the helm.  

After getting SB hyped every season, I truly love going into this season w/ the general consensus being "they lost Diggs and a bunch of guys - they're taking a step back."

Health is the key - but this team has as good a chance at the title as we've seen in the JA era. I love this team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2