Josh thinks he can come off the bench in the NBA

1 hour ago, Special K said:

Looked it up and he is listed at 205, which is a surprise to me....thought I remember the announcers on a Magic broadcast saying he was 6-5 240 and me equating him and Josh Allen size-wise after that was said....oh well, at least I had the height correct!

I wanted to add one more thing about Suggs.....he plays Basketball like a football player!!

Taking charges, diving on the floor for loose balls, etc.....there isn't a game where he doesn't end up on the floor multiple times.

Also, when he throws a successful full court pass that leads to a basket, he throws up the "Touchdown" sign as homage to his QB days....pretty cool.

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's not much of a boast.  half this board could suit up and go in when the coach empties the bench up by 40....

I've often thought of you as a critical poster, but I think you may have just made the most delusional comment on this boards prowess since its inception.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Hockey is a completely different realm because it requires the athlete to already be an incredible ice skater.  Nba and NFL players are running.  Give some nba and nfl players up to speed on skates and they could compete+ imo

Maybe.  Theres an incredible skill component to hockey too.  Being a great skater and great athlete is not necessary to be a great hockey player.  The greatest hockey player of all time had a training regimen of 6 pushups in the offseason.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2023/08/13/wayne-gretzky-six-pushups-92-goals/

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Maybe.  Theres an incredible skill component to hockey too.  Being a great skater and great athlete is not necessary to be a great hockey player.  The greatest hockey player of all time had a training regimen of 6 pushups in the offseason.

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2023/08/13/wayne-gretzky-six-pushups-92-goals/

For sure and the two best players in the nba today can’t run or jump and are known for their indulgences with booze.  They are exceptions rather than the rule, similar to Wayne.

was wayne not considered a great skater?   .  

12 hours ago, boyst said:

Yeah, the NBA is as dead as ever. I love they're trying to get a little of this side piece hustle called the nfl. Maybe if they actually enforced rules, had discipline and integrity in their league, and stop pandering to the showboat antics that have taken over their league people would care.

I’ve never seen a sport in which it seems that pretty regularly a team is down 20+ in the first half yet “miraculously” comes back to win.  And the way the end of games are manipulated is outrageous.  There’s a hilarious Instagram feed of a dude who makes fun of the officiating and lack of traveling, palming, and other basic calls.

Yeah, there are a few guys I enjoy watching but the game doesn’t hold a candle to watching the NCAA.

9 hours ago, mannc said:

Bills’ coach Ronald Curry might be the best basketball/football athlete of the last 20 years…number 1 ranked national recruit in both sports.

Never unsderstoos that ranking.  Die hard UNC hoops fan here.  Dude was turrble on the court AND on the gridiron in college. Just awful.  To my eye, he was the epitome of an incredible  athlete that very little skill or sports IQ.

His only chance to play in the nfl was at WR and had zero chance at making the NBA. He was one of the most athletic specimens in HS sports history.  He was a Hs legend for sure.  When he spurned his hometown school, UVA, for UNC, it sent shockwaves throughout the state.  He chose UNC because wanted to focus on making the NBA because nba players made more money, but he also started played QB

I think Suggs was a better prospect in both sports 

The name that has escaped me throughout this thread is Charlie Ward.  Heisman trophy winning QB who was drafted in the 1st rd, played (and started) in the nba for several seasons.  He wasn’t drafted in the nfl, partly due to nfl teams knowing he had a better chance of playing basketball.   I remembering reading that the KC chiefs almost drafted him in rd 2, but didn’t want to risk wasting the pick if he went to the nba.

7 hours ago, Steve Billieve said:

I've often thought of you as a critical poster, but I think you may have just made the most delusional comment on this boards prowess since its inception.

well it's a bit of hyperbole.  but it's the only circumstance any NBA HC would sub in nearly any NFL guy. 

That's not a tough concept to contemplate...

13 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

The talent in the NBA right now is fantastic. The officiating is unbearable. It has killed my fandom.

Another issue is that the league is full of diva crybabies like Lebron. It’s embarrassing to watch 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, boyst said:

The talent is over celebrated mediocracy. Go back and look at the 90s when the players actually had to play ball and be tough. Yes they didn't shoot as pretty, and you're right they're offense wasn't superb back then. But, they played defense and they weren't a bunch of b******

Hilarious to see this on an NFL board. Total lack of awareness. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Hilarious to see this on an NFL board. Total lack of awareness. 

highlights of last nights nba game:

player throws ball from missed shot to player just before half court. said player dribbles once to go dunk in a stupid look at me moment while his team is down 12.

player throws 3 pt throw and misses. all of court running to other side of court to switch to offense without thinking defense

free throw attempt 5 of 12 made by super star player

lebron james falls down to his knees because a bench player came in and screened him. 30 seconds of lebron on the ground trying to win an emmy followed by 5 minutes of him crying at the podium that he's the victim and the game was stolen from him despite losing by 19

journalists asking a player how he *feels* after a game.

losing team walks out of the locker room after game all silent because they're focused but music blaring in their locker room and their outfits look like some goofball representation of Hunger Games wardrobe ensemble would be.

all the while, the whole night may have seen a worthwhile 8 minutes of basketball.

yeah, basketball is ridiculous, stupid, and the average nba player is a princess.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

highlights of last nights nba game:

player throws ball from missed shot to player just before half court. said player dribbles once to go dunk in a stupid look at me moment while his team is down 12.

player throws 3 pt throw and misses. all of court running to other side of court to switch to offense without thinking defense

free throw attempt 5 of 12 made by super star player

lebron james falls down to his knees because a bench player came in and screened him. 30 seconds of lebron on the ground trying to win an emmy followed by 5 minutes of him crying at the podium that he's the victim and the game was stolen from him despite losing by 19

journalists asking a player how he *feels* after a game.

losing team walks out of the locker room after game all silent because they're focused but music blaring in their locker room and their outfits look like some goofball representation of Hunger Games wardrobe ensemble would be.

all the while, the whole night may have seen a worthwhile 8 minutes of basketball.

yeah, basketball is ridiculous, stupid, and the average nba player is a princess.

you are free to not like the NBA for whatever reason you want, but you said your problem with it was that it wasn’t as physical as it used to be. My point was that that is a ridiculous reason because the NFL has softened its game far more, relatively speaking, and you don’t seem to have an issue with that. Personally I don’t love the NBA, but I like it a lot more without pieces of **** like Bill Lambier in it.

well said...I just wish a tribute banner to the Braves would be hung from our arena that pays homage to McAdoo, Randy Smith and Coach Jack Ramsey...there are fond memories of fanastic games against the Lakers and Celtics in the old Aud, with Van Miller doing PxP on Tues and Sat nites, then doing post-game, the hustling back to WBEN TV studio to do his 11 PM sports segment..my personal highlight was a DH with the Globetrotters (with Meadlowlark Lemon and Curly Neal) going first then the Braves beating the Pistons and Buffalo Bob Lanier with several of my close childhood friends totally loving it...we also played basketball in suburban Buffalo all winter ling, dribbling the ball no higher than our knee due to the cold and snow and playing at nite under flood-lights, if we werent playing hockey on frozen ponds or tackle football in the snowy street...mom put newspapers on the kitchen floor so we could eat our bologna sandwhiches and kraft macaroni and cheese without taking  our boots or skates off...

37 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

you are free to not like the NBA for whatever reason you want, but you said your problem with it was that it wasn’t as physical as it used to be. My point was that that is a ridiculous reason because the NFL has softened its game far more, relatively speaking, and you don’t seem to have an issue with that. Personally I don’t love the NBA, but I like it a lot more without pieces of **** like Bill Lambier in it.

this is the most bizarre take on an argument ever.

because i said something about the NBA the NFL must be drawn as a comparison?

is that seriously your argument? because...jesus christ, that's like Billy Madison debate level bad.

Please, let me know if this is your decision so i know how to proceed.

Posted (edited)

Today's NBA teams would absolutely smoke most of the teams from the 90s. There is way more talent in the league and the idea that’s it’s soft is just a narrative.  Viewer ratings and fan attendance is solid. Hate it all you want but don’t be delusional 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

this is the most bizarre take on an argument ever.

because i said something about the NBA the NFL must be drawn as a comparison?

is that seriously your argument? because...jesus christ, that's like Billy Madison debate level bad.

Please, let me know if this is your decision so i know how to proceed.

I’m good. lol

• Haha (+1) 1

I love how Greeny represents ESPN management in this segment.   Sitting back, sipping coffee, watching blow hards yell and scream over one another like toddlers. This is their model.            

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I’m good. lol

ok, i'll drop this easy for you:

• the NFL has softened up. i have said this many times. I think many people here have heard me say it. these grown men playing sports for kids are not any tougher or doing anything more dangerous than the most dangerous jobs in this country: logging, farming, firefighting, policing, or being a guest on The View
  • the nba is not as physical as it used to be and maybe thats because it's safer or maybe not but that has nothing to do with the nfl or comparing the nba to the nfl.
  • i'm over the top in any statement i make - including the pussification of all of this world, not just the nfl, nba, nfl, or real manly sports like wrestling.